The Automotive Appreciation Thread

10 replies to this topic
SpaceJunk
  • SpaceJunk

?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:14 PM

This thread is dedicated mainly for car design and not handling. If you want to discuss that topic, I would recommend Scagliettis thread instead of this.

Looking back, Grand Theft Auto IV didn't disappoint with their vehicle choices. After witnessing the abominations cars that Rockstar developed for V, you start to realize how unappreciated the cars in IV were. There was something for everyone. You could see different trim models driving around, every car had unique badges and emblems, every class of car was well represented, and realism was valued over thrill. Every car had unique handling and driving actually required skill. GTA IV proved that a car doesn't have to be sporty or new to be liked. In this thread I will post different cars and general info about them. I encourage you to post your experiences involving the cars in here, whether it be single or multi player. As for the title, you can appreciate anything with an engine in this thread, not just automobiles. 

• Tycek, Scaglietti and Payne Killer like this

Blessed Viper
  • Blessed Viper

Car Nut

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:34 AM

I really enjoyed every car GTA IV had to offer. They had their own feeling to them, but the design was subtle and realistic. There was also a lot of variety. If you wanted a luxurious sports car, there was the Turismo or the Super GT. If you wanted a beefy muscle car, the Dukes and Sabre GT were perfect. Not to mention the beaters, which were beauties in and of itself. It's hard to pick favorites between so many good-looking models, but here are a couple of my thoughts on three of my favorites.

Coquette
I think I'm so in love with this design since it's heavily based on a C5 Corvette, which is my favorite generation of Corvettes. The rear is especially what does it for me. The huge rear window matched with the wide rear makes a perfect combo in my opinion. I would've loved to have flip-up lights, or maybe even a more detailed front bumper, but the rest of the car makes up for it.

Turismo
The Turismo is easily the most beautiful car in the game. It's a nice mix between being elegant and sporty. It's pretty small compared to other cars, but it's just spectacular. What I enjoy the most about the car is the front end, especially the bumper. I think the subtle design is way more appealing than the exaggerated monstrosity that is the Turismo R from GTA V.

Tampa
To end the list off, I had to go with the Tampa. It just embodies what a late sixties muscle car is. The blocky body and hood scoops make the car look really aggressive. The thing I love the most about the design is the rear. The taillights match perfectly with the car. Overall it's a very subtle but aggressive design. It just embodies a late-sixties muscle car perfectly.
  • Scaglietti and SpaceJunk like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:44 AM

I really liked the selection of Vehicles in the Game.

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
  • Snap Battle Season 3 Winner [X360]
    The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:23 AM

I love how we had pretty realistic looking vehicles, and the detail put into the vehicles is crazy. I admire the work they put into IV.

• Scaglietti likes this

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

Only those who die get closure, the living do not.

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:49 AM

As a car fanatic, I admire the selection of vehicles and their designs in IV. They were just right and not too OTP like some of the vehicles in V. I like how in IV each vehicle has their own unique detail and characteristics that make them special. That is what V lacks in the vehicle department IMO.
  • Scaglietti likes this

cryptorelic
  • cryptorelic

odĕrint dum metŭant

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

Cars in IV are designed amazingly. I love the look of the Super GT & actually Roman's cab car.

However, one thing really annoying was, when you entered a specific car, the next minute, only such cars would spawn all over the city.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:06 PM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 13 December 2015 - 12:09 PM.

Cars in IV are designed amazingly. I love the look of the Super GT & actually Roman's cab car.
However, one thing really annoying was, when you entered a specific car, the next minute, only such cars would spawn all over the city.

Happens with every GTA. It's to do with the spawning. Find a car you've been desperately trying to find and a heap of them spawn. It'll be the same in GTA VI I guarantee it.

Anyway vehicle models in GTA IV were ahead of their time IMO. So detailed you could almost mistake them for the real thing.
  • cryptorelic and Scaglietti like this

cryptorelic
  • cryptorelic

odĕrint dum metŭant

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

Happens with every GTA. It's to do with the spawning. Find a car you've been desperately trying to find and a heap of them spawn. It'll be the same in GTA VI I guarantee it.

Anyway vehicle models in GTA IV were ahead of their time IMO. So detailed you could almost mistake them for the real thing.

I wonder why they would make it that way ? I mean, it's kind of annoying, but also the irony in it when you are desperately trying to find a specific vehicle for hours.

I think you could almost call it a easter egg, if it really happens in every GTA series game.

Yeah i loved the whole package, handling, look, design, coloring & acceleration. I think it was also good that tuning car's was not possible.

As of for Pay n' Spray i little interactive menu to choose which primary and secondary color you want would have been nice.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:49 PM Edited by Scaglietti, 14 December 2015 - 06:47 PM.

Spoiler

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:48 PM

I've always loved the way Rockstar detailed their cars. III, VC, SA. You could just tell that they loved cars and that they knew a lot about the cars they chose to parody. And even though the graphics for those 3D-Era games were sort of dated, the cars were always on point. They still had depth. Now that being said when IV came out, they blew me away. The fact that most cars had their own unique cockpits. The fact that you could see the flecks in a metallic paint job. All of those little details did it for me. But what blew me away the most were the badges, inside and out. A lot of cars shared interiors with other cars but what set them apart from each other were the badges. Not just on the steering wheel but on the carpets. The brand embroidery on the headrests, on the dash, metallic badges slapped on door sills. I think they bring the cars to life. They give them depth that is astounding to see especially for cars that aren't even licensed, cars that don't even exist in the real world.

And IV did it the best. Vanilla IV was their high point. After TLaD I started noticing the lack of attention to detail. Missing badges, more recycled cockpits. By V they were pretty much slacking. So naturally the cars in IV just have a level of specialness to them - at least for me - that you just can't find in other games. There are so many cars that I love in IV but I do have my favorites:

The Russian Benefactor Schafter

ip4eQfg.jpg

640px-Schafter-GTA4-modified-rear.jpg

One of my favorite looking cars in IV is the Russian Benefactor Schafter. It oozes stealth. From the unique metallic black paint job to all of the smoked door handles and the smoked grill and smoked trim. And just look those menacing quad pipes in the back. Oh man the sound that comes out of things, that supercharged V12 sings! The real party piece are those beautifully simple black five spoke rims with the chrome dishes. So late 90's - early 00's German. The tail lights are all LED and at night emit a beautiful bright shape that gives the car presence in the back. And they're the only thing you'll see at night because this thing is completely black, it's murdered out! In front you have bi-xenons surrounded by circular LED strips.

This car captures the essence of Stuttgart and the Mercedes AMG tuning division. The Russian Benefactor Schafter draws most of its inspiration from the 2005 W220 Mercedes S65 AMG V12 BiTurbo:

5RHfvV6.jpg?1

75rbqkY.jpg?2

E5h1BlT.jpg?1

As you can see, Rockstar nailed it! From the placement of the badges to the quad pipes and the side profile. And they did a damn fine job on the rims. Instead of replicating the ones above, they took these - what I think are the sexiest Mercedes rims out there...

8h9qz8e.jpg?2

...and murdered them out, tastefully keeping the dishes chrome. And all of the badges are on point, I mean just look:

Schafter_badges.png

Granted the car it's based off of is a turbo, but damn, so much detail! And the badges don't lie. Have you heard this engine? It sounds like a muscle car. It kind of is one, pure German muscle. It goes like stink and changes direction like no other sedan in this game. That engine is a masterpiece, so much torque. Presumably - in theory - Benefactor's more powerful models were tuned in Lenningen as that's what the engine cover reads in the super sexy Feltzer, and I have to say that they did a good job. The real S65 AMG is a monster, it is so fast and just crazy to drive.

It still kind of surprises me that Rockstar made this car. You see how they model sedans now. In V they're all slow and sound like hair dryers and perform terribly. Even the Presidente in IV is kind of slow. But they just didn't skimp on this one. The Benefactor Schafter, especially the Russian one, is a true sports sedan. It's fast, it's stealthy, it handles well, it sounds powerful. So what the hell happened? Why can't they do that now? Why can't they make cars like this anymore.

A Schafter V12 was leaked in the Executive Update files for GTA V which is scheduled to release this Tuesday. I've caught a few glimpses of it and it does remind me of this car with it's slightly more aggressive styling compared to the current V Schafter. But I won't get my hopes up. If it still handles and sounds as wimpy and weak as the V Schafter then I won't be surprised. But part of me really wants it to be like this car. Fast, mean, burly.

This car is a brute. Shame they don't make 'em like they used to no more.

• B Dawg, PhillBellic, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Bitchass Bullsh*t

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:47 PM

GTA IV car is great for me like the merit, comet, esperanto, cavalcade is my favorite GTA IV car

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users