Favorite Artist?

99 replies to this topic
MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

I'm lost at sea, don't bother me.

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:47 PM

Didn't see anything like this created yet, but if it is feel free to take it down.

What's everyone's favorite musical artist? Whether it be a band or singer, what artist could you never get tired of?
  • Cameron Star likes this

Cameron Star
  • Cameron Star

Rock my socks.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

I've been in love with Oasis for a long time. I can listen to them whatever the mood I am in. I was upset when they split up but I still listen to their solo albums.

My favourite song of all time is Live Forever that they did in 1994 when I was only a year old.

• Mister Pink, Banks. and Skeever like this

Skeever
  • Skeever

The nation-state remains the true foundation for happiness.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:45 PM

Fleetwood Mac.

• Mister Pink, Darth Plagueis and MikeMyth like this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:32 PM

Probably a toss up between Burzum and The Cure.

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:10 PM

Fleetwood Mac.

I love Fleetwood Mac!  :lol: Definitely one of my favorite bands! 

As of right now though, my favorite band is Radiohead:

• Skeever likes this

GtaLegend15
  • GtaLegend15

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:44 AM

Montana of 300

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

Big Homie

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:00 AM Edited by gfen, 08 December 2015 - 01:01 AM.

Iron Maiden was the first band I ever really slavishly followed:

Although, my first thought/response to this was Einstuerzende Neubauten, and if I wouldn't have thought harder I would've gone with them:

• Darth Plagueis and Skeever like this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

The Golden Void speaks to me...

• Facade Corporation
  • Poland

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:04 AM

Depeche Mode.

• Mister Pink, MikeMyth and Android like this

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:13 PM

Prince Rogers Nelson

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:38 PM

It's difficult to say. I'll have to get back to you.
  • El Diablo, Mister Pink, Darth Plagueis and 9 others like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Computerwelt

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:33 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 29 December 2015 - 08:39 AM.

I tend to obsess of a good musician I love. Starting with the most recent.. I'll say I've had all their albums at bought at least a tshirt! :p

Right now it's Boards of Canada.. previously..

Kraftwerk

AphexTwin

Depeche Mode

Led Zeppelin

The Doors

Beastie Boys

I keep going back to the Beastie Boys though. First band I got in to by myself when I was 12 or 13.

• Android likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:54 PM

yeah I don't like the concept of picking a 'favorite' anything.

I have a deep connection to many different types of music depending on the mood or my feelings what's going on in my life. my 'favorite' right now will change in about 2 hours. favorites from high school are still favorites but for very different reasons than favorites I've had as an adult. if you can say that you have just 1 favorite artist you're likely a boring person ;)

it's like, where would you even begin?

I listen to so many different styles of music it's literally no fair to pick a favorite, let alone compare them.

• Mister Pink, Shenmue18, MikeMyth and 1 other like this

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

doing being totally out of control

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:28 PM

haven't got one

Darth Plagueis
  • Darth Plagueis

I SHALL RISE AGAIN

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:04 PM

In no particular order...

Michael Jackson

Bon Jovi (The classic Hits)

Van Halen

The Doors

Huey Lewis And The News

Human League

Queen

Tears For Fear

Black Sabbath

Peter Frampton

Pink Floyd

Prince

Iron Maiden

Chicago

Jimi Hendrix

Led Zeppelin

Nirvana
And the list goes on no favorite(s) tbh.
  • Skeever, icecoldkilla1467, Sweet Bellic and 1 other like this

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

In no particular order...

Michael Jackson

Bon Jovi (The classic Hits)

Van Halen

The Doors

Huey Lewis And The News

Human League

Queen

Tears For Fear

Black Sabbath

Peter Frampton

Pink Floyd

Prince

Iron Maiden

Chicago

Jimi Hendrix

Led Zeppelin

Nirvana
And the list goes on no favorite(s) tbh.

All great choices. I'm surprised Led Zeppelin didn't make your list?

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:38 PM

I'd like to say that I don't really have one, but yeah, it's in my signature, The Beastie Boys, Mark Ronson(although he mostly produces), Duran Duran, Kreeps, Les Savy Fav, Dub Pistols. Too many to actually list.

Cameron Star
  • Cameron Star

Rock my socks.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:39 PM

How can you not have a favourite band?

Onett
  • Onett

Number nine, number nine, number nine...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:49 PM

The Beastie Boys, Pavement and The Olivia Tremor Control.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:16 AM

How can you not have a favourite band?

Because I can't have just one.
  • El Diablo, Mister Pink and Onett like this

mr quick
  • mr quick

i've been on the run but i've done my time

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:58 PM Edited by Marwin, 12 December 2015 - 09:06 PM.

yeah I don't like the concept of picking a 'favorite' anything.

I have a deep connection to many different types of music depending on the mood or my feelings what's going on in my life. my 'favorite' right now will change in about 2 hours. favorites from high school are still favorites but for very different reasons than favorites I've had as an adult. if you can say that you have just 1 favorite artist you're likely a boring person ;)

it's like, where would you even begin?

I listen to so many different styles of music it's literally no fair to pick a favorite, let alone compare them.

I can honestly say that my favorite anything ever is Donald Fagen/Steely Dan, without having to stop and think. I have many that I love, but Dan/Fagen is light years ahead. It's not fair to assume that therefore I as a whole am boring. 

• Mister Pink likes this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:13 PM

my 'favorite' right now will change in about 2 hours.

Well, my favourite isn't necessarily one that I'll want to be listening to all the time - as you say it changes a lot which artist I'll specifically want to listen to at any one time, but my favourite is the one I simply like the most. Even if it doesn't fit my mood at the time I can still listen to it and think it's nicer than what I want to listen to.

Of course, that doesn't mean it'll apply to everyone :p

Oh, for the thread my favourite is Elbow. I can't beat 'em.
  • mr quick likes this

EarthGaia
  • EarthGaia

Beyond the Ultraworld

• The Yakuza
  • Netherlands
  • Contribution Award [Music]

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:47 PM

Portishead 4 life, since my childhood, i've been into trip hop and subgenres:

• Mister Pink likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:26 PM

I have many favorite artists, including, but certainly not limited to, Foo Fighters, Thin Lizzy, Ben Folds Five, The Darkness, Foxy Shazam, Pyotr Illich Tchaikovsky, and The Wallflowers. But only one band has been able to sweep me off my feet.

At first, it was the music. Over a decade ago, my buddies and I were playing Goldeneye while listening to the radio. Bohemian Rhapsody popped on the radio, and I asked them who was playing. They said Queen, but I didn't think much of it. But then several days later we were doing the same thing, but this time We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions popped on the radio. I asked the same question, and they replied with the same answer.

I was hooked.

How could the same band sound so different? That night, I begged my parents to take me out so I could buy an album. From there, I watched the music videos, watched dozens upon dozens of interviews, doodled the Queen crest during classes, collected as many T-Shirts as possible, and quite practically lived and breathed their music. For a solid 5 years (maybe more), I'd listen to at least an albums worth of their music per day. It was an obsession, really.

In recent years, I've slowed down, but it's no longer just the music. Upon learning about Freddie Mercury's illness, and the way he faced death with a grin on his face, and a microphone in his hand, I became inspired. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him. When times get rough, I often think about what he would have done, and as strange and unhealthy as it sounds, his motto in life helps guide me. As for the other members of the band, I look up to Brian May because he's more than just an guitarist, composer, astrophysicist, animal rights activist, and author. He's a selfless man who considers himself no better than anyone else. As a musician, I'm astounded by Roger Taylor, who is a multi-instrumentalist, and hit song writer, with a knack for being a lady's man. And perhaps most importantly, I can relate with John Deacon, who is a quiet and reserved man. Quite frankly, he's one of the most underrated bass players in rock music (but yeah, I guess you could say I'm biased).

Sometimes, people ask me why I like the band. I could say everything I've already said, but it would leave out the very reason I've never grown bored of the music. Little do some people know, but Queen has composed in a wide variety of styles. They've dabbled in psuedo-baroque, gospel, folk/country, opera (Freddie Mercury composed an album with opera diva Monsteratt Caballe), vaudeville, disco/funk, Latin, psychedelic rock, big band/jazz (all done on guitars, of course), rockabilly, flamenco, heavy metal, punk, sacred music (on their first album), etc, etc., etc....

F*ck. I wrote a book. Congratulations to anyone who actually read my post in its entirety. Here are two of my favorites, that demonstrate their diversity.

• Darth Plagueis, Android, BatFerYou and 2 others like this

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:11 AM

I don't really have a favorite tbh, just artists I like to listen to. I mean, I guess I don't get tired of listening to ozzy, but I wouldn't say he's my favourite.

I like to make a small collection of the better songs in my complete collection so I'll just name some of the artists and, for the hell of it, I'll link a music video.

Spoiler

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:27 AM

I have many favorite artists, including, but certainly not limited to, Foo Fighters, Thin Lizzy, Ben Folds Five, The Darkness, Foxy Shazam, Pyotr Illich Tchaikovsky, and The Wallflowers. But only one band has been able to sweep me off my feet.

At first, it was the music. Over a decade ago, my buddies and I were playing Goldeneye while listening to the radio. Bohemian Rhapsody popped on the radio, and I asked them who was playing. They said Queen, but I didn't think much of it. But then several days later we were doing the same thing, but this time We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions popped on the radio. I asked the same question, and they replied with the same answer.

I was hooked.

How could the same band sound so different? That night, I begged my parents to take me out so I could buy an album. From there, I watched the music videos, watched dozens upon dozens of interviews, doodled the Queen crest during classes, collected as many T-Shirts as possible, and quite practically lived and breathed their music. For a solid 5 years (maybe more), I'd listen to at least an albums worth of their music per day. It was an obsession, really.

In recent years, I've slowed down, but it's no longer just the music. Upon learning about Freddie Mercury's illness, and the way he faced death with a grin on his face, and a microphone in his hand, I became inspired. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him. When times get rough, I often think about what he would have done, and as strange and unhealthy as it sounds, his motto in life helps guide me. As for the other members of the band, I look up to Brian May because he's more than just an guitarist, composer, astrophysicist, animal rights activist, and author. He's a selfless man who considers himself no better than anyone else. As a musician, I'm astounded by Roger Taylor, who is a multi-instrumentalist, and hit song writer, with a knack for being a lady's man. And perhaps most importantly, I can relate with John Deacon, who is a quiet and reserved man. Quite frankly, he's one of the most underrated bass players in rock music (but yeah, I guess you could say I'm biased).

Sometimes, people ask me why I like the band. I could say everything I've already said, but it would leave out the very reason I've never grown bored of the music. Little do some people know, but Queen has composed in a wide variety of styles. They've dabbled in psuedo-baroque, gospel, folk/country, opera (Freddie Mercury composed an album with opera diva Monsteratt Caballe), vaudeville, disco/funk, Latin, psychedelic rock, big band/jazz (all done on guitars, of course), rockabilly, flamenco, heavy metal, punk, sacred music (on their first album), etc, etc., etc....

F*ck. I wrote a book. Congratulations to anyone who actually read my post in its entirety. Here are two of my favorites, that demonstrate their diversity.

https://www.youtube....h?v=LvB2MnIIdMw

https://www.youtube....h?v=ELu-ySXMAng

I liked that, lol. And the best artists are the ones who don't abide by a norm. And by that I mean a certain sound, if you will. Where you could say this is "x" even if you haven't heard that song from "x". Queen is definitely an example of the opposite of this. Similar to one of my favorite bands, Radiohead, it's like every album is experimenting with a different style, or genre even. It always impresses me to hear artists whom you can't really say are a specific genre because of their wide range of styles.
  • Queen likes this

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:23 PM

It's probably no secret that I love Lana Del Rey. She's a modern artist but she has this classic vibe to her.

MessedUpPro
  • MessedUpPro

I've been drinking green tea all goddamn day!

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:38 AM

My favorite artists are mostly 90's alternative artists. I'm not quite sure why that happened, as I was born in the 90's, not raised in it. Either way, Nirvana is my absolute favorite band. My other favorite artists include Beck, The Smashing Pumpkins, and Cage the Elephant. Love me some Rob Zombie as well. And Butthole Surfers. Lot's of bands, man. But Nirvana is at the top of the list, no doubt.

• Mister Pink and Skeever like this

Wolf of Badenoch
  • Wolf of Badenoch

Labore et Scientia

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

Pink Floyd, Philip Glass, Brian Eno, Aphex Twin & Tangerine Dream.  

• Mister Pink and Jeansowaty like this

smoothie wolf
  • smoothie wolf

dirt heater tea

• The Yakuza
  • Armenia
  • Best Timbs 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:14 AM

Current favorite is Knife Party

As well as Daft Punk

Along with Diplo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6dWxIR_HKY

and also Noisia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz_OgmkbCXg

Hmm....lifetime favorite band would have to be System of a Down. Growing up in Los Angeles, finding a hard rock/metal band with an all-Armenian cast like me was amazing. Their music carried me through high school and I still religiously follow their exploits to this day. All their albums are bingeable and I can listen to each one in its entirety all day long. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se6aUoYEyvg

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna win!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:11 AM

My peeps John Legend and Sam Smith:

And my gurl Alicia Keys:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users