Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do you find GTA IV's story "depressing"?

116 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you find GTA IV's story "depressing"? (122 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you find GTA IV's story "depressing"?

1. Yes (44 votes [36.07%])

Percentage of vote: 36.07%

2. No (78 votes [63.93%])

Percentage of vote: 63.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Biggie Kaniff
  • Biggie Kaniff

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

The endings are deppresing tho.

Well I think canon is Revenge and even though Kate dies and Niko grieves, I'm sure he'd get over it soon. They weren't even that damn close if you ask me. And personally I thought she was a prune.

i never felt a strong connection between them either.

the story has dark moments but theres also plenty of humor in it, very well balanced in my opinion.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:57 PM

Well I think canon is Revenge and even though Kate dies and Niko grieves, I'm sure he'd get over it soon. They weren't even that damn close if you ask me. And personally I thought she was a prune.

I never really liked Kate when I first played GTA IV, but like some other characters she's grown on me over time. You really have to hang out with her and listen to their conversations. Niko reveals to her that Roman's mother was raped and killed.

He never says that to anyone else so IMO I think they have a close bond.

• Raptor013, ryd3r007 and Misunderstood like this

Affalterbach
  • Affalterbach

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:43 AM

The weather is depressing af.

CesarCorona
  • CesarCorona

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:45 AM

It has it's moments of intense emotions mixed with all a human can Handel. Great stories do that.
I don't feel it's depressing. Perhaps feeling a bit of all like Niko. I mean we play this great character so if he's tired or annoyed, you feel that sh!t.
Overall, it's not complicate it end of the World for NB.

Depends how you play the game, and decisions...
  • MiamiViceCity likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:37 PM

Not really. I mean, it's really not. I mean it rains and gets overcast sometimes but it's not that bad. I have it sunny a lot and the vibrance when it's sunny is more natural than it is in V. All of that fake sunny sh*t in V looks and feels unnatural.

Affalterbach
  • Affalterbach

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

Not really. I mean, it's really not. I mean it rains and gets overcast sometimes but it's not that bad. I have it sunny a lot and the vibrance when it's sunny is more natural than it is in V. All of that fake sunny sh*t in V looks and feels unnatural.

It's understandable why IV got so many rain and overcoast, because its in NY. V is in LA thats why its always sunny. What Rockstar did is make it realistic, and they did a good job with that, but i still prefer V's weather.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:04 AM

It's understandable why IV got so many rain and overcoast, because its in NY. V is in LA thats why its always sunny. What Rockstar did is make it realistic, and they did a good job with that, but i still prefer V's weather.

I don't think it has anything to do with it being New York City. GTA IV is set during Autumn/Winter so it makes sense the weather would be generally more dreary yet at the same time I think it also makes things really beautiful.

Sunshine and blue skies are overrated.;)

• Raptor013 likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:10 AM

I never really liked Kate when I first played GTA IV, but like some other characters she's grown on me over time. You really have to hang out with her and listen to their conversations. Niko reveals to her that Roman's mother was raped and killed.

He never says that to anyone else so IMO I think they have a close bond.

I have always liked Kate from the Start. It was refreshing to see a Morally-Upstanding Character in the Series.

What thoughts of her have caused you to change your opinion of her?

• MiamiViceCity and theGTAking101 like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:13 AM

I have always liked Kate from the Start. It was refreshing to see a Morally-Upstanding Character in the Series.

Phill in the beginning I never hung out much with her and fond her to be generally snobby. It wasn't until I explored the friends/girlfriends system I could fully appreciate the intention of her character. :)

• PhillBellic and Misunderstood like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:16 AM

Phill in the beginning I never hung out much with her and fond her to be generally snobby. It wasn't until I explored the friends/girlfriends system I could fully appreciate the intention of her character. :)

That's valid reasoning. Are you even mad that you can't partake 'Hot Coffee' with her, and secondly, would you like a future Character like her to have her Morals, Mannerisms, and Personality?

:^:

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:19 AM

Nah. Doesn't bother me. Makes her moral stance realistic that she doesn't want to get too close and I wouldn't mind seeing another character like her. Getting a bit sick of how women are usually portrayed as over sexualized bimbos..

• HaythamKenway, PhillBellic, Jeansowaty and 1 other like this

ryd3r007
  • ryd3r007

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

I always like Kate, she like Niko for better and worse without any interest behind, and in the dialogues you know she tried to make Niko a better man, a free man, not change it but make Niko a man who want to be, its a shame she had to die (Roman > Kate)

• PhillBellic likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:15 PM

Nah. Doesn't bother me. Makes her moral stance realistic that she doesn't want to get too close and I wouldn't mind seeing another character like her. Getting a bit sick of how women are usually portrayed as over sexualized bimbos..

Agreed on the last part. There's no female character in V that isn't portrayed as a pos. They even brought Karen back as some demented and naggy little sh*t. Like really? Rockstar needs to get some better writers.
  • MiamiViceCity and PhillBellic like this

Rytuklis
  • Rytuklis

That sarcastic asshole you all have grown to love.

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

GTA IV's story was cool, but the missions themselves were too boring. The entire game was literally "Go there, kill that, escape the cops". Thank God the mission variety from previous titles was brought back in GTA V.

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:29 PM

I always like Kate, she like Niko for better and worse without any interest behind, and in the dialogues you know she tried to make Niko a better man, a free man, not change it but make Niko a man who want to be, its a shame she had to die (Roman > Kate)

And the Revenge ending is way more satisfying and in my opinion, it's the choice Niko would make, rather than Deal.
  • Raptor013 likes this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Rebellions are built on hope

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:55 PM Edited by HaythamKenway, 05 February 2016 - 04:56 PM.

Agreed on the last part. There's no female character in V that isn't portrayed as a pos. They even brought Karen back as some demented and naggy little sh*t. Like really? Rockstar needs to get some better writers.

Not defending Rockstar here, good female characters in their games really tend to, unfortunately, be an exception rather than norm (Kate, Karen in IV, Bonnie and... uhh... Kendl... maybe?), but that's just one symptom of a larger issue.

Everyone in V is an as*hole. Every single character. Now, obviously, a character in GTA doesn't have to be a "good person" to be symphatetic (hence using Karen's portrayal in IV as a positive example above), but there is a line where all character's redeeming qualities become nullified compared to his flaws and negative traits. Characters like Roman, Brucie, Jacob have a plenty of flaws. But they are complex characters, written in a way to make them genuinely likable and so they grow on you as the game progresses. But V's cast? Annoying scumbags and idiots everywhere.

The closest Houser and Humphries came to the depth and likability of IV's supporting cast in V is with Lamar and... yeah, I'll let that speak for itself.

• B Dawg likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:28 PM

And the Revenge ending is way more satisfying and in my opinion, it's the choice Niko would make, rather than Deal.

Both endings make no sense. Poorly designed choices.

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

You needed to quote me for that? You're clearly trying to bait me. And you call me a troll...
  • MiamiViceCity, PhillBellic, Journey_95 and 2 others like this

Misunderstood
  • Misunderstood

Keep up, motherf*cker!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:11 PM

If we're talking about bad endings, you're in the wrong section, pal. 

• MiamiViceCity, PhillBellic, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

It was dark. Not depressing per se, but both endings are powerful. So I get that sad feeling at the ending. But overall the story as a whole is not depressing. It has enough funny moments and characters to elevate the mood.

• MiamiViceCity, PhillBellic, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

HeySlickThatsMe
  • HeySlickThatsMe

Homeboy

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:58 PM

Yes And No

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:07 PM

It was dark. Not depressing per se, but both endings are powerful. So I get that sad feeling at the ending. But overall the story as a whole is not depressing. It has enough funny moments and characters to elevate the mood.

Very well said. I think dark is a much better way to describe it, rather than depressing.

It has its funny, happy, light heated moments, but it also has its fair share of dark moments.

• MiamiViceCity likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:18 AM

It's a bleak ending. But sometimes they are needed. Happy endings are so cliché, they get on my nerves. Like you know you're going to win, why even bother?
  • MiamiViceCity, Donut, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:17 AM

You needed to quote me for that FACT? ...
The endings are laughably silly. No matter how much people defend it.

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:50 AM

V's endings are the definition of silly. IV's are the opposite of silly. They're believable, they make perfect sense. Explain why you think the choices are "poorly designed".

• Misunderstood likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:12 AM

V's endings are the definition of silly. IV's are the opposite of silly. They're believable, they make perfect sense. Explain why you think the choices are "poorly designed".
Lol..The endings are a rip-off and feels like a lazy copout. Giving the player choices at the end after spending 99% of the time with no choices to alter the ending rather throwing it after playing through the boring, repetitive, linear missions is a really, really silly idea.

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:18 AM Edited by theGTAking101, 06 February 2016 - 03:20 AM.

Lol..The endings are a rip-off and feels like a lazy copout. Giving the player choices at the end after spending 99% of the time with no choices to alter the ending rather throwing it after playing through the boring, repetitive, linear missions is a really, really silly idea.

Yeah...lol...no. I'd like to know how you feel about V's endings if you think IV's are this bad. What makes these missions a ripoff I must ask? Can you give a valid answer to why you think that?

Also your point about spending 99% of the time with no choices to alter the ending, that's irrelevant. All the GTA games are like that. In your precious 3D games you spend 100% of the time with no choices.

• Raptor013, MiamiViceCity, Donut and 1 other like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:45 AM

I would rather have a choice than none at all (looking at you 3D era), but there should also be a balance so the choices don't feel rushed and last minute-ish aka GTA V and GTA IV done that to me. The way the endings in GTA IV play out IMO fits the story fine. I remember the first time I finished GTA IV's story and I must've drove around Alderney for about 10 minutes deciding to take Deal or Revenge.

I think I went with Deal as at the time I trusted Roman's word over Kate's..

• cp1dell and theGTAking101 like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:07 AM

No.

People always complain that IV was "too dark" or "too depressing." There was plenty of comedic relief throughout the game. Hell, almost every cutscene had some humor in it. The story was just well crafted and more serious than the previous games, and looking back on it, when you ignore all the details and everything that happened, or what was said - yeah, it's very easy in summary to say that IV was "depressing."

You tell someone: "It's a story about this guy who moves to America partly because his cousin promised him this awesome life, but that turns out to be crap. He's really looking for someone that betrayed him and killed all his friends back home during the war. He constantly runs into trouble in this city, and his overall life is pretty sh*t. He finds the guy and doesn't feel any better about it afterwards like he had hoped. At the end, his cousin is killed by a bullet that was meant for him, from a guy that was sent by another guy that has been constantly antagonizing the protagonist since the beginning of the story. And in the end he's left with nothing," you bet you're ass that's a depressing sounding f*cking story.

But that's just a summary of major plot points. You overlook and forget about all the lightheartedness that was there during the story.

Basically, IV is a bit dark, and it is pretty serious when it comes to the story. But I can't stand it when people say it was "too dark" or "too depressing," because that's just completely false. Hell, compare it to Red Dead Redemption which never met the same criticism - yet its story was just as serious and dark as IV's. John Marston only really makes a joke once the entire game, compared to Niko who every once and a while throws in some snark.

• MiamiViceCity, B Dawg and theGTAking101 like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:44 AM

I think it's different with the GTA series because there's an expectation that the games should be be silly and wacky so even though a game like RDR has a more depressing story it doesn't seem to register as much. The best thing about GTA IV IMO is it balances its lighthearted and serious moments perfectly.

If you watch every single cutscene how many are truly "depressing"? Funnily enough (no pun intended) I find Niko to be one of the more humourous protagonists despite his back story. He's full of epic one liners and generally messes around with his friends. The times where GTA IV puts this aside and wants to take itself more seriously are those moments of betrayal or revelation, but that's what makes Niko such a great and well rounded character and how his story revolves and evolves around him.

• Raptor013, cp1dell and B Dawg like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users