Things GTA V did better than GTA IV

1,651 replies to this topic
BigEzmok
  • BigEzmok

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:03 AM

everything, im playing Gta V on Ps4 for the first time since 2 days and i have to say the game when Trevor is available to play is very good

• ragedandcaged and CGFforLife like this

GTAUrbanCamping
  • GTAUrbanCamping

Urban Camper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

I like the tractor trailer options. Was stuck with straight trucks or just the tractor.

I did like the bowling, though.

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

GTA V:A Huge improvement over snore (GTA IV)

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:36 AM Edited by CGFforLife, 02 October 2017 - 07:45 AM.

I'm glad it's possible to lose the cops with plane/heli

Countryside

Better Story and writing

Better Characters

Better AI

More vehicle storage

Los Santos much more accurately represent Los Angeles than Liberty City/Alderney representing New York City/New Jersey

Variety

Mission Variety

Freedom

Customization

And finally... No more pointless shootout or chase mission, like Easy as Can Be, Taking in the Trash, Undertaker, Entourage; which is IV mission that contain pointless shootout or chase mission

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:07 AM Edited by Am Shaegar, 02 October 2017 - 08:09 AM.

Trevor as one of the main protagonist. I find him a lot better than the boring, one note character Niko - both in terms of the story (character development), and roleplaying possibilities. His unpredictable nature, well written lines, and brutal honesty makes him more appealing to me over Niko who has nothing to interesting to talk, or offer the player, other than about his past, and having a sad look on his face, Even the serious games like Mafia 1 don't try so hard to maintain a serious tone, beyond what makes sense, and can be logically understood. It seemed like Rockstar had the most fun in developing Trevor's character as it really feels a lot more fleshed out than the rest of the trio.

• CGFforLife likes this

sea cucumber
  • sea cucumber

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:51 AM

i get 20 fps on gta 4, while on gta 5 i get 50

Awesom-0
  • Awesom-0

Happy 1st anniversary without heists!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:43 AM Edited by Awesom-0, 07 October 2017 - 05:13 PM.

Ok, my turn.

• Three main characters. with awesome character switching mechanics.

• Car customization, being the most in-depth in the series with performance mods and cosmetics.

• A huge map with variety, being the biggest in the series.

• Weapon variety, with tons of different guns and attachments, and you can also cary all of them in your inventory inside of a convenient weapon wheel.

• Vehicle variety, having the most in the series.

• You can actually swim underwater, experience tons of aquatic life and finding tons of hidden tresure.

• More player customization, with barber, tattor, and clothing shops.

• having a better phone system, where you can take pictures, buy vehicles, and watch tv. 

• Animals like cats, dogs, sharks, whales, and deer. 

• gunziness likes this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:03 AM

Better cheats
No paying tollbooth
No more dating simulator
No more restriction

highspeed
  • highspeed

Monster truck everything

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:19 AM

For me personally, the driving all day long. Yes I know GTA V's driving isn't perfect, but I'd rather that than the boat, burning out near going anywhere in a straight line bullsh*t that GTA IV presented to me.

If you think about it, it's called grand theft auto for a reason. You drive around so much in the game, so the driving has to be atleast half decent.

• Am Shaegar likes this

JB1982
  • JB1982

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

One of the things I have always liked about the GTA games is the radio and the songs. IV was a disappointment on that front to me (EFLC was an improvement though) so I find myself listening to Independance FM whenever I play it. V was a welcome return to form on that front and I never feel the need to add my own songs to the game.

UAL
  • UAL

Playa

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

Car Customisation

Weapon Customisation

Stand alone vehicle storage (should have been more though)

Mele physics were better IMO

Mission variety (Although IV's missions were more in tone with a GTA game)

Weapon wheel - ultimately just more convenient

• anthony likes this

Arrows to Athens
  • Arrows to Athens

Far, far away...

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

For me personally, the driving all day long. Yes I know GTA V's driving isn't perfect, but I'd rather that than the boat, burning out near going anywhere in a straight line bullsh*t that GTA IV presented to me.

If you think about it, it's called grand theft auto for a reason. You drive around so much in the game, so the driving has to be atleast half decent.

At least it was more realistic and actually took skill.

• Xiled likes this

Blight77
  • Blight77

Player Hater

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:58 AM Edited by Blight77, 25 October 2017 - 07:04 AM.

Let's see :

- Three Main Characters (literally the best thing in GTA V compare to IV or any other titles in that matter, like some poster above said, when i get bored of the respective protagonist in the previous games, i switch the games, while in V i can just switch the protagonist to play differently, eg : with Trevor i like to go on rampage, breaking into Fort Zancudo, etc while with Michael i just like to driving around with my high-end car in Vinewood Hills)

- The Map (I guess it's pretty easy to explain, given that the sheer size of the map and the variety such as the forest and the desert make the map in GTA V much more interesting to explore)

- Vehicle and it's customization (Another pretty obvious things, given that the amount of vehicles in GTA V overwhelmed that of the IV ones, not to mention the Pay'n Spray in IV is somewhat underwhelming, given you have a pretty small choice of color and the fact that you have to waited for 8 hours just to change 1 color which made it completely inferior compare to that of Los Santos Customs)

- Mission Structure (While the amount of the mission in GTA V might be the lowest even compare to the previous titles aside from the IV, the mission itself however is highly entertaining especially some heist eg : Jewel Store Job, Paleto Score, and the Big Score or some Trevor based mission eg : Crystal Maze, Minor Turbulance, Derailed, etc)

- Strangers & Freaks and Collectibles (Yet another one that have been mentioned before, the strangers and freak in GTA IV feels more like the Random Event in V while the actual Strangers & Freaks mission in V is almost similar with the regular mission such as The Truth based mission for Michael, Paparazzo for Franklin, and Vinewood Souvenir for Trevor, as for the collectibles, i guess it's also pretty obvious given that you can only hunt for flying rat in IV while you have several collectibles that even capable to unlock certain side mission such as scrap letter and submarine parts)

- Side Activities (While IV also come close in this department due to bowling and darts, i guess i still prefer tennis, golf, scuba diving, and parachuting not to mention that darts also exist in GTA V albeit only in one certain place)

- Driving Mechanic & Traffic (Once again, while it does somewhat unrealistic due to unusual performance that the vehicle capable to do eg : The asea can be used to climb the Mount Chilliad, however driving in GTA V is extremely easy and entertaining to play with, whereas the GTA IV ones, the vehicles is pretty easy to understeer and all in all is pretty hard to control, especially the motorcycle, as for the traffic, it's much more realistic compare to any of it's predecessor and the NPC is shown to follow the street rules as well, save for some unique incident or scripted traffic during the mission)

- Purchasable Property and Vehicles (One of the biggest problem in IV is the fact you can't spent your money to do anything after the story finish despite having near to one million dollars amount of money, while GTA V is pretty much the games with the biggest amount of money reward during the storyline (the big score with obvious approach capable to allow the protagonist to made around 40 millions and even higher if you play your stock market right during the assassination mission), it's however also the game which allow us to spend the most money with the cinemas that Michael capable to purchase reach 10, 20, and 30 millions respectively and the golf course which cost up to 150 millions dollars, not to mention that you can buy a rare vehicle that otherwise won't even appear in the regular gameplay or free roaming such as Entity XF and Cheetah)

- Underwater World & Animal (Another new thing in GTA V is the fact that the animal appear as a stage hazard such as cougar and shark in land and sea respectively, not to mention you also get the hunting side mission, the underwater world also made the sea become much more interesting to explore compare to IV or even SA for some extend given how lively the underwater is, and the fact that you can even found some collectibles and underwater wreck made is made the player interested to scuba dive or even using submarine to explore the underwater world)

-  Unrestricted Region right from the beginning (Now, this is an unpopular opinion, but i do like the fact that GTA V allow the player to explore the entire map without restriction despite some certain mission only unique within a certain region and both Trevor and Mikey does get exiled from Los Santos in one certain point. One of my problem with IV or any other GTA for this instance is the fact that you only restricted within a certain area before you can advance after a certain mission have been completed and given i'm a type of player who like to explore and free roaming, once i got bored to the area, i would rush the storyline mission to the point where i can unlock the following region, whereas in V i can play with my own pace without some sort of the necessity to rush the main story line just so i can unlock the next island)

With all that said, i do still like GTA IV a lot (probably the 3rd best after V and SA for me personally).. The main story and characters in IV is arguably the best written in the entire series to date and the ending, particularly "A Revenger Tragedy" is probably among the best if not outright the best ending in GTA series for me (while it's depressing af it's still the best nevertheless).. Also, given that i like to free roaming, then cheat is also another important element in GTA series and while isn't as good as SA, the cheat in IV and it's structure is better than V by some certain margin, given that not only the remove wanted cheat in IV erased all the wanted level that you get (in contrast in V you only remove 1 wanted level which is pretty absurd for me) not to mention that Nico can also save the cheat code in his phone instead of dialing the redial button in GTA V which not only restrict the player to only one certain cheat code for one time, but also the necessity to remember said cheat code.. And last but not least, Dimitri is also one of the best antagonist in GTA to date (only lost to Officer Tenpenny IMO) while in contrast, Devin Weston is arguably the worst main antagonist in the history of GTA series and while Steve Haines serves as a decent antagonist, his death is somewhat underwhelming IMO

So all in all, while i do like GTA IV a lot (i've spent more than 90 hours in this game after all), i however do like V much more due to it's versatility and much more fun and enjoyment elements in contrast to a repetitive story mission and map design in IV.. 

• highspeed and Am Shaegar like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

Fluid on-foot movements, nice driving system and a beautiful map. Oh, PC version is amazing. Modding is great, brings back a lot of SA memories.

• Gummy  and CGFforLife like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:24 AM Edited by CGFforLife, 29 October 2017 - 11:26 AM.

Southern San Andreas did better at recreating Southern California than Liberty City/Alderney State recreating New York City/New Jersey State

Especially that we know that LC really shrunken down the whole NYC to microscopic size (when you realize Rotterdam Tower and Broker Bridge are just a few block away), and how the whole State of Alderney is just a square miles of industrial warehouses but the real New Jersey State is a pretty big state, with a lot of green, beautiful residential area, the NJ shore, and of course, Atlantic City, none of which even appear nor hinted at in Alderney.

But still, as a videogame map, both are nice map, and I would still rated V map 183717471838/10 and IV map 9/10
  • ChiroVette likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

For starters:

-Much better story
-Incredible map
  • CGFforLife and Am Shaegar like this

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homie

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by gunziness, 2 weeks ago.

Aside from the obvious technologic/graphics improvements:

- The diversity and amount of vehicles
- The addition of animals
- the addition of vehicle trailers
- The weapon/radio wheel (even though the system in IV worked efficiently)
- The hability to buy garages/hangars/helipads/dock slips even though it is still limited (at least compared to Online and considering the vast amount of vehicles the game has to offer).
  • ChiroVette, Algonquin Assassin and anthony like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 2 weeks ago

House actually feels like we own one

In IV it feels like we are just renting an apartment
  • ChiroVette likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 2 weeks ago

House actually feels like we own one

In IV it feels like we are just renting an apartment

I like that you can see other characters inside the safehouses. Makes them feel more "lived" in.

• ChiroVette, Official General, Sonny3787 and 1 other like this

Jakifer
  • Jakifer

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Being able to escape the city I find a huge deal..

At times felt trapped in GTA IV

• ChiroVette and Am Shaegar like this

Sonny3787
  • Sonny3787

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Sonny3787, 2 weeks ago.

No paying tollbooth

And as a result, no working tollbooths. Which is worse than working tollbooths, right? Even if you have to pay $5 (it is nothing considering how much do you have).

• ChiroVette likes this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 2 weeks ago

^well we don't have to stop anymore

Car components actually detacheable
  • ChiroVette likes this

Lioshenka
  • Lioshenka

KGB agent

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 2 weeks ago

Everything, but in particular:

- Driving physics, especially off-road

- Running up and down the stairs is now much quicker

- Brighter colours

- No wanted level for ramming other cars

- No bowling with the kazeen

- Decent countryside

- Tractors, quad bikes, push bikes, planes

• ChiroVette likes this

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted A week ago Edited by ACM-Jan, A week ago.

No wanted level for ramming other cars

You sure about that? I've got nuisance from popo just for hitting oncoming traffic and it happens so often my rarely made gameplay videos have many occurrences. and this happens from earliest last gen version up to newest pc version.

When you get the wanted level the police scanner says "attack on vehicle", basically police is worst in entire gta series just for that!

• Algonquin Assassin, D9fred95 and Xiled like this

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

You sure about that? I've got nuisance from popo just for hitting oncoming traffic and it happens so often my rarely made gameplay videos have many occurrences. and this happens from earliest last gen version up to newest pc version.

When you get the wanted level the police scanner says "attack on vehicle", basically police is worst in entire gta series just for that!

Yeah, I think it has something to do with NPC's "reporting" the crime. I use the term reporting loosely because they're supposed to call the cops when an incident occurs but due to a string of code not implemented properly, simply witnessing the crime will result in a wanted level.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted A week ago Edited by Ash_735, A week ago.

I can honestly say that I can't recall anyone meeting during previous GTA's resulting in a collaboration as cool as this, Thundercat (idents on FlyLo FM and a cut in on Worldwide FM) and Kenny Loggins (Los Santos Rock Radio DJ) met at a recording session for GTAV and they got on so well it lead to them working together (with Michael McDonald) to create this chill jam:

Lioshenka
  • Lioshenka

KGB agent

• Members
  • Wales

Posted A week ago Edited by Lioshenka, A week ago.

Pretty sure. I hated driving Patriot (or whatever it is called in the Rage era) for fun, because I only had to bump one vehicle I would instantly get a star. I would end up driving to a remore street, find a car to ram, and even then I would still get a star after a dozen or so hits. Police are much more forgiving in 5.

Never happened to me in older GTAs. This is one thing that really pissed me off in GTA 4.

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted A week ago

I've been noticing that the cops in V won't mad if they bumped your car

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

I've been noticing that the cops in V won't mad if they bumped your car

I've gotten wanted levels more than once after police hit me while stationary so at best it fluctuates.

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted A week ago Edited by ACM-Jan, A week ago.

it depends which time period as well, newest updates installed on pc version it do not give star for getting bumped BUT you must be still/not press reverse or acceleration while they do bump you, it didn't matter on other hand for last gen where every contact resulted with problems

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted A week ago

V mission aren't just about shooting people for no reason

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users