Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

@RogerWho - I agree with a bit of what you are saying, but the way the actors bring the characters to life is something amazing it itself. They took "iconic" characters that everyone knows, love or hate, and made them Iconic.  Now being played so brilliantly by more than one person, these roles are larger than the actors and more like the Greek mythos, something I appreciate greatly.

And I agree with Indy007, this was the best of the new three, and even though it alters Trek mythology, the Trek we all love is still there on Netflix, DVD and BluRay, I'm happy for the new blood and money that made "Discovery" a possibility.  

I'm honestly a bit pissed as to why it has been delayed from Jan 1st to May, but I do understand the reasoning. They didn't even start filming nor get all the crew until this month, so it would have been a bit unrealistic to release the show in Jan. Even before they changed the release date things weren't off the ground and it would have been pretty far fetched to start filming so close to the deadline.

At the same time...I just hope the hype will still be there.

My optimistic guess is that Bryan Fuller knew ahead of time he couldn't work in the winter/spring on this and had to have it completed by then, which is why they were originally targeting January, and when it because painfully obvious they couldn't come close to hitting this deadline, Fuller had to pass and the show got back on a normal schedule.  It sounds like he's still in contact and if, god willing, there is a season 2, he would be open to working on that.

• Indy007 likes this

Flash525
  • Flash525

Fibre Force Team Leader

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:37 AM

Anyone know whether they've redesigned that god awful ship yet?

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
  • Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2016
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:03 PM

The video doesn't make it look that way.  But we have pics of Klingons, and a rumored start date "September-ish."

Hype video:

The new-new-new Klingons;

Spoiler

"September-ish:"

https://moviepilot.c...se-date/4212526

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

They have increased the goals for the DS9 documentary, "What we leave behind" and are even considering an HD re-master of the series after once stating it's impossible!  If you want in on the indiegogo page and awesome perks, check the link below.... 

https://www.indiegog...pace-nine-doc#/

Flash525
  • Flash525

Fibre Force Team Leader

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

They have increased the goals for the DS9 documentary, "What we leave behind" and are even considering an HD re-master of the series after once stating it's impossible!  If you want in on the indiegogo page and awesome perks, check the link below.... 

https://www.indiegog...pace-nine-doc#/

About time DS9 was remastered. Some of those space battles would look epic with todays technology.

The video doesn't make it look that way.  But we have pics of Klingons, and a rumored start date "September-ish."

Hype video:

The new-new-new Klingons;

Spoiler

"September-ish:"

https://moviepilot.c...se-date/4212526

Is it confirmed they're Klingons? They look like it, sure, even wearing arguably Klingon armour, but I thought that rumour was discredited?

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:10 PM Edited by AlienTwo, 01 March 2017 - 06:11 PM.

Oh no, the rumor was NOT discredited.  It's straight from an actor playing Klingons... in fact, I was contacted by a Trek official when I tweeted the picture;

"Would you mind deleting the pic from the set of Discovery? It hasn't spread too much yet, and obviously this was not the way it was meant to be revealed. Not your fault anyway in the slightest - and it's natural to say "Holy sh*t!" and retweet it, but if you wouldn't mind nixing it, it would make a lot of people happier."

"And don't feel bad for posting that image -- absolutely natural response......that actor who took the pic, tho, holy crap he's in trouble. He signed a stack of legal papers saying specifically not to do what he did. Some people are real dunces."

I call that confirmed.  

As to DS9, it's not for sure they'll do the remaster, due to the technology used in the 90's they'd have to take the raw, unmastered, without effects or editing, film and basically re-do each episode.  They did this for TNG but no-one really bought it and the studio lost money, so they released a statement saying we shouldn't expect an HD of Voyager or DS9.  The interest in the doc though has made it a possibility though, super exciting news.

If anyone wants a cool Trek podcast, here's a great one, "Engage: The Official Star Trek Podcast"

http://www.startrek.com/podcasts

Flash525
  • Flash525

Fibre Force Team Leader

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

Well that settles it then; they are Klingons (though they don't really look very scary there).

Unlike TNG, I think DS9 would benefit more simply for the space fights, though it would of course require people to actually buy the remastered product, and with piracy on the rise...

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

Well that settles it then; they are Klingons (though they don't really look very scary there).

Unlike TNG, I think DS9 would benefit more simply for the space fights, though it would of course require people to actually buy the remastered product, and with piracy on the rise...

For me that was the issue... I bought the TNG teaser with Encounter at Farpoint and Best of Both Worlds re-mastered, then season 1, 2, & 3, but by then they were getting put out on netflix, I mean the HD versions, so ... yeah, I stopped buying them.  If they kept DS9 off CBS all access or netflix (the remasterd....) I think it might sell better.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 3 weeks ago

More casting news... kind of troubling, I was hoping they would be farther along on the production schedule.

http://www.cbs.com/s...its-more-stars/

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted A week ago

It's heeeeere!! The first Discovery Trailer!

• Payne Killer likes this

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted A week ago

*Coming in 2023 (maybe)  

• Flash525 likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted A week ago

A little Yridian told me September.

Flash525
  • Flash525

Fibre Force Team Leader

• Members
  • England

Posted 6 days ago

Definitely has a JJverse vibe, wish we'd have got a better look at the Discovery design; I'm eager to see which of the two known designs they ultimately went with - hopefully the wireframe version. Don't understand why they needed to redesign the Klingons either, and a little uniform consistency wouldn't have gone amiss. There's so many reasons here why they should have just gone with a reboot rather than a direct prequel to the prime timeline. I'd like to know which moron decided not to set this in an entirely new universe, cause it really does need it; at least then you can look at it as something fresh, rather than wondering why everything looks different.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 6 days ago

Did they rob the Last Jedi's wardrobe department for Rey and Luke's costumes?

8uEpCIZ.jpg
  • AlienTwo likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 6 days ago Edited by AlienTwo, 6 days ago.

Yeah, I don't think we saw even one shot of the Discovery, that ship looks like the Shenzhou. From what I've heard, the final Discovery is pretty different from that one in the first animation.... but that's just from a guy who claims he knows sh*t.  But I get more of a prime feeling from this than Kelvin, ship design and alien design at least, the lense flair kind of does harken back, but it's ok.  Looks cool, in my opinion.

As to the Klingons, they have been changed so many times for so many generations that I really don't see the issue with this.  Also, I see what I count as 3, maybe 4, different types of Klingons, judging by outfits., and I think the ones most prominently figured are some "Ancient" sort, possible in a flashback or some crazy religious ceremony (hence the sarcophagus and the brief appearance of some insect like creature which seems to be could be the Hur'q - who are the ancient race that invaded and plundered Qo'noS, causing the Klingons to become the warriors we know today).  Plus, I think we need to add more dimentions to the Klingons, TV/Movies culture has gotten more astute and we need a more multi-dimensional feel to the Klingons now.  I'm excited as I can be, loving it all.

That picture does look like something out of Jakku, but the clip kind of takes that away a bit.  I think it'll feel unique, trek-like and modern.  I'd rather see this in the prime universe, just kinda ignoring a lot of the already unwieldy lore and making it's own pace.  

Religious/Ancient Klingon:

landscape-1495059012-star-trek-discovery

3 More "Warrior-Like" Klingons:

gallery-1495057279-star-trek-discovery2.

Possible Hur'q:

18519547_1777251438968530_39486560871118

Plus, I really dig this new ship... looks like a natural extension of the NX design:

star-trek--discovery---first-look-traile

• Payne Killer likes this

Commander S
  • Commander S

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 6 days ago

Must admit, I'm a bit disappointed (if not entirely surprised) by the 'let's reinvent all this for the sake of reinventing it - screw any attempt to actually make this look like a decade prior to TOS' look of everything.  :/  The Klingons feel like a mix of Xindi and Abramsverse Klingons, and if you'd told me that they were in something like a Defiance revival, or the antagonists in a Mass Effect Andromeda DLC pack, I'd have probably found that more believable.

And it's not like I don't think the team should have gone for absolute adherence to TOS - if anything, I reckon it was a perfect opportunity to hand-waive a few of the accumulated discrepancies over the years (not in a 'Klingon Augments' way, but in a 'Enterprise Andorians redesign' way), and create a modern update of the TOS-era style, with all the benefits of contemporary VFX and materials. As it is, I almost reckon that if they'd just decided that the Klingons were new aliens altogether, and set it after the TNG era, they could have done exactly the same as what we've seen, and given themselves a lot more leeway when it comes to not treading on the toes of previous Treks. Maybe even the same kind of time-jump as with TNG - shove things forward the best part of a century, and then there's also room to fill in the intervening years as needed (bit like what Star Trek Online did, too - only with more wiggle-room).

...that, or maybe Alex Kurtzman just wants to stick with 'his' established version of Trek - in which case, just make this an Abramsverse series, and have done. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for that ship, yeah, that's probably the Shenzhou - and it does look like an evolution of the NX. Helps that it's a John Eaves design - the nacelle shapes and other 'knife-like' design elements are pretty typical of his style (to the point that it looks a lot like an original thing he came up with for a fan several years back):

tumblr_okoqz53ql01rzu2xzo1_500.gif

mawson-color.jpg

• AlienTwo likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users