Photo

Is Ryder really that bad?

82 replies to this topic
nickvick197
  • nickvick197

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:26 PM Edited by nickvick197, 15 November 2015 - 07:42 PM.

I've been on the San Andreas forums and I noticed a lot of animosity towards Ryder for many. Now I know that people have their own opinions and I know not everyone is going to like the same person, and I can respect that, but I feel that people just exaggerate how bad he really is. I mean sure he was a bit of an asshole who insulted CJ at times, but does that really make him any worse than Pulaski or, say, Catalina? All Ryder's really done to CJ was just make rude remarks towards him. His brusque attitude actually made him more cohesive to the 90s ghetto theme of the whole game. Really, his only true crime of the game was betraying the gang. I also feel that everyone exaggerate his relationship with CJ as if he was always CJ's enemy. I mean sure CJ did get a little annoyed of Ryder sometimes, but that doesn't mean he hated him. He wouldn't have felt bad about killing him if he did (see the cutscene of "Yay-ka-boom-boom"). From what I've seen in the storyline, CJ and Ryder had more of a love-hate relationship with each other. You know, kinda similar to Brian and Stewie from Family Guy or Dan and Chris from Dan Vs. They were bickering at times, and maybe CJ wasn't as close to Ryder as he was to Smoke, but CJ and Ryder were still friends nonetheless since they both had a few laughs with each other, and Ryder actually gave CJ some credit in his missions. In other words, CJ and Ryder were vitriolic best buds, and out of all the relationships CJ had with the other characters, I thought his relationship with Ryder was the most complex out of them all and far more interesting. I would've loved to see CJ and Ryder together more often had Ryder not become a traitor. Overall, even though Ryder was a jerk throughout the beginning of the story (which is exactly what makes him a great character), I really don't think he's as bad as people exaggerate him to be, especially when you compare him to Pulaski or Catalina.

• B Dawg, Journey_95, confederatestatesgta and 11 others like this

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:40 PM

you know what, you got good point, ryder was little more worth what rockstar made out of him, they sorta rushed with him and btw did you know spirit science says that best friends always say something like "bad remarks" to eachother but they do it to make other handle their weaknesses towards strengths. Ryder was also kinda cool character and gave game it's vibe as you hinted, there is something about him that brings up atmosphere of grove street and the feeling of having real deal buddy! ;)

• B Dawg, Z i X, GTA_The_Series and 2 others like this

BlackSnow176
  • BlackSnow176

Cat in Shoes

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:20 PM Edited by BlackSnow176, 15 November 2015 - 11:20 PM.

I dislike Ryder for his awful missions more than anything else. He can be annoying, but nowhere near as bad as OG Loc.

Rocket Skates
  • Rocket Skates

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:33 PM

I dislike Ryder for his awful missions more than anything else. He can be annoying, but nowhere near as bad as OG Loc.

I thought Jeffrey was actually quite funny.

Robbing Uncle Sam was annoying though because I used to find using the forklift a pain in the snatch.

Predator
  • Predator

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:34 PM

Ryder was cool , i never liked Big Smoke 

CJ and Ryder had more of a love-hate relationship with each other. 

Ryder: Hey, man, what you want?

CJ: Seeing my homie. What's up with you?

Ryder: Yeah, homie, yeah yeah. It's good to see you back.

CJ: No homie love? No hug?

Ryder: Oh, for sure, for sure my nigga, my bad. What's crackin' with you?

R.I.P Ryder 

" Keep up , motherf*cker "

• Payne Killer, Honker1944, Videogames888 and 2 others like this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:34 PM

Yes he was. He was in cahoots with the loco cartel. That should tell you something.

Xing of Virtue
  • Xing of Virtue

Life makes no sense when fish are gay.

• BUSTED!
  • Antarctica

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:41 PM

Well yeah, he couldn't stop bragging about crashing the damn car again.

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

Neighborhood Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:38 AM

Well yeah, he couldn't stop bragging about crashing the damn car again.

As much bragging as the Gsf homies? "CJ you drive like a bitch!"
  • Honker1944 likes this

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Homeboy

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:18 AM

Ryder could have been cool if he didn't use drugs. He's funny sometimes, but for the most part an annoying idiot.

Someone said they didn't like Ryder's missions, but I like all of them.
"Ryder" is a short mission with some funny lines.
"Home Invasion" introduce the player to robberies.
It is fun to rob a train in "Catalyst", and having Ryder mounted on the back of the Picador.
In "Robbing Uncle Sam" I was able to use a forklift and load a truck, how cool isn't that?! I love it. And it gives GSF TEC-9 as a bonus.

In this first part of the game, I think Sweet's missions are the least fun, although he's the character I like the most. Ryder suck as a person, but I love his missions. I hate him as a character, but that doesn't mean he's bad for the game.
  • MrGrandis and SmokesWithCigs like this

thafablifee46
  • thafablifee46

punk ass bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:56 PM

Ryder is probably my all time favorite supporting character in any gta game. I would compare his relationship similar to Franklin and Lamar, where they insult eachother but its all love nonetheless. CJ rides out for Ryder just the same. I always felt growing up, Sweet and Smoke were best friends and then it was Ryder and CJ. Then when CJ fled Los Santos, Ryder probably felt betrayed in a way. Idk though, thats just my theory but Carl and Ryder were cool.
  • OG Viking, slimeball supreme, confederatestatesgta and 4 others like this

Boyz2Society
  • Boyz2Society

Rat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:43 AM

That's how I saw it. CJ and Ryder's relationship with each other was indeed love-hate. Sure Ryder wasn't exactly the most pleasant person in the game, but does that really matter? The way I see it, his blunt attitude is what made him a great and charismatic character.
  • Mitchel likes this

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:26 PM

I actually liked Ryder,he was a funny character,especially in his arguements with CJ (and some other characters).I sometimes even wish R* would keep him as a good guy and not get killed.

• B Dawg and Light Syde Riandy like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Death May Die

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:06 PM

Unlike Lamar, Ryder actually was cool and funny :p

• Payne Killer and GTAUrbanCamping like this

Jacek_K
  • Jacek_K

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:36 PM

I know that Ryder wasn't that bad, but he was fcked up on drugs and R* couldn't get him on CJs side at the end. His decisions and everything just went too far, so Ryder had to die.

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:35 AM Edited by SmokesWithCigs, 05 December 2015 - 11:39 AM.

Between big smoke and Ryder I would say rider had no love for cj what so ever. Big smoke was an end boss but he only did so because ten penny forced him to under ultimatum. I think Ryder would've been a hater regardless of the situation and he through himself in with the loco cartel working with jizzy b t bone Mendez and mike toreno which means he was a master mind. In that drive thru mission big smoke and Ryder was talking about the shooting incident that killed cj mom right in front of cj and sweets face and they were apart of that hit and sweet was the intended target. That's cold. That's like killing some one and showing up at the funeral. The op painted this picture that lance wasnt as bad as we make him to be. Op is a bad judge of character and is bad at reading people.
  • lil weasel and Osho like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

Don't take OP seriously. He's just a fake account like several in the past that I've reported, since all have one thing in common - To show how great Ryder is.
Someone is deeply in love with Ryder he / she just never stops making fake accounts to troll about Ryder, and people are still liking such posts.

For the topic, Like SmokesWithCigs perfectly summed it up.
Ryder is good as a character but as someone who I f*ckin' hate and that makes him better, but its absolutely wrong to say that he's not as bad as people exaggerate him to be.
I mean, I have presented so many in game segments to show that the asshole deserves all the hate he gets.
Even the GTA.wikia page seems clearly made up in ways that praise Ryder's personality more.
Some excerpts:
"Ryder is depicted as loud, wild, and unpredictable. He is known to go into rampages and always attempt the impossible. Ryder has a peerless mean streak and an extremely short temper, making him the loose cannon of the Grove Street Families. He also has delusions of grandeur and a possible Napoleon Complex, stemming from his short stature. He sees himself as a "genius" and thinks he is too intelligent for school. Furthermore, Ryder is also very brusque, as he rudely states his terse opinions of CJ since the latter's return to Los Santos and has the tendency to belittle him. Though Ryder is very passionate of the Grove Street Families, he is also easily convinced by Big Smoke to make a little cash despite the fact that it means turning on his own gang. Ryder's impulsive and wild attitude is possibly due to his drug addiction, for he is almost always seen holding a blunt in each cutscene he appears in. Though his history is unknown, it is implied that he was once a rebellious and belligerent child due to CJ saying in the mission Robbing Uncle Sam that he once beat up a teacher just for wearing purple, Ballas color"

The bold parts are what the trolls often repeat. Compare those parts with the Ryder's grandtheftwiki page and you wont find those similarities, because it stays true to the games scripts without forcing personal opinions about Ryders' greatness down peoples throats.
I mean, Its absolutely hilarious to compare Ryder with Pulaski, Catalina, etc to show how LESS BAD he is, than measure him for the things he does to CJ, and surely "All Ryder's really done to CJ was just make rude remarks towards him" is not the case here. He's done more than passing rude remarks. Its just not scripted to make it out as evident through cutscenes but meant to be understood at important points in the story.

Anyways, As far as Ryder's attitude goes, he is good for how he gets his characterization right, but in a way that he manages to make me hate him more than feeling bad about him and overlook everything that he did to CJ.

Mitchel
  • Mitchel

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:32 PM Edited by Mitchel, 07 December 2015 - 07:52 PM.

Between big smoke and Ryder I would say rider had no love for cj what so ever. Big smoke was an end boss but he only did so because ten penny forced him to under ultimatum. I think Ryder would've been a hater regardless of the situation and he through himself in with the loco cartel working with jizzy b t bone Mendez and mike toreno which means he was a master mind. In that drive thru mission big smoke and Ryder was talking about the shooting incident that killed cj mom right in front of cj and sweets face and they were apart of that hit and sweet was the intended target. That's cold. That's like killing some one and showing up at the funeral. The op painted this picture that lance wasnt as bad as we make him to be. Op is a bad judge of character and is bad at reading people.

Actually, if you watch the introduction, Ryder betrayed the gang because Big Smoke talked him into it. So Ryder is just as incapable of betraying the gang as Big Smoke is. While Ryder deserves to get killed for betraying the gang, he really isn't as bad outside of his betrayal. His blunt behavior towards CJ really stems from the latter leaving to LC five years prior to the game's story. Big Smoke and CJ were close while Ryder had more of a love-hate relationship for CJ and vice versa. The only thing that made him truly an enemy to CJ was when he became a traitor. People are always making Smoke seem like the good guy when in reality, both Smoke and Ryder deserve to die for their betrayal. Sure it wasn't Big Smoke's fault that he became a traitor either, but that still doesn't make him any more innocent. He's just as guilty as Ryder is for the betrayal. Also, CJ felt just as much remorse for killing Ryder as he did for Smoke according to the Yay-ka-boom-boom cutscene. He had love for both his childhood friends even though he wasn't as close to Ryder as he was to Smoke.

SaintsAndreas
  • SaintsAndreas

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:41 PM Edited by SaintsAndreas, 07 December 2015 - 09:41 PM.

Ryder was cool as a character, but as a person? Straight up bitch.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:17 PM Edited by Osho, 07 December 2015 - 11:21 PM.

Spoiler

Here ..another fake a/c created by OP just to say, 'I L U Ryder, you are the greatest'
Kid. Stop making fake accounts. I am used to detect you trolls reading your sh*t by now.
Crazy Ryder Lover.
Reported.

LL Cool L
  • LL Cool L

Living Healthy

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:54 AM

he reminds me of ab soul and eazy e

I liked him

• Mr.Bigshot likes this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

borger

• Members
  • GoSquared
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:57 AM

He's a dick, sure. But the water was f*cking with his head - and I doubt he had anything really against anyone. I don't hate him.
I theorise he only ever joined in on Big Smoke's gig because he wanted to get back at CJ for being such a f*cking busta all the time.
  • Mr.Bigshot likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:16 AM

He's a dick, sure. But the water was f*cking with his head - and I doubt he had anything really against anyone.

So, whatever he was smoking which in your opinion f*cked up with his head makes him immune from all criticisms of every bad act he did with the clear intention to look for his own gain, and furthernore forming an alliance with Big Smoke to sell drugs for his own selfish motives despite knowing that Sweet was against selling drugs?
You are also not going to blame him for planning an attack on Sweet but eventually killed Sweets mother, and all this while planning to ruin GS Families until CJ arrived and stood by his brother to finally bring GS back on his foot completely unaware of the the f*ckin' moles like Ryder, OG Loc, Big Smoke who he trusted and cared about the most, taking all of their abuses like a good homie; brother and friend.
You have zero clue about the story and the segments connected with him to realise what you are talking about here makes no sense.
Just assume, if I killed any one in your family whom I knew very closely, well planned with the intent of murdering him / her without being on drugs at the time of murder, then I guess it would not make a difference to you, and you would not blame me but because I am a drug addict and it f*cked up my brain, right???

I theorise he only ever joined in on Big Smoke's gig because he wanted to get back at CJ for being such a f*cking busta all the time.

Then what is your theory about planning a hit with Ballas against Sweet?
Is every thing about CJ a matter of being a busta and not busta to you in reaching to a conclusion for why certain things happened with CJ?
By your logic, CJ didn't kill the foreman in the mission Deconstruction at all. I mean, how can a busta kill someone, take over territories, and he f*ckin' can't stand a chance against Tenpenny in the end. Its all just theory.

Mr.Bigshot
  • Mr.Bigshot

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:30 PM Edited by Mr.Bigshot, 08 December 2015 - 10:19 PM.

Ryder isn't that bad (especially when compared to the likes of Catalina), but at the same time, he's still a backstabbing snakehead who deserves to die for betraying his childhood friend like that. CJ and Ryder were friends since childhood and that's how Ryder does him? By turning his back on his own homie just to make money? What an asshole! Ryder was cool in the beginning of the game, but after learning he stabbed Grove Street in the back, he's no longer my favorite character anymore. Big Smoke isn't any more innocent either. I don't give two sh*ts how close he was with CJ. In fact, Smoke's betrayal was far more obvious to me than Ryder's betrayal (not that the latter is still any more innocent). Sure it wasn't Smoke and Ryder's fault that they switched sides since Tenpenny forced them to do it, but at the end of the day, they're both still spineless backstabbers who deserve to get killed for their betrayal.

Mr.Bigshot
  • Mr.Bigshot

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:54 PM

He's a dick, sure. But the water was f*cking with his head - and I doubt he had anything really against anyone.

So, whatever he was smoking which in your opinion f*cked up with his head makes him immune from all criticisms of every bad act he did with the clear intention to look for his own gain, and furthernore forming an alliance with Big Smoke to sell drugs for his own selfish motives despite knowing that Sweet was against selling drugs?
You are also not going to blame him for planning an attack on Sweet but eventually killed Sweets mother, and all this while planning to ruin GS Families until CJ arrived and stood by his brother to finally bring GS back on his foot completely unaware of the the f*ckin' moles like Ryder, OG Loc, Big Smoke who he trusted and cared about the most, taking all of their abuses like a good homie; brother and friend.
You have zero clue about the story and the segments connected with him to realise what you are talking about here makes no sense.
Just assume, if I killed any one in your family whom I knew very closely, well planned with the intent of murdering him / her without being on drugs at the time of murder, then I guess it would not make a difference to you, and you would not blame me but because I am a drug addict and it f*cked up my brain, right???

Then what is your theory about planning a hit with Ballas against Sweet?
Is every thing about CJ a matter of being a busta and not busta to you in reaching to a conclusion for why certain things happened with CJ?
By your logic, CJ didn't kill the foreman in the mission Deconstruction at all. I mean, how can a busta kill someone, take over territories, and he f*ckin' can't stand a chance against Tenpenny in the end. Its all just theory.

Sorry, mate, but Ryder never planned anything, nor did he kill Beverly. It was the Ballas who were planning the murder on Sweet. Ryder just happened to be convinced by Smoke into switching sides to the Ballas and know about the hit on Sweet's mama. No one's using his marijuana addiction as an excuse. The guy was just clearly saying that had Ryder not been on that water, he wouldn't have been talked into betraying the gang by Smoke. So relax and quit nitpicking. With that being said, Ryder and Smoke were cool before their betrayal, but at the end of the day, both of them are still spineless snakeheads.

• Honker1944 likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:34 AM Edited by lil weasel, 09 December 2015 - 03:40 AM.

Sorry, mate, but Ryder never planned anything, nor did he kill Beverly. It was the Ballas who were planning the murder on Sweet.

They're not stupid to decide for killing Sweet's mother on their own. Are you really that naive to understand this simple thing, or what?
There wont be any purpose for the story left in the game nor any reason for CJ to find his mom's killer, if Sweet would have figured out, it was them being "directly" involved in killing him, instead f*ckin' sell outs chose to involve in a way they wont come anywhere in the picture, and the blame would go on the Ballas.
It doesn't matter who planned and who executed such an act. They're all part of the act of killing Sweets mother.

The guy was just clearly saying that had Ryder not been on that water, he wouldn't have been talked into betraying the gang by Smoke.

Who f*ckin cares?
If Ryder had not been on drugs, or whatever really doesn't matter here. These are all assumptions to simply imagine how you can't deal with how the game was written to reflect his personality. If you can't deal with straight forward in game facts that Ryder chose to be a sell-out than sticking to his loyalty towards GS for HIS own selfish motives, no matter who persuaded him, or what excuses, then you are being biased and absolutely not willing to accept the games version of Ryder.
In that case, I don't give a sh*t. I only go by the games version and it clearly shows Ryder was an asshole. You can't pass off the fact that he did every decision and act without being forced by anyone, rather totally his own. Its pointless blaming over Big Smoke, or finding any other excuses.

So relax and quit nitpicking.

Sure.
< censored, we do not need kindling for a flame war.>

Mr.Bigshot
  • Mr.Bigshot

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:22 AM

Sorry, mate, but Ryder never planned anything, nor did he kill Beverly. It was the Ballas who were planning the murder on Sweet.

They're not stupid to decide for killing Sweet's mother on their own. Are you really that naive to understand this simple thing, or what?
There wont be any purpose for the story left in the game nor any reason for CJ to find his mom's killer, if Sweet would have figured out, it was them being "directly" involved in killing him, instead f*ckin' sell outs chose to involve in a way they wont come anywhere in the picture, and the blame would go on the Ballas.
It doesn't matter who planned and who executed such an act. They're all part of the act of killing Sweets mother.

The guy was just clearly saying that had Ryder not been on that water, he wouldn't have been talked into betraying the gang by Smoke.

Who f*ckin cares?
If Ryder had not been on drugs, or whatever really doesn't matter here. These are all assumptions to simply imagine how you can't deal with how the game was written to reflect his personality. If you can't deal with straight forward in game facts that Ryder chose to be a sell-out than sticking to his loyalty towards GS for HIS own selfish motives, no matter who persuaded him, or what excuses, then you are being biased and absolutely not willing to accept the games version of Ryder.
In that case, I don't give a sh*t. I only go by the games version and it clearly shows Ryder was an asshole. You can't pass off the fact that he did every decision and act without being forced by anyone, rather totally his own. Its pointless blaming over Big Smoke, or finding any other excuses.

So relax and quit nitpicking.

Sure.
< censored, we do not need kindling for a flame war.>
Smh Here you go nitpicking again. No one is making his drug addiction or anything else an excuse. I was just telling you what the other guy meant when he said Ryder was f*cked up on that wet. You just misconstrued that point just like you misconstrued my comment. And since we're gonna talk about Ryder making his own decisions, you need to be chiding the guy who said Smoke was forced by Tenpenny to turn on his gang. Like Ryder, Smoke too made HIS own decisions. We can't blame Tenpenny for Smoke's choice (don't even give me that "cop" excuse either, nor should anyone use Smoke's "apology" as an excuse either). Neither Smoke nor Ryder deserve any excuses. They both f*cked up for THEIR own decisions. If Ryder doesn't deserve an excuse, then neither does Smoke. Like I said before, Smoke and Ryder are both backstabbing assholes who deserve to die for turning their backs on the gang.

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:10 AM

Where does Smoke and Tenpenny come into this?
Your admissions in the post essentially make this topic pointless:
1. Ryder deserve no excuses.
2. Ryder f*cked up for HIS own decisions.
3. Ryder is backstabbing asshole who deserve to die for turning HIS back on the gang, etc
are just some of the important points against Ryder.
Then how the f*ck people exaggerate about how bad Ryder really is?
Those admissions clearly show that people are not exaggerating, at all.
The problem seems to be that there are people who are mixing two things; Ryder's personality / attitude and all his misdeeds, while undermining the gravity of the latter, and simply judging his personality.
Its fine to like Ryder for his personality and role as a character, but story wise there's no f*ckin' way Ryder deserves any sympathy for all his sh*t, at least, from me.
f*ck u Ryder. You Suck.

Also. Its taking too long for Mr.Bigshot getting busted. Time to lock this thread since via Mr.Bigshot ( fake account ), OP clearly reflects the lapses on his part to judge the character.
  • SmokesWithCigs likes this

Girish
  • Girish

LFM

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:48 AM

Yeah, we're done here.

• slimeball supreme likes this

Henry Hernandez
  • Henry Hernandez

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:07 PM Edited by Henry Hernandez, 13 May 2016 - 09:08 PM.

It just seems after his betrayal, he isn't brought up when CJ is talking about Big Smoke and CRASH and once he finally kills Ryder, he is completely forgotten like he has never even been in the game. And he's supposed to be CJ's childhood friend. I actually thought he was more cohesive than all the other characters in the game. Did Rockstar even plan to have Ryder as a character in this game at all? Just curious.

SAVILLAIN
  • SAVILLAIN

ha ha ha

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

Did Rockstar even plan to have Ryder as a character in this game at all? Just curious.

they rather have and need " The BENZ "

• FRANKLINCLINTON2 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users