The Gaming Chat Café

907 replies to this topic
Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:53 AM

Interesting article about the lesser known (or lesser mentioned) issues of the so praised Steam ExtremeTech.

I highly recommend this reading, and I think the biggest reason the mentioned issues appeared is because Steam clearly has a monopoly when it comes to PC games distribution which is really hard to overcome. Some companies such as EA and Ubisoft have their own platforms but it for their own games, and other attempts like Windows Store tend to make the market confusing by splitting the titles you own across digital platforms.

B7R
  • B7R

Custom

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:07 AM

How cheap does GTAV For PC get when it comes to Steam sales? 

I've been holding off on getting GTAV for PC for a while as the price has just been out of what I'm willing to pay for it but EB-Games (Our own Gamestop) is currently selling it on sale for $57 (Disc Based of course). According to leaks on the internet which I'm taking a grain of salt with, the next major steam sale isn't far off apparently so I don't know if I should hold out and buy it from steam when it goes on sale (if it does) or just buy it from EB's while I can. 

Hard to choose which method I should buy GTAV with. 

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:46 PM

For these kind of questions https://isthereanydeal.comis the site you want.

In this case, it gives $30 as the lowest price, and the price history shows that last happened in march.

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:14 AM

I have a question out of pure curiousity regarding PC gaming. I haven't been a PC gamer since 2004 or so. If you want to play a game, do you have to play it via Steam or a similar platform? Is piracy still a thing people get away with? Can one simply download a game for free and play it? I'm not talking about retro games but rather recent releases.

I don't intend to neither buy a gaming pc, nor pirate a game. I just wonder if it's still a huge issue. Back then, pirating a game was easier than walking to the store to buy it and some developers lost millions because of it. I don't intend to start any forum rule breaking discussion, all I want to ask is if piracy in modern gaming has better security measures and if the sales still suffer from piracy.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:30 AM

Modern gaming still has a fair amount of piracy, but it's not as easy as it used to be, especially with the rise of online games that are basically impossible to pirate and more platforms like steam (Blizzard's battle.net, EA's Origin, Ubisoft's Uplay).
  • Mister Pink and Niobium like this

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

What doth LIFE Life life?

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

There are also frequent sales on various online stores so you can get an abundance of games for dirt cheap. Not as much need to pirate.

luisniko
  • luisniko

Mayhem Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:43 AM

“You can’t give stuff away for free in perpetuity; there’s no business model in that,”

“But we’re not trying to optimise the monetisation of everything we do to the nth degree. My concern is, if you do that, the consumer knows. They might not even know that they know, but they feel it.”

http://www.vg247.com...ead-redemption/

So RDR2, unlike some people wished for, will not miss the Shark Cards business. (Thankfully, I'm long gone from R* and I don't care about RDR)

Are people going to use the same "R* is business, it's normal for them to make money" defense mechanism while still crapping in their pants all the time when other companies like Ubi and EA do the 'same dirty, different look' schemes?

Reading this reminisced me of getting bashed in the GTAO section for not giving special greenlight to Rockstar's scheme and deceptions (such as claiming paid DLC will separate playerbase after they did Collector's Edition exclusive DLC and GTAO newgen-transfer's exclusive contents which practically didn't split playerbase at all).
  • Mister Pink and Payne Killer like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

It's the same ol' "It's okay when X does it!" argument. Some devs just get a pass because of the accumulated goodwill. Whether that reputation has an actual basis earned through their current production or something they did ten years ago is irrelevant. Rockstar releasing so few games, so irregularly also works in their favor. Tired trends and shady practices don't become quite so apparent when you release one major game in FIVE years, compared to EA and Ubi who agressively oversaturate the market every year.

Rockstar can happily coast on all that, while the others keep running in their audience burnout cycles. There's always a chance that might get the Fallout 4 situation where the general audience will finally wise up on Rockstar, but I wouldn't bet on it. You'd need a The Witcher 3-tier release to stand in contrast to RDR2 for that and who knows if we'll get Cyberpunk next year.

I have zero hype for this game. It'll be just GTA V all over again. Unfortunately, there is no reason for them to do things differently.

• Mister Pink, Grae, KilnerLUFC and 3 others like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:57 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 04 June 2017 - 08:57 PM.

Very depressing read from Take 2. Yeah I've lost faith in Take 2/Rockstar when it comes to micro-transactions and singleplayer support. 

• HaythamKenway and Payne Killer like this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:42 AM

The shark card system in GTA Online may have been a decent idea if it wasn't an option between spending all day grinding away or to buy a card; made even worse with the insanely stupid prices of the in-game weapons, cars etc...Micro-transactions apply to all gamers though and thats the problem - Kids who whine to their parents till they buy them one, or the older gamer with less time on their hands who want to acquire that luxury item without needless grinding away.

GTA V killed all my interest in RDR2 unfortunately...

• Mister Pink and HaythamKenway like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:08 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 05 June 2017 - 01:09 AM.

I just want a level playing field. For example, if I meet you online and you have lots of luxury items, I would like to appreciate your dedication to the game that you earned that stuff from playing the game and not just by buying shark cards. Back when friends would come over to play San Andreas, I had all this cool stuff like the Hot Knife and free weapons supplies at my garage and house because I did all the collectibles and went for gold. I miss that element, when a mate would enviously ask "how did you get that?" 

I'm cautiously optimistic about RDR2. Definitely, about anything Rockstar is doing now. Rockstar have sort of risen up there with Activisions and EA's of gaming. Hopefully they can win me back with RDR2.

• Grae, HaythamKenway, luisniko and 1 other like this

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:03 AM

Shark cards are still unbelievably overpriced. 100 bucks for 8 million = +-4 high end vehicles. It's not even enough for a decently upgraded yacht. I'm bot even sure if it's enough for the cheapest yacht without upgrades.

Back then, for 25 bucks we got a 20+ mission DLC, handful of weapons, new looks, new features like parachuting and a sh*tton of new cars and vehicles. Oh yeah, and new multiplayer modes too.

Now for the same price you can buy a vehicle! Yay!
  • Mister Pink, KilnerLUFC, HaythamKenway and 2 others like this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Mayhem Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:45 AM

Shark cards are still unbelievably overpriced. 100 bucks for 8 million = +-4 high end vehicles. It's not even enough for a decently upgraded yacht. I'm bot even sure if it's enough for the cheapest yacht without upgrades.

Back then, for 25 bucks we got a 20+ mission DLC, handful of weapons, new looks, new features like parachuting and a sh*tton of new cars and vehicles. Oh yeah, and new multiplayer modes too.

Well, the problem is, not everyone can do simple math and if they do, they will blind themselves for Rockstar.

And guess what, Take2 is happy when you 'don't know'. They want to keep you 'don't know'. Dumb customer is their primary target.
  • Mister Pink, HaythamKenway and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

I'm still excited for the game, because I did actually really enjoy the GTA V singleplayer when the game first came out and despite its numerous flaws I've had a lot of fun playing GTA Online. I definitely don't like the direction they seem to be taking with these microtransactions, but I expect that there will still be a lot to enjoy in the game.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:13 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 05 June 2017 - 11:27 AM.

That's mental! 100 quid for 8 million? Wow. And people buy this? As a consumer I'm kind of offended that someone would even make such a thing available to buy. I feel insulted that a company that I'm normally happy to support would think this is a good product. I mean I don't mind them if they didn't have an affect on those that chose not to use them. Things are overpriced in GTAO and they just happen to have a solution to that, which is using real money. It's devolves in to a "pay-up or grind-up" scenario. Not a fun gaming experience. If you pay for shark cards, I also don't want to be in the same lobby as you. I want to be with people that played to get their things. Same goes for cheats.. they can f off. 

Maybe they'll throw some of that easy money back in to the games or give us a decent single player experience. 

100 dollars for 8 million?!! That's the sort of business that would make me embarrassed to call myself a GTA fan. I mean it's pretty hard to defend that. (just my personal opinion)

Thankfully the Rockstar make quality games. I should think no less of RDR2. But I just wish game devs would lay off the micro-transactions. They leave a bad taste in people's mouths.

• HaythamKenway, Richard Power Colt and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

It used to be a better deal back in the early days of GTA Online, problem is how the prices for new items have only gone up with every update. It would have been fair if they also made the shark cards cheaper as a result, but of course why would they when a bunch of people buy them anyway.
  • Mister Pink and HaythamKenway like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

Just make Online a subscription-based MMO if the service and continued development is too expensive to run.

But oh, then they'd have to deal with the sad reality that Online is still just this weird mutated multiplayer addon to a singleplayer game, no matter how you look at it. It's ridiculous. Full MMOs all over the place went F2P, making money off microtransactions and selling expansions. I wouldn't call the former exactly kosher (the latter, on the other hand, yeah why not - you get the base for free and then you pay for the substantial addons that might as well be new games altogether). A lot of them have flopped, but some carved out a living for themselves. Far bigger and more robust games than Online in its current form would ever hope to be. So why does this game piggybacking on a full priced singleplayer game that was one of the best selling games of all time and that they've sold twice need such absurdly overpriced microtransactions and warped in-game economy?

It's just exploitation. Period. GTAO is one of the most popular games today, with high player retention. It doesn't need to nickel-and-dime the consumers like this. Okay, content and work needs to be paid for, I fully support that, but they could easily make money through more modest microtransaction model. Or by releasing actual expansions again. Devs get paid and customers get an actual product that they don't feel ripped off for supporting. Sure, because of how insidious and effective this current system is, they'd be making less, but I refuse to believe that a game as big as GTAO still wouldn't make a nice, tidy profit either way. It's not about "just" making money, though, fairly and with respect for the consumer. It's about squeezing every single drop out of your loyal fanbase because you can.

• Mister Pink, Wu-Tang Forever, Richard Power Colt and 2 others like this

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:48 PM Edited by fashion, 05 June 2017 - 04:54 PM.

While I think the shark card business is plain retarded, I kind of understand them. In the end, it's all about the cash and when people wouldn't have bought so many shark cards in the beginnings of GTAO, then I bet the singleplayer dlc wouldn't have been scratched.

But then what really pissed be off more than anything in the gaming world of the recent years is not adding the new cars to singleplayer. Now we can't even test them before grinding for a car for weeks/buying a shark card. It's so goddamn obvious why they don't add them anymore.
I understand: it's business. But does it have to be so incredibly overpriced? A new car shouldn't cost you more than 3 bucks MAX. Currently, 3 bucks gives you 100 grand.

What can you do with 100.000 in GTAO? Wipe your ass with it.

Well, at least Take2 confirmed that selling a product of the highest quality possible is their top priority. Whether you liked GTA5 or not, everyone has to admit that there was a lot of effort put into it at release, both old gen and next gen. The cheap online tactics came later, and that makes them greedy dicks and a lot of players stupid enough to buy those cards. Nonetheless, their games are awesome. RDR2 will be legendary like it's predecessor. Just forget about their stupid online currency and don't let it distract you from enjoying the end product.

If everyone would posess the ability to think and realize the new stuff they add simply isn't worth the money, then they'd be forced to change their business model. The stuff they add in isn't bad. It being overpriced and online exclusive is the issue.
  • Mister Pink likes this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Mayhem Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:00 AM

Damn sure, RDR2 story will be shorter and made as a long tutorial like GTAV story mode.

Ooooorrrr....

They will be incorporating Shark Cards to Single Player as well, with inflated price and grindy mission replays.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

Pay 5 bucks to ride the horse. You have no money in your account. Would you like to top-up? 

• Algonquin Assassin, KilnerLUFC and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:31 PM

Exactly, the amount of times I was killed by some kid racing around in an armoured kuruma with all the mod-cons and what seemed like endless supply of ammo, you just knew they'd got all that from purchasing Shark Cards, rather than legitimately levelling up and earning the cash the hard way, and it just became so tedious. Here I was, working my ass of IRL and trying to grind away in GTAO in the little amount of time as possible, only to quickly realise I was never going to actually get anywhere within the game...Took me hours before I felt I had somewhat of a decent arsenal of weapons and ammo, and even that was like 3/4 weapons, and one car to go in my budget apartment...I got a little excited when DLC was announced, only to then see the stupid prices for the in-game items and just started to feel f*cked off...Why should I be at an advantage to a kid just because I don't want to pile in a f*ck ton of my IRL hard-earned cash...No, I want to feel like the high-end items can be acquired by doing some task within the game, some type of heist or challenge rewarded people in an item - the more challenges, the better the prize.

GTA Online was one of the biggest disappointments in quite some time for me. I spent some time doing the heists with a mate, then the thrill just wore off...the whole game was a f*cking disappointment in fact.

• Algonquin Assassin, HaythamKenway and Neon_Dreaming like this

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

Saw this on reddit, sorry for not properly posting the image as I'm on mobile. This is the sad truth of GTAO:
https://i.redd.it/w5pxjij26a4z.jpg
  • luisniko, Richard Power Colt and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

Static
  • Static

Natural blondie like Goku

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:32 PM Edited by Static, 18 June 2017 - 07:33 PM.

You can’t give stuff away for free in perpetuity; there’s no business model in that. We are convinced that we are probably from an industry view under-monetizing on a per-user basis. But we’re not trying to optimize the monetization of everything we do to the nth degree. My concern is, if you do that, the consumer knows. They might not even know that they know, but they feel it. There is wood to chop because I think we can do more, and we can do more without interfering with our strategy of being the most creative and our ethical approach, which is delighting consumers. We’re not going to grab the last nickel.

-Strauss Zelnick, Take-Two CEO

• DarkSavageDeathlyCloud likes this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Mayhem Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

Saw this on reddit, sorry for not properly posting the image as I'm on mobile. This is the sad truth of GTAO:
https://i.redd.it/w5pxjij26a4z.jpg

"B-but you can grind...!!!! Rockstar want you to-to-to grind"

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:21 AM

It's insane. I'm glad my bro had his account modded by a friendly modder so he can buy everything in GTAO. Gotta say, that bike is great to play around with but it's not worth grinding for weeks or the price tag. The c*nts don't ban those who transfered their PS3 accounts.

Microtransactions like this shouldn't cost more that 5 bucks. 50 bucks for just the bike. The update added a lot of other stuff, even more expensive vehicles, player bunkers and special customizable weapons. If you'd like to enjoy this update, you'll need like 500 bucks at least.
  • Zello and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Mayhem Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

It's insane. I'm glad my bro had his account modded by a friendly modder so he can buy everything in GTAO. Gotta say, that bike is great to play around with but it's not worth grinding for weeks or the price tag. The c*nts don't ban those who transfered their PS3 accounts.

Microtransactions like this shouldn't cost more that 5 bucks. 50 bucks for just the bike. The update added a lot of other stuff, even more expensive vehicles, player bunkers and special customizable weapons. If you'd like to enjoy this update, you'll need like 500 bucks at least.

This reminds me of For Honor outrage due to their cash card and item price.

But hey it's Rockstar, so it's green light. Pathetic.

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:17 AM Edited by Richard Power Colt, 19 June 2017 - 10:21 AM.

I can't believe the people who defend it by saying that "you can't just get everything easy you have to work for it". Yes, because video games are meant to be hard work. The missions in the game aren't even fun to play, I'd much rather just spend time f*cking around with friends in free mode but I can't get the most out of it when all the best toys are locked behind ridiculous paywalls.
Edit: I get that some things need to be earned, but GTA Online takes it way too far.
  • HaythamKenway, DarkSavageDeathlyCloud, Gremlin Sombra and 1 other like this

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:41 AM Edited by fashion, 19 June 2017 - 10:43 AM.

I can't believe the people who defend it by saying that "you can't just get everything easy you have to work for it". Yes, because video games are meant to be hard work. The missions in the game aren't even fun to play, I'd much rather just spend time f*cking around with friends in free mode but I can't get the most out of it when all the best toys are locked behind ridiculous paywalls.
Edit: I get that some things need to be earned, but GTA Online takes it way too far.

The other argument I strongly disagree with, mostly said by adult people with family/work: "I don't have a lot of time to play/grind but I have the money so I buy them"
If you support this sh*t, you're a part of the problem. It's very foolish to spend your limited time with a cash grabbing excuse of a game. Spend your money on other games instead, in the end you'll experience more games, save some money because you'll get a lot more playtime out of your cash.

"But my friends..."

Convince your friends as well damnit. GTAO's not the ultimate co-op experience.

GTAO's a glamoured mobile game. Even if you'd like to try out the new stuff and have limited time to play, open your eyes and don't support the bullsh*t.
Every shark card bought is like a vote for Hitler. Seriously pisses me off.

Microtransactions are the cancer of the industry. Money needs to be hard earned and not given to you by dumbasses. The prices are completely ridiculous. Unless you literally sh*t money, don't buy them.
  • Richard Power Colt, Gremlin Sombra and Neon_Dreaming like this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

It's weird because a few years ago the idea of microtransactions was laughed at and reviled, but now they've permeated the industry and get a lot of defenders for various reasons...even though every time, they very clearly do what caused people to not want to see them become commonplace: alter the gameplay to suit the microtransactions. Mobile games are built around them, GTAO has the gameplay tacked on and hacked around with to suit them, and it's suffered dearly.

But hey, no content is technically locked behind a paywall so it's obviously completely fine. Also, GTAO is also free so you literally are not allowed to complain. Ah, GTAO defenders...

It's rather telling when people don't have much experience with other games.
  • HaythamKenway, DarkSavageDeathlyCloud and Neon_Dreaming like this

Static
  • Static

Natural blondie like Goku

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:11 PM Edited by Static, 19 June 2017 - 08:12 PM.

They actually went after Online mods this time. But I'm sure ppl are still too busy losing their sh*t over OpenIV to even notice this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users