Photo

Gender & Sexuality

322 replies to this topic
Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:28 PM Edited by Eutyphro, 10 April 2017 - 04:30 PM.

Right well this is all semantics and it's pretty boring.

It's not complete semantics. Melchior seems to think human beings are born angels but are then corrupted by society. He seems to think criminal activity is a social construct and if people were not corrupted by their environment they would be perfectly good and cooperative.

Do you yourself believe that the way in which a society operates doesn't impact to a large extent how the people in that society are treated by themselves and react? If so do you not think (if you believe in good or bad people) that any society should put in place a structure in which bad things are mitigated so that less people suffer or are harmed by bad people?

I never disagreed with any of this. In fact, what I tried to do was list cultural attitudes that contribute to increasing sexual violence, and some legal aspects of these some posts back on which the idea of 'rape culture' could be rationally based.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

As for sivispacem, his definition of 'rape culture' which is "an excessive amount of sexual violence" is just completely vapid

Don't know where you got the idea it was a "definition" because I never said or suggested that. I simply pointed out that the term implied the observation of an excessive level of sexual violence in a society and ergo wasn't relative.

By way of a more detailed definition, I posit these questions:

> Are there particular subgroups in society which disproportionately commit, attempt to cover up, deliberately underrepresented or act as apologists for sexual violence without being checked or challenged by the rest of wider society?

> Is there an ingrained predisposition towards victim-blaming, attacking the credibility or moral decency of the victims of sexual violence, so as to create an environment where large numbers of victims simply feel unable to trust the justice system in addressing their concerns?

If the answer to either of these is "yes", there's your example.
  • Tchuck likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

мистер роз

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:26 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 11 April 2017 - 12:31 PM.

As for sivispacem, his definition of 'rape culture' which is "an excessive amount of sexual violence" is just completely vapid

Don't know where you got the idea it was a "definition" because I never said or suggested that. I simply pointed out that the term implied the observation of an excessive level of sexual violence in a society and ergo wasn't relative.

By way of a more detailed definition, I posit these questions:

> Are there particular subgroups in society which disproportionately commit, attempt to cover up, deliberately underrepresented or act as apologists for sexual violence without being checked or challenged by the rest of wider society?

> Is there an ingrained predisposition towards victim-blaming, attacking the credibility or moral decency of the victims of sexual violence, so as to create an environment where large numbers of victims simply feel unable to trust the justice system in addressing their concerns?

If the answer to either of these is "yes", there's your example.

If I can add something to this conversation because I can see where Eutyphro is coming from. 

For first answer, yes you could say there was an attempt to cover up rape culture or rape of 1,400 young girls by the police in Rotheram out of political correctness and fear for being branded xenophobic, Islamaphobes because the rapists were British-Pakastani-Muslims. 

When answering the second 2nd question: Alleged victims of violence have to be scrutinized during investigation which can be seen as an attack on their moral decency for the alleged victim because there is a large number of cases in which the defendant is falsely accused. The mere accusation of rape is enough to destroy a person's career and reputation. What matters is that the justice system does what it's supposed to do, find the truth and punish accordingly. Anyone can distrust an institution, it's surely doesn't mean that the institution is corrupt or will seek to find justice in rape cases. Multiple institutions stats put false rape claims at around 8%. That's a huge percentage to ignore when investigating rape claims given not only the judicial sentence that may be imposed but also the societal impact it will have on the perpetrator because, you know, society demonizes rapists. 

Most cases I read about that spew this victim-blaming narrative which is usually about cases where most other people take due-diligence to reduce the chances of anything untoward happening them. This sort of due-diligence has been lambasted and twisted as victim blaming. This sort of care is taken by almost everyone in society in everyday life all the time but not for the proponents of rape culture. It's a culture of not taking any responsibility, blaming society and having zero accountability.

Rape is not a cultural norm in western society. It's not condoned in western society. Apart from in prisons, maybe there's a rape culture there as we all know what happens to rapists in prison. We've all seen what happens when some is even accused of rape. Rape in the US has been declining in the last 10 years by more than 50%. However, these neo-feminists pushing this rape culture agenda will have you believe otherwise perpetuated with bogus data like the 1 in 5 women will be raped on college campuses a statistic in which where the wheels in which this "rape culture" phenomenon was running on. If there is a rape culture why is it that rape is declining? Why is it that rapists in prison get beaten up and attacked by those who can been seen to have low-moral code (inmates) in our society? 

As a victim, I'm all for reducing rape in any way we can. But to call western society a rape culture is grossly misleading and trivializes actual victims of violent rape and especially victims that actually live in a rape culture. 

• Eutyphro likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

For first answer, yes you could say there was an attempt to cover up rape culture or rape of 1,400 young girls by the police in Rotheram out of political correctness and fear for being branded xenophobic, Islamaphobes because the rapists were British-Pakastani-Muslims. 

Or the decades of abuse perpetrated by people in high society and covered up by the establishment.
Or the culture of sexual violence encouraged, perpetrated by or covered up by certain groups on university campuses.
Or in the social care system.
Or the prison system.

I could go on.

When answering the second 2nd question: Alleged victims of violence have to be scrutinized during investigation which can be seen as an attack on their moral decency for the alleged victim because there is a large number of cases in which the defendant is falsely accused.

By all accounts, false accusations are a small (well under 10%) of all criminal accusations, and criminal accusations make up somewhere, best estimates, between 10% and 20% of actual incidents. It's an issue, but there are far bigger ones.

None of this excuses the fact that senior figures in the judicial systems of many Western countries still hold the views that victims of sexual violence are at least in part victims of their own impropriety, naiveté or indecency.

The mere accusation of rape is enough to destroy a person's career and reputation.

Which is tackled with measures such as anonymity. It's bordering on completely irrelevant.

Most cases I read about that spew this victim-blaming narrative which is usually about cases where most other people take due-diligence to reduce the chances of anything untoward happening them.

The issue with this narrative is that it excuses the actions of the perpetrator to some degree, which is patently ridiculous. There's a line between reminding people to remain aware of risks, and asking them to modify their behaviours in an (often misguided) attempt to dissuade criminal actions of others.

If a pedestrian is hit and killed by a dangerous driver when legally crossing a road whilst intoxicated, we don't say "so yeah, the driver is really had but you really shouldn't be legally crossing the road if you've had a couple of beers". Suggesting people adjust their behaviour to mitigate the violent, criminal actions of others instead of addressing the root issue of their crimes is f*cking moronic.

Rape is not a cultural norm in western society.

I don't recall ever suggesting it was. It is, however, accepted, condoned, wilfully ignored or dismissed as irrelevant in certain societal and cultural groups, whilst wider society turns a blind eye or shrugs it off.
  • Tchuck and Mister Pink like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:09 PM Edited by Eutyphro, 11 April 2017 - 02:29 PM.

Or the decades of abuse perpetrated by people in high society and covered up by the establishment.

Or the culture of sexual violence encouraged, perpetrated by or covered up by certain groups on university campuses.
Or the prison system.

I could go on.

Except that when feminists talk about 'rape culture' they aren't talking about men being raped in prison. And the fact that certain groups cover up crimes, doesn't indicate that it is a cultural problem. The fact that certain groups out of self interest cover up crimes doesn't indicate that the causes are cultural attitudes.

Furthermore, the idea that massive amounts of sexual violence occurring on campuses are covered up is a hoax, because there is barely evidence to support it. Recently there was a case where two blacked out drunken teens had consensual sex and the girl was talked into the idea that it was rape later on by high ranking female administrators and friends because she had regret, eventhough objectively from text messages could be verified that she consented. Therefore the police was not interested in prosecuting, but they guy was kicked out and would probably be unable to get into most other colleges due to the incident, effectively ruining his college opportunities. http://www.laweekly....unk-man-5602239

None of this excuses the fact that senior figures in the judicial systems of many Western countries still hold the views that victims of sexual violence are at least in part victims of their own impropriety, naiveté or indecency.

(Is there an ingrained predisposition towards victim-blaming, attacking the credibility or moral decency of the victims of sexual violence, so as to create an environment where large numbers of victims simply feel unable to trust the justice system in addressing their concerns?)

Where exactly do you base any of this on?

Which is tackled with measures such as anonymity. It's bordering on completely irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant. The guy accused by mattress girl, who was a liar, had his public image completely destroyed by her.

I don't recall ever suggesting it was. It is, however, accepted, condoned, wilfully ignored or dismissed as irrelevant in certain societal and cultural groups, whilst wider society turns a blind eye or shrugs it off.

The fact that certain groups cover up crimes, is not comparable to the cultural rape problem in for instance Egypt, where if you ask men on the street what they think about the sexual assaults that occurred on Tahrir square, they incredibly often respond that the woman herself is to blame, because she was a non muslim/not veiled/a slut etc.. A cultural problem with rape is where there are dominant cultural ideas that male sexual aggression should be prevented by covering up women and keeping them in the house. And that if a man commits an act of sexual aggression, it is therefore also the womans fault. Those are actual cultural ideas which constitute a rape culture. And we saw this behaviour in Cologne on new years eve a year ago. Last new years eve they resorted to preventively removing large groups of North African men from German city centers to prevent it from happening again, which was effectively racial profiling.

If there is any place where the dominant culture strongly opposes such norms of slut shaming and the indepence and autonomy of women is widely affirmed, it is in Western and Northern Europe. If there is any place in the world where there is not a rape culture, it is there. Or alternatively rape culture is everywhere.

• Mister Pink likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

Except that when feminists talk about 'rape culture' they aren't talking about men being raped in prison

... What's your point? Last time I checked I was speaking to my own views, not trying to interpret and present the views of whatever you're seeking "feminists".

Furthermore, the idea that massive amounts of sexual violence occurring on campuses are covered up is a hoax

And your evidence to support this assertion is...an argument from anecdote? Nice. Conversely, every single set of statistics I can find shows a higher recorded level of sexual violence in universities than the baseline.

But of course, you'll probably argue these statistics are "manipulated" or "twisted" or just "wrong"- of course, without citing any justification for this.

Where exactly do you base any of this on?

The prevalence of such comments in the public statements by senior individuals in the criminal justice system. It's not designed to be an empirical study of the prevalence of these viewed, simply a confirmation that they exist.

It's not irrelevant.

Yes it is. The entire issue of false accusations and the harms cause by not affording anonymity to all involved is entirely separate to the discussion at hand. Ergo, irrelevant.

The fact that certain groups cover up crimes, is not comparable to the cultural rape problem

Isn't it?
  • Tchuck likes this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:52 PM Edited by Eutyphro, 11 April 2017 - 02:52 PM.

Furthermore, the idea that massive amounts of sexual violence occurring on campuses are covered up is a hoax

And your evidence to support this assertion is...an argument from anecdote? Nice. Conversely, every single set of statistics I can find shows a higher recorded level of sexual violence in universities than the baseline.

But of course, you'll probably argue these statistics are "manipulated" or "twisted" or just "wrong"- of course, without citing any justification for this.

I don't doubt sexual misconduct is prevalent in colleges. I have read that the way it has been surveyed and interpreted has sometimes been questionable though. What I am taking issue with is the idea that sexual misconduct in colleges is condoned, covered up, and that there is a 'culture' where girls are victim blamed in colleges. There is no evidence to support that.

It's also not surprising that college aged women face more sexual misconduct than women of all age groups in wider society. That's completely unsurprising, considering young women more often end up in situations where they can be taken advantage of. It doesn't prove college is a 'rape culture'.

The prevalence of such comments in the public statements by senior individuals in the criminal justice system. It's not designed to be an empirical study of the prevalence of these viewed, simply a confirmation that they exist.

So from anecdote?

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

мистер роз

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:33 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 11 April 2017 - 03:41 PM.

Or the prison system.

I could go on.

Thanks for replying and I appreciate you are replying to two of us which may or may not get a little hairy. I think it's important that we define rape culture for the sake of this discussion and see where our points relate to it's context. 

A society or environment whose prevailing social attitudes have the effect of normalizing or trivializing sexual assault and abuse. - Oxford Reference online.

I  think labeling western society as having a rape culture is grossly exaggerated because my argument is that in western society rape is punishable by law and is generally frowned upon and has vast consequences for not only those that are guilty of rape but extends to those accused of rape. 

I'm not ignoring the fact that there has been cover-ups or that rape hasn't occurred in social services but I don't think it means there's a rape culture. I don't think anyone thought it was acceptable or anyone covered it up because it they thought it was OK. Evidence of rape in a society or institution doesn't justify a rape culture, that that society and I use western society as a social norm. 

I'd like to take a moment to quote from the Oxford Reference again on social norm. 

Common standards within a social group regarding socially acceptable or appropriate behaviour in particular social situations, the breach of which has social consequences. - Oxford Reference online

Rape culture suggests that society is accepting of such behaviour which often leads to misinformation, hyperbole, hysteria and slanderous notions mostly aimed mostly towards males by neo-feminists and neo-feminist apologists. I think it's a harmful phrase because it's so broad and loosely defined across college campuses and it's perpetuating misconceptions about a large sections of society. If there is rape anywhere, I think it should be called out and punished but I think we must hold the individuals accountable for their actions and not put the blame and say that's it's a social norm and society is widely accepting of it. 

By all accounts, false accusations are a small (well under 10%) of all criminal accusations, and criminal accusations make up somewhere, best estimates, between 10% and 20% of actual incidents. It's an issue, but there are far bigger ones. None of this excuses the fact that senior figures in the judicial systems of many Western countries still hold the views that victims of sexual violence are at least in part victims of their own impropriety, naiveté or indecency.

With all due respect Sivi, I think you are whitewashing that statistic by minimizing it's importance. Especially since in the context of authorities scrutinizing alleged victims, especially if the accused is innocent and a public accusation can ruin their lives. We know there are grey areas in cases of rape were alleged victims wanted to withdraw consent after the fact because they regretted sleeping with person they slept with the night before. 

I know you are much smarter than this.  I'm not sure how there can be anonymity when you are being tried in a public court or when a student names an individual against another individual and they are expelled usually by a kangaroo court.  Rape cases are treated as guilty before proven innocent in college campuses. 

The issue with this narrative is that it excuses the actions of the perpetrator to some degree, which is patently ridiculous. There's a line between reminding people to remain aware of risks, and asking them to modify their behaviours in an (often misguided) attempt to dissuade criminal actions of others. If a pedestrian is hit and killed by a dangerous driver when legally crossing a road whilst intoxicated, we don't say "so yeah, the driver is really had but you really shouldn't be legally crossing the road if you've had a couple of beers". Suggesting people adjust their behaviour to mitigate the violent, criminal actions of others instead of addressing the root issue of their crimes is f*cking moronic.

I'm disappointed that you think it's f*cking moronic. I'm also willing to bet you still take various responsibilities and actions to avoid risk of coming to harm which would also make you hypocritical. The idea is deterrent, prevention rather than the cure. I doesn't excuse the actions because the perpetrator, if found guilty would be punished.

If I'm crossing the road legally and I have the green man to my aid, I still look left and right in case there's a drunk-driver, someone asleep at the wheel or someone just dangerously driving. I think we all do that because we accept that humans are not infallible. Like Eurtypro said earlier, we wont completely be able to eliminate rape or murder so we take precautions to reduce it or avoid it. 

It's not a matter of blaming the victim of rape for drinking the liter of vodka and wearing the short skirt and flirting with the men in the room, it's about preventing the scenario in which a rape is likely to happen. What were the mitigating circumstances? I think cruising through a march for Muslims wearing a tshirt of Muhammad and not expect to get a punch on the face is moronic. I can't claim afterwards that I have a right to express myself and that  they're solely to blame afterwards. That would be completely dishonest. 

I take measure not to go through certain areas at night as I may be mugged. If I got mugged and I would accept I was partly to blame given the information I had in my possession. But I wouldn't take it too personally upon myself. All people have to have a level of responsibility and accountability. 

When you are out with the women and they take their drink with them going to the bathroom. That's exercising responsibility because the disgusting reality is people spike drinks. Ignoring these practices because people shouldn't rape isn't going to reduce rape. It's not practical. So either people come up with a cure for rape or they take some responsibility to minimize the situations where rape may occur. 

• Eutyphro likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

I don't doubt sexual misconduct is prevalent in colleges.

Then, given the definition used, surely you're agreeing with me?

I would also say that the fact this persistently remains an issue speaks to education institutions failing to do enough to prevent it on campus.

So from anecdote?

Like I said, I'm not making a commentary on the frequency of these views, just on their mere existence. A single example is enough to demonstrate this. It's not really anecdote if it's a direct quote from, from the horse's mouth, as it were.

I  think labeling western society as having a rape culture is grossly exaggerated

The definition you cite refers to subgroups within society, rather than society as a while. Why are you arguing about "all" of Western society being rape culture when I've never argued in favour of that and, as far as I can determine, nor has anyone else?

Evidence of rape in a society or institution doesn't justify a rape culture.

This seems to contradict the definition you've just used.

With all due respect Sivi, I think you are whitewashing that statistic by minimizing it's importance.

I'm not minimising its importance, I'm questioning its relevance. And I continue to question it; the question of false accusations does not really bear much relevance to anything I've brought up.

I know you are much smarter than this.

It's fairly simple. The complainant and alleged perpetrator remain anonymous until such a point as someone either waives it or is convicted. Any disclosure of the third party is contempt of court. I can't speak for the behaviour of other institutions because they can, often arbitrarily, invent rules and regulations as they see fit. My comments were solely focused on the legal system which is the only bit you can really control.

I'm disappointed that you think it's f*cking moronic. I'm also willing to bet you still take various responsibilities and actions to avoid risk of coming to harm which would also make you hypocritical.

That's an individual, circumstantial and voluntary risk judgement, not something to be decreed. Different people have different risk perceptions and appetites; arbitrarily defining an "acceptable" level of individual risk above and beyond what's legally enshrined is patently ridiculous. I mean, from a practical perspective how do you even do that? What's the arbitrary point of drunkenness or shortness of skirt which becomes enticing for a prospective attacker? Do we encourage women to wear clogs just in case their prospective rapist is a foot fetishist? It doesn't even begin to make a coherent attitude.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:51 AM

Most cases I read about that spew this victim-blaming narrative which is usually about cases where most other people take due-diligence to reduce the chances of anything untoward happening them.

This is just completely absurd.

Statistics show that the brunt of the rapes are committed by acquaintances and family members of the victim.

What sort of due-diligence are they supposed to do?

It's not a matter of blaming the victim of rape for drinking the liter of vodka and wearing the short skirt and flirting with the men in the room, it's about preventing the scenario in which a rape is likely to happen. What were the mitigating circumstances? I think cruising through a march for Muslims wearing a tshirt of Muhammad and not expect to get a punch on the face is moronic. I can't claim afterwards that I have a right to express myself and that they're solely to blame afterwards. That would be completely dishonest.

In my home country, a woman was raped while waiting for a bus at 1am, coming home from university. People said she shouldn't be alone at night. 

When a rape happens, people (usually men) claim that the woman should have stayed at home. Or if she was at school, nothing would have happened. Or if she had been in church, nothing would have happened.

Well, a girl was raped in school hours in a school bathroom. A girl was raped at home by her step father. A girl was raped, and murdered, at church by the pastor. A girl was raped by 30 men after being put in a male prison cell for stealing food. 

What sort of f*cking precautions and due-diligence should they have taken? What you are doing here is literally blaming the victims for what happened to them, and giving a free pass to the rapist. Because he can't control himself, so the victim should take care not to get raped. 

That's rape culture. Boys will be boys, so whoops.

I take measure not to go through certain areas at night as I may be mugged. If I got mugged and I would accept I was partly to blame given the information I had in my possession. But I wouldn't take it too personally upon myself. All people have to have a level of responsibility and accountability.

You get mugged, you lose your cash, ID, whatever.

A girl is raped, she loses her innocence, her trust, her life, her future, her safety, her confidence. She is traumatized for life. How the hell are you equating that? You are literally saying women shouldn't take it too personally upon themselves if they get raped, because they have to have responsibility and accountability in order to prevent getting raped.

See? Your speech is about rape prevention. It's about the victim being more careful so she doesn't get raped.

Why isn't your speech "sh*t, we gotta stop rapists, we gotta teach them that is wrong; we gotta stop rapists from becoming rapists; we got to, as a society, show that rape is not condoned and the consequences are severe"? 

Then a white boy, who is on the swim team, rapes a girl, is caught on the spot and is merely given a slap on the wrist, people say "boys will be boys! she shouldn't have been drinking! it will ruin his future!".

What about her future? What about her trauma? He had the choice to not rape her; He chose to rape her. Yet he gets away scot free. How is that society "not condoning" rape?

Then a rich Mexican boy who, with a group of friends molest another teen at a party, are being let go free because "well he didn't even ejaculate! he derived no pleasure from the act! so technically it wasn't rape!".

Tell me again how society doesn't condone it?

It does. If you are rich, elite, have a "bright future" ahead of you, society will bend over backwards to allow you to rape anyone you want.

• blaze likes this

TheHolyNZF
  • TheHolyNZF

Prankster

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 4 weeks ago

I'd like to express my opinion.

From evolutionary perspect, everything expect hetero sexuality is bad.

On the other hand, our society needs some more love, so on that perspective it can't be bad.

But in my opinion your sexuality is just another thing amongst the others. It's not that big thing. Unless you are a dick about it. Like thinking you are somehow better than everyone else because you like other men, women, dead people, cats, dogs, pussy riots... You know what I mean.

Also I don't like forcefeeding pro-gay propaganda. Everyone should form their opinion theirselves.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Eutyphro, 4 weeks ago.

There's no issue with homosexuality from the perspective of evolution. It is just as problematic from the perspective of evolution as infertility, or abstinence. An example of something that can be considered damaging from the perspective of evolution is inbreeding. But generally evolution is just a scientific theory that doesn't have a strong ability to generate normative claims at all, hence why we don't euthanize people who we consider weak or undesirable.

• Tchuck likes this

TheHolyNZF
  • TheHolyNZF

Prankster

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 4 weeks ago

There's no issue with homosexuality from the perspective of evolution. It is just as problematic from the perspective of evolution as infertility, or abstinence. An example of something that can be considered damaging from the perspective of evolution is inbreeding. But generally evolution is just a scientific theory that doesn't have a strong ability to generate normative claims at all, hence why we don't euthanize people who we consider weak or undesirable.

evolution was wrong word, I know :p
But for the regeneration it is a bad thing. Well, except now when we have problems with overpopulation

PwnageSoldier
  • PwnageSoldier

General of Wolf Ops | CEO of Wolves Inc.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A day ago

Oh boy, I managed to find the wrong part of GTAF :lol:

OT: Personally always believed that there's only two genders, which is male or female, but way more attractions such as being heterosexual, homosexual, asexual (you aren't attracted to anyone), bisexual and so on. This is a pretty difficult topic but I personally know for sure there's only two genders. Sorry if you get #TrIgGeRrEd about this statement but it's my personal opinion and I have no reason to change it yet. That's my opinion on "Gender & Sexuality". Mic drop.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted A day ago

Sorry if you get #TrIgGeRrEd about this statement but it's my personal opinion and I have no reason to change it yet

That's wonderful and cute, but what do you actually have to support your belief apart from it being what you always believed? What do you have to support your disagreement with the academically-backed stance where "two genders" is bullsh*t?

...do you even know what gender refers to, in being a separate thing from sex (again, being the academically-backed consensus)?
  • DAWeeE1 likes this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted A day ago Edited by Eutyphro, A day ago.

What do you have to support your disagreement with the academically-backed stance where "two genders" is bullsh*t?

I understand your dislike for the stupidity of the comment you are responding to, but apart from that, could you enlighten me what other genders the academy has discovered apart from male or female?

...do you even know what gender refers to, in being a separate thing from sex (again, being the academically-backed consensus)?

You seem to think the postmodern ideologues are the genuine authority on this subject, even though in reality they produce nothing but pseudoscience and garbage ideology. If you want examples of the vast amount of garbage articles they write you can google @realpeerreview. The scientific consensus, or rather the scientific fact, is that gender and biological sex has a correlation of over 99%, so considering it 'seperate' by any means is completely absurd.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Vietnam

Posted A day ago

What do you have to support your disagreement with the academically-backed stance where "two genders" is bullsh*t?

The scientific consensus, or rather the scientific fact, is that gender and biological sex has a correlation of over 99%, so considering it 'seperate' by any means is completely absurd.

lol you've just pulled this straight out of your arse. 

• Tchuck and make total destroy like this

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

love or a garbage disposal unit

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted A day ago

The scientific consensus, or rather the scientific fact, is that gender and biological sex has a correlation of over 99%, so considering it 'seperate' by any means is completely absurd.

Tell that to a biologist sometime.

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

love or a garbage disposal unit

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted A day ago

I understand your dislike for the stupidity of the comment you are responding to, but apart from that, could you enlighten me what other genders the academy has discovered apart from male or female?

Are intersex people men or women?

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted A day ago

lol you've just pulled this straight out of your arse. 

So you think more than one in a hundred people feel like they are born with the wrong biological sex? It's far fewer than that.

Are intersex people men or women?

We were talking about gender, and not about biological sex right? Intersex people are an extremely rare occurrence where both male and female biological properties manifest themselves in one person. It is neither a third biological sex nor third gender though.

PwnageSoldier
  • PwnageSoldier

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 hours ago Edited by PwnageSoldier, 11 hours ago.

That's wonderful and cute, but what do you actually have to support your belief apart from it being what you always believed? What do you have to support your disagreement with the academically-backed stance where "two genders" is bullsh*t?

Gender refers to whether the person has the sexual objective of fertilising the egg or holding the egg and giving birth to the baby. It's not a hard subject to understand RD. Yet again, I have no proof of there being more than two genders so I still can't change my opinion. But then again, I'm not experienced in understanding much more than male and female in gender (not talking about sexuality here), so I may get things wrong. Forgive me, I'm just a living human being like the rest of you and everyone starts off with less knowledge than some others.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 10 hours ago Edited by Tchuck, 10 hours ago.

Gender refers to whether the person has the sexual objective of fertilising the egg or holding the egg and giving birth to the baby. 

Hm, no it doesn't.

You're describing sex. There's two sexual components in mammals: Male and Female. That's it. You're usually born with either of them, in rare occasions you get hermaphrodites but that's a whole other story.

At the core, there's male and female sex.

Genders are the social constructs build on top of those sexes, determining what each sex is supposed to act/look/do/dress etc. And then it is a spectrum, because defining what is feminine and what is masculine is pretty difficult since it is usually based on societal norms.

PwnageSoldier
  • PwnageSoldier

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 7 hours ago

Hm, no it doesn't.

You're describing sex. There's two sexual components in mammals: Male and Female. That's it. You're usually born with either of them, in rare occasions you get hermaphrodites but that's a whole other story.

At the core, there's male and female sex.

Genders are the social constructs build on top of those sexes, determining what each sex is supposed to act/look/do/dress etc. And then it is a spectrum, because defining what is feminine and what is masculine is pretty difficult since it is usually based on societal norms.

Hm. I guess I was wrong. It's nice to be wrong for once. Thanks for teaching me something new today.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users