Star Trek

209 replies to this topic
Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

^ Heh - I was waiting for the "My name... is... Khan..." line from that movie to get followed up by a pause, and then Chris Pine responding with "...who?" :p

And yeah, for me, things like 'In the Pale Moonlight' represent some of the things Trek can do better than any other. It's not necessarily about flying around in spaceships, or anything overtly sci-fi - but instead, it uses the freedom of a futuristic fictional setting to create the framework for a powerful story on morality. Sci-fi as both speculative fiction, and as a rhetorical device - see also: the 'visceral/logical/judgmental' decision-making 'triangle' of McCoy, Spock and Kirk in the original.

Particularly considering how Trek at it's best used that to comment on pertinent real-world issues - because hoo-boy, if there were ever a time we needed a show to come along and do that again...  :blink:  To just tell 'space adventure stories' now? For Trek, that's practically dereliction of duty - !

• Melchior and AlienTwo like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
  • Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:20 PM

Bah, how did I miss "In the Pale Moonlight"?  Now I'm thinking "Paper Moon" and "Far Beyond the Stars" too... such amazing storytelling there.

And yeah, "Khan..."

Kirk: "oookay... should I ... know that name or something? I thought it was John..."

But to be honest, I enjoy that movie the more I watch it.  Very disappointed the first time, but it's growing on me.  

• Payne Killer likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

51 years ago today Star Trek first warped into the lives of Humanity.  Happy Star Trek Day, Live Long, Prosper and IDIC!!

Discovery_zpseiw3ebqg.gif

animation5.gif

giphy-19.gif

AAC.gif

tumblr_mvtszojLJU1rzu2xzo3_r1_500.gif

v6Vbz-.gif

Discovery_zpseiw3ebqg.gif

• FrikkenZz, acmilano, Ivan1997GTA and 2 others like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:14 PM

We've got a taste of the theme now;

I'm all in.

acmilano
  • acmilano

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:52 AM

This would be interesting if that happens. Tarantino making Star Trek movie? Count me in!

• AlienTwo and Ivan1997GTA like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

I'm always happy when public figures I respect state they like Trek more than other properties, but I'm not sure his directing style could really mesh with the values and vision of Star Trek.... if he could keep the violence and language at normal Trek levels, possibly, but does he have the restraint?  

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

Everyone's favorite Uncle, but not Led-By.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

I have now sat and watched the first two Discovery episodes on Netflix....

I'll admit one thing, I am intrigued at how they've rebooted the franchise. I am not spoiling anything, but the tale is more a prequel and it's good, with probably the best battle since DS9! (That is impressive). The characters are all interesting and the background and setting for the main lead is pretty troubled. All very chaotic, but setting the scene for what is to come. (The trailers all lead on these two episodes, we have no clue what is to come.)

It's looking promising, but I'll wait on a few more episodes to make a more through judgement.

One thing it does suggest, the need for more films is done. This new direction could reboot the TV series again and that can only be a good thing.
  • AlienTwo and Ivan1997GTA like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

I was pretty damned happy with the show.  I do wish they made it a 2 hour premier and showed us episode 3 though, I feel that might have been a bit more satisfying, as I aso wish they would put more on TV in the US to help drive more fans to their app.  But I was very happy.  The trailers made it look like there was going to be a ton of action (not a good thing) but after watching the 2 episodes I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of pondering and Trek-ness that was present.

Another happy surprise was Saru, who by his sole trailer line "My species is predetermined to sense death... i sense it now" I was expecting to be a dull and depressing method of exposition, but I ended up loving Doug Jones's portrayal and the fun back-and-forth between him and Burnham.

Spoiler

Some fun easter eggs from Captain Georgiou's ready room;

DKien2qUEAARu6-.jpg

21576872_282268158924872_776261874569602

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

So I decided to settle in, prompt and ready an 8:30 pm to watch the brand new CBS series Star Trek: All Access. The first new TV Trek in ages, looking forward to it. Click on the CBS station and OH MY GAWD! The most hideous Klingon I had ever seen. They really did go overboard with the SFX. The rancid beast was berating a poor Starfleet Officer.

KILL IT!

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

But it turned out to be Oprah Winfrey dressing down some poor guy for no apparent reason because the Football game ran too long and bumped the Pilot episode. That's ok though, even though my DVR is full I'll catch it on a repeat. What's that? It won't be repeated on TV again?

EVER??

All to sell a streaming service? Fk em'. Fk em with a bag of rotten dildos. This may have been a neat concept, but with Fuller gone, it looks like a bunch of crap. Like a bunch of people who get the surface level stuff, but not why Trek is an important TV Sci-Fi show. "Hey if we throw in a transporter and a couple Vulcans it's all good", and call it a day.

I was hoping for an evolution with the times, like how TNG evolved from the 60's to the 90's. It seems like the producers wanted to take a show like Breaking Bad or game of Thrones and place it in the Star Trek universe. I'm not against sterilization, DS9 did just fine. But lifting entire themes from one show and placing it in a show like Star Trek is just bonkers. Having GoT in Star trek doesn't make Star Trek any better, it makes it Game of Thrones...In Space!

A2 I hope it's money well spent and that you enjoy the show. It's just not my bag, but feel free to share the log-in :p

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:03 PM

Honestly, I DO get the feeling these folks know Star Trek.  I think we'll get to more of this meat and potatoes come episode 3 when we actually get to see the Discovery, but as I've stated before, I am not a fan of the CBS All Access app, for some of the very same reasons you are complaining about.

That said, we Trekkies aren't of one mind.  So (even though you obviously don't need my "permission" to like or dislike something) no one has to like this.  Maybe it'll grow like a fungus on you or some other fans, like DS9 did for me, or maybe it'll Kelvin it's way into the eternal red-headed-step-child of the Trek series.  I just hope that it makes enough money for a new Trek that takes place post-Nemesis to be created.  

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:40 PM

Bryan Fuller knew what he was doing, yes. Alex Kurtzman is a hack. If you think that the Kelvin timeline was just too weird, thank Kurtzman. And now he's in-charge rather than Fuller.

The Pilot episode was...ok-ish...I guess. Damning with faint praise I suppose. At this point it's not even about the show for me, but the way it was handled. If they wanted an r-rated trek, that's fine. But don't use trek to sell your new streaming platform. I just feel like fans were taken advantage of, and I'm not liking it. I DO hope the show does well, and DO like your idea about a post-nemesis, I just don't want the putzes who created this mess to succeed.

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:57 PM

Kurtzman being left in charge - and with Akiva Goldsman (he of 'Batman Forever' and 'Batman & Robin' fame) handling some of the writing duties - really isn't a great way of putting my mind at ease, for starters...

Haven't been able to watch it yet (because I have no access to CBS All Access... :beerhat:), but even the positive/pleasantly-surprised reviews from a lot of my go-to pundits have me concerned. It's all too similar to the Abrams movies in terms of glib disregard for, well, logic and military protocol, in a 'I'm not nit-picking Trek minutiae - this is simply Things To Avoid In Your Teleplay 101' way. On paper, and as cast (and from all accounts, as performed), Michael Burnham should be a really novel, compelling character, but all I've seen/heard feels like the same functional role as Chris Pine in the two Abrams movies.

And more fundamentally, it goes back to what I've said before: you can do all kinds of things with Trek, but for my money, one of the defining structural 'must-dos' of ANY Trek show (not so much the movies, because they can't - and that's the problem with just doing Trek as conventional narratives on film...) is the 'different characters as rhetorical devices for the issue of the day' approach*. If Discovery is going to take us on a journey with Burnham, with everyone else as supporting players in her story, then ...Discovery isn't really doing that, is it?  :/

*meanwhile, The Orville just did a pretty decent example of that kind of framing - but again, on paper, at least. In practice? Well, congratulations, Seth - you've managed to get the TNG feel down so authentically, that you actually managed to do a contemporary spin on The Outcast, right down to undercutting the point of the story and fudging the issue in a very similar way to that episode! :sigh:

Spadge
  • Spadge

Hoochie Coochie Man

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:31 AM Edited by Spadge, 28 September 2017 - 10:36 AM.

I really liked the Next Generation movies, cast and series, but these new movies were also pretty cool, even though they failed to recapture the star trek philosophy and feel I had fun with 'em they're great summer blockbusters.

As for discovery, I haven't watched it yet.
  • AlienTwo likes this

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

Bryan Fuller knew what he was doing, yes. Alex Kurtzman is a hack. If you think that the Kelvin timeline was just too weird, thank Kurtzman. And now he's in-charge rather than Fuller.

The Pilot episode was...ok-ish...I guess. Damning with faint praise I suppose. At this point it's not even about the show for me, but the way it was handled. If they wanted an r-rated trek, that's fine. But don't use trek to sell your new streaming platform. I just feel like fans were taken advantage of, and I'm not liking it. I DO hope the show does well, and DO like your idea about a post-nemesis, I just don't want the putzes who created this mess to succeed.

i feel the same way of the show, visually it was good, the klingons looked super cheesy and not a big fan of the cast from what i saw in the first episode. so this show will not be on cbs? but only on cbs streaming service? no thanks then

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:06 PM

Happy 30th to Star Trek TNG!

sttng_bg.jpg

BTW, Discovery is totally worth the $5.99/mo, especially as if you do it on Monday, you can get 4 free episodes before the free week is up.  That doesn't mean I think CBS All Access is a good method, I've mentioned how I'm against it, but it is worth it for good TV Sci-Fi.

I hope you give it a shot, this show does feel Star Trek in ways the Kelvin movies never did.

• Spaghetti Cat, Commander S and Uncle Sikee Atric like this

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

Everyone's favorite Uncle, but not Led-By.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

Only reason I watched Discovery on Netflix is because the subscription costs are included on my landline, TV and internet bill. I wouldn't have the service otherwise....

Either way, the show is worth watching and yeah, they've done too much with the Klingons, the gear looks far too excessive.
  • AlienTwo likes this

Saggy
  • Saggy

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:14 PM

I was really unimpressed with the debut. I mean, I don't want to catalog every complaint because it would just seem like I'm ripping on it, but they basically tried to include every modern action-move cliche that is possible.  The kling-ons speaking kling-on all the time is going to get really old, really fast, and I'm sure there's plenty of other complaints people could have of them.  They basically look like space Egyptians now.

I just don't know what the point of making a show like this and calling it Star Trek is.  It doesn't feel like a Star Trek at all, and what storyline is it even following? The stupid ass movie reboots?

Also, I thought the captain having an accent was kind of weird, especially for a future where nation-states have dissolved and we're all supposedly united as one world. So it makes you wonder if people should actually still have accents in that kind of future if they're all speaking the same language. Obviously the easy excuse would to say she lived in a traditionalist society and it is some kind of cultural artifact, but I don't know... Kinda seems like an oversight.

Anyway, it really doesn't feel like a Star Trek to me, but a new general sci-fi show.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

So in the future Chinese people are supposed to be speaking English?  

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:45 PM Edited by Commander S, 29 September 2017 - 06:51 PM.

Credit where it's due: I actually really rather liked when Broken Bow had Klaang (lol - that name...) speak in untranslated, unsubtitled Klingon - and Hoshi was having to not so much translate it as decypher it on the fly...

(really wish Enterprise had been a little less eager to sweep all that under the rug, in the rush to get into the tried-and-tested Berman-era groove - all that 'this is new and we're figuring it out as we go' should have been one of the ongoing quirks of the show, at least for the first season)

As for human accents, one word: Chekhov. Or O'Brien. Or Bashir. Or the Rozhenkos. Or the really curious case of the RP-accented French captain... :p  In any case, humanity still having regional accents certainly isn't a new thing.

Saggy
  • Saggy

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:54 AM

Credit where it's due: I actually really rather liked when Broken Bow had Klaang (lol - that name...) speak in untranslated, unsubtitled Klingon - and Hoshi was having to not so much translate it as decypher it on the fly...

(really wish Enterprise had been a little less eager to sweep all that under the rug, in the rush to get into the tried-and-tested Berman-era groove - all that 'this is new and we're figuring it out as we go' should have been one of the ongoing quirks of the show, at least for the first season)

As for human accents, one word: Chekhov. Or O'Brien. Or Bashir. Or the Rozhenkos. Or the really curious case of the RP-accented French captain... :p  In any case, humanity still having regional accents certainly isn't a new thing.

Yeah it made me think of Klaang for sure, but I thought it was better done in Enterprise. Like I don't know if maybe the costumes made it hard to talk, but it seemed really labored. I don't know klingon to say it wasn't fluent, but it just didn't sound as smooth as when they did it in past series, and I just thought it was because they overdid it.  Like the long oratory monologues just gave it more "stage time" for the presentation to wane in gracefulness.

That's more than one word! lol But yeah I forgot about those guys. I don't know why the new captain's caught me so off guard then.  Maybe I'm just slightly Asian-ist on the inside, but it just stuck out more to me.  Never even considered the other character's accents, but now that you point it out I'm kind of wondering how realistic that is of Star Trek as a whole and not just this series. Languages aren't really known to survive cultural shifts. But given that Mandarin is spoken by a few billion more people than English I suppose it's kind of unrealistic they're speaking English at all.  I'm nitpicking.

AlienTwo, sorry I don't like the show as much as you do.  It just has drastically different production values and direction and as much as I don't like it when people just don't like change, I was really hoping for more of a Berman-era style.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

You can like it as much or as little as you wish, but I was curious about you're "future people shouldn't have accents" comment. Now I'm also curious about your "I don't like it when people don't like change" comment followed by "i want Star Trek to never change" one.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:25 PM

I really despise that Scotty, who does he think he is talking with that accent, a Scotsman?!?

BTW wasn't the chinese and indians wiped out in the trek universe with atomic weapons, just sayin'
  • AlienTwo likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

I like Welshy better.

Saggy
  • Saggy

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:59 AM

Now I'm also curious about your "I don't like it when people don't like change" comment followed by "i want Star Trek to never change" one.

Huh? You might wanna wash your hands after pulling that out of your ass.

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:40 AM

That's more than one word! lol But yeah I forgot about those guys. I don't know why the new captain's caught me so off guard then.  Maybe I'm just slightly Asian-ist on the inside, but it just stuck out more to me.  Never even considered the other character's accents, but now that you point it out I'm kind of wondering how realistic that is of Star Trek as a whole and not just this series. Languages aren't really known to survive cultural shifts. But given that Mandarin is spoken by a few billion more people than English I suppose it's kind of unrealistic they're speaking English at all.  I'm nitpicking.

Plot twist: characters like Sergey Rozhenko or Philippa Georgiou are actually speaking their first language, but because of the Universal Translator, it just ends up sounding like accented English. :p

(probably works in reverse, too - imagine Chekov hearing everyone speaking in oddly-accented Russian, for example...)

But 'no-prize' explanations aside, it's like a microcosm of a lot of Federation Earth culture - the standardised, universal stuff has been quite thoroughly Anglicised/Americanised (U.S.S. prefixes, for one), but at the same time it's not like regional cultural details have been erased in the process (see the wedding of Miles and Keiko O'Brien, which combined a mix of Irish and Japanese traditions).

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:40 AM Edited by AlienTwo, 01 October 2017 - 09:41 AM.

Now I'm also curious about your "I don't like it when people don't like change" comment followed by "i want Star Trek to never change" one.

Huh? You might wanna wash your hands after pulling that out of your ass.
"as much as I don't like it when people just don't like change, I was really hoping for more of a Berman-era style."

Because you need a refresher on what you typed.

All that Berman era stuff is still there, untouched.

acmilano
  • acmilano

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

I really despise that Scotty, who does he think he is talking with that accent, a Scotsman?!?

BTW wasn't the chinese and indians wiped out in the trek universe with atomic weapons, just sayin'

Wait,where was that mentioned? From what I remember it was mentioned in canon that in ST universe during WW3 died 600 million people on whole planet. And both those countries have over 1 billion people each and numerous diaspora around the world. So it would be impossible they all dissapear. And in First Contact moviepeople in Montana were still afraid of Eastern Coalition so they were probably still existing after the WW3.

http://memory-alpha....i/World_War_III

http://memory-beta.w...i/World_War_III

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:35 PM

While I definitely like the idea of a series that's just a straightforward return to the same setting as classic Treks (at whatever period in time - before, adjacent, after, etc.), rather than a functionally-ground-up-re-imagining that pays lip-service to all that, I'd say there's a difference between, say, 'a series that takes place after TNG/DS9/Voyager', and 'the Rick Berman era'.

Mainly because I think it's fair to say that a lot of the blame for why that era of Trek fizzled out can be placed squarely at Berman's feet.

For example, this was the person who insisted that on Voyager, the actors playing human characters needed to play their roles with restraint, in order to 'make the alien characters seem more alien'. But at the same time, alien design got more and more muted and bland, to the point where 'people with a bit of latex on their forehead, wearing brown/grey overalls' has become a running gag when people talk about aliens-of-the-week on the likes of Voyager and Enterprise.

Or how on Enterprise, the ship was supposed to be gleaming off-white, similar to the original 1701 - but Berman wanted the ship to be more muted and understated (winding up almost gunmetal in colour), and with rather conservative lighting, supposedly so that the ship 'didn't take the focus away from the characters'. Except we already know Berman's philosophy on characters - and the same 'muted colours, muted lighting' approach was also applied to the interior sets, costumes, etc. :turn:

Spoiler

...oh, and this was the person who, right after the great Ron Jones won an award for his work on The Best of Both Worlds, decided to let him go because (and I quote!) "he was doing the kind of scoring that was calling attention to itself."  :blink:

I think it's not unreasonable to instead give credit for the successes of the 'Berman era' to folks like Michael Piller, Ron Moore, Ira Behr, etc., who were much more responsible for some of the positive directional shifts that gave us some of that period's greatest hits (the big one being Piller and Moore coming on board TNG with Season 3 - and most people agree that Season 3 marked the point where TNG became 'TNG', with many of the cast attributing that to Piller).

Frankly, reading things like Piller's unpublished memoir 'Fade In', interviews with the likes of Moore and design team vets like Drexler and Rich Sternbach, and generally all the frustrations of people working on the shows under Berman (much less so DS9, since he was largely hands-off from the time Voyager began - and it sure shows, doesn't it? :p), makes me wonder what we could have, if someone just rounded up all those folks, and let them make the kind of bold, imaginative Trek show that they were trying to make, but for the likes of Berman stifling them. Imagine a Trek run by any combination of Behr, Moore, René Echevarria, ...Bryan Fuller, David Eick, Jane Espensen, Tim Minear - maybe folks who'd clearly be a good fit, like Simon Pegg and Seth MacFarlane, too. Get the likes of Drexler, Sternbach, the Okudas, etc. back on board, and just take all the 'Berman era' shackles off - don't get me started...!!  :rah:

...but eh, to borrow from another classic sci-fi TV show: "if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak". :sigh:

• AlienTwo likes this

Saggy
  • Saggy

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

While I definitely like the idea of a series that's just a straightforward return to the same setting as classic Treks (at whatever period in time - before, adjacent, after, etc.), rather than a functionally-ground-up-re-imagining that pays lip-service to all that, I'd say there's a difference between, say, 'a series that takes place after TNG/DS9/Voyager', and 'the Rick Berman era'.

Mainly because I think it's fair to say that a lot of the blame for why that era of Trek fizzled out can be placed squarely at Berman's feet.

For example, this was the person who insisted that on Voyager, the actors playing human characters needed to play their roles with restraint, in order to 'make the alien characters seem more alien'. But at the same time, alien design got more and more muted and bland, to the point where 'people with a bit of latex on their forehead, wearing brown/grey overalls' has become a running gag when people talk about aliens-of-the-week on the likes of Voyager and Enterprise.

Or how on Enterprise, the ship was supposed to be gleaming off-white, similar to the original 1701 - but Berman wanted the ship to be more muted and understated (winding up almost gunmetal in colour), and with rather conservative lighting, supposedly so that the ship 'didn't take the focus away from the characters'. Except we already know Berman's philosophy on characters - and the same 'muted colours, muted lighting' approach was also applied to the interior sets, costumes, etc. :turn:

Spoiler

...oh, and this was the person who, right after the great Ron Jones won an award for his work on The Best of Both Worlds, decided to let him go because (and I quote!) "he was doing the kind of scoring that was calling attention to itself."  :blink:

I think it's not unreasonable to instead give credit for the successes of the 'Berman era' to folks like Michael Piller, Ron Moore, Ira Behr, etc., who were much more responsible for some of the positive directional shifts that gave us some of that period's greatest hits (the big one being Piller and Moore coming on board TNG with Season 3 - and most people agree that Season 3 marked the point where TNG became 'TNG', with many of the cast attributing that to Piller).

Frankly, reading things like Piller's unpublished memoir 'Fade In', interviews with the likes of Moore and design team vets like Drexler and Rich Sternbach, and generally all the frustrations of people working on the shows under Berman (much less so DS9, since he was largely hands-off from the time Voyager began - and it sure shows, doesn't it? :p), makes me wonder what we could have, if someone just rounded up all those folks, and let them make the kind of bold, imaginative Trek show that they were trying to make, but for the likes of Berman stifling them. Imagine a Trek run by any combination of Behr, Moore, René Echevarria, ...Bryan Fuller, David Eick, Jane Espensen, Tim Minear - maybe folks who'd clearly be a good fit, like Simon Pegg and Seth MacFarlane, too. Get the likes of Drexler, Sternbach, the Okudas, etc. back on board, and just take all the 'Berman era' shackles off - don't get me started...!!  :rah:

...but eh, to borrow from another classic sci-fi TV show: "if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak". :sigh:

What a coincidence, DS9 is my least favored of the franchise, not including the original series.  I'm pretty neutral on the original series, haven't really watched it.

AlienTwo, how does wanting it to be more derivative of the actual franchise it's trying to be a part of translate to "never wanting it to change"?  If you changed the name of the Klingons or Starfleet or anything like that in the current rendition of things, it would just feel like some random sci-fi show.  The only thing "Star Trek" about it is the name. At least a little similarity would be nice, this is like a 180 degree polarization.  Most of it so far has borrowed from tired action-movie tropes.  Like wow, a person commits a crime and instead of being sent to a prison, they're sent into some clandestine service...  Never heard of that one before!

Besides that, I think this over-exerted effort to make this series seem grittier and darker than Star Treks before it might be betraying what makes Star Trek unique to other science fiction shows. There's a certain element of Star Trek being a "feel good" TV show that I don't see having much room to exist in this incarnation. In previous Star Treks there's always been this underlying notion that people's pasts don't define their present character (Tom Paris, Belona Torres, for a couple examples ) and it appeals to the idea that people are good and will aspire to do the right thing.  With this you get the distinct feeling that there is no certainty that Star Fleet is on the moral high ground, or that there really is any avenue for the character to redeem themselves in what's basically a war.  Again not to sound overly critical, but resting on the theater of war to point out human and moral conflicts is played out too.

Anyway, it's entertaining enough to keep watching, but I really don't see it living up to its predecessors.  I feel like they're trying too much to appeal to as broad a demographic as possible and avoid that "fizzling" out past series had by making it more derivative of recent sci-fi/action fiction. I think they could have invested less in the effects and visual direction and more into writing and plot.

• AlienTwo likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

Besides that, I think this over-exerted effort to make this series seem grittier and darker than Star Treks before it might be betraying what makes Star Trek unique to other science fiction shows. There's a certain element of Star Trek being a "feel good" TV show that I don't see having much room to exist in this incarnation. In previous Star Treks there's always been this underlying notion that people's pasts don't define their present character (Tom Paris, Belona Torres, for a couple examples ) and it appeals to the idea that people are good and will aspire to do the right thing.  With this you get the distinct feeling that there is no certainty that Star Fleet is on the moral high ground, or that there really is any avenue for the character to redeem themselves in what's basically a war.  Again not to sound overly critical, but resting on the theater of war to point out human and moral conflicts is played out too.

I do understand this fear, or concern rather, but I hope (and think) that we will see that hope and optimism isn't something that we need cheery lighting and warm, neutral color pallets for.  My opinion after 3 episodes isn't super-well informed, but I'm on board.  If this show goes south, I'm willing to admit it and to call it for what it is, but I still have hope that we're seeing a new way to present the same message, one that is more in-line with all the other shows that it's competing against, as that one of the main reasons for the changes, so it can be a competitive product.  

"Context is for Kings" feels a lot more like a standard Trek episode, it has a beginning, middle and an end and they solve a problem.  They answered a bunch of questions, used most of the released clips, and still planted even more deeper mysteries to explore over the next months.  I think meeting Lorca, Stamets, Landry and Tilly is really coming home for the first time, in a lot of ways this was the "true" pilot as the other 2 episodes were more like prequels, background info that you don't necessarily need to be a prime witness too (however entertaining that witnessing was).  

The more I watch the more I do honestly wish this had been set possibly 100 years after Nemesis. They wouldn't need any changes, the new uniforms, tech and ships would just be accepted and the Klingons could have gone into isolation for the last hundred years.  But this isn't what CBS gave us, and i can only hope that with the success of Discovery we get more opportunities to explore different timelines for Star Trek.  

• Saggy likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users