• Mister Pink, Luna 51 and MangledCrow like this

DavideMitra
  • DavideMitra

Player Hater

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:15 AM

I don't have a favorite singer.

However, I only appreciate singers that try to send an important message to the people.

If I must say an artist's name, maybe it could be Slick Rick "the ruler" (I remember great songs like Children's Story, Teenage Love, etc: they help people to grow up).

Braulioaej
  • Braulioaej

_

• Van Society
  • Portugal
  • Best Certified Crew 2016 [Van Society]
    GTAF Time Trials New Year Champion 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

It's hard to pick, but probably Kavinsky or Tristam.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Я твой слуг

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:52 AM

yeah I don't like the concept of picking a 'favorite' anything.

I have a deep connection to many different types of music depending on the mood or my feelings what's going on in my life. my 'favorite' right now will change in about 2 hours. favorites from high school are still favorites but for very different reasons than favorites I've had as an adult. if you can say that you have just 1 favorite artist you're likely a boring person ;)

it's like, where would you even begin?

I listen to so many different styles of music it's literally no fair to pick a favorite, let alone compare them.

I can honestly say that my favorite anything ever is Donald Fagen/Steely Dan, without having to stop and think. I have many that I love, but Dan/Fagen is light years ahead. It's not fair to assume that therefore I as a whole am boring. 

I can totally see you as a Steely Dan guy! :D

• Marwin likes this

Marwin
  • Marwin

mr quick has flown from the cosmic zoo

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:35 AM Edited by Marwin, 03 February 2016 - 11:44 AM.

Oh man, don't get me started. Completely timeless music after Don & Walt kicked everyone else out of the band. 

If you do nothing else, please listen at 3:57 ;_; ;_; How can music be so beautiful? ;_; ;_; 

I bring that song up because it sounds groovy as hell but is actually INSANELY complex. You just can't plank that sh*t. 

Another thing I love is the exquisite lyrics( ;_; ) written by the duo. This song will forever be my anthem:

(please listen to it on spotify as the youtube quality does it no justice) 

"You call me a fool

You say it's a crazy scheme

This one's for real

I already bought the dream

So useless to ask me why

Throw a kiss and say goodbye

I'll make it this time

I'm ready to cross that fine line

(Chorus)

Learned to work the saxophone

I, I play just what I feel

Drink Scotch whiskey all night long

And die behind the wheel

They got a name for the winners in the world

I, I want a name when I lose ;_; ;_; ;_; ;_; 

They call Alabama the Crimson Tide

Call me Deacon Blues"

;_; ;_;

From my final... uh, project? (Used a school semester to prepare this presentation that would be the basis for your entire grade or something) the list of musicians used on the album where Deacon Blues is featured, Aja:

AzafT85.png

(Side note: Fagen used an almost identical lineup for his 1982 solo debut, "The Nightfly", which is also a timeless and great album) 

From the song "Peg" also on Aja, my best estimation of Michal McDonald's overdubbed backing vocals:

igQ9ktb.png

It's just so masterful. Everything is written to perfection, yet it's groovy and catchy as hell. 

Man, I love Steely Dan.

e: check this out!

I found this unused gem in the (unprotected B-) ) archives of L Franke, an audio engineer who I suspect deleted the original recording of "The Second Arrangement" by accident. This is an attempt at re-recording it, the song was later scrapped. A copy based off of the 79th cassette copy of the initial master tapes(which were deleted by an unnamed junior engineer(l franke would've been a junior at the time)) is also floating around youtube for comparison. 

Anyway, just listen to how nice it sounds. The sound is impeccable. 

http://lfranke.com/fb3/MonitorMix.mp3

• Mister Pink, RedDagger, MikeMyth and 2 others like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Я твой слуг

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:02 PM

Having a listen now :D Sounds great.. Will continue on listening to them when I get the chance. Thanks for reminding me of them!

I remember I was going on a binge last year to listen to bands I may have overlooked. I know my dad used to have some Donald Fagen and some Steely Dan CDs lying around but I never ventured. Trying to find the album I was listening to last year. It was very enjoyable. I think it was Pretzel Logic. 

Do It Again always reminds me of the song "Woodstock" performed by Crosby Stills & Nash. Both great tracks with similar vocal effects. 

Marwin
  • Marwin

mr quick has flown from the cosmic zoo

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

"Do it again" is a great song. Given the functional harmonics (1 & 4-5-6 on the chorus) I suspect it is largely the work of Denny Dias, whose musical background is less "sophisticated" than that of Don & Walt. It's not unlikely that he was inspired by the CS&N song. 

• Mister Pink likes this

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

I'm lost at sea, don't bother me.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:42 PM Edited by MikeMyth, 03 February 2016 - 09:46 PM.

I'm surprised Led Zeppelin hasn't had but a single mention all throughout this thread, don't think I've seen the Beatles either. Both will always be some of my favorites, but I honestly think the Beatles is overrated. I hate how everyone always compares bands to the Beatles as if they are the highest standard any artist can be held too.

Led Zeppelin is one of the most unique bands to have ever existed, tbh. They're so different from any other artist, but in all the right ways. There's quite a few songs that just astound me-- not only because of how beautiful they are but because of the fact that there's nothing quite like them. One of my favorite songs by them would be a prime example of this.

• Mister Pink and Skeever like this

Android
  • Android

Oreo

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:04 AM

My all time favorite band has to be Queen. It's the first band I ever felt that "connection" to.. I started out by listening to most of their 80's work, like The Game, The Miracle, and Hot Space. I was instantly hooked and I knew I didn't just like this band anymore, I really loved it all. The music, the band members, their style - everything! So I go on to listen to some of their original work, like A Night At The Opera and so on, found great songs there too. It's as if their greatest hits were never ending, like there was an unlimited supply. Out of all the albums I've heard, though, Innuendo is my most favorite one. It kinda defines what 90's rock was. It has heavy and loud tracks that's also mixed with their usual Queen style.

Some of my favorite tracks:

So many other bands that I love as well.. such as Arctic Monkeys, David Bowie, The Weeknd, Big Data, Run The Jewels, and a few others.

• Mister Pink and Queen like this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:20 AM

I've got to say it's so cool to have a fellow Queen fan here on the forums.  :^:

Innuendo is my favorite Queen album as well. It was made by a band with limited time. You can really feel the passionate drive to create a masterpiece throughout every track. And yes, even Dililah, which is one of the strangest Queen songs ever recorded. God do I love that kitty cat guitar solo!

• Darth Plagueis, Android and Sweet Bellic like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Я твой слуг

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:32 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 04 February 2016 - 10:32 AM.

I'm surprised Led Zeppelin hasn't had but a single mention all throughout this thread, don't think I've seen the Beatles either. Both will always be some of my favorites, but I honestly think the Beatles is overrated. I hate how everyone always compares bands to the Beatles as if they are the highest standard any artist can be held too.

Led Zeppelin is one of the most unique bands to have ever existed, tbh. They're so different from any other artist, but in all the right ways. There's quite a few songs that just astound me-- not only because of how beautiful they are but because of the fact that there's nothing quite like them. One of my favorite songs by them would be a prime example of this.

Physical Graffiti was my first Led Zeppelin album and what an album.

10 Years Gone is possibly one of the greatest rock songs of all time for me. Its atmospheric, oozes cool, emotion (but not cheese). That solo! Such a beautiful melodic one. 

• MikeMyth likes this

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:15 AM

So many other bands that I love as well.. such as Arctic Monkeys, David Bowie, The Weeknd, Big Data, Run The Jewels, and a few others.

I love AM as well, although I don't listen to them much anymore. Humbug is a great album, Dance Little Liars is what got me into them.

@Mister Pink, I totally agree. There simply isn't any sound like it. I like Stairway to Heaven, but I think it's hugely overrated. Constantly deemed as the greatest Classic Rock song of all time. I think its moreso because of the solo than it is the lyrics. I personally rank Ten Years Gone over Stairway to Heaven actually.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Я твой слуг

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

Run the Jewels are pretty good. 

@MikeMyth: Yes, I hate when people make any sensationalist.. "this is the best".. statements or even trying to rank art like that. Yes, STH is extraordinarily good. I mean there wasn't many tracks like it before (except for some of the chord progressions that Jimmy nicked from someone else, lol) but in terms of how it's produced, song structure and overall power.

It's interesting because Led Zeppelin never release one single. 

But Ten Years Gone is unique and special. One the bands truly original tracks. For all the plagiarizing Zeppelin are accused of, I think tracks that are completely original stand taller than even the most plagiarized track. They didn't have any issues with writing original stuff. They just did because they liked it. Like Beastie Boys might sample Zeppelin or Johnny Cash. They didn't need to, they all played insturments, they all wrote original music.. but they could sample/borrow/plagiarize, so they did. 

My only gripe is that they didn't give credit were credit was due. 

• MikeMyth likes this

Jehannum
  • Jehannum

PS4

• Members
  • England

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

I've never got tired of mid-80s Metallica. Whenever I can't think what I'm in the mood to listen to in the car I grab either Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning. I see metal as going downhill from that point on.

However, my favourite artist of all time is Kate Bush, particularly her work from Hounds of Love until the present, which is many worlds away from her early singles that everybody knows (Wuthering Heights, Wow, Babooshka).

• Mister Pink and Sweet Bellic like this

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:07 PM

Run the Jewels are pretty good. 

@MikeMyth: Yes, I hate when people make any sensationalist.. "this is the best".. statements or even trying to rank art like that. Yes, STH is extraordinarily good. I mean there wasn't many tracks like it before (except for some of the chord progressions that Jimmy nicked from someone else, lol) but in terms of how it's produced, song structure and overall power.

It's interesting because Led Zeppelin never release one single. 

But Ten Years Gone is unique and special. One the bands truly original tracks. For all the plagiarizing Zeppelin are accused of, I think tracks that are completely original stand taller than even the most plagiarized track. They didn't have any issues with writing original stuff. They just did because they liked it. Like Beastie Boys might sample Zeppelin or Johnny Cash. They didn't need to, they all played insturments, they all wrote original music.. but they could sample/borrow/plagiarize, so they did. 

My only gripe is that they didn't give credit were credit was due. 

I totally forgot about that actually. Didn't they take material from some small time band that opened for them or something?

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:10 PM Edited by Queen, 04 February 2016 - 10:12 PM.

I've never got tired of mid-80s Metallica. Whenever I can't think what I'm in the mood to listen to in the car I grab either Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning. I see metal as going downhill from that point on.

Same here. Thankfully they returned to form with Death Magnetic, but then that Lou Reed album...ugh. Dafuq was that sh*t?

But anyway, this was my favorite Metallica song for the longest time. Not sure if I have a favorite anymore.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

A Dancing Shell

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:16 PM Edited by Vanilla Shake, 09 February 2016 - 03:23 PM.

Can't really name anyone as a "favorite" anymore as over the years that would fluctuate depending on where I was in life and my mentality at the time. I can however make a list of artists whose work has had a definite impact on me and my own songwriting:

Pink Floyd

Queens of the Stone Age

Led Zeppelin

David Bowie

Lush (not big on 'Lovelife' though)

Stone Temple Pilots

Blur

The Eagles (though I don't like what they put out after their reunion - just can't get into it)

Green Day (the only pop-punk band I can stomach)

Billy Joel

Aesop Rock

Pulp

Dire Straits

The Doors

XTC

Stereophonics

The Smashing Pumpkins (most of their post-2000 work sucks imo)

Oasis

Nas

Modest Mouse

Duran Duran

Arctic Monkeys (however I feel that 'AM' blew, except for maybe 2 songs at best)

Queen

Gorillaz

Them Crooked Vultures

The Rolling Stones

The Verve

Stone Roses

More recently I've been finding myself listening to a lot from these artists:

Tame Impala (probably my current favorite band, if you can call it that)

Beach House

Toro y Moi

Neon Indian

Childish Gambino

Melody's Echo Chamber

Little Dragon

Jagwar Ma

Pond

Ty Segall

Kendrick Lamar

I dig a lot of stuff.

• Mister Pink, Testarossa, Skeever and 1 other like this

Loosestring
  • Loosestring

Paranoid Android

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:44 AM

Always hard to pick when you're a music buff, but the most special one for me is Green Day with no doubt. Green Day was my first serious step to listening rock genre on this still-going-on period. Yeah before that, there was little Metallica, Sepultura, Blind Guardian I've listened but Green Day was the actual trigger. Got introduced to the band after bumping on American Idiot, that was the year that I was going to take the university exam. Ever since then I'm a huge fan of them. American Idiot is my favourite album, closely followed by 21st Century Breakdown and Dookie. However, regardless I always find the smooth music I'm looking for at any Green Day album; even I enjoy a number of songs from Uno... Dos... Tré! although the trilogy harshly bashed by a majority of fans). To think, Green Day can be listed as one of my inital steps to punk rock (as a matter of fact, I consider Green Day more "alternative rock" than "punk rock" but there are times when they're punkish) after some homelander punk rock bands. In short, Green Day will always have a special place for me... even though I don't listen them as much as I used to.

I'm not that picky when it comes to music, I'll listen whatever I like; the same goes for the rock genre as well but punk rock is my most favourite genre out of all. Classic they are but The Clash, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, RamonesStiff Little Fingers, Rancid, The Zeros, Dead Boys all are pretty important for me.

Apart from punk, also I specifically love glam metal scene, with Mötley Crüe and Poison being my favourite glam bands. Also Bon Jovi, Quiet Riot, Def Leppard, Ratt, Judas Priest, Twisted Sister are few honorable mentions. Also, to note, I'm pretty much of a Steel Panther fan as far as I can say.

• Vanilla Shake and Skeever like this

Darth Plagueis
  • Darth Plagueis

I SHALL RISE AGAIN

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:36 PM

I have many favorite artists, including, but certainly not limited to, Foo Fighters, Thin Lizzy, Ben Folds Five, The Darkness, Foxy Shazam, Pyotr Illich Tchaikovsky, and The Wallflowers. But only one band has been able to sweep me off my feet.

At first, it was the music. Over a decade ago, my buddies and I were playing Goldeneye while listening to the radio. Bohemian Rhapsody popped on the radio, and I asked them who was playing. They said Queen, but I didn't think much of it. But then several days later we were doing the same thing, but this time We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions popped on the radio. I asked the same question, and they replied with the same answer.

I was hooked.

How could the same band sound so different? That night, I begged my parents to take me out so I could buy an album. From there, I watched the music videos, watched dozens upon dozens of interviews, doodled the Queen crest during classes, collected as many T-Shirts as possible, and quite practically lived and breathed their music. For a solid 5 years (maybe more), I'd listen to at least an albums worth of their music per day. It was an obsession, really.

In recent years, I've slowed down, but it's no longer just the music. Upon learning about Freddie Mercury's illness, and the way he faced death with a grin on his face, and a microphone in his hand, I became inspired. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him. When times get rough, I often think about what he would have done, and as strange and unhealthy as it sounds, his motto in life helps guide me. As for the other members of the band, I look up to Brian May because he's more than just an guitarist, composer, astrophysicist, animal rights activist, and author. He's a selfless man who considers himself no better than anyone else. As a musician, I'm astounded by Roger Taylor, who is a multi-instrumentalist, and hit song writer, with a knack for being a lady's man. And perhaps most importantly, I can relate with John Deacon, who is a quiet and reserved man. Quite frankly, he's one of the most underrated bass players in rock music (but yeah, I guess you could say I'm biased).

Sometimes, people ask me why I like the band. I could say everything I've already said, but it would leave out the very reason I've never grown bored of the music. Little do some people know, but Queen has composed in a wide variety of styles. They've dabbled in psuedo-baroque, gospel, folk/country, opera (Freddie Mercury composed an album with opera diva Monsteratt Caballe), vaudeville, disco/funk, Latin, psychedelic rock, big band/jazz (all done on guitars, of course), rockabilly, flamenco, heavy metal, punk, sacred music (on their first album), etc, etc., etc....

F*ck. I wrote a book. Congratulations to anyone who actually read my post in its entirety. Here are two of my favorites, that demonstrate their diversity.

giphy.gif

Bravo Queen, that's how you write a book. :p

I love Queen too.

• BatFerYou, Queen, MangledCrow and 1 other like this

MangledCrow
  • MangledCrow

Is Just Your Average Fox

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:20 PM Edited by MangledCrow, 05 February 2016 - 07:25 PM.

I'd have to say my most favorite artists are Crowded House and Gorillaz, you can't go wrong with vocalist brothers Neil Finn & Tim Finn, drummer Paul Hester (rest in peace dude  :cry: ) and bass guitar Nick Seymour. as for Gorillaz, vocalist 2-D (Damon Albarn), bass gutiar Murdoc Niccals, guitar player Noodle and drummer Russel Hobbs.

Although i really do love these artists also

AC/DC

Belinda Carlise

Curtis Mayfield

Daft Punk

Faith No More

INXS

Men At Work

M83

Outkast

Queen

R.E.M

The Rolling Stones

Rush

SebAstian 

Tears For Fears

Toro Y Moi

Tom Cochrane & Red Rider

But anyways here are my most favorite songs from my favorite artists ;)

• Darth Plagueis, Vanilla Shake and Queen like this

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:42 AM

Aesop Rock

i used to like you man  :angry:

• Vanilla Shake likes this

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

A Dancing Shell

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:42 PM

Aesop Rock

I rarely listen to anything by him nowadays if that's any consolation. Felt I should include him though as he was one of my favorite rappers during my formative teenage years.

SupaDoopa
  • SupaDoopa

Guwop is my hero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:48 AM Edited by SupaDoopa, 07 February 2016 - 07:48 AM.

Screen%20Shot%202013-10-03%20at%2010.23.

Testarossa
  • Testarossa

head dudebro of dudebro energy

• The Connection
  • Mexico
  • Worst Ferrari
    Best Concept DLC 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:49 AM Edited by Testarossa, 08 February 2016 - 07:11 AM.

Really long list incoming and in no order whatsoever:

• LCD Soundsystem
  • Tame Impala
  • Neon Indian
  • Arctic Monkeys
  • Metronomy
  • Pink Floyd
  • Queen
  • The Rolling Stones
  • The Beatles
  • David Bowie
  • Queens of the Stone Age
  • Hot Chip
  • Gorillaz
  • Blur
  • Madeon
  • Daft Punk
  • Kavinsky
  • Justice
  • Tiga
  • The Weeknd
  • Bloc Party
  • The Who
  • Phil Collins
  • Mister Pink, OH NO and Vanilla Shake like this

unbid
  • unbid

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow

• Zaibatsu
  • Indonesia

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:30 AM Edited by unbid, 08 February 2016 - 05:31 AM.

I don't have specific favorite artists since I always like specific songs from any artists, but if I have to pick, those would be:

- Jamiroquai

- Blur/Gorillaz

- Soulwax

• Mister Pink, Vanilla Shake and Jeansowaty like this

Anna Deadly
  • Anna Deadly

Bipolar Bitch.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:12 AM Edited by IceColdFrostMT, 09 February 2016 - 06:20 PM.

My favourite artist is and always will be Mariah Carey. ♡♡
mariah-carey-benefit-arrival-1998.jpg

I USED to like Beyonce and Rihanna but... Beyonce took a page out of Miley's book and I don't like it and her ego at all and I just saw Rihanna's anti-diary video and it's just messed up, can't believe I used to like her.
  • Mister Pink likes this

FlyingRat
  • FlyingRat

sh*tting on Peoples Heads in Liberty City

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

Jason Derulo

Sean Paul

Flo Rida

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:45 PM

Aesop Rock

I rarely listen to anything by him nowadays if that's any consolation. Felt I should include him though as he was one of my favorite rappers during my formative teenage years.

haha no worries mate i think a lot of us went through a small def jux phase..jesus looking back so much of it was awful. always hated aesop rocks faux intellectual sh*t though and then some of his fans pushed my buttons online, so I went all out hating..i have a funny story actually but ive prob told it before so eh

At least we got the cold vein out of that era mind..come to think of it i still havent heard the recent can ox album

• Phil Collins

yeahh baby

• Vanilla Shake likes this

Sweet Bellic
  • Sweet Bellic

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Finland

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:27 PM Edited by GTA4LIFE9000, 09 February 2016 - 02:28 PM.

My favorite artists

David Bowie R.I.P :(

Lemmy Kilmister R.I.P :(

Queen

Phil Collins

Metallica

Acdc 

Thin Lizzy

Led Zeppelin

Iron Maiden

The Smashing Pumpkins

• Vanilla Shake, Loosestring, MikeMyth and 1 other like this

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

A Dancing Shell

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

Aesop Rock

haha no worries mate i think a lot of us went through a small def jux phase..jesus looking back so much of it was awful. always hated aesop rocks faux intellectual sh*t though and then some of his fans pushed my buttons online, so I went all out hating..i have a funny story actually but ive prob told it before so eh

At least we got the cold vein out of that era mind..come to think of it i still havent heard the recent can ox album

Oh yeah, there's really no looking back on that with rose tinted glasses. If anything with Aesop I enjoyed the beats way more than his lyrics, and I guess I was just attracted to how "different" he sounded compared to most other rap. Only songs I really still like by him are Day Light, Nightlight and Alchemy. Don't think I've heard your Aesop story before though.

And I honestly forgot all about Cannibal Ox. Iron Galaxy still does it for me. :^:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users