Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:55 PM

I'm hoping it was laziness on the part of the creators of the press release and that their "little tweaks" are going to completely redesign this.  And I too was trying to read into the registry, but again, we're assuming that they are getting this ship brand new which only happened with Voyager, ENT and TNG, not DS9 or TOS.  Also they have NEVER been good at chronology in the franchise.  

Commander S
  • Commander S

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:23 PM Edited by Commander S, 25 July 2016 - 10:45 PM.

Spoiler

...well, just did a lot of digging around for interviews, and Bryan Fuller has categorically shut down the idea of this being a 'post-TMP, pre-TNG' show (which, conveniently, makes pretty much all of what I just wrote utterly moot... :sui:). Hmm - does that mean this is actually a pre-TOS show, then? In which case, I'm even more leery about how appropriate the Discovery's design is, personally - if they wanted to go for a more suitable style for a 'pre-Constitution-class' ship, I reckon something more like the fan-designed 'Lancaster-class' would make for a better fit, personally:

cRr7NjC.png

Looks similar enough to the classic Enterprise (particularly in a way to immediately say 'Star Trek' to most audiences), yet with enough simplified details and additional tweaks to look distinctive and 'older', seeing as it needs to stand alone as a new lead ship, and be obviously an earlier class than the Constitution. Again, we'll have to wait and see as more details come out...

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
  • Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2016
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:34 PM

There is a pretty strong connection between this ship and the USS Franklin from Beyond.  But this looks more like a predecessor of that ship, and I don't understand how the timeline would work if they went that way.  Unless this is an old, old ship and that's part of the charm of this new series.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:39 PM

USS Franklin image below, just for those who haven't seen the film and don't want to google it as to avoid spoilers (I promise, seeing the ship isn't a spoiler)

franklin-poster.jpg

And thanks for changing the name of the thread.

Commander S
  • Commander S

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:55 PM

USS Franlin almost looks more like a blend between the NX from Enterprise, general design cues from the Abrams movie ships (the blue nacelle tips, the bridge viewscreen being a big window, etc.), and even TOS-style details. IIRC, it's supposed to be a pre-Federation Earth Starfleet design, correct? It's kinda workable in that regard - I still find the new movie ships that are supposed to be from before the timeline split don't really work in terms of look/details (the USS Kelvin really doesn't work for me as a 'pre-TOS Enterprise' look - if anything the only other ship that shares those kinds of details is the ...post-Nero-timeline-split Enterprise), but at the very least, whoever came up with the Franklin was trying to fit it into the design lineage in a way that makes sense.

Still think they should have stuck with something more like the 'USS Iowa' concept art for the Kelvin:

efXT1wY.png

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

Yeah, it's a bit confusing... it's supposedly the first warp 4 engine, so PRE ENT, but it lasts until 2160ish, which is the founding of the Federation.  So I think it's just even an old ship when it's doing it's thing in space, as ENT took place in the 2150s if I remember correctly, last episode being right at 2160... I think...

Commander S
  • Commander S

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:18 PM

Yeah - I think they were trying to make it fit in with both TOS and Enterprise with details from both (it has polarised hull plating like the NX-class, but has a 'Starship Class' bit on the dedication plaque, like the original TOS Enterprise, rather than the TNG-onwards tradition of having the actual class name, like 'Galaxy-class', 'Intrepid-class', etc. - weirdly, the new movie Enterprise does the same thing), but they screwed the pooch a bit. :p

Warp 4 means 'pre-NX', since the NX-01 was the first Warp 5 ship, and yet it's 'USS Franklin*' not just 'Franklin', which would be correct for Federation Starfleet ships (post-2161), not pre-Federation, Earth Starfleet ships like Enterprise and Columbia.

...but then, par for the course every time a new creative team takes the helm of Star Trek. Like how putting TOS in the 23rd Century (not the very end of the 22nd), in order to have the dates line up with the actual air dates (so 'episode aired in 1967' = 'events take place in 2267') mucks around with references in things like Space Seed (where it's implied that Khan and co. have been frozen for two centuries - that'd make sense if they left Earth in 1996 and were found in 2196, not so much in 2267!) and The Wrath of Khan (the film was supposed to be set 15 years after Space Seed, to match up with the 15 year gap between the episode and the film, and the 'in the 23rd century' opening card was a little nod to how being set 15 years after the latter days of the 22nd would have pushed the timescale past 2200 - but the re-jigged 'official' timeline actually ignores all the references in the film, and insists that the gap between SS and TWoK is 18 years - !?!?!). And let's not even start trying to make sense of the Bonaventure from the animated series - that way lies madness. And headaches.  :blink:

*actually, it's unofficially the 'USS Frank Lin', after Justin Lin's father. In fact, if you look at the 'Franklin' plaque, there's indeed the same size gap between the K and L as there is between the S and F, so it definitely reads as the 'USS Mr. Lin Sr.' - ! ;)

• AlienTwo likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:20 PM Edited by Surak, 26 July 2016 - 03:21 PM.

Here's the Comic Con Panel;

A snippet about the show:

"The new series has to remind the audience of the message of star trek.... the adventure of human kind, of all of us.  THe new series has to continue to be progressive and push boundaries in the legacy Gene Roddenberry promised, giving us hope for the future."

"It's not episodic, but telling stories like a novel, chapter by chapter by chapter."

• El Diablo likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:03 PM Edited by Surak, 27 July 2016 - 09:04 PM.

Here's another look at a possible design... still wary of it.

artemispic-01.jpg

artemispic-03.jpg

artemispic-02.jpg

• El Diablo likes this

Commander S
  • Commander S

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:45 PM Edited by Commander S, 11 August 2016 - 06:45 PM.

Ugh - really hate kitbashed 'designs' like that. Not least silly things like having two deflector dishes next to each other - if they're that close together, why not just have the one deflector and have done?

Regarding the new show, though, new info's emerged:

http://io9.gizmodo.c...lead-1785119736

http://io9.gizmodo.c...y-al-1785023307

Most of that's not really surprising, considering what Fuller's said in the past about what he'd want to do if given the reins of a hypothetical new Trek series - but the '10 years before Kirk's five-year mission' timeframe is an interesting wrinkle. It's going to be interesting to see if they actually go for a 'proto-TOS' look for the show (albeit done with all the benefit of 50 years of improved materials and props), or if they're just going to jettison it for a more contemporary spin on the Trek look (and invite a whole load of anachronisms when one realises that 10 years before TOS proper = ...roundabout when Christopher Pike was in command of the Enterprise, as seen in The Cage/The Menagerie :p ).

Hats off to them if they actually do go with something 'period-authentic' for the uniforms - and I'll probably have an aneurysm if they go so far as to have Pike show up as a guest character... ;)

(tries to brainstorm all the current actors who'd make for a decent ringer for Jeffrey Hunter...)

DX3Jv7j.jpg

• AlienTwo likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

https://www.facebook...ext=0&width=560

A video about the upcoming Star Trek Online console release.

As to the timeline of Discovery, I'm pretty happy with it.  It'll be interesting for sure though to see what Fuller does, I hope he avoids Enterprise's mistakes and doesn't shoe-horn in a bunch of retconning.  In fact, I'm good with using mostly only aliens we have already met, there are SO many... a female lead and his tease about andorians.... I'm pretty pumped.  I have a lot of faith in him.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:11 PM

Happy Star Trek Day!!!

star_trek_50_logo_alpha.png?itok=CeBM953

• Spaghetti Cat, Commander S and Ivan1997GTA like this

Commander S
  • Commander S

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

Happy 50th Birthday, Star Trek!

• AlienTwo and Ivan1997GTA like this

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

Everyone's favorite Uncle, but not Grandpa.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:20 PM Edited by Uncle Sikee Atric, 08 September 2016 - 03:25 PM.

Here's another look at a possible design... still wary of it.

artemispic-01.jpg

artemispic-03.jpg

artemispic-02.jpg

Happy 50th day indeed....

But that ship looks like someone stuck a fed disc on a Romulan Warbird, it is horrible!

I'm still used to seeing my ships as little more than this, why do we need graphics, especially when all the tech data is right here on this ship SSD?

Star+Fleet+Battles+7.jpg

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:41 PM

I'm gonna watch some Trek when I get home.

I love to pick random episodes from each series, but I'll have to pick some classics. Space Seed and Trouble with Tribbles are a must from TOS.
  • AlienTwo likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:51 PM

Don't forget Amok Time.

I'm going to watch Inner Light when I get home then play some Star Trek Online.

WzKQNoi.gif?noredirect

• darthYENIK likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

http://deadline.com/...ess-1201819639/

Star Trek: Discovery has been pushed from January to May.  Booo.  I suspect the Romulans are at the center of this deception.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:03 AM

Bryan Fuller leaves Star Trek: Discovery.

God I hate that ship...

http://www.ew.com/ar...tv-bryan-fuller

Commander S
  • Commander S

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:50 AM Edited by Commander S, 23 November 2016 - 07:51 AM.

...well, holy effing smokes:

Spoiler

:O

Not sure if _______ will be the series' lead/first officer, or the Discovery's captain (I'm putting money on the latter), but either way, wow, that's a great start. Or, to quote a particularly memorable fictional racist asshole:

;)

• AlienTwo likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

That would be awesome for the Asian community, they have been sorely underrepresented in general and in Star Trek specifically.

I'm so trepidatious about this show now that Bryan Fuller has left... he was such a beacon of hope for me.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:10 PM

Commander S
  • Commander S

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:35 PM

...a-ha! More casting news, and it's all shaping up really rather interestingly, IMO:

Spoiler

• AlienTwo likes this

Commander S
  • Commander S

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:32 PM Edited by Commander S, 16 December 2016 - 03:34 PM.

Sorry for the double-post, but we have our Number One!  :O

Spoiler

Hype train keeps on hypin' - the only downer thus far has been the loss of Fuller, but I'd like to remain optimistic that the remaining team will do the show justice, and if the cast thus far is anything to go by, I'm not worried at all. Bring on more details - and the big deal-maker/breaker: first shots of the cast in-uniform!

:panic:

• AlienTwo likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:08 AM

There's something I'd like to know. Why does everything Trek-related seem to revolve around the original series' era lately?

I mean, I get it that TOS was quite revolutionary at the time, but when I started watching Trek, it was already outdated as hell. In fact, the first season of TNG is kinda crappy exactly because it was set up as a direct continuation of TOS (lots of scripts were originally made for TOS and repurposed). Frankly I still can't imagine TOS ever being all that good - after all, Shatner's acting is pretty much recognized as terrible, lots of stories as trash and Roddenberry's scripts as laughably bad a lot of times. Yea there are definitely good things in there but more in concept than the actual execution IMO.

So why come back to this era instead of, say, the great later TNG / DS9 era? That would actually make more sense at this time since the nostalgia is strong for the 90's these days. And there's no doubt in my mind that while TOS introduced us to the interesting Trekkie universe, it was the later shows, especially TNG, that really made Trek what it is.

And then, if we'd want to go back to the rather limited TOS sub-universe anyway - why turn it into just another stupid action blockbuster? The last 3 Trek movies were sub-par and unrecognizable as Star Trek anyway and I don't believe the series will be different.

Would make more sense to either kickstart a new era or at least reuse some of the other eras which were more action-based. Personally I'd still like to see more of the ENT era. Or some other part of the galaxy, or another galaxy. Voyager surely isn't the only ship that got lost by being thrown across space. And since those shows were already lacking quite a bit, it would make more sense to take another shot at those I think.

• AlienTwo and Vik like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:24 PM

I hear you on some level.  I am currently doing my first ever TOS "re" watch, I know I've seen all the episodes just never sat down to make a thing of it.  And honestly, before this rewatch I agreed with you more, but I'm coming to really love and respect the old episodes.  They can be super hokey in parts. but I think a lot of that is a reflection on the times, the technology and the perceived place TV had in the artistic community, i.e., not very respected so sometimes they didn't put as much effort into the background worldbuilding or other smaller technical details.  

But I think they keep coming back to this era because these characters, Spock, Kirk, McCoy... these are the really iconic characters.  Argue all you want on the Kirk vs Picard (Picard all.the.way) debate, Kirk is the larger-than-life archetype, the character that now belongs to more than one actor, while Picard is still very specifically Patrick Stewart and much, much less a cultural icon.  As much as you, me and much of the rest of the trek fanbase wants to learn what happened after Nemesis, the studio and CBS don't see a lot of money in that.  And they seem to be right... what I hope is that the new series is popular enough to spawn more, and that in that brave new world they go back... back to the future, and by that I mean post 2379.  For now, all we have is Star Trek Online and if you haven't played that free game yet, I'd suggest giving it a try.  They use so many actors from all the series and a bunch of very interesting new story lines, including a deep delve into the Delta Quadrant... 

As to the new movies, I agree about them not being "Trek."  If I just watch them without the weight of the entire trek-verse looming over my head I have a really good time.  They are fun and exciting sci-fi, and I am more than happy to get the franchise back up and running (despite it's recent apparent re-death after the best chapter in this new series) even if it's not the same Trek I remember, because it only opens the doors to the possibility of even more chapters, and with the possibility I hope one day they will go and answer what happens after B-4, maybe we'll get to hear about Captain Riker and the adventures of the Titan... who knows.  Stuff is happening, and that alone is a pretty eciting thing.

Anyway, once again I'll recommend Star Trek Online and emphasise it's free for PS4, XB1 & PC. Really scratches that Andorian itch.

Spoiler

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:35 AM Edited by RogerWho, 23 December 2016 - 06:58 AM.

I don't necessarily need to know what happened to the TNG crew in further shows/movies, there are tons of pretty great books if I'd want go into that. But for the same reason (plus my reasons outlined above) I don't need to have more adventures of Kirk and Spock.

The cultural icon is true of course, but that also brings a lot of baggage anyway. There's obvious need to make the crew way, way larger than life. If I'm not mistaken (it's easy to forget what these things were aboout), in the last 3 movies the Enterprise crew has saved Earth, prevented an intergallactic war and saved some huge space station or something, all while remaining ultra righteous and fighting against corrupt ultra-evil. Not to mention Kirk went straight from cadet to captain. It's ridiculous.

Seriously, I watched Beyond just last week (that's how little I cared, despite being a Trekkie) and while it started sorta kinda Trek-ish with the kamaraderie and stuff, the entire staff could be easily swapped for the Avengers or some other literal superheroes and nothing would change. The movie is already shot pretty much exactly as all those superhero apocalyptic movies of late (Avengers, Thor 2, Man of Steel, BvS come to mind). Not saying it's such a bad format but it's so cookie cutter it's really getting stupid and doesn't fit Star Trek at all.

Just compare these movies to The Best of Both Worlds, Sacrifice of Angels (not that I'm exactly a fan of that episode but still) or Damage. All of these are about saving the world(s) and action but damn how unique they are.

Frankly I liked the idea behind ENT. Even though it obviously wasn't such a good idea to make Archer the centerpiece of everything that's going on in the galaxy and a lot of episodes were awkward or stupid, I did enjoy the sense of discovering the unknown the show had, pretty much like most of TNG. And it was really trying new things. Shame the show didn't work out all that well at the end. I think this really is what ST is mostly about: the discovery and the human element. Depiction of action, war or whatever is needed as well but it's not everything.

Yea, haven't tried STO yet... I keep thinking about giving it a shot and then always get distracted by shiny objects.

Later edit: now that I'm thinking about it, maybe the TOS era is actually ideal for this sort of treatment. Kirk's crew was generally younger (not really but it has that vibe) and there was this whole 'cowboy diplomacy' thing. While the chronologically later shows had obviously more professionalism in it and young characters were depicted as something rather abnormal (such as Wesley and Harry Kim).

So yea. The typical hero of today is the one that's young, preferably a teenager, more often than not a 'chosen one' (a cadet gets to command the best ship) and doesn't follow the rules because duh, why would they need to study all the intricacies of interstellar life when they just go ahead and shoot things up or become comic relief when they mess up something diplomatic.

Yep, seems like a great fit. The TOS era humanity is essentially in its teen years.

Indy007
  • Indy007

I'm kind of a rebel. I open chip bags from the bottom.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:57 PM

I actually enjoyed it far more than Into Darkness.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:01 PM

@RogerWho - I agree with a bit of what you are saying, but the way the actors bring the characters to life is something amazing it itself. They took "iconic" characters that everyone knows, love or hate, and made them Iconic.  Now being played so brilliantly by more than one person, these roles are larger than the actors and more like the Greek mythos, something I appreciate greatly.

And I agree with Indy007, this was the best of the new three, and even though it alters Trek mythology, the Trek we all love is still there on Netflix, DVD and BluRay, I'm happy for the new blood and money that made "Discovery" a possibility.  

• Indy007 likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:34 PM

I haven't found any other sources on this, so take it with a grain of salt, but the facts seem to make sense:

http://www.nextbigfu...et-in-four.html

If you can't click the link, it basically shows images of the current announced cast, including 2 Klingons, 2 male one female, and states that the show will take place during the "Four Year Klingon War."

Indy007
  • Indy007

I'm kind of a rebel. I open chip bags from the bottom.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:50 AM Edited by Indy007, 30 December 2016 - 09:53 AM.

@RogerWho - I agree with a bit of what you are saying, but the way the actors bring the characters to life is something amazing it itself. They took "iconic" characters that everyone knows, love or hate, and made them Iconic.  Now being played so brilliantly by more than one person, these roles are larger than the actors and more like the Greek mythos, something I appreciate greatly.

And I agree with Indy007, this was the best of the new three, and even though it alters Trek mythology, the Trek we all love is still there on Netflix, DVD and BluRay, I'm happy for the new blood and money that made "Discovery" a possibility.  

I'm honestly a bit pissed as to why it has been delayed from Jan 1st to May, but I do understand the reasoning. They didn't even start filming nor get all the crew until this month, so it would have been a bit unrealistic to release the show in Jan. Even before they changed the release date things weren't off the ground and it would have been pretty far fetched to start filming so close to the deadline.

At the same time...I just hope the hype will still be there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users