Quantcast

» «
Photo

What is the deal with the tank road block driver?

8 replies to this topic
WeaponApe
  • WeaponApe

Player Hater

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:47 PM

You know the type.

Like you can steal a cop car, you can steal one of the road-block tanks, and a little red-and-green-dressed fella drops out. He's not fussed about the bazookas flying around him, instead he will calmly walk to the pavement and start beating on cops who are naughty to you. It's like he's on your side from the moment you force him out of the tank!

On the negative side, he often does not live long, since he is usually shot to death by military police when he tries to punch them.  :(

I find him to be the most interesting NPC in GTA2. What's up with his behaviour? Why is he dressed in those strange clothes? Why isn't he armed? 

Also, his body seems to remain permanently at wherever he was killed, even if everything around him is cleaned up.

• Sektor likes this

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:09 AM Edited by Sektor, 11 December 2015 - 12:07 PM.

Semi technical theory:

the clothes are because they're index 0, "default clothes"
his behaviour is all because that's the index 0 in the enum for whatever piece of behaviour
he's all default
that's probably his threat level
they never expected anyone to successfully pull him out (you have to not be blown by his tanks' rockets at all to succeed)

Real theory:

His mother was a car thief and his father was a mugger, so he likes to wear a combination of their colours.  He joined the army after his parents were murdered.  When he got back to civilian life, he couldn't function properly and resorted to stealing cars and mugging peds.  His strange behavior is due to psychological problems and PTSD.  Eventually he managed to get a job with the National Guard. It's hot inside tanks, so he doesn't like to wear his National Guard uniform.
This is the true story of ROAD_BLOCK_TANK_MAN aka RBTM! 

• B Dawg and WeaponApe like this

WeaponApe
  • WeaponApe

Player Hater

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:42 AM

Hahaha, amazing. I like that theory a lot!  :lol:

Is there a wiki entry on him or something? Or was that quote you pulled from this forum?

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:52 AM Edited by Sektor, 11 December 2015 - 11:59 AM.

The original source of the quotes was destroyed but that's no reason not to have faith in RBTM's origin story.

GTA2 modders have talked about him before because originally RBTM made multiplayer go out of sync while in his tank since he shot at the local player instead of shooting at the same player on all computers.  Wanted level never went over SWAT in the official multiplayer scripts, so this was only noticed in user made scripts.  vike modified gta2.exe to make RBTM aim the tank turret at the nearest player instead of shooting at the local player.  Some more weird behavior, RBTM tank shoots at players even when they extremely far away and there's no way the tank driver could even see them or hit them.

• Helegad likes this

WeaponApe
  • WeaponApe

Player Hater

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:41 PM Edited by Giradox, 13 December 2015 - 07:42 PM.

Interesting!

Also, I'm sure I read something like "he's neither dead or alive", and I was gonna do a clever answer about how it's almost like he's a virus.

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:11 PM Edited by Sektor, 13 December 2015 - 11:13 PM.

I hinted that his body doesn't vanish because he's a robot but I scrapped that idea since robots don't normally have parents.

BBBean
  • BBBean

Mad Islander

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

What is the trick to hijack a roadblock tank? :O I know you can sometimes jack a cop car if you try many times, but I've not had success with the road blocking tanks.

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:17 AM Edited by Sektor, 29 December 2015 - 11:18 AM.

It's just about timing and trying multiple times. Not too fast, not too slow. This doesn't just apply to stealing tanks.

BBBean
  • BBBean

Mad Islander

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:15 PM

Hm thanks, actually it worked. :p I didn't know that being too fast can also fail.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users