Things GTA V did better than GTA IV

1,651 replies to this topic
CarlitoDorito
  • CarlitoDorito

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:49 AM

The last gen version of V was a step back in many ways. Population, many technical things that made me want to play IV. The re-release improved a lot of things. The kraken sub makes exploring the ocean less of a chore and the radio works in the sub now, so it's not total silence as well as blackness, and there's a lot of life. The extra details and foliage helped too.

I prefer V's radio on the re-release to IV's, because it's very long, much less repetitive and there's some good music in between the bad music.

Blood and bullet wounds are good in the new version too, entry and exit wounds, bullet holes bleed, wounds on the character bleed over time and the clothes soak up blood. Knives cause stab wounds, It's definitely bloodier than IV and i like that. I did only play the console version of IV where blood was like blurry red patches, I'm guessing it was better on PC.

Fire too. I like the way it spreads. IV's fire went out a bit too fast for my liking. Ped skin is burned and looks quite horrible if you set them on fire, the way cars look after being blown up. Little details.

I like the map having more than just humans. The birds can fly. I guess these compare more to Red Dead than IV. That's about it for me.
  • UltraGizmo64, theGTAking101, ten-a-penny and 2 others like this

Edward Nashton
  • Edward Nashton

A Traveler of Both Time and Space.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:52 AM

No, but let's be honest again, IV police missions suck. You can't arrest people, then drive them to the police station, no partners, all you can do is just drive to the location of suspects alone and kill them all. I don't consider it interesting and there is nothing about "police" at all. Also, your game will f*cking freeze every time you try to locate suspect who is close to you in Most Wanted missions. Lol

They're not police missions, they're vigilante missions. You're paid to kill criminals, not arrest them, the reason you need a law enforcement vehicle is to access the police database through the computer onboard. Let's be honest,  I'll pick that over taxi missions any day. Lol

• Algonquin Assassin, R4gN0r0K, B Dawg and 6 others like this

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:54 AM Edited by theGTAking101, 05 February 2016 - 05:54 AM.

The bullet wounds are also another thing I like in V.

​I agree that the enhanced version made the game a bit better.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:56 AM

Silent weapons are back, though as suppressor that can be mounted. It was an annoyance factor in IV [ shoot a pigeon, risk a wanted star ] due to its exclusion.
  • Al3x_XXI, Payne Killer and HailHydra like this

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:57 AM

Silent weapons are back, though as suppressor that can be mounted. It was an annoyance factor in IV [ shoot a pigeon, risk a wanted star ] due to its exclusion.

Too bad stealth doesn't work half the time. Oh well at least it's better than nothing.

• Kafonix likes this

Sonny3787
  • Sonny3787

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:58 AM

- You can ride various bicycles, with some of them you can do bunny hops.

- You can control various planes.

- No f*cking retards calling every 10 minutes asking me if I wanna go bowling/eating etc.

- Underwater world.

- Nice and real car colors, instead of those ugly and stupid pink/light green Huntleys, Cavalcades etc.

- If Vsync is turned on, you can play with FPS higher than 56.

- You can stop your vehicle at anytime in any place on the road and be 100% sure a stupid driver won't crash it from behind.

-Fair Enough.

-Fair enough.

-You can decline them, you know. But OK.

-Which is horrible to explore due to the sh*tty submarine.

-I never saw any pink/light green huntleys, but fair enough.

-I play on consoles, I wouldn't know.

-Nowhere near true. The traffic in 5 is buggy as hell.

-If you decline them, respect/like goes down like GTAking said and you feel somehow uncomfortable every time you do it.

-There is a lot of pink Schafters and Huntleys, I remember I have edited carcols.dat file removing these colors, check it, if you want, 42-47 and 99-101 are various pink color codes.

-It is 200% true man. I have tested it many times. Probably there is a difference between PC and console versions but I don't think so. In IV, your vehicle rear side is always damaged because of crazy drivers. Ironically, you can see NPCs driving cars with completely smashed rears.

• ten-a-penny and danilo_ol like this

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:00 AM

It's a shame all peds have a ridiculously large "hear range" that negates any benefit silencers give. 

• theGTAking101, Misunderstood and yoshi626262 like this

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:02 AM

It's a shame all peds have a ridiculously large "hear range" that negates any benefit silencers give. 

I would've expected Rockstar to fix this, but I guess not.

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:03 AM Edited by Cheatz_N_Trickz, 05 February 2016 - 06:05 AM.

Of course, it affects the system you're interested in engaging for unlocking the rewards that come with, which is what offers the player some variety than doing the same thing in a normal manner.

Start with yourself by ignoring many things in V, because it makes sense for others, than how you feel.

But the rewards are not integral to ANYTHING. Do you see me moaning about the rewards for the vehicle missions in SA? They were terrible, I can live without those rewards, thanks. Still love the game though.

And Osho, how can I ignore my problems with V when they are related to things such as the bad story and shooting mechanics? Those things are quite hard to ignore. What i've told you is really simple, should I expect you to understand it though?

Also, here's where you trip up. You said you like V's hangouts for simplifying it. But hang on, V offers no rewards for hanging out...why then, would you even bother to hangout in V and then criticise IV for having rewards that require hanging out? Surely you would just avoid hanging out now that there is no reason to do so?
  • Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, anthony and 3 others like this

ULPaperContact
  • ULPaperContact

Proti všem tyranům, pro boha a zemi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:03 AM

- You can ride various bicycles, with some of them you can do bunny hops.

- You can control various planes.

- No f*cking retards calling every 10 minutes asking me if I wanna go bowling/eating etc.

- Underwater world.

- Nice and real car colors, instead of those ugly and stupid pink/light green Huntleys, Cavalcades etc.

- If Vsync is turned on, you can play with FPS higher than 56.

- You can stop your vehicle at anytime in any place on the road and be 100% sure a stupid driver won't crash it from behind.

-Fair Enough.

-Fair enough.

-You can decline them, you know. But OK.

-Which is horrible to explore due to the sh*tty submarine.

-I never saw any pink/light green huntleys, but fair enough.

-I play on consoles, I wouldn't know.

-Nowhere near true. The traffic in 5 is buggy as hell.

-If you decline them, respect/like goes down like GTAking said and you feel somehow uncomfortable every time you do it.

-There is a lot of pink Schafters and Huntleys, I remember I have edited carcols.dat file removing these colors, check it, if you want, 42-47 and 99-101 are various pink color codes.

-It is 200% true man. I have tested it many times. Probably there is a difference between PC and console versions but I don't think so. In IV, your vehicle rear side is always damaged because of crazy drivers. Ironically, you can see NPCs driving cars with completely smashed rears.

-f*ck 'em.

-Oh. 'kay then.

-Even if that was true, it happens way more often in 5.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:12 AM

Just accept their request and call them back to cancel = no decline of like/respect. I've been doing that ever since GTA IV's release if I didn't feel like hanging out with them, but also didn't want it to go down.

• R4gN0r0K, B Dawg, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

Still King

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:14 AM

- Countryside is back! Variation is good
- Gasoline trails
- More weapons than IV
- Beautiful underwater world
- Much better cover system than IV
- Varied missions
- Chiliad mystery! Brings back memories of myth hunting in SA. Ah, those golden days. IV was a total failure in this aspect.

- More personal customisation. Those suits and trackpants in IV(lol).
- Hunting is a decent activity. Could've been like RDR, but the fact that they managed to stuff so much on 8 year old hardware is amazing.
- IMO bike handling is better than IV.
- Planes
- Snapmatic
  • ten-a-penny, danilo_ol, Al3x_XXI and 2 others like this

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:17 AM

Just accept their request and call them back to cancel = no decline of like/respect. I've been doing that ever since GTA IV's release if I didn't feel like hanging out with them, but also didn't want it to go down.

Better yet, put the phone on sleep mode. I used sleep mode to pace my story progression perfectly. So many ignorant gamers didn't even know about this.
  • gunziness and Glory Holin' like this

ULPaperContact
  • ULPaperContact

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:19 AM

- Countryside is back! Variation is good
- Gasoline trails
- More weapons than IV
- Beautiful underwater world
- Much better cover system than IV
- Varied missions
- Chiliad mystery! Brings back memories of myth hunting in SA. Ah, those golden days. IV was a total failure in this aspect.

- More personal customisation. Those suits and trackpants in IV(lol).
- Hunting is a decent activity. Could've been like RDR, but the fact that they managed to stuff so much on 8 year old hardware is amazing.
- IMO bike handling is better than IV.
- Planes
- Snapmatic

-With absolutely nothing to do!

-Fair enough.

-Fair enough.

-That's horrible to explore due to the sh*tty submarine.

-That's purely opinion.

-Fair enough.

-Heart of Liberty City was the best 4 got.

-True, not very nice how the characters change outfits while you're in another character.

-Fair enough.

-Fair enough, that's your opinion.

-Fair enough.

-Never really cared, fair enough.

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:22 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I find Snapmatic to be one of the best new features in V.

• Algonquin Assassin, ten-a-penny, PoeticWhisper and 4 others like this

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:25 AM

- Countryside is back! Variation is good. Chiliad mystery! Brings back memories of myth hunting in SA. Ah, those golden days. IV was a total failure in this aspect.

Did IV really fail here? I don't know, hard to fail at something you don't attempt. By that logic, V failed for not having San Fierro or Las Venturas.
  • R4gN0r0K and anthony like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:30 AM

Better yet, put the phone on sleep mode. I used sleep mode to pace my story progression perfectly. So many ignorant gamers didn't even know about this

I don't think I've ever used sleep mode because I've never felt I needed to. IMO people grossly exaggerate when they say the friends call "every 5 minutes".

I don't know about you guys, but I find Snapmatic to be one of the best new features in V.

Ah yes the Snapmatic. I think I'll edit my post as it slipped my mind.

As much as GTA IV is a great game the camera on the phone is pointless lol. The Snapmatic is brilliant for taking photos (see my contributions in the San Andreas Appreciation thread).

• Misunderstood likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:36 AM

Of course, it affects the system you're interested in engaging for unlocking the rewards that come with, which is what offers the player some variety than doing the same thing in a normal manner.

Start with yourself by ignoring many things in V, because it makes sense for others, than how you feel.

But the rewards are not integral to ANYTHING.
What an absolute blatant lie. They are. Otherwise, its just as pointless as a past time, which you are shamelessly using it as a reason to target V, while telling me to ignore, and are acting like you don't give a sh*t about others disliking about it. But the thing is, if you don't see any problem then who cares?
Stop walking in others shoes and forcing your preferences on them.

I don't find those annoying elements making any sense such as the silly % cap nor getting phone calls. The like% stat brings no depth other than forcing the player to hang out more, rinse and repeat for having the rewards that come with it.
Just use the search function and you'll find people in IV Section who have also expressed the similar sentiment during the time of the release, even outside this forum and including several critics out there.
I have to agree with their opinion on this, regardless of what you say.
They are absolutely right.
I'm no longer going to argue over this. If you continue derailing this further, I'm simply going to report it.
  • ten-a-penny likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:36 AM

GTA V features a far better Vanilla Emergency Lighting System.

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

Still King

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:43 AM

- Countryside is back! Variation is good. Chiliad mystery! Brings back memories of myth hunting in SA. Ah, those golden days. IV was a total failure in this aspect.

Did IV really fail here? I don't know, hard to fail at something you don't attempt. By that logic, V failed for not having San Fierro or Las Venturas.

You can have good mysterious stuff in a city too. Not just countryside. The Ratman thing barely caused a stir.

@ULPaperContact: What was the point of that? Why are you quoting every post appreciating things in V and judging them? I'll take a city with countryside over just a city any day.
  • ten-a-penny, Frito-Man and Glory Holin' like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:49 AM

IV was boring to explore after a point, that's where V takes it further with countryside and other variety in the map.
Again critics have a point. I'm not sure why some people can't digest the criticisms against IV and jump in to defend the indefensible thinking that every player out there should appreciate IV, no matter how others feel.

ULPaperContact
  • ULPaperContact

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:50 AM

@ULPaperContact: What was the point of that? Why are you quoting every post appreciating things in V and judging them? I'll take a city with countryside over just a city any day.

Why not? Trying to make this a discussion, like the 4 counterpart.

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:56 AM

Niko walks like an ass, so slow. The character movements have been improved, with a few exceptions.
  • ten-a-penny and SmokesWithCigs like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:58 AM

Niko walks like a Badass, so Methodical.

FTFY. :^:

It's true, you know. ;)

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, UltraGizmo64 and 7 others like this

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:02 AM Edited by Cheatz_N_Trickz, 05 February 2016 - 07:05 AM.

Ok Oshi-mioshi.

Anyway, SOZ, while IV offered far less "exploration" in the sense that the map was full of buildings, I still find Liberty City to be extremely varied, without the need for countryside. I never got into that myth hunting stuff in SA, so with IV it didn't faze me.

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:05 AM

The useless money system in IV ( if its covered already, then pls. excuse ) has become somewhat useful in V.
Not a fan of cover system, but it seems to have been improved as well.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:08 AM

The useless money system in IV ( if its covered already, then pls. excuse ) has become somewhat useful in V.
Not a fan of cover system, but it seems to have been improved as well.

Because making large amounts of Money in V is as rare as Hens Teeth.

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:12 AM

I swear, the butthurt is so strong. Can't speak a word against IV. I hope, but doubt that this thread is going to last, if people keep exposing IV.
  • Sonny3787, Dangerous and sad, Al3x_XXI and 1 other like this

Sonny3787
  • Sonny3787

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:17 AM

Niko walks like a Yokel, so Hillbilly.

It's true, you know. ;)

FTF both of you  :^:

Trevor walks like a badass. Because he's a badass.

;)

• ten-a-penny, Al3x_XXI and SmokesWithCigs like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:20 AM

Niko walks like a Yokel, so Hillbilly.

It's true, you know. ;)

FTF both of you  :^:

Trevor walks like a badass. Because he's a badass.

;)

Hello, Vlad.

527060-vladlarge.jpg

How's life at the Bottom of the River going for you?

:lol:

• B Dawg likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users