The Driving Appreciation Thread

81 replies to this topic
Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:57 PM Edited by Scaglietti, 13 November 2015 - 10:14 PM.

In this thread we express what we love the most about IV's driving physics or list our favorite cars to drive and explain why.

Now, I'm not all about the whole "appreciation" thread trend that's been taking over this section over the past few months but I genuinely feel that a thread like this has been needed for a while. A thread where we can talk positively about IV's highly controversial driving physics.

Personally I love them. I think they represent what I want from a game's vehicular mechanics. They're fluid, sophisticated, thrilling, and every vehicle is unique in its own right. To a certain extent, they do require some level of precision. Every vehicle does. Of course under a vast variety of many different performance categories, certain cars are easier to drive than others and some are a little dull - but as they should be.

My rating for IV's handling model would be a solid 9. I've played IV since the month it came out yet I still never get bored or tired of the driving. Never. It always brings a smile to my face. Even if it's not every day that I learn something new. Just the feeling of driving certain vehicles is enough for me. The versatility of the driving mechanics never ceases to amaze me. Never does it feel choppy or limited or dull. You get the sense that they poured hours into every aspect of the driving mechanics. I'm not the biggest car guy. I mean I like cars but generally I could care less about your typical gearhead things like the underpinnings of a car or how to fix it. All I care about is how a car makes me feel and that mainly depends on how it looks and drives.

To me, IV focuses on those two aspects the most when it comes to cars. How detailed it is and how it drives/how it feels to drive. There's a thing called steering feel and that is self explanatory. How the steering feels. Does it feel connected, do you feel in control of the car, can you feel the weight, is it fun? I do hate to bring V up but it lacks in the steering department the most. IV doesn't.

Overall, the driving in this game is a masterpiece. Even compared to Forza, Gran Turismo, etc, IV's driving has never let me down. I don't care how realistic or unrealistic it is. It makes me feel engaged and it's allowed for an endless amount of fun experiments, stunts and styles of driving.

My all-time favorite car? My "Best Driver's Car" of GTA IV? I'd award that title to the almighy Sentinel:

GTA-IV-Addon-Sentinel-new-lights_4.jpg

Favorite configuration: Metallic grey on black rims

It is my absolute favorite car in the game. The looks are spot on, it's relatively quick, it's small enough to be very agile and nimble, it's a powerful RWD coupe so powerslides and cornering is extra sideways, it's very subtle and executive but also very stealthy and it was built to perform. No ABS. No stability contral. Stiff steering. Stiff springs. Rear wheel drive. Small. Light. And powerful.

To the average driver, the Sentinel is a bitch to drive. Of course at lower speeds it's super laid back and direct. But if you want to drive it hard, it takes some skill. And that's what I love the most about it. If you don't think about your driving, you won't be able to handle the Sentinel.

It'll understeer and swerve onto the sidewalk - or worse, smash into a stationary object - if you corner but don't brake or lift off the gas at the right time. It'll screech and stall if you mash on the brakes, it'll flip if you take a corner two quickly on rough ground. It'll even oversteer and spinout on you if you take a corner too quickly.

Sounds horrible, right? But drive it correctly and you'll have the ultimate stunt car or even one of the most reliable getaway vehicles. Because of it's size and weight, this is a very nimble car. And it can take on the corners in two different ways. Either precisely with quick and direct steering, or erratically via unbelievably fun yet ridiculously quick powerslides and drifts.

I prefer the latter although sometimes the former is necessary for quicker and more direct driving. To pull drifts and powerslides in this thing, I don't even have to pull the E-brake. Here's the trick.

First you enter an intersection at a relatively decent speed. You're heading left. When you reach the intersection, slightly steer to the right, lift of the gas for a split second and in the split second just tap the brakes, then jolt to the left as hard as you can. You'll pull off a classic powerslide. What I love the most about the Sentinel is how quickly it gains traction. It'll pull a textbook powerslide or drift and look good doing it but then it'll gain traction like nothing and that's good because usually performing powerslides slow you down. With this car, that is not a problem. The thing just pulls! It is so fast sometimes, and that is what I love about it. You don't expect a car like this to be that quick but it is. In the corners it provides so much feel and even though it requires precision - which simply becomes muscle memory after a few tries - it is so quick. Like seriously. In a straight line it won't kept up with a Coquette - though it is no slouch - but in the corners it's on par with one. Maybe even better than the Coquette in the sense that it is the better handling and more capable car.

They nailed the Sentinel. It is my favorite car.

You don't have to write an essay to express your apprecation of IV's driving physics. Just say what you want about them and perhaps provide a favorite car of yours.
  • gunziness, Raspy, Tupiz and 9 others like this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Rest in peace, Chester.

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:25 PM

For me it has to be the Stallion.
Big, boat like handling with an INCREDIBLE V8 roar. Gives me the authentic muscle car feel right there.
I also like the SUVs, they are actually enjoyable to drive around and can ram things out of the way.

I can't wait until my complete edition gets here, ordered today ;)
  • Scaglietti and Judicious 7 like this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

🔺

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:38 PM

I love all sorts of cars.
The Turismo, The Pinnacle, the Stallion, and many more.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:08 PM

My favourite car to drive/race is the Faction as I believe it has one of the best balances in terms handling, power and speed. However the thing I love the most about GTA IV's driving physics is the feeling of driving to the absolute limit. Sometimes cars will be nice and settle entering and exiting corners other times they can catch you by surprise with a moment of snap oversteer.

It's still some of the best physics I've ever experienced in an open world game. It even gives dedicated racers/simulators a run for their money IMO.:)

• slimeball supreme and Scaglietti like this

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

The Butcher of Blaviken

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:02 AM

I personally think that GTA IV's driving is one of the best handling physics I have experienced in an open world video game. It's still arcadey, but the feel of realism and the uniqueness of the handling of each cars is spectacular. Like Scaglietti said, the driving in IV can compete with Forza or Gran Turismo, not on just sheer physics alone, but the huge amount of fun that as a player can experience.

My favorite car to drive in GTA IV is the Turismo. It's fast, it's nimble, but it can be a handful due to the amount of horsepower the car has, and I f*cking love it. Also the beautiful Italian lines, the tan interior, nearly every aspect of the Turismo is perfect. It's my driver's car in GTA IV. Also huge thanks to Rockstar Games for bringing us so much fun with the driving in the playground of Liberty City. Never had much fun in an open world game as much as GTA IV.

• theGTAking101 likes this

Officer620
  • Officer620

Federal Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:22 AM

The almighty LCPD Police Cruiser.

vfblwmwxsshfj1auwxag.jpg

Found at almost every single police station across the map, this vehicle is one of the most iconic and popular vehicles in Liberty City. The vehicle most LC citizens do not want to see in their rear view mirrors. 

I mastered IV's driving many years ago. I have spent close to 8 years driving this tough, durable work horse around the streets of LC, and I can handle it better than any other vehicle in any other game. Years of playing multiplayer has allowed me to become so skilled in my driving that I can pursue a faster vehicle such as a Turismo or Sultan RS with ease. 

Having the Stanier return as a civilian model in V, with the butchered vehicle handling has made me appreciate the LCPD variant even more. Actual skill is required in car control and maneuvering as you negotiate turns and high speed driving in IV. Going from V to IV, some may be surprised to learn that you actually have to apply the brakes to turn corners effectively; as opposed to the driving designed for 5-year-olds in V when acceleration and perhaps a minor left or right on the steering wheel is all that is required to navigate Los Santos. 

The handling (and vehicle damage) in IV is definitely as close to real life as we have got so far from a GTA game. The only game that beats IV in this sense is Mafia II in my opinion. Those who have played both games will understand what I mean.

Once again, Rockstar took a step backwards when designing the driving for V. Just another item on the long list of things V did not learn from IV.

Cheers!

• Tupiz, Payne Killer and Eliz like this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

The "A"

• Facade Corporation
  • Poland

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:50 AM

I really like driving the Admiral. I feel like an average American, while I'm driving it. I also appreciate its handling.

wC6Dgz9.jpg

• TheOneLibertonian and Payne Killer like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

I Do Want To Set The World On Fire!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:45 PM

gta_iv_imponte_dukes_by_rageiv-d40gi7r.p

What it lacks in speed, makes up for sheer fun in throwing it's back end around and power when it comes to flipping other cars!

• Tupiz, Payne Killer and The Deadite like this

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

The Butcher of Blaviken

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:48 PM

I love the Dukes. The amount of power it has is immense. I love drifting the Dukes in Liberty City. One of my favorite muscle cars in GTA IV alongside the Stallion.

• (Ambient) and Tupiz like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:33 PM Edited by PulpFiction, 14 November 2015 - 01:33 PM.

I love the Dukes. The amount of power it has is immense. I love drifting the Dukes in Liberty City. One of my favorite muscle cars in GTA IV alongside the Stallion.

I love using The Dukes for powersliding seeing as it breaks out in wheel spin with relative ease.
  • Tupiz, TheOneLibertonian and Scaglietti like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:15 PM

Commenting on how bad the steering feel was in V was not bashing it. I'm going to request a moderator remove all of the off topic flame bait posts. This is an appreciation thread for a reason.

• MiamiViceCity likes this

RushiAkimoya
  • RushiAkimoya

You Piece of Trash!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:42 PM Edited by Rard-Life, 14 November 2015 - 05:42 PM.

God I just miss the GTAIV days...

I love IV driving physics, the best physics a game could get, there so fun, it makes you drive safety too.

But of course, I loved to drive dangerously lol. The way the cars reacted in high speeds, all that weight you felt suddenly, damn such a beauty.

Oh and crashing system, oh boy, does high speed chased on multiplayer haha.

IV physics = Master Race

Lester-The-Molester
  • Lester-The-Molester

When there's no cops, anything's legal!

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:12 PM

I love driving my Buffalo. It feels so smooth.
Also learning how to drive a chopper gives you such a sense of satisfaction.
  • Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

The sound of that Buffalo could put me to sleep. It sounds so beautiful.

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

The Sentinel is also my favorite car to drive. Some cars don't handle great but others handle like a dream. I also agree the Buffalo sounds beautiful.

• Scaglietti likes this

LeBron.
  • LeBron.

Master of Puppets

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:10 PM

WindowCleaningPlatform-GTAIV-title.jpg

WINDOW CLEANING PLATFORM FTW

LOOK AT IT

JUST f*ckING LOOK AT IT

TURISMOS & COMETS AIN'T GOT NOTHIN' ON THE ALMGIHTY WINDOW CLEANING PLATFORM

• theGTAking101, slimeball supreme, Scaglietti and 5 others like this

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:11 PM Edited by theGTAking101, 14 November 2015 - 09:12 PM.

WindowCleaningPlatform-GTAIV-title.jpg

WINDOW CLEANING PLATFORM FTW

LOOK AT IT

JUST f*ckING LOOK AT IT

TURISMOS & COMETS AIN'T GOT NOTHIN' ON THE ALMGIHTY WINDOW CLEANING PLATFORM

Another thing missing from V, imagine how great it would be if they had these on every skyscraper and you could use them all.

• LeBron. likes this

Xing of Virtue
  • Xing of Virtue

Life makes no sense when fish are gay.

• BUSTED!
  • Antarctica

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:40 PM

Nothing says "Things will be different" like joy-riding through a massive crowd of pedestrians at Star Junction with the IV driving. Those were the days...
  • LeBron. likes this

Predator
  • Predator

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:38 PM

Another thing missing from V, imagine how great it would be if they had these on every skyscraper and you could use them all.

The Maze Bank Tower should have that , but V has a lot stairs to get on top of buildings , i think u can also use that elevator in the construction site , its a shame you cant get on top of the Maze Bank Tower as easily as you could in GTA SA ( you could even get on with a bike in SA ) 

Best sport car to drive is the Banshee 

IrpPjfU.png

• theGTAking101, Scaglietti, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:45 PM Edited by PulpFiction, 14 November 2015 - 10:48 PM.

Thank god someone cleaned up this thread. Thanks to whoever done it.

Another favourite of mine is the Voodoo. Whilst it lacks the speed of most cars it actually has pretty good handling due to its low centre of gravity. Sounds awesome too.
  • Officer620 and Scaglietti like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

COUNSELOR!! COME OUT WHEREVER YOU ARE!!

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:51 PM

The car crashes deserved his appreciation thread.

• theGTAking101 and Payne Killer like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:52 PM Edited by PulpFiction, 14 November 2015 - 10:53 PM.

Who's this guy called "car crashes"?:p
  • theGTAking101, Payne Killer and The Deadite like this

Nico
  • Nico

Do you think you can tell?

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:55 PM

IrpPjfU.png

Believe me or not, I took this pic myself from my game back in my GTA wikia days.

In topic, IV's driving physics are probably one of the best features of the game. Is not meant for everyone, you actually have to learn how to control the car properly.

Once you have done that, it's golden.

• MiamiViceCity, Scaglietti and Payne Killer like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

COUNSELOR!! COME OUT WHEREVER YOU ARE!!

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:01 PM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 14 November 2015 - 11:58 PM.

Who's this guy called "car crashes"? :p
Ohh sh*t, you know what i mean.

Driving was ok, is not that far ahead of V's driving as everyone claim, bike driving is bad, V is equally as bad, cars have the sh*ttiest phisics in V, IV was fun in that regard, is not realistic and boat-like, just unique, the car wobbling is annoying and unnatural, worst thing about it.

My favorite car to drive were the Stallion and Dukes, surprisingly powerful, the Dukes is actually fun to drive off-road, i didn't expected that.

Spoiler

• MiamiViceCity, theGTAking101 and Payne Killer like this

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

The Butcher of Blaviken

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:36 AM Edited by Diamond Dogs, 15 November 2015 - 02:37 AM.

Anybody else thinks that IV's driving isn't that hard at all? I do love the realistic feel of the vehicles in GTA IV. The body roll however is too overdone in my opinion though. Other than that it's perfect.  :)

• B Dawg likes this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:18 AM Edited by PulpFiction, 15 November 2015 - 03:18 AM.

Yeah. I don't think it's that hard. It has a steeper learning curve than the other games, but not exactly rocket science.

The thing with GTA IV is I can leave it for a few months and come back, but it doesn't feel like my touch for the physics has deteriorated at all.
  • B Dawg likes this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

🔺

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:22 AM Edited by Mr. Fahrenheit, 15 November 2015 - 03:22 AM.

Cars are damaging to the environment from all the greenhouse gases they spew into the atmosphere, so it just feels morally wrong to drive an automobile that isn't my trusty Karin Dilettante!

The Karin Dilettante is the best (and only) hybrid sedan currently available on the market, and it's full customisable too!
Plus, it retails for ONLY $39,999.99! What a steal!
  • Scaglietti and Payne Killer like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:25 AM

Cars are damaging to the environment from all the greenhouse gases they spew into the atmosphere, so it just feels morally wrong to drive an automobile that isn't my trusty Karin Dilettante!
The Karin Dilettante is the best (and only) hybrid sedan currently available on the market, and it's full customisable too!
Plus, it retails for ONLY $39,999.99! What a steal!

Uh what? What happened to your obsession with the Annis Pinnacle? I WANT ANSWERS MR FART EN HATE!!!'
  • B Dawg, slimeball supreme, The Deadite and 1 other like this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

🔺

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:08 AM

Oh, you mean the best selling car of 2007, 2009 and 2014? The Annis Pinnacle?
You mean the cheapest, and highest quality affordable luxury sedan on the market?

I thought so. It's only $19,000 drive-away too! What a steal.
  • B Dawg likes this

JRC99
  • JRC99

Dipsh*t

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:19 AM

I always loved the Rancher. It's not speedy, but damn it's a champ offroad, and actually reaches it's top speed fairly quickly. Also, it handles fairly well for what it is. Reminding me of my dad's Bronco is a nice bonus, too.

• Payne Killer likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users