Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do you find GTA IV's story "depressing"?

135 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you find GTA IV's story "depressing"? (149 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you find GTA IV's story "depressing"?

1. Yes (58 votes [38.93%])

Percentage of vote: 38.93%

2. No (91 votes [61.07%])

Percentage of vote: 61.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:51 AM

Further more I was surprised (and disappointed) that RDR made little to no effort on improving on story based decisions. I thought that was going to be a sure thing given its subject matter yet from what I remember the only choice you make is to save that girl or not at Thieves' Landing for the strange man. Maybe there are others, but nothing that remotely significant in any way to remember..

Even not having another ending was disappointing. It would've been way more interesting if the honour/fame system had more consequences for how the rest of the story played out. Maybe John could've survived due to the chances that some of the acts he committed paved the way for a better conclusion.

I know some of the choices didn't have many major consequences in GTA IV (Besides Deal or Revenge), but it was an interesting concept how sparing some characters let them show up as random characters later on. RDR didn't even reach that far. 

I guess a lot of the foundation was laid with GTA IV and yeah RDR isn't from the same series, but IMHO it takes a lot of missteps than it's given credit for. It's still a great game and deserves the praise it gets for the most part, but it's far from being the flawless masterpiece it's known to be.

• SchizNitz, HaythamKenway and Mr_Rager like this

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

weight of the wind

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:06 AM Edited by Mr_Rager, 24 July 2017 - 07:08 AM.

I'm actually okay with RDR being a more streamlined experience story wise, because it's not likely we'll get anything like it again. I'm not confident that RDR2 can reach the bar RDR set in that department. It's got a cinematic western feel, I get the sense I'm going along for a wild ride when I play it through. Never really feel the need to have options in the story, I think Rockstar earned that with IVs story.

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

I'm done with this sh*t

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:02 PM Edited by Good Hombre, 24 July 2017 - 02:05 PM.

No. It has some dark and sad moments but it's not depressing at all. What I like the most about IV's story is that it has a message, it shows the fall of the american mob and what happens if you get in this life, you'll lose more than you win.

• Algonquin Assassin and Pedinhuh like this

TakeshiSantos
  • TakeshiSantos

O Partner, Where Art Thou?

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:47 PM

It was perfectly balanced, with depressing storyline being balanced by the old cynical humor and comic-relief characters that Rockstar has.

JF Prodigy
  • JF Prodigy

A dance with the Devil might last you forever.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:43 PM

"After you walk into a village and you see 50 children, all sitting neatly in a row, against a church wall, each with their throats cut and their hands chopped off, you realize that the creature that could do this doesn't have a soul."

"War is when the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other."

"Life is complicated. I've killed people, smuggled people, sold people. Perhaps here, things will be different."

So, uh, maybe?

• theGTAking101 likes this

SonnyNapoli
  • SonnyNapoli

Wiseguy

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

Depressing? Oh, hell no. What is depressing, huh?

That story is powerful, dramatic, epic. And don't forget about comic relief (Roman and Manny as examples)

But lots of people would appreciate narrow-minded, gang-banging, happy-ending storyline, instead of well-developed character.

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

Never once crossed my mind that this story was depressing. It's 'developed' not depressing and also does anyone think that Niko is dark and serious when he says that honkers no touching rule is killing him or that a certain Russian gangsters dad likes it up the ass lol.

wagszilla
  • wagszilla

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

Yes, it's depressing.

You start in Roman's apartment with cockroaches and a fold-out bed. And then that burns down and you go to the Bronx.

It's a comedown. Comedowns are depressing. But it's also mature, compelling, and engaging storytelling. 

It's my second favorite and second most played Rockstar game by a wide margin. Great stuff. 

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

SanLiberty
  • SanLiberty

What are you looking at?

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:48 PM

Endings are depressed a lil' bit. Anyways, GTA 3 is more depressing as no-one is funny. And yes, you can take GTA IV's story very seriously.

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Grand Theft Auto V: A huge improvement over snore (IV)

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

Only Deal ending that I find depressing. other than that, no

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

i mean it's a story of rising up through the criminal underworld it's hardly gonna be lollipops and rainbows

JB1982
  • JB1982

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

Can honestly say I never thought of the game as depressing.

It feels like a more serious game than other GTA titles and for that reason it has some downbeat moments but it's not depressing. Even our main protaganist, Niko, acts more cynical than depressive despite the tragedies, horrors, and betrayals that he has suffered and continues to suffer throughout the storyline.

Melted_INC
  • Melted_INC

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:46 AM

i felt the entire game was depressing but i don't see it as a bad thing infact i think its what sets it apart from most games in the industry it captured the moody depressing streets and added a story to match it 

GTA IV is a masterpiece of a video game 

• Algonquin Assassin and EtherTakeover like this

Gokuzbu
  • Gokuzbu

Luis and Niko will not be touched by Trevor.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:14 PM

I don't see how a game with characters like Bernie and Brucie could be depressing. They are funny and charming as hell. I also don't see depressing as a bad thing anyway. Different media goes for different tones.

• B Dawg and theGTAking101 like this

simond1986
  • simond1986

Crackhead

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:01 PM

yes indeed

cryptorelic
  • cryptorelic

odĕrint dum metŭant

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:16 PM Edited by cryptorelic, 16 October 2017 - 11:37 PM.

For me it just shows the harsh reality of life. Everything you do, not important if meant good or bad, is coming back to you at some point, in a different way you thought it would, most of the time at least.

It's not felt in a depressing way, but in a very emotional way. If you can set yourself into the story, and feel with the characters, its incredibly emotional.

For example, these are two songs I like to associate with the revenge (kate) and deal (roman) ending.
They might be a bit depressing, but emotion takes over and what looks depressing at first, turns into however the situation is displayed.
This includes grief, sadness, happiness, goodbye, a new beginning, a life in peace, a look back down memory lane, at the two ends of the game.

After all, it may just be a bit depressing, if you look at the bigger picture. But i prefer the term emotional and perhaps even serious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users