I'm trying to play my original CD-Roms of GTA 1 (the Limited Edition version that came out in 1997!) and GTA London on Windows 7 but they will not play. The issues I am encountering are as follows:
- Both GTA & London install successfully on Win7 but when I try to play, the games start up and say the CDs are not present, even though they are.
- I've changed the compatibility to Windows 95 on both games, but this time when I click on play I get the error messages "Unable to link to Kernel32.dll" followed by "Cannot load WDIRxxF.dll" and the games do not load.
- I've seen some suggestions to play via the GTA.bat file, when I click on this I get the error message "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe This system does not support fullscreen mode." and I don't know how to turn fullscreen off, or if I can, as I am unfamiliar with dos.
- I've installed both games on Windows Virtual PC under Windows XP. When I try to play them I now get the error message "Error 268.473 cannot find a suitable display mode". I've changed the Display Settings under Properties to Run in 640x480 screen resolution but I still get Error 268.473.
- Still using Virtual PC I then change the compatibility to Windows 95 on both games but again get the Kernel32 and WDIRxxF errors.
I've seen comments from people saying they're successfully playing GTA1 & London on Win7 so I'm hoping I can too with some help! My system is Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.
Any help would be very much appreciated as I miss playing GTA1, especially 60s London.