Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do you find GTA IV's story "depressing"?

124 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you find GTA IV's story "depressing"? (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you find GTA IV's story "depressing"?

1. Yes (50 votes [37.88%])

Percentage of vote: 37.88%

2. No (82 votes [62.12%])

Percentage of vote: 62.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 3 weeks ago

Further more I was surprised (and disappointed) that RDR made little to no effort on improving on story based decisions. I thought that was going to be a sure thing given its subject matter yet from what I remember the only choice you make is to save that girl or not at Thieves' Landing for the strange man. Maybe there are others, but nothing that remotely significant in any way to remember..

Even not having another ending was disappointing. It would've been way more interesting if the honour/fame system had more consequences for how the rest of the story played out. Maybe John could've survived due to the chances that some of the acts he committed paved the way for a better conclusion.

I know some of the choices didn't have many major consequences in GTA IV (Besides Deal or Revenge), but it was an interesting concept how sparing some characters let them show up as random characters later on. RDR didn't even reach that far. 

I guess a lot of the foundation was laid with GTA IV and yeah RDR isn't from the same series, but IMHO it takes a lot of missteps than it's given credit for. It's still a great game and deserves the praise it gets for the most part, but it's far from being the flawless masterpiece it's known to be.

• SchizNitz, HaythamKenway and Mr_Rager like this

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

Home, like no place is there

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Mr_Rager, 3 weeks ago.

I'm actually okay with RDR being a more streamlined experience story wise, because it's not likely we'll get anything like it again. I'm not confident that RDR2 can reach the bar RDR set in that department. It's got a cinematic western feel, I get the sense I'm going along for a wild ride when I play it through. Never really feel the need to have options in the story, I think Rockstar earned that with IVs story.

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

Liberty City Hitman

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Good Hombre, 3 weeks ago.

No. It has some dark and sad moments but it's not depressing at all. What I like the most about IV's story is that it has a message, it shows the fall of the american mob and what happens if you get in this life, you'll lose more than you win.

• Algonquin Assassin and Pedinhuh like this

TakeshiSantos
  • TakeshiSantos

O Partner, Where Art Thou?

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

It was perfectly balanced, with depressing storyline being balanced by the old cynical humor and comic-relief characters that Rockstar has.

JF Prodigy
  • JF Prodigy

(눈_눈)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

"After you walk into a village and you see 50 children, all sitting neatly in a row, against a church wall, each with their throats cut and their hands chopped off, you realize that the creature that could do this doesn't have a soul."

"War is when the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other."

"Life is complicated. I've killed people, smuggled people, sold people. Perhaps here, things will be different."

So, uh, maybe?

• theGTAking101 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users