37 replies to this topic
Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:33 AM

Hello everyone,

I've picked up a copy of San Andreas for PS2, it's an Australian v1 release. I know there are somewhat-game-breaking bugs that can be triggered with specific actions, and I want to avoid most, if not all, of them. Can people with knowledge of these bugs please list what I should and should not do and the bugs that will be triggered for those actions?

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:39 AM Edited by lil weasel, 23 October 2015 - 07:41 AM.

Do Not use CHEATS.
Do not fly out to sea.
Eat at least Once each day. Do not rely on saves to feed Carl.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Feroci
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA & Modding]

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

You can avoid the infamous gym glitch by never exceeding the daily workout limit.

Flying out to sea is a bad idea. On some versions you can glitch taxi fares so they never appear, or prevent a story mission from being completed.

Saving with the "Mayhem" cheat will cause the Madd Dogg glitch, which can make a late game story mission fail, and generally screw with the game. It's best to avoid saving after using any ped altering cheat as the Mayhem cheat has had many names on different systems. On PC, it was called Pedestrians Attack Each Other.

Don't try to steal the unique Mafia dept car until San Fierro is unlocked properly. This is a weird one known mostly to special vehicle collectors; you can't do this by accident. The phone calls from the Mafia will make the Badlands calls stop.

Don't save in Madd Dogg's Mansion or your basketballs will probably disappear forever.

Except for the Mafia dept car thing, all of these issues are easy to fix on PC using standard tools.

• OG Viking likes this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

V1 is the only Version I play for PS2.  Basically what OrionSR has said already.  I can't think of anything else, however, you are FORCED to fly out of the map for Saint Marks Bistro and when you pass the Mission, an added Vagos Territory will appear at Boat School and it's tricky to start a gang war there due to the fact it's shaded very light colored yellow and to get the Vagos to spawn you must run around for a good 20 minutes flipping the camera angles and such trying to get them to spawn.  It happens on every single one of my PS2 V1 playthroughs, but since I know what to do, it's not a problem.  I always take over 100% Gang Territory, so I need that territory...

About the EC Vincent from the Mafia, I don't think he goes for Special Vehicles...

• OG Viking likes this

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:22 AM

I don't worry about special vehicles for the most part, unless they are given as a gift or reward or they are easy to obtain (BP Barracks OL in GTA III). Is there any way at all to avoid the Saint Mark's Bistro glitch? Also, I thought the gym glitch was triggered by beating the sh*t out of everyone in the gym on a regular basis?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:05 AM

Correction: Since you are on PS2v1 you can fly out to sea for hours on end and all it will do is glitch... 173(?) new turfs. PS2 players used to enjoy the challenge of trying to take over turfs in isolated places where gang members never spawn. But maybe save that until after 100%. Just don't take over all the normal turfs or you limit your options.

You can divert a little north or south on the way to the Bistro, but you'll only end up glitching different gangs into the zones, and maybe spawning new gang zones somewhere else. Don't worry about the glitch. It won't hurt anything. Do it normal so you know where to look and the zone is able to spawn gangs without any trouble.

The gym glitch was a rather mysterious puzzle that was only solved about 2 years ago. The glitch is usually set early in the game but the effect doesn't take place until the next in-game year, so there's a huge disconnect for solving the riddle. Fortunately, hmvartak saves an archive of glitched saves that people submitted for repair on his web site which finally provided enough data to crack the code. PS2 players are especially vulnerable because they can't repair their saves and can't view the in-game month and day without a save editor.

• OG Viking likes this

DragonpokeZ
  • DragonpokeZ

Special Vehicle Hoarder

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:14 AM

Also the traffic glitch. There's no way of knowing when it will appear, no way to stop it, and no way to fix it. As you progress through the game and your Total Time Played stat goes up, the chances of this glitch triggering will increase. You will notice traffic cars rotated 180 degrees and trying to rotate back, going through walls and other stuff

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

OrionSR, I have hit the daily workout limit twice now. Is the trigger hitting it once and waiting a year?

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:12 PM Edited by Militia, 24 October 2015 - 05:14 PM.

Is there any way at all to avoid the Saint Mark's Bistro glitch?

Nope.  I've got it in ALL 4 of my PS2 SA playthroughs to 100%.  But like I said previously, only 1 new Territory is added and it's always the Vagos at Boat School.  Nothing else has ever happened to me other than always getting that Territory.

Despite what OrionSR has stated about the Gym Glitch, I, too, have also worked out to the max once or twice and don't recall ever getting the message "You have reached your limit.  Come back tomorrow."  If you have the Gym Glitch, that will stay like that practically for good.  I had it on an old Save, but the thing is, I don't even care about a Glitch like this cuz I always have 100% Muscle Stat by 100% with low body fat and max Stamina, etc, etc.  I never use Gym other than learning the Gym Moves for 1.60% game completion and in the very beginning.  Other than that, I don't ever use them.  Never played Basketball, either, however, I DID avoid the Basketball Glitch in my current, newest PS2 playthrough simply by not saving at Madd Dogg's Mansion.  I just saved at Mulholland, which is across the street.  It's easy to avoid...

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:44 PM

Is there any way at all to avoid the Saint Mark's Bistro glitch? Also, I thought the gym glitch was triggered by beating the sh*t out of everyone in the gym on a regular basis?

When I read my first review prior to purchasing the game This "little bit of Homies" was mentioned.
I do not believe it is a "Glitch". Since it is the only area where it appears and no other as with the True flying off the map glitch.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:06 AM

Nah, it just seems normal because so many people fly such a similar route. I wouldn't be surprised if the sector for Vagos in Bayside is right on top of the coordinates that trigger the next part of the mission. However, when I first played I was a rather lousy pilot and missed the marker by a wide margin and had to swing around to get it. On that save I had Ballas in northern SF in a couple of zones, but not the Vagos in Bayside.

Each offshore sector, 600 meters square, can be associated with a specific gang in a specific zone. It only seems random because people fly randomly.

• OG Viking and MorsPrincipiumEst like this

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:22 AM Edited by Helegad, 26 October 2015 - 09:23 AM.

This could get interesting! So on v1, this is a harmless glitch which yields more content, if anything, but versions later than v1 introduce additional, harmful, facets to this glitch?

Also, does the glitch mess around with existing "canon" territories?

• DragonpokeZ likes this

DragonpokeZ
  • DragonpokeZ

Special Vehicle Hoarder

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

The glitch only adds density to new areas that don't have any. I think that it can increase the number of drug dealers seen but I ain't sure of that
  • MorsPrincipiumEst likes this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:26 AM

Like Dragon has said, the normal Territories in Los Santos will still be the same.  Nothing will change.  The only thing that can happen simply is the addition of new Territories.  Nothing else...

I can't comment on other Versions except iOS, which is newer than most of the Versions and when I do Saint Marks Bistro on iOS, NO Territories are added.  Nothing happens.  It stays the exact same as before the Mission.  I've done 4 PS2 V1 Playthroughs and 2 iOS Playthroughs and always the same result on PS2 and always the same result on iOS, which is nothing is added.  Perhaps they fixed the Mobile Versions in that regard since it's the newest Versions, basically, but maybe on Xbox or PS2 V2 and V1 PC Saves it's not fixed.  I can't be certain, though.

DragonpokeZ
  • DragonpokeZ

Special Vehicle Hoarder

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:01 PM Edited by DragonpokeZ, 27 October 2015 - 12:28 AM.

In V1 PC Saves it's the way OrionSR described it. A few territories get added but the map gets corrupted so certain areas won't have a name or they'll have an incorrect name which can glitch out the Taxi mission or

Spoiler

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:41 PM

I see...Interesting.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:42 PM Edited by OrionSR, 26 October 2015 - 04:46 PM.

People have only reported glitches on the original version of the game. I think this is a v1 problem only but I can't confirm this directly. Problematic glitches occur on PC and Xbox.

A single dealer can get glitched into a turf, but it's hard to notice as dealers get added to gang turfs anyway. The glitch can only change bytes that are equal to zero, so it won't change the density of the standard gangs, but it can add one of every other gang to that zone.

The tradition gameplay value of the flying off the map glitch for PS2 is to take over all the new turfs. Many are simple as it's a one wave war. Zones without proper ped paths are trickier as you need to pull enough Ballas or Vagos out of traffic to start a war. Many are in country zones that never spawn gangs and that's where the challenge gets interesting. You need a zone where you can start a war and lure the attackers where you need them, sometimes chaining wars in the remote zones to reach the farthest first.

The glitched turf gang war exploit has been replaced in favor of the "satchel trick" and other variations as it works on PS2 and PC. The original "trick" is to put satchel charges on at least three gang members from a Gang Attack against one of your zones. Then you run off to the zone you want, detonate the charges, and Grove gets the zones if 3 of them get killed.  The variations are complicated, but basically you can add density to any gang in any zone as long as you can get gang attacks to occur and get Ballas or Vagos to spawn near a zone dominated by the gang you want to own the zone, and get Ballas and Vagos to appear near where you want to add a new gang zone. The flying off the map trick is the only known way to add Mafia zones or the unused gangs, but by this point the exploits have become so complex that it' impractical to discover a consistent strategy and even more difficult to communicate how to repeat it.

• OG Viking, MorsPrincipiumEst and DragonpokeZ like this

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:55 AM

I'm currently banging Denise and taking over turf in Los Santos. Haven't done The Green Sabre yet. I know I will lose everything, but it's a lot of fun :) However Denise is never home anymore. She might be f*cking someone else. Is this a known glitch?

• OG Viking likes this

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:25 AM Edited by OrionSR, 31 October 2015 - 08:27 AM.

Post the save please. Girlfriends never home is a known glitch I've never been able to isolate.

Oh, crap. Never mind. I forgot; PS2. Damn it. I may never track down this glitch.

The problem usually goes away on it's own if you do something else for a while.

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:05 PM

I had the same problems on PS2.  Already told OrionSR about this weeks back and even last year in December 2014...The Girlfriends are strange for PS2 V1 and don't like to be home.  Luckily you aren't going for the AP Vehicles.  The usual "fix" is not the same for PS2.  What seems to happen is the time they are supposed to be home gets changed somewhere in the process of dating them and then it appears they are never home.  I got 5 of the 6 girls active and the two-time dating scripts still active :D

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:16 AM Edited by Helegad, 01 November 2015 - 02:17 AM.

Yes, it seems that just coming back another day "fixed" the problem. It has appeared since then though. Are girlfriends scripted to not be home on certain days?

Also, I'm a little concerned about this traffic glitch. I don't mind extracting my save from my memory card and changing a hex value... is there a way to fix it like that? I don't have the glitch right now nor the equipment/knowledge to fix it, but I'm sure I can do it if the facilities are available.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:55 AM

Manually fixing the traffic glitch isn't practical. This is by far the most complicated save repair strategy. Fortunately, it looks like this fix is included in the GTASnP modification list.

All you need to do to fix the traffic glitch is to set the global timer back to a very low value, usually 0 or almost 0. Load the save and traffic is better but the weather will go insane trying to cycle through it's routine trying to catch up to a global timer. Fix that and you'll soon notice that none of the missions or side missions work so you need to go through and fix about 3 dozen wakeup timers buried in the threads. Things will then look fairly normal except some of your favorite parked cars won't spawn because they are waiting to spawn until a little after whenever you last used them; so another 208 patches to make sure all the cargens work properly. Next issue is that your favorite pickups won't respawn, and there is money, dropped weapons from peds or gang wars, discarded jetpacks, just lying about, so 620 repairs to make the pickup pool work again. There's also another 210 police trigger zones (those spots where cop cars always come shooting out of nowhere when ever CJ has a 2+ wanted level) if you want to try to get everything right. And... a handful of global variables need to be reset to make CJ can eat properly and receive phone calls, and there's a timer for the Garage Full message in the garage block. That might be everything. So... easily over a 1000 edits. Better to let software handle that sort of thing.

• OG Viking and Tomasak like this

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:09 AM Edited by Helegad, 01 November 2015 - 05:11 AM.

Well, that sounds like quite a project. I see here that SnP supports PS2 saves. Is there any benefit to transferring a currently okay save through SnP to avoid future bugs?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:06 AM

Benefit? Um... you might discover new glitches associated with this repair. That's how Krawk discovered the problem with resetting the timers right after eating. This is a rather brutal and arrogant fix. It assumes that we understand the nature and location of every timer in the save. If you got an obvious problem, I highly recommend the repair, but it might do something odd that hasn't been anticipated. If SnP breaks your save then I can fix it, and I'll tell Samutz how I did it and if it's an easy tweak he can often get SnP updated fairly quickly, so everybody benefits.

• Tomasak and MorsPrincipiumEst like this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:21 PM

Yeah, all I can say about the Traffic Glitch is try and get to 100% or whatever your goal is as quickly as possible to avoid it cuz like OrionSR is saying, it's a complicated fix on PS2.  However, _Douglas_, now known as LeonTheKiller has fixed his PS2 Save doing it the tedious and tricky way, so if something were to happen, you could ask him.  He plays on PS2, as well.

I never got the Traffic Glitch in full force.  I see Traffic acting a bit strange, but this very same "strangeness" happens also in III, VC, LCS, and VCS and even at a start of a new game.  Maybe it's just a Renderware problem or something or other associated with the 3D Era GTA's as it doesn't happen in GTA IV on up in the HD Era.  It only happens in III, VC, SA, LCS, and VCS.

However, I am sure you'd be just fine.  You don't need to save after every little thing you do and you don't need to free roam and save after that, either.  I am not sure how people accumulate so much Total Playing Time in the Stats unless they are booting it up and saving after every little thing they are doing and free roaming and saving after that, etc, etc.  In my current PS2 Save, I have only 47 Hours and 50 Minutes for 100% with 3 Deaths, 0 Busted, 0 Cheats, and 202 Mission Attempts as well as 57 Special Vehicles.  If I can do this in under 48 Hours WITH the Special Vehicles (as that is the most time consuming part of my Saves), then I am sure you can reach 30 some Hours for Total Playing Time.  If you know how to play and know how to take short cuts and shave off time from what you are doing and working on, you'll be fine.  Even when I sucked and didn't play very well, I only would ever reach 50-60 Hours.  The Traffic Glitch happens when you reach many more Hours.  It gets strange around 80-90 in my iOS Save and it gets strange on 100+ Hours for LeonTheKiller's Save when he repaired it.  I just speed through SA as quickly as possible and the Traffic is fine...

Inadequate
  • Inadequate

Midnight Emulator

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:29 PM

Yeah, all I can say about the Traffic Glitch is try and get to 100% or whatever your goal is as quickly as possible to avoid it cuz like OrionSR is saying, it's a complicated fix on PS2.  However, _Douglas_, now known as LeonTheKiller has fixed his PS2 Save doing it the tedious and tricky way, so if something were to happen, you could ask him.  He plays on PS2, as well.

It's easy, you can extract the PS2 save file (End Of The Line.b) rename it like a PC save (GTASAsfX.b) open it with savegame editor and fix the traffic glitch, then you only do the same thing but backwards. :)

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the info.  However, if I were to get such a glitch, I wouldn't care, tbh.  Whatever happens, happens.  I am not worried about glitches like these since they don't exactly "break" the game.  I only avoid the game breaking Glitches and if it's easy to avoid other Glitches, I do so, too.  In general, though, I like to play as fast as possible for all GTA's and not just SA...

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:40 PM

Well, I'm trying to branch out and do everything in the game (pool, arcade games, girlfriends, etc). I have racked up 25 hours already and I'm 20% done. If the traffic glitch appears after 100+ hours, I should be able to 100% the game before then. Most of the side stuff is done now anyway.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:59 AM

It would be a bad idea to use the current savegame editor on a PS2 save. The fix to global variables needs to be specific to each version. However, the repair options of GTASnP should be current for all existing standards.

Don't worry too much about the traffic glitch on PS2. The hardware seems to be able to handle it better.

Racing for record book competition rapidly ran up my play time. I decided it wasn't practical to try to make one save with all my best times and scores by making incremental progress.

• MorsPrincipiumEst likes this

Inadequate
  • Inadequate

Midnight Emulator

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:40 PM Edited by Inadequate, 03 November 2015 - 06:41 PM.

It would be a bad idea to use the current savegame editor on a PS2 save. The fix to global variables needs to be specific to each version. However, the repair options of GTASnP should be current for all existing standards.

Well, I tested a savegame editor with a PS2 save time ago (specifically this one), only without modify the save version (1.0, 1.01, etc and IPL version) anyway the savegame editor detects the save version, in the case of a PS2 the space of version are blank. I edited the money, clothes, weapons and fix the possibly present traffic glitch and taxi fares on it EXCEPT the madd dogg basketball glitch because fixes it via IPL (?) if I remember correctly and obviously the PS2 and PC IPLs are different, finally... I don't found any bug or a strange thing in-game using the savegame editor into a PS2 save everything worked correctly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users