Star Trek

155 replies to this topic
BatFerYou
  • BatFerYou

GILF

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:16 PM

The trailer for "Beyond" smacks of Fast & Furious and is it just me, or is Pegg in that trailer a  lot more than a 2nd/3rd tier character should be?  

I like the idea of using The Beastie Boys in the soundtrack, but it feels oddly out of place.  Like they need an excuse (playing 20th Century music on the ship) to include it...

Is it a callback to the Beasties dressing up as Star Trek characters in their "Check it out" video?

Pop culture. Sigh.

• AlienTwo likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:46 PM

I finally saw the trailer a week ago in the previews at a theater (The Force Awakens for the third time). I agree with the opinion of most, it's not really a good trailer for a Star Trek movie.

I think with how Into Darkness was received, they will need to really nail Beyond. And already public opinion is not on their side.
  • AlienTwo and Vik like this

Spadge
  • Spadge

Born Bad

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:35 PM Edited by Spadge007, 09 January 2016 - 11:37 PM.

I loved Star Trek The Next Generation, Voyager and of course the original series, and these news Star Trek movies seriously kick ass, I love 'em, they're just, different. Let's see how the newest one will do.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
  • Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:31 PM

I would be such a happy boy if the new one was a "return to form" of sorts, despite the direction the trailer seems to indicate it will go.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:04 PM

Somebody actually liked Voyager?  

E: Somebody actually watched the UPN (or was it the WB network?)  

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:08 PM

As sad a it is, I find myself putting VOY on and enjoying it.  I think it's more just a dearth of quality Trek and I'm willing to accept nearly anything that takes place in THAT Universe.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

Allow me to re-phrase...Somebody actually liked Voyager with their pants on?  

• AlienTwo likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

I think it looks pretty fun. I mean, the trailer really seemed to scream 'remember the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy ?!?? And that one time Kirk played this song?!??' - but it looks fun. Love the design, nice to see some vintage outfits and Kirk lookin' Kirkly.

Really hope they don't blow up any planets or teleport across the universe this time, though.
  • AlienTwo and Vik like this

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:11 AM

• acmilano and SmokesWithCigs like this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:29 AM

Looks a little more serious. Probably won't satisfy the hardcore Trekkies. There's still too much shooty-shooty and motorcycles.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Rikers and Snickers

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

I'm actually seeing a much more positive response to this trailer compared to the first, and rightfully so - that first one really underwhelmed me and I nearly forgot this was even coming out. Consider me hyped again.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:31 PM

The Warp Bubble effect was pretty neat, I liked that better then the magical fairy dust from the last one.  

• Vanilla Shake and AlienTwo like this

acmilano
  • acmilano

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:21 AM

Compared this to first trailer,its like difference between Assassins Creed movie trailer and Assassins Creed 'fixed' trailers (which is good).

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2016
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

Anton Yelchin, Chekov, has died age 27 in a freak car accident. Rest in peace :(

http://www.telegraph...cident-aged-27/

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:36 PM

That is like, weird way to go.  Yeah, many RIP and condolences to the family.  Just wow and sad too.  

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:00 PM

yeah that's the kind of death that would've gone great as one of the opening scenes to Six Feet Under...

Member's Only
  • Member's Only

• BUSTED!
  • Mars
  • Achievement unlocked: used the porkcharsui cheat

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:14 AM

yeah that's the kind of death that would've gone great as one of the opening scenes to Six Feet Under...

I remember there was one just like that.

Involved some middle aged guy getting ran over with his own Ford Excursion.

R.I.P Anton Yelchin.

• El Diablo and Ivan1997GTA like this

Craigsters
  • Craigsters

no, I haven't been up all night on my PC

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

I seen this on inside edition, his Jeep  is on the recall list for it's stick shift and a drive and park auto lock button issue on the Stick shift!..

R.I.P. Anton Yelchin

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:49 AM

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:17 AM

Oy,

Rihanna and Trek... a... perfect... combo....

• Spaghetti Cat likes this

acmilano
  • acmilano

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

Rest in Peace to Anton Yelchin. Quite a sad thing. Guy was only 27,much younger than me. 

I will probably watc this movie in cinema,hopefully it will good. Also Simon Pegg give some new detailes.

http://www.trektoday...beyond-details/

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

Slightly OT:  I've been reading about the new destroyer that the Navy is testing.  It's called the Zumwalt, and pretty high-tech.  Anyways, you might find it interesting who is commanding the ship:  

http://www.thefiscal...llion-Destroyer

• acmilano and AlienTwo like this

X S
  • X S

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Miss Los Santos Host Extraordinaire

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

I'm not much of a Star Trek fan, but I came across this article.  Apparently, George Takei's character will actually be gay in the new film?  Well, Takei is disappointed with this decision, and I have to say I agree with him.  If they were so desperate for diversity in this film, why not just create a new character?

Anyway, guess I'll leave the link here:

https://www.yahoo.co...-215019790.html

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Commander S
  • Commander S

Work hard, mustard big

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:39 PM

LGBTQ topics have long been the one big area where Trek really didn't go all that boldly ...ever, really (other than tip-toeing around the whole thing). But considering the state of the NuTrek movies, and how they're action blockbusters with one-note archetypes and very little room for character development, I don't get the feeling that this will wind up being more than 'Sulu mentions he went on a date with some guy' in an off-hand scene. JOB DONE, EH? :rol:

...and yeah, I'm totally with George. It almost feels like 'hey, we need a gay character so we can say we've finally done it in a Trek story - and George Takei is gay, so ...yeah, let's make it Sulu, I guess'. Superficially, it's lazy - and the more you dig into it, the more it feels like piggy-backing on Takei's reputation and activism. Again, I don't see them doing anything more with it than a throwaway reference or two, just to be able to say 'look, we did the thing!', so it's almost like siphoning off some of the goodwill associated with Takei, simply by association.

(and beyond that, how rude is it to actually talk to George, hear his reservations about it, and then ...go ahead and do it anyway, with a patronising rebuttal - ?)

Granted, a new character would probably suffer the same problem of being a one-note throwaway line and little else - but again, blame NuTrek and the paper-thin approach to the story/characters/world-building. I honestly think the better place for better LGBTQ representation is going to be the (really promising) new TV series - Trek always worked better on TV (and even the original movies were just feature-length spin-offs of established TV shows) because there was more time to develop characters over the course of many episodes, and likewise allow for gradual world-building. That last part really is the most important part, IMO - if Trek really wants to catch up with the ...21st century*, one character in one movie/episode isn't enough. There needs to be all the minor background stuff, too - stuff that basically normalises it as part of the setting, and that yet again, NuTrek really doesn't seem all that concerned about (and probably doesn't have much time to dedicate to it, because 'splosions and set pieces).

*that's the bit that always 'amuses' me - that in finally acknowledging that LGBTQ folks exist and just weaving them into the fabric of the Trek setting, the far future of the 23rd/24th century is finally getting as radically progressive as ...the present day. :p Which, granted, ain't saying much!

• X S and AlienTwo like this

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:13 AM

Starcher Trek

acmilano
  • acmilano

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:14 PM Edited by acmilano, 23 July 2016 - 03:20 PM.

Watched i last night. IMO,it was better then 'Into Darkness' but not good as 2009 one. Action was good and scene with music was great. Also it was nostalic with the way how they pay respect to Leonard Nimroy and original crew. But plot and motivation of villain was kinda weak, its better described in this article.(Spoiler Allert).

http://www.economist...07/sci-fi-films

From Nero in the 2009 film, Khan and Marcus in “Star Trek: Into Darkness” and all the way through to “Beyond”’s villain, these men are maniacs motivated by vengeance and an infantile appetite for military force. Unlike real and powerful terrorists on Earth, they do not have ideologies. If “Star Trek” were still doing its job on television today, it would be asking questions about how a federation of planets can stick together when one powerful member becomes cautious of integration and votes to quit (with echoes of Brexit). Or how to tackle groups that, like Islamic State, use religion to justify an ultra-conservative social agenda—and abhorrent violence to impose it. 

At the core of “Beyond” is a vague fight against the political concept of unity. In the 24th century, Vulcans, humans and countless other species live and love side by side. Two men can be together and raise a daughter. We see everyone getting along fine on the multicultural, pluralist starbase Yorktown—a kind of utopia that could be a cleaner, man-made planet version of New York City.

But Krall, the villain of the piece, hates the sight of different peoples being friends. He wants to go to war. “Without struggle you will never know who you truly are,” he booms, in his deep, evil voice. Yet Krall’s distaste for unity lacks an explanation of why he finds racial and cultural harmony so distressing and, therefore, a vision of his own ideology (which would presumably be racist or homophobic or with some other backward flavour). Krall is upset at the sight of the different species getting along—but unlike the real world’s anti-integration ideologues, he doesn’t use words to drive divisions between people. The film misses an opportunity to probe interesting questions and test the idea of liberalism. The film misses an opportunity to do what “Star Trek” does best.

• AlienTwo likes this

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:46 PM

I really hope this is the Star Trek movie they make after Beyond:

Spoiler
  • AlienTwo likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:42 AM

The new ship, the USS Cardboard:

Can we change the name of the thread to like "Star Trek"? Just to be more than this new movie.

I just came back from Beyond and it was. Beyond my expectations. I teared up no less than 4 times and cried no less than 2. Exciting, Trekish, and entertaining. Can't WAIT for #4.
  • Kirsty likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:38 PM

Update:  The above release was primarily meant to showcase the musical score and show how excited the staff is,the ship isn't final.

Thank the devil.

http://trekmovie.com...n-shows-themes/

Commander S
  • Commander S

Work hard, mustard big

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:33 PM Edited by Commander S, 25 July 2016 - 08:36 PM.

Yeah - it looks a bit 'WIP render' in that video. Although I'm a little curious - apparently they have gone with a design inspired by the unused 'Planet of the Titans' concepts by Ralph McQuarrie (after Ken Adams), so the finished Discovery might well wind up looking something like that version, at least:

planet%2Bof%2Bthe%2Btitans%2B2.jpg

titans%2B1.jpeg

(note the wider, flatter secondary hull, and the nacelles which are rear-mounted/forward-projecting, more like the TNG Enterprise-D than Kirk's Enterprises - hmm...)

That's the other thing - I'm wondering when this is going to take place era-wise. Obviously we're back in the proper Trek universe (hurrah!!), but the rumours suggested the new series was going to take place in the time between The Undiscovered Country and TNG (which is a long stretch of time to play with, with a lot of stylistic changes during those years).

Obviously the registry is NCC-1031, which is earlier than Kirk's Enterprise (NCC-1701), although to be fair, registries from the TOS/TMP era are a bit of a muddle - you've got the Constitution-class USS Constellation (NCC-1071 - and yet supposedly a contemporary ship to the Enterprise) in The Doomsday Machine, and in The Search for Spock, the Oberth-class USS Grissom (NCC-638), which can't be older than the Constitution-class, since it has design elements more in keeping with ships from that time, like the refit Enterprise and the Excelsior (the glowing blue deflector dish, for one).

(heck, that 'ribbed' ring around the bridge section on the Discovery's saucer isn't a million miles away from the similar design on the Grissom, come to think of it...)

Throw in the fact that a lot of the designs from the TMP movie era played around with more experimental geometric designs, harder angles, and unusual configurations than the more curved designs of either TOS or TNG-onwards, and that not only was 'Planet of the Titans' an abortive attempt at a post-TOS movie series like TMP, but the mock-up study models even showed up as background ships in Earth Spacedock in The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home, and ...yeah, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the Discovery is just going to be a more extreme design from the TMP era.

Spoiler

...or it could be a bit of overly-referential fan-w**kery, re-using the McQuarrie design instead of coming up with an original design more typical of the era. :p  And that's even assuming it's indeed of that era - could well be the whole thing is a glaring anachronism. We'll see...

• AlienTwo likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users