Quantcast

» «
Photo

System Shock 3

16 replies to this topic
Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

Everyone's favorite Uncle, but not Grandpa.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:24 AM Edited by Sikee Atric, 09 December 2015 - 12:36 PM.

Has anyone else seen the teasers and hints Otherside Entertainment has released regarding their wish to create a new System Shock?

I am seriously hoping this gets going as SHODAN remains one of the greatest gaming villains of all time and the series is still a pinnacle of horror, 15 years on from SS2. You have to remember the team originally behind these games went on to create the Bioshock games and now some of them want to go back to the Mother of those games (I would have said Daddy, but that is disrespectful of SHODAN).

What do you guys think?

Sources : http://www.gamespot....o/1100-6432919/

http://shodan.wikia.com/wiki/SHODAN(If you have never faced her before, please listen to the Audio records of SHODAN on the SS wiki. You will then get an idea of the fear she can generate, just listening to that voice....)

EDITED THE MISTAKE. soz about that.

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:01 PM Edited by Osho, 09 December 2015 - 12:13 PM.

I am aware about this and was shocked to find out while reading Underworld Ascendant kickstarter news.
I am happy that the same looking glass team is working on it, giving me good hope that the game wont be dumbed down for the casual potatoes.
Lets wait and see what further details emerge.

E: A slight correction, OP. Its not Outside :D but Otherside Entertainment.
Also, its confirmed there's going to be SS3, no "possibility" required in the thread title.

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:34 PM

Thank you for the correction. I will fix it now.

I hope the Kickstarter gets the support it deserves, I will be funding it.

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:48 PM

I will back the project too. Though at this point nothing is clear about the funding part. Hopefully, they will reveal more concrete details with some screens and teasers to share.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:13 PM Edited by Tycek, 09 December 2015 - 09:14 PM.

It's hard for me to swallow the news as I part of me is extremely happy hearing this, while the other stays scared. SS2 is one of my most beloved games (maybe even the most beloved one) and I still play it at least once a year. 

On one hand I would love to see modern reincarnation of the System Shock, especially that OE stated that they would like to make a full remaster of the first game. I like the fact that Paul Neurath (founder of the Blue Sky Productions, which was later renamed to Looking Glass) - one of the fathers of the brand is standing behind this. 

On other hand I am scared that the game won't fulfil my expectations and will be just another dance on old brand's grave.

But, since it was possible to bring back Deus Ex in respected way, I honestly hope that SS will follow. And they have to bring Eric and Terri Brosius back, because without them it won't be the same. Terri is SHODAN after all and Eric's music still sends chills down my spine. 

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:36 PM

The countdown has finished and the site has gone live with the reveal. Things are just in detail now, but a newsletter sign up is available, plus a little clip reminding us who's back! Roll on more detail....

http://othersidetease.com/sss.php

Swiss Made
  • Swiss Made

• Members
  • Switzerland

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:10 PM

Dope!

Buckminsterfullerene
  • Buckminsterfullerene

If it ain't fix it, don't broke it

• Members
  • Senegal

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:08 PM

Can anyone tell me what makes System Shock 1 and 2 so good? I'm interested in an FPS RPG.

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

I have never played them but I think form what I have seen is because of the atomsphere and the respawning enemies (I think respawning enemies is only in 2 however) and the non linear path (semi open) and because it was at the time unique.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

For those interested, Warren Spector - father of many games including System Shock, joined Otherside Entertainment to help with the latest iteration of the series.

https://www.rockpape...system-shock-3/

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

Time to give this topic a little love.

As some of you very likely know, not only System Shock 3 is being made by Otherside Entertainment, but at the same time Night Dive Studios is making remaster of the very first game.

Here's a trailer:

And when I usually try to not hype myself, I want this game right now and I mean right f*cking now. If only time could flow faster somehow. Some may see the engine as the big issue of the remaster, but I hope it will rule at the end.

• Uncle Sikee Atric likes this

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:43 AM

That looks great.

The question I have though is, if they are remastering One using that Engine, will 2 get the same treatment as well? Keep the soundtrack detail and re-explore the Von Braun....

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:37 PM

As far as I know they said they won't be remastering SS2. Good sales of remaster of the first game could change their mind, but I'm afraid that remaster will follow the original in its steps and despite being brilliant, won't sell very well.

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:36 AM

Latest development - Warren Spector reveals new details about System Shock 3
More details in this press release

Spector talks more about the game, Shodan and other returning characters in an interview here

First things first, Spector talked about how Shodan will definitely be a big part of System Shock 3.
"Shodan is the heart and soul of System Shock games," he said. "That's the beauty of System Shock 3;nobody else has Shodan. She'll be at the center of the game, but I also want to put her through some changes. "Arturo has been working on our version of Shodan, which is going to be interesting and different from what people expect. I expect it will infuriate some people but definitely get people talking."

"In System Shock 3 I want to explore Shodan's motivations," said Spector. "In the first two games her plan was to destroy humanity because, with the removal of her ethical constraints by the hacker in the first game, she's going insane. But we never explained why she wants to destroy humanity. So we're going to be exploring the idea of a super intelligence and what would motivate a super intelligent AI."

The survivors are back

At the end of the second game, Shodan downloads herself into a human woman called Rebecca Siddons, leaving a cliffhanger. This will be the starting point of System Shock 3. "We are going to be picking up all of the loose threads of System Shock 2.
Rebecca Siddons is going to appear in this game, for sure," he said. Spector pointed out that there are six survivors from the previous games. Their stories will all be addressed in System Shock 3 as well. Among the NPCs, there's Shodan and Siddons as well as her colleague, Tommy Suarez. The story will also include Rebecca Lansing, who was the player's human guide in the first game.

Also, the game will feature the two previous protagonists: the hacker from the original game, and the soldier from System Shock 2. "We're going to tell their story," said Spector. "There are a lot of questions that went unanswered in those first two games and we have an obligation to fans to fill in the blanks. For new players I think that will pull them into a compelling narrative."
The story will also delve into the history of Edward Diego, a key character in the first game who persuades the player to hack into Shodan.

The original System Shock takes place in the year 2072, while System Shock 2 takes place 42 years later in 2114, also the year in which the new game picks up the story. Spector said he wants to create a game that addresses today's concerns and that draws upon modern technological advances to make predictions about the future: "I like to base everything in reality and extrapolate from there. We want to be able to look at where we are today and ask where we might be a hundred years from now." Like the original, the game will feature virtual spaces as well as real world locations, as the player tackles Shodan on her own cyber turf. "There's been a lot more research into UI and super intelligence in recent years. That will find itself inSystem Shock 3," he said. "We understand hacking a lot better than we used to and it will be presented in a completely different way than it was presented in the earlier games. "Back when we made System Shock, cyberpunk was still at its height in terms of popularity and cultural significance and it was a big inspiration. Nowadays, cyberpunk is a little less current. I've learned over the years that it's foolish to try to convince people to become interested in something they don't care about, so we're finding things that people are interested in today."

Past, present and future

The original games are still going to serve as a central inspiration. Spector played them both recently. "As I was playing them, I emailed people who worked on the original games," he said. "I would say, 'oh my god, this game is so hard' and the response I would get back would be '1994.' Then I'd say, 'this thing is so big' and the response was '1994.' And then I'd say, the UI in this game is terrible, what were we thinking?' and the response would be '1994.' So it was an eye-opening experience just in terms of how far games have come since then. "Even so, Shodan was still a compelling character. And we were empowering players in the way we asked them to construct the story themselves. There were some wonderful aspects that we want to keep in System Shock 3, but not the UI!"

I asked Spector if, given that he worked on the first game but not the second, he feels a closer affinity to one than the other? "I like and respect the second one but it was significantly different from the first," he replied. "I'm constantly struggling with how much we adhere to the tenets of the first one and how much do we adhere to the tenets of the second one. The second game was a much more traditional role-playing game than the first one. It's a mental struggle for me about which direction I want to go in. I will admit that."

He wants the team to bring back the spirit ofSystem Shockand the aspects that made it so influential to later game developers: "20 years ago we were building open-ended, solve-it-yourself kind of games. We used to look at each other and say 'why isn't everyone making games like this?' Now, many more people are making games like that, so of course it's harder to stand out. You have to innovate and I'm confident that we will. We're following in the footsteps of the people who followed in our footsteps. We've got some surprises for people."

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:12 PM

Intertwining the stories of the previous major characters with the background of SS3 is a brave move. 

But I have a theory in the discussion of the evolution of SHODAN in this new game, SHODAN is learning from the mistakes of herself and those around her and integrating their stories into her own matrix.  So rather than fresh logs, as some suspect, you'll take the info from hacking SHODAN as the hacking returns.

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

It's been a while for an update on System Shock 3, but it appears Starbreeze Entertainment have taken up Otherside and injected $12 million into the System Shock 3 project....

http://news.cision.c...ock--3,c2214464

Interesting move, but also good news as it means the project is now on!

Grae
  • Grae

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by Grae, A week ago.

^ :rah:

Between this, the SS1 remake and the SS2-inspired Prey reboot, we should get a nice dose of 'Shock somehow.

I love SS2 and rank it well above all the BioShocks, even tho I first played it nearly a decade late, after BS1. Haven't got around to SS1 yet, as it wasn't on GOG till relatively recently and I'm a bit more skeptical of how it has aged. But I'll give it a try one of these days, as I've heard good things and I'd like to compare it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users