Quantcast

» «
Photo

How would you rate the map of GTA V?

253 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you rate the map of V? (293 member(s) have cast votes)

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate it?

1. 1 (Absolutely sh*tty) (11 votes [3.75%])

Percentage of vote: 3.75%

2. 2 (Awful) (1 votes [0.34%])

Percentage of vote: 0.34%

3. 3 (Poor) (4 votes [1.37%])

Percentage of vote: 1.37%

4. 4 (Below average) (16 votes [5.46%])

Percentage of vote: 5.46%

5. 5 (Average) (22 votes [7.51%])

Percentage of vote: 7.51%

6. 6 (Above average) (20 votes [6.83%])

Percentage of vote: 6.83%

7. 7 (Good map overall, despite some major flaws) (89 votes [30.38%])

Percentage of vote: 30.38%

8. 8 (Very good map with some minor flaws) (72 votes [24.57%])

Percentage of vote: 24.57%

9. 9 (An extremely well-crafted map) (37 votes [12.63%])

Percentage of vote: 12.63%

10. 10 (Just perfect, best map in the series) (21 votes [7.17%])

Percentage of vote: 7.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote
ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by ChiroVette, A week ago.

Why would you dig a 1 year old topic like this?

Correction: You would have to go back a bit further than my post if you want to get pissy about a thread from a year ago being bumped.

Definitely a 10/10, the more I play it. I think I may have initially given it a mere 9/10, but the more I explore, lavish in the details, and get lost in all the awesome scenery (city and rural) the more 10 this map is.

• Mastah likes this

D T
  • D T

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by D T, A week ago.

The worst part is, Rockstar knew the map layout sucked long before launch, but they refused to change it. That's why their own editors tried to conceal the freeway in this trailer.

gtav8_by_xbulletz-d6f8z25.gif
  • Algonquin Assassin, theGTAking101 and Misunderstood like this

Pastry
  • Pastry

im fed up with this worl

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted A week ago

It's definitely a 7 for me. I was really excited to get away from the concrete jungle vibe in LC when it first released, but these days I just keep on coming back to IV due to the lack of it tbh. Los Santos, while actually larger than IV's LC and Alderney in technicality, felt smaller due to the open design of things. I know real life LA is full of massive open streets and such, but look at San Andreas' version of Los Santos. It was a fairly small map in general, but it felt bigger thanks to the layout and road mapping (draw distance also played a massive role but making V have small draw distance would just be weird). GTA V's LS just seems like it was built with a racing game focus in mind, yet there are barely any street races, and almost none of them make use of downtown's huge open streets. Los Santos also had very weak vegetation compared to real life LA (but that's for another rant).

Once you move out of LS, the roads start to get a lot more complex due to the mountainous landscape. Liberty City had a huge grid like map and a bunch of water that made moving to the next island at least a tad bit inconvenient, giving the illusion of size. Los Santos has a bunch of mountains that just seem like bad excuses to make annoying winding roads that drag on your journey. I know that real life LA is actually pretty much surrounded by mountains, but I feel like they could have let creative geography take charge here instead of realism. They could have just left Mount Josiah and Chilliad stay, while trading in the other ones for more exciting, unique small communities. San Andreas had a good bunch of small towns to explore and they really made the countryside a lot more fun (imo).

Once you get past the first few layers of mountain, you come across the Grand Senora Desert. In reality, it's not really grand at all. It's a Vice Beach sized stretch of sand textures and fences. They could have at least removed those hills next to the Liqour Ace to make way for more desert land. Real life Slab City has massive open stretches of desert and a few main roads going through it. To the west of it is Raton Canyon, probably the only area I little problems with.

The last layer of the map is Paleto Bay and Mount Chilliad. Paleto Bay should've had much, much more forest area than it does. It's not a dark, desolate forest, untouched by man. It looks like a park with big trees and a highway going through it. It's a nice area, sure, but it could have been something bigger than 3 straight lines. Unlike San Andreas, Mount Chilliad doesn't have any proper roads going up it (probably more realistic that way too). Instead it has two tight hiker trails. Most of the time when you go up it, you use aircraft or take one of the trails. One starts out in Paleto Forest and the other in Grapeseed, so you only ever see two sides of the mountain. They could have added more trails that go up it near the Up-N-Atom rocket joint in Paleto or by Stab City, so you get to see more of it. I like the fact that they placed a (letter scrap?) collectible on one of the cooler flat arch areas (no idea what you call them) on the mountain. Sadly, doing 100% is probably one of the only times you get to see such nice areas. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I'll leave for you to decide.

In my opinion, they didn't do a very good job of utilizing the whole map. The east side of the map feels very neglected, which is interesting because Mount Gordo and the forest area behind the oil fields (at least in my opinion) were very well built. You spend most of the story and even side missions sitting in Los Santos or going up and down Route 68 like a paraplegic in a rocket wheelchair. Even with all of my rantings about "what could've been" and how the layout sucks donckey dick, it's the small things that really bring it together. The bumps in the road with actual depth, realistic cityscape, unique pit stops like Rebel Radio or the pink dino near the quarry, background sounds, animals, animated oil wells, traffic cars (not counting all the sh*t from latest online updates), "random" events and few copy pasted assets. It's better than previous maps, but it could have been better than it is right now.

• Algonquin Assassin, Official General, Cutter De Blanc and 3 others like this

polaris23
  • polaris23

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

(Very good map with some minor flaws)

When I saw this part of the map for the first time,

78dJezS.jpg

I thought that it is a huge residential neighborhood like Lincoln Heights in L.A., but it is nothing but a dirty roads and some industrial objects. This place sucks.

+ Forest sucks.

+ Desert is too small.

I always wished GTA neighborhoods to be large, like real neighborhoods are, one day. Not those 'standard GTA neighborhoods' consisted of just 3-4 blocks. And finally, we have Vinewood Hills and La Puerta, they're large enough for me. Also big thanks to R* for countryside with small towns, I really love the atmosphere of a small town since GTA SA, this is what I really missed in IV.

SRd7Yw8.jpg

Dude I thought the same thing! I still remember sitting on the toilet looking at the paper map while the game installed in the other room, specifically eyeballing the El Burro Heights area imagining it being like the ghetto suburbs I grew up in (I was born and raised in East L.A.) but when I finally drove there, it's just an annoying, hilly mess with a bunch of obstacles. Ugh.
  • Official General likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

The worst part is, Rockstar knew the map layout sucked long before launch, but they refused to change it. That's why their own editors tried to conceal the freeway in this trailer.

That's a pretty wild theory you have there. lol That Rockstar "concealed" a freeway in a trailer?

I don't get it. Not sure what country you live in, but here in the US, there are many mountains and mountain ranges, in and out of the West Coast, that have highways and main thoroughfares  nearby or in plain view of tall mountains. In many cases, these large arteries are the main roads running through, which allow for easy transport into and out of the very rural areas.

By the way, I love how you subliminally misrepresent the roads near Chilliad and other mountains in the game, with your use of the word "freeway." Have you been to LA? Have you been to large cities with actual freeways that have upwards of five lanes of traffic in each direction?

You know, if you personally don't like the map, no harm, no foul. But to deliberately conflate the roads in that area with a "freeway," which signifies much larger roads, is manipulative at best, in a surreptitious attempt to paint your opinion as fact. Just say you don't like the map or the map layout. Nobody can argue with that.

I will say that I absolutely LOVE how you chose to post a stunningly gorgeous picture of amazing scenery in Blaine County to try and make your point that the map layout sucks.

lol Nice try, though. :r*:

polaris23
  • polaris23

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

That's a pretty wild theory you have there. lol That Rockstar "concealed" a freeway in a trailer?

I don't get it. Not sure what country you live in, but here in the US, there are many mountains and mountain ranges, in and out of the West Coast, that have highways and main thoroughfares  nearby or in plain view of tall mountains. In many cases, these large arteries are the main roads running through, which allow for easy transport into and out of the very rural areas.

By the way, I love how you subliminally misrepresent the roads near Chilliad and other mountains in the game, with your use of the word "freeway." Have you been to LA? Have you been to large cities with actual freeways that have upwards of five lanes of traffic in each direction?

You know, if you personally don't like the map, no harm, no foul. But to deliberately conflate the roads in that area with a "freeway," which signifies much larger roads, is manipulative at best, in a surreptitious attempt to paint your opinion as fact. Just say you don't like the map or the map layout. Nobody can argue with that.

I will say that I absolutely LOVE how you chose to post a stunningly gorgeous picture of amazing scenery in Blaine County to try and make your point that the map layout sucks.

Yeah I don't agree with him either on the freeway thing. But that image does fool us into believing there is large areas of forests. Anyone know exactly where this is in the game? Kind of looks like the mountains by Fort Zancudo

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Yeah I don't agree with him either on the freeway thing.

You should agree with him. The trailer scene was intentionally misleading. The freeway is between the hikers and the mountain in that scene. They just angled the camera so you couldn't see it.  

0_0.jpg

• Algonquin Assassin, D T, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Yeah I don't agree with him either on the freeway thing. But that image does fool us into believing there is large areas of forests. Anyone know exactly where this is in the game? Kind of looks like the mountains by Fort Zancudo

A few things to consider:

1. That is just a screenshot, presumably taken from a trailer? It isn't a lie, it isn't dissembling, it isn't obfuscating. We have NO EARTHLY idea, other than wild-eyed, anti-V-Snore-Fanboy speculation by some people (not saying you) to try and use every, single little nugget of minutia that has been sitting up their asses for coming up on four years now. NOBODY from Rockstar ever said there would be vast forests, at least not that I can recall.

2. By the way? All that picture shows is some mountains with scattered trees and campers looking down and out into the scenery. Nothing more, nothing less. That shot is actually in the game, so it isn't some fabrication; it looks beautiful, both in that shot and in the game, and only the most cravenly misrepresentation of the facts at hand can even begin to cast it into aspersion as somehow deceptive or "false advertising." To claim such (and again, I am not saying you are) is absolute folly.

3. As someone who has played this game a lot, I think the scene looks just as good the way it is shown AND with the road in view. If the road was some low-res crap, or was aesthetically an eyesore or something, and its inclusion in the scene would make it look worse or not as appealing, then maybe I can see what people are saying, but even that would be a pretty huge stretch. It isn't like the road is cringe-worthy and needs to be hidden or Rockstar wouldn't have sold their billions in revenue. It frankly amazes me that people have to grasp at such straws, in the form of mindless ephemera, when making claims of deception.

As I said in another post, why not just say "I don't like this or that, personally, because I was really hoping for a forest I could get lost in." Then nobody can challenge your opinion because it is just how the game disappointed you personally, but not couched as some universal, end-all-be-all claim to some gaming empiricism.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted A week ago

I remember before release thinking that the hikers must've been at the edge of a forest or something. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's false advertising, but it's a pretty good example of how camera angles can be used to exaggerate scale and proximity.

• gunziness and theGTAking101 like this

D T
  • D T

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by D T, A week ago.

I've never heard the word surreptitious before. And I definitely wasn't trying to pull any jedi mind tricks, not that they'd work on someone as well educated as you. As others have pointed out, it was a deliberate camera trick to make the mountain range appear more vast than it was. No mountain hiker is going to be posing in front of a road. They did the same thing with this scene.

maxresdefault.jpg

Rockstar increased the fog density to hide the beach, making the city appear much larger.

• Algonquin Assassin and theGTAking101 like this

The American Army 1775
  • The American Army 1775

Omm

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

GTA V's map really lacks something. Though the city has brought a major change in the history of OW games, still, 75 -/- of it's map is covered by the useless sand. The main Los Santos City feels too small. I was extremely disappointed after seeing V's LS.
GTA San Andreas' s Los Santos felt bigger and better than V's.

10★ for Los Santos 1992 and
3☆ for Los Santos 2013.
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

-Voron-
  • -Voron-

JUST YOUR FRIEND LJT TELLING YOU MOTHERf*ckECKOCEKR

• Members
  • Russia

Posted A week ago Edited by -Voron-, A week ago.

i voted for 7. Crater feeling creates illusion that you are surrounded by mountains and you see the edges of the map. Therefore it feels small and you feel "limited". In GTA SA , i never got the feeling that the map is small because of its diversity and overall its not just a potato shaped map. It has different towns and small countryside cities. GTA SA also has missions in those mentioned areas so it gives them story/background/feel to those places which of course makes us remember them very well.

IMO in games which has countrysides , city is the main point of interest. Since gta v has only one city and it doesnt even make up significant part of the map, it feels small and boring.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

I've never heard the word surreptitious before. And I definitely wasn't trying to pull any jedi mind tricks, not that they'd work on someone as well educated as you. As others have pointed out, it was a deliberate camera trick to make the mountain range appear more vast than it was. No mountain hiker is going to be posing in front of a road. They did the same thing with this scene.

Rockstar increased the fog density to hide the beach, making the city appear much larger.

The problem here is threefold:

One, you and others are presupposing that these innocuous shots that are not showing beaches (in this case) or a road in the other case, are intentionally misleading. As if somehow beaches in a fictitious city representing the real life Los Angeles (which, by the way, is famous for its beaches lol)  would be bad for gross sales or cause people to fear losing immersion? And showing roads in rural outlying areas in So Cal, which is famous for traffic jams all around LA and its suburbs, would tank sales? I see absolutely no indication for that line of thinking at all. 

Two, Los Santos is plenty big, particularly when you add in Blaine County. The map is a really nice size for a GTA game, and I see nothing in the shot you just posted that makes Los Santos look "bigger than it actually is."

Three, and this is important, if what you guys are whining about is actually true, then doesn't every single company selling every single product in the history of mankind show it with camera angles and photographic methods to accentuate the positive aspects of what they are selling, and minimize what might be negative? I mean, even if what you are saying is true here, and I am not seeing it from the pictures in this thread so far, then why is that somehow magically a strike against the map in this game?

Could it be that some people in this forum are so against this game that they have to try and include even the most ephemeral minutia in their sophistry to try and convince their fellow GTA'ers that this game (or in this case, the map) sucks balls?

Just something to think about. ;)

• Mastah and CGFforLife like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Grand Theft Auto V Fans

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 6 days ago

Like I said in my signature, GTA V is a masterpiece with everything is amazing, including the map.

I rate it 10000000/10

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users