Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do you find GTA IV's story "depressing"?

131 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you find GTA IV's story "depressing"? (142 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you find GTA IV's story "depressing"?

1. Yes (55 votes [38.73%])

Percentage of vote: 38.73%

2. No (87 votes [61.27%])

Percentage of vote: 61.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Get down on it!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:58 PM Edited by Pedinhuh, 24 July 2017 - 08:53 PM.

Not depressing, but grounded.

A stranger is looking for closure of a terrible chapter of his past life, so he sets foot in an entirely new place for him with the promise of a good life, but as it turns out, the life he has in this new place is anything but good, and now he has to go back to do what he did in his past: Doing errands for awful people and kill indiscriminately to help his cousin with his debts, while at the same time, settling down and trying to get by through the only thing he's good at: Crime.

But in a story that is either about forgiveness or about revenge, the bigger message is that crime doesn't pay and in the end, when we get there, the stranger is sitting in a nice pile of cash with a new home on a fancy apartment in a high-end borough in the city, and he finally got the closure he sought for his past, either by vengance or forgiveness.

But he's torn on the inside by the lost of someone close to him and by the fact that the entire society around feels fake and praises money over everything.

On top of all of that, he feels empty, which is the worst thing that could have happened to him, he did what he wanted but he never felt whole again.

..And probably never will.

As he says it the end: "So THIS is what we longed for, this is the dream" in very tired and saddened voice.

So, for me the story is very grounded on reality, with a very clear message in the end.

Also, it's incredible in its own right.
  • Good Hombre likes this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

DONT YOU WANT A 🅱ALLOON???

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:02 PM

Yes. A not very bright shell-shocked ex-soldier....

I stopped reading.
  • anthony, Majestic81, Journey_95 and 4 others like this

DoubledRelic696
  • DoubledRelic696

odĕrint dum metŭant

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:11 PM Edited by DoubledRelic696, 26 February 2016 - 03:28 PM.

Of course it is depressing, but that's not bad. I love IV for that depressing atmosphere, i feel home right there.

I rather enjoy a depressing story than some highlife glamour crap. Maybe because it gets a lot more closer to reality that way. At least for me.

I find a bit of myself in the story and atmosphere of IV, i can relate to it very good.

• Algonquin Assassin, anthony, Scaglietti and 4 others like this

Batfleck
  • Batfleck

The World's Greatest Detective.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:24 PM

No, it's very realistic..being a criminal isn't always the top floor of Caesars Palace in Vegas up to your neck in hookers and stacks of cocaine and billions of dollars you throw out the window to the public.

It's a very harsh reality of what the world is, people get killed, you lose people you love and care for, and it's never pretty.

Rockstar clearly wanted to show us what it's really like, and they couldn't have done a better job.

Crime doesn't pay.

• Algonquin Assassin, anthony, PhillBellic and 4 others like this

KevinBaconBabyGirl
  • KevinBaconBabyGirl

Kick off your Sunday shoes, you wanker.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:44 PM Edited by KevinBaconBabyGirl, 18 September 2016 - 04:45 PM.

Na, not really it's just a more mature story than the cartoonish rags to riches stories of the past games, I guess the endings are somewhat depressing but hey Niko is a criminal it can't all be happiness & blowjobs.

On another note as I say the game's climaxes could be perceived as depressing, but I honestly think IV is the funniest game in the series. 

• Algonquin Assassin, anthony and The Deadite like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The new age of Bowling is here!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:06 PM Edited by B Dawg, 18 September 2016 - 08:10 PM.

Na, not really it's just a more mature story than the cartoonish rags to riches stories of the past games, I guess the endings are somewhat depressing but hey Niko is a criminal it can't all be happiness & blowjobs.

But it can all be Bowling & Titties!

• Payne Killer likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:36 PM

If anything, I think it changes the tone to light hearted a bit too much sometimes. Not enough to be jarring but maybe I'd like it even more if it was all just depressing :p

I can see how people who can't live 5 minutes without a fart joke, a dick joke and a tank exploding could find it depressive or boring however. Though I also think that shouldn't apply to anyone above the age of 12.

Really it's nothing compared to games where at the end you learn that "it was all your fault you monster!" such as

Spoiler

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:20 AM

no, i don't. because at the end you have the choice not to kill the junky. which let you totally free in the after game appreciation

• Algonquin Assassin and PhillBellic like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:11 PM

If anything, I think it changes the tone to light hearted a bit too much sometimes. Not enough to be jarring but maybe I'd like it even more if it was all just depressing :p

My only gripe regarding tone shifting is where Brucie's missions fall in place. IMO it's weird doing Brucie's missions in the middle of the sh*t between Dimitri and Faustin. I always imagine Niko focussing on the Petrovic situation instead of ripping on Brucie.

So now I always leave Brucie's missions until Niko and Roman flee to Bohan. It makes so much more sense as they're broke and Niko would probably turn to someone like Brucie to get his mind off Dimitri and such.
  • Payne Killer and eCola like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

My only gripe regarding tone shifting is where Brucie's missions fall in place. IMO it's weird doing Bruciie's missions in the middle of the sh*t between Dimitri and Faustin. I always imagine Niko focussing on the Petrovic situation instead of ripping on Brucie.

So now I always leave Brucie's missions until Niko and Roman flee to Bohan. It makes so much more sense as they're broke and Niko would probably turn to someone like Brucie to get his mind off Dimitri and such.

Hey, leave Brucie alone. He's the Comic Relief there. Where else do you think he'd fit in to the Story then?

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:17 PM

My only gripe regarding tone shifting is where Brucie's missions fall in place. IMO it's weird doing Bruciie's missions in the middle of the sh*t between Dimitri and Faustin. I always imagine Niko focussing on the Petrovic situation instead of ripping on Brucie.
Hey, leave Brucie alone. He's the Comic Relief there. Where else do you think he'd fit in to the Story then?

Not a knock on his character Phill. Brucie's awesome, but if it were me I would've made his missions become available after shortly arriving in Bohan rather than before.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

Not a knock on his character Phill. Brucie's awesome, but if it were me I would've made his missions become available after shortly arriving in Bohan rather than before.

OH GOD! Are you nuts? Having His and Manny's Missions at the same time would be too much. Comic Relief OVERLOAD!

:wtf:

Spoiler
  • Algonquin Assassin and B Dawg like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

The difference is Brucie's good comic relief. Manny's just an annoying douche. That's where I'm up to in my current save.

I've already heard "the streets" enough times to off myself with a shotgun. ;)
  • B Dawg, PhillBellic and Payne Killer like this

eCola
  • eCola

Homie

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

Depressing as in "wow this game is bad"? No.

Serious? Yes, but there are also playful moments, which makes the game feel real.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

No, V's story is depressing because it was poorly written...
  • Algonquin Assassin, Efreet, anthony and 3 others like this

The American Army 1775
  • The American Army 1775

Edward James Kenway

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

I did'nt vote.
Deal - Depressing
Revenge - Relaxing

ESAgamer503
  • ESAgamer503

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:10 AM Edited by ESAgamer503, 09 February 2017 - 11:30 AM.

Not really. It is dark compared to other GTAs but looking at it from the whole spectrum it really isnt. Something like Texhnolyze is what you're looking for, if you want to talk about about depressing stories. It has some moments like Dwayne's death but even that is pretty tame. But it's a Nice balance in overall tone.

anthony
  • anthony

Nobody cares, nobody f*cking cares.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

Yes, in a way that I like. 

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:13 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 10 February 2017 - 02:41 PM.

It's a bit gloomy all right on all fronts but humorous at times. 

Visually, it's mostly a palette of grays in this metropolis. With not much green for contrast and certainly no countryside to counterbalance it. 

First few hours in, Niko is depressed from the war and isn't sure what he's going to do. He's also been disillusioned about Liberty City and finds the place strange. He probably doesn't have much capacity for happiness since he seen all his friends die in the war. 

The player/character/gameplay relationship is unique here too. Because with III, VC and SA and V despite there being other factors that contribute to our protags motivation, there's an element of greed and/or endgame that's share between the player and protag. Vercetti wants to take over Vice and CJ over San Andreas (again aside from family motivations). Our protagonist's success (getting money) is our (the player's) success, ie. having money to buy houses, clothes and cars etc. Niko's story us exempt from this to a high degree.

Niko's motivations are sort of PTSD and driven by emotion and not greed. He's seeking revenge, not the houses, clothes, cars. There's a sort of disconnect there. As a player, it doesn't feed into the videogame ideology of "winning" by acquiring the most cash/cars/houses/businesses. IT's

In that respect, I think it's gloomy and maybe even depressing. It's a bit of a sad story as Niko's motivations is to find someone who betrayed him. As a player, we don't share those motivations as Niko is new to me. I don't have history with him. But I'm on his side so I guess that's enough. 

As Houser described it, it's a rags to slightly better rags story. They also said it reflected the feeling around Rockstar after Hot Coffee etc. 

Of course there's the humour on radio to balance this and Roman is light-hearted and a fun counter-balance. He's forever the optimist. 

It's not a critique, just an observation.

• Algonquin Assassin, Efreet, LincolnClay and 1 other like this

gtafaninwest
  • gtafaninwest

Trick

• Members

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

Only the deal ending.

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

For me it was never the story that was depressing and set the depressing tone, it was the city. Everything in Liberty City gives a sad feel to it. The subway jazz musicians spending their days playing crappy jazz to the sound of screeching train brakes trying to make few dollars. The people in Bohan driving around in their beater Sabres selling drugs just to finance their family and wives. The constant rain and immigrants like Niko whom are f*cked-over constantly by over-entitled police and citizens, etc.

The city has more personality than the main cast does, and Liberty City's personality is very dull and depressing like real New York City.

• Efreet and DimitriFaustin like this

wrote
  • wrote

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

Doesn't the first mission tell it all when Roman takes you to your apartment? This games a Rockstar masterpiece! It's good to be back.
  • theGTAking101, Payne Killer and LincolnClay like this

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

F*ck Take Two Interactive...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:48 AM

Of course it's depressing. I think it is anyway. But that's not a bad thing. It feels realistic. You can't get to the top without suffering losses, whether that be your friends or family killed or losing a battle here and there. Even then, your problems don't disappear. They are suppressed, but they still exist.

I like IV because it's an accurate representation of the criminal lifestyle. It's not glamourous. Not like V makes it out to be. It's a sad, bloody, violent, miserable road. It's even worse when you have to go it alone.

Wow that was deep.
  • Mister Pink, Efreet, anthony and 3 others like this

BlestCobra81156
  • BlestCobra81156

LSSLRP.enjin.com

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

Compared to the other games within the GTA series, it is definitely a change...

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:19 PM

Depressing in many aspects yes, but not entirely. Overall I'd describe it as a highly entertaining, dark crime drama with explosive moments of action.

• Algonquin Assassin, Efreet, anthony and 2 others like this

Brian Grey
  • Brian Grey

Darksider

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:57 AM

Because I finished the game yeah, it was well rounded, you had comedy, action even heartfelt conversations adding a layer a depth, its depressing in the sense of Nikos true intentions and his mission, its depressing if Roman was killed because you just lost someone important, gone.

GTA IV wasn't that depressing to me, it was fun and action packed with a few depressing moments adding a few layers of depth what make Niko Bellic be the way he is.
  • Algonquin Assassin and Payne Killer like this

Saganist
  • Saganist

The Cosmos Is Within Us

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

There were a lot of depressing or sad parts of the story such as Karen's betrayal, Roman's possible death, then Kate leaving, Roman's cab depot burning down, etc.

But it wasn't totally depressing there were a lot of awesome and funny moments within the story, although the darker tone fit the grit of Liberty City so I think it worked out well.

• Payne Killer likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:40 PM Edited by Journey_95, 23 July 2017 - 07:52 PM.

I just replayed RDR and I'm not sure how one can say its less depressing than GTA IV. In IV at least you have some loyal friends and at the end Niko can move on from revenge (by not killing Darko) and be free of the criminal lifestyle as well. There is good humor throughout the story as well.

In RDR you just keep doing favours for annoying people throughout the story (with no reward, Niko in IV at least earns a lot of money) just to find your old friends who you have to kill now anyway. Those two agents have you by the balls and there is no freedom in the story. At the end despite doing everything they wanted you still get f*cked over and your son becomes exactly like you which is what John wanted to avoid.

Its still a great game obviously (but I think IV is better and more satisfying) 

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:38 AM

I just replayed RDR and I'm not sure how one can say its less depressing than GTA IV. In IV at least you have some loyal friends and at the end Niko can move on from revenge (by not killing Darko) and be free of the criminal lifestyle as well. There is good humor throughout the story as well.

In RDR you just keep doing favours for annoying people throughout the story (with no reward, Niko in IV at least earns a lot of money) just to find your old friends who you have to kill now anyway. Those two agents have you by the balls and there is no freedom in the story. At the end despite doing everything they wanted you still get f*cked over and your son becomes exactly like you which is what John wanted to avoid.

To be honest (puts flame suit on) RDR's story is overrated. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I did, but as you said it ends up being more depressing than GTA IV yet it's seen as a critically acclaimed masterpiece and GTA IV can't seem to shake off that spawn of Satan tag many players gave it.

Even the way John tracks down Williamson and Dutch is pretty much identical to Niko looking for Florian and Darko (Real original R*). At the end of GTA IV Niko at least settles down (even if he loses someone close to him). John's family is completely ruined and he himself ends up 6 feet under in a grave (or comes back as a zombie if you play Undead Nightmare :p).

RDR's great, but by God. It's given a free pass for most of the things GTA IV got dragged through the coals for just because it isn't a GTA game and GTA games still have the stigma that they have to be wild and crazy to be accepted.

• theGTAking101 and DimitriFaustin like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:37 AM Edited by Journey_95, 24 July 2017 - 05:44 AM.

To be honest (puts flame suit on) RDR's story is overrated. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I did, but as you said it ends up being more depressing than GTA IV yet it's seen as a critically acclaim edmasterpiece and GTA IV can't seem to shake off that spawn of Satan tag many players gave it.

Even the way John tracks down Williamson and Dutch is pretty much identical to Niko looking for Florian and Darko (Real original R*). At the end of GTA IV Niko at least settles down (even if he loses someone close to him). John's family is completely ruined and he himself ends up 6 feet under in a grave (or comes back as a zombie if you play Undead Nightmare :p).

RDR's great, but by God. It's given a free pass for most of the things GTA IV got dragged through the coals for just because it isn't a GTA game and GTA games still have the stigma that they have to be wild and crazy to be accepted.

Couldn't agree more. RDR's story is really great (and its one of my favourite games) but its crazy how IV is bashed for the same things, RDR is praised for. RDR focuses more on the story instead of just having as fun gameplay as possible and its praised, GTA IV does the same thing and its boring. GTA IV's story is too depressing, RDR's is even bleaker but fans like Fuzzknuckles say someone like West Dickens makes it "lighter" (what about Brucie, Roman, Bernie etc.).

IV is too dragged out, then RDR has the Mexico portion (which is a chore apart from the old guys missions) and RDR feels even more dragged out to me because the story is so focused on finding Dutch & co. that there is little room for anything else. IV doesn't really focus that much on finding Florian and Darko (which  people whined about) but I vastly prefer that because it allows the different story arcs to be more focused and do their own thing. Niko saying "I have to find someone" in each quest would be annoying).

I think the good/evil system in RDR is complete bs but people say how it allows you to play as a more ruthless John but it still doesn't make any sense for his character (just like it doesn't for Niko to kill random people on the street but he is bashed for it). 

These similarities are noticed by many but from what I have seen its basically said that RDR did the things GTA IV wanted to do but better and Rockstar apparently learned from their mistakes which is imho bullsh*t. I agree that it has to do with the GTA IP and what people think it has to be like (over the top fun story and characters, crazy missions etc. and thats it.). 

• Algonquin Assassin and DimitriFaustin like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users