Photo

Can Vice City work without the 80's?

133 replies to this topic
evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by evd, 3 weeks ago.

dude, this guy compared graphics to themes ("social commentary") that GTA was always about.

he said "we are bored with american satire, but good level of details is ok, thus VICE CITY in the 80s would be better"

just stahp.

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by SmokesWithCigs, 3 weeks ago.

dude, this guy compared graphics to themes ("social commentary") that GTA was always about.

he said "we are bored with american satire, but good level of details is ok, thus VICE CITY in the 80s would be better"

just stahp.

What he is saying is if we got a vice city game set in the 80s it would be gta V all over again and he's right also he didn't say he wanted it set in the 80s but in another time period because things would feel fresh btw I don't get your hate for vice city. It is a good game. Miami is a party City filled with clubs and nightlife especially a lot of strip clubs.vice city would be dope in the hi def universe. I don't want to play a depressing fallen dream story in vice city. You can have a game with a good up beat story and without annoying cringeworthy characters and dialogue like v does

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

mate, but you're constantly use IV and V as they were clones. those games cannot be more different.

IV has mature story, main character is authentic in things he does and did. where is the cringe? in Brucie's performance? Roman's? They're not a core for the game, just a positive crazyness for the depressing overtone. 

on the other hand you have V which is colourfull, packed with nice missions, but without the heavy tone. its the opposite for the previous instalment, so how can anybody use those alternately? 

iV is for older audience, V for younger, yet it has some creepy things in it.

and what do I have to VC? nothing, its as good game. but nothing more. its ok, beside the shallow Vercetti, who can appeal to 14 years old with his jokes. 

and - as you mentioned that VC is party city, ok, i can agree, and as someone who loves music i dont have problem with that. partying is still around. i can see VC as modern setting, with a lot of nightlife. do we have to dump 10 years of creating content for GTA V just becouse you need to have a limitation for those things? there can be a store with 80's themed clothes. a 80's music radio station, old cars in 2017. it doesnt go other way around. its a waste of >100gb of data. is that what you need? artificial nostalgia? thing that blocks a way for connecting those cities? you need that one-time usage product? i dont. i feel its a waste of time and opportunity to created something bigger, than a game from 2003 with better graphics.

good up beat story about murderers? what is it? ubisoft game? or creators of Manhunt? I dont know how old are You, and dont want to offen you, but you must be very young to reckon VC as NOT BORING (whereas, it has forgetable protag, whitout any baggage, anything that would drive me to fulfill my revenge), and IV BORING? how? was there anything more powerfull in VC story than Niko's anger and grief in last chapter? have you thought about Vercetti as a living person while cracking stupid jokes and genociding? isnt this a hidden reason why this sceries is and should stay M for MATURE, to deliver authentic and emotional content? dude, i cried at The Wedding and after killing Raskalov, becouse there was no relief. the revenge was bitter, not sweet. nothing changed, Roman/Kate was still dead, and nothing will change it, thus it was REMARKABLE ending, not just killing one dude, who put death sentence on us becouse we owe him some silly cash.

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I like what I like and that's all that matters to me.

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Well, thAts a mature argument pal. Anyone else likes what he likes so he want another microwaved vc schnitzel?

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Edit

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Doubtful, really. 80's was the golden era for Miami, present day may come off as cheesy. Like what happened with V's LS, the whole overblown in-your-face satire/parody got annoying. It all feels plastic compared to SA's 90s LS atmosphere.

I have never agreed more with someone's comment on here than this one.
I have to respectfully disagree... Miami's atmosphere isn't plastic like say LA for instance.... People here aren't trying to be movie stars and entertainers around every corner like LA is known for... Miami mainly has a retirement/vacation/resort type of deal going on with a bunch of foreign people trying to make a quick American dollar.. Miami's vibe is heavily Caribbean influenced where everyone is still thinking in their homeland mind state... Nobody speaks English here lol

We have star-studded Events and Award Shows happening in the same area as 3rd world crimes... Crimes like human trafficking, international drug trade, full fledged "OK Corral" style shoot outs (mainly cops vs civilians), car chases, kidnappings, bank heists, some kinda of government corruption, zombies... And all of this happens daily, no exaggerations....

I swear I'm going to make a thread that documents Miami and its daily crimes... Miami resident will agree and know exactly how "GTA" it is out here... Where do you guys get your info from?

Not much happens in Modern day Miami

Give me something in the past instead

that video is so inaccurate and PC... That's south Beach not Miami they're showcasing.... Also, the first thing he said was like the most BEYOND STUPID statement ever and not a fact at all: "Miami is diverse because of its close proximity to Latin America". Then proceeds to show a Haitian flag. What?!!!??? Ummmm, California, New Mexico & Texas are closer to Latin America than Florida is and also we have a higher Caribbean Latin population than a Latin American one... Mainly Cubans and Dominicans, so that video is out the window....

Plus the special is about Biscayne Boulevard... What!!?? That's like expecting gang wars in Beverly Hills... Biscayne is THE major street down the coast line and runs through Downtown... The ONLY reason they chose that street is because that is LITERALLY the only safe avenue in the entire city, they really didn't have much choice... There's nothing but condos on Biscayne. Safe. It's a freakin tourist video, whadda'ya expect?

Also, people need to learn IRL South Beach is an island far away from the mainland Miami and is a separate city within the same county.... No crime or anything happens on South Beach except the occasional drunken brawls, celebrity spottings, and (somehow) maybe a shoot out... Mainland Miami is the polar opposite of the party and nightlife you see on TV about South Beach/Miami Beach... sh*t is mostly a war zone and third world-ish

I've lived in this city for 30yrs.... It is probably the wildest place in America, honestly.... And I've been to nearly all major cities except for LA and SF...

no because the setting will lack a "theme" (not the game, the setting)

- gritty, dangerous (III)
- neon, glamoru, sunny 80's (VC)
- "raw", hot dirty 90s (SA)
- cold, run-down concrete jungle (IV)
- bright fake-plastic hollywood style (V)
- humid, tropical, vacation-style (VI) 

What can a vice city in the 2010s bring on the table?
Plastic looking? done
Sunny city? Done
Run down atmpsphere? Done
I'm not saying you can't set a new game in a modern vice city, but the setting shouldn't be just a new map layout, but a total new (and never dove before) character.

Tropical.... Vice City would essentially be a giant tropical island with a swamp... Humid, tropical, vacation-style... All things we've never had before :^:

I've listed themed protagonist choices in a previous post...

exactly thank you Miami resident here.

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

mate, but you're constantly use IV and V as they were clones. those games cannot be more different.

IV has mature story, main character is authentic in things he does and did. where is the cringe? in Brucie's performance? Roman's? They're not a core for the game, just a positive crazyness for the depressing overtone. 

on the other hand you have V which is colourfull, packed with nice missions, but without the heavy tone. its the opposite for the previous instalment, so how can anybody use those alternately? 

iV is for older audience, V for younger, yet it has some creepy things in it.

and what do I have to VC? nothing, its as good game. but nothing more. its ok, beside the shallow Vercetti, who can appeal to 14 years old with his jokes. 

and - as you mentioned that VC is party city, ok, i can agree, and as someone who loves music i dont have problem with that. partying is still around. i can see VC as modern setting, with a lot of nightlife. do we have to dump 10 years of creating content for GTA V just becouse you need to have a limitation for those things? there can be a store with 80's themed clothes. a 80's music radio station, old cars in 2017. it doesnt go other way around. its a waste of >100gb of data. is that what you need? artificial nostalgia? thing that blocks a way for connecting those cities? you need that one-time usage product? i dont. i feel its a waste of time and opportunity to created something bigger, than a game from 2003 with better graphics.

good up beat story about murderers? what is it? ubisoft game? or creators of Manhunt? I dont know how old are You, and dont want to offen you, but you must be very young to reckon VC as NOT BORING (whereas, it has forgetable protag, whitout any baggage, anything that would drive me to fulfill my revenge), and IV BORING? how? was there anything more powerfull in VC story than Niko's anger and grief in last chapter? have you thought about Vercetti as a living person while cracking stupid jokes and genociding? isnt this a hidden reason why this sceries is and should stay M for MATURE, to deliver authentic and emotional content? dude, i cried at The Wedding and after killing Raskalov, becouse there was no relief. the revenge was bitter, not sweet. nothing changed, Roman/Kate was still dead, and nothing will change it, thus it was REMARKABLE ending, not just killing one dude, who put death sentence on us becouse we owe him some silly cash.

ha ha ha ha you cried  for a fictional video game character you wuss!  also I wasn't suggesting that  we have another vice city I was saying I didn't want one with a heavy tone or a mopey whining protag with baggage like niko or Michael. niko is a buzz kill who has to remind every friend he hangs with that no one grew up poorer than he did. i'm pretty sure there are plenty people who grew up sleeping in cars in America or homeless that would like to beg to differ. he's constantly drones on about the horrors he experienced in war  and all of the people he hangs with are just as melancholy weather is packie and his f*cked up family or Dwayne and all of the crazy girls he dates the only people in that game who seem normal are little Jacob, kate, malorie and roman. he spent half the game whining about finding that certain someone and when he finds him he's still not happy no matter what outcome you choose. then theres Michael always whining about how his life didn't turn out how he wanted it to. carrying that baggage about f*cking over his friends

. I wouldn't feel bad that was just him doing what he had to do. not to mention  all of the bull sh*t with his idiot family.  etc. the next gta doesn't need none of this crap  especially a gta set in vice city. rockstar never does the same thing in their games and they never make the same story or concepts so I'm not worried. If they make the next gta in vice city I don't want the story to tie into gta IV or V In  any way I don't want to see any characters from iv or V nothing I want a fresh new narrative and setting.thats what this series needs.  I don't care about emotional baggage that sh*t is for emo's and I imagine a lot of you sit in your houses or basements in black sweatpants and stay angry at the world. I care about action and gameplay fore most. I've been playing video games for 35 years. these modern game developers take themselves too seriously. these games that are trying too hard to be movies nowadays take themselves too seriously and a lot of you guys on this site take gaming too seriously.

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

oh yeah, now you started to insulting? 

I think I hit the right spot, so the "35+" got angry about not understanding propperly the value of games.

you are sad as f*ck, also lying im 100% sure.

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

:orly:  o'rly?well at least i dont cry over fictional video game characters. :lol:  if any work of fiction in makes you cry turn in your man card automatically. also you're the one who's mad obviously. I simply stated that I didn't agree with your wanting a vice city with a "fallen dream" because I didn't want another gta with a sad sack protagonist. then you swooped in and "started to insulting " me for having an opinion. I tried to close the conversation peacefully by simply stating that I like what I like and that s all that matters because i'm entitled to my opinion yet you continue to argue. you're the one who's mad over something so petty and immature. you're the one whos getting mad and attacking people because they don't like your favorite video game boo frickin hoo. cry me a fanboy river while youre at it. :cool:

• MisFit-138 likes this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

so yeah, it can work without 80s

LongLiveJojo
  • LongLiveJojo

RIP Lil Jojo.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think we should move to a different setting already. Vice City only works in the 80's.

HeistsActivist
  • HeistsActivist

Heists 2.0 Supporter and Activist

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I'm really getting tired of people saying Vice City won't be good unless it's in the 80's..... What!? Do you guys think Miami 2015 has become a utopia with a different color scheme/art style since 1984 Miami? I live here! I'm looking out the window right now and it looks just like VC in the 80's.

Everyone isn't rich in life sooooo.... some people are still driving 80's cars out here... Looks just like VC to me. I still see corrupt cops, junkies, poverty, crime and everything else that makes a good GTA city/story. Nothing changed but the cars... Hipsters here still dress like the 80's. All the buildings on Ocean Drive are still the same color with the same neon lights.. They added a sh*t TON more buildings downtown is all and, even then, they were still built in that same Art Deco style from 84... That area looks like Algongiun/Manhattan now... VCs CBD would be bigger than Los Santos downtown is...

Mainland Miami is about 90% unsafe and crime-riddled with the island of Miami Beach being 90% safe and peaceful... Perfect ratio for a GTA city. Be on one island if you like the glamour lifestyle or cross the bridge and play in the urban crime areas.....

As for story, so many possibilities. Protagonist could either be a drug smuggle boss, underworld night club owner, tax/money laundering ring leader, a criminal exile from out of country, a human trafficker, an international spy from Cuba, a member of the Jewish Mob (diamonds), a serial killer out for revenge from Carcer, an illegal car racing/import/export syndicate leader, a hit man from Cottonmouth... All these being actual predominant problems happening right now in Miami.... Miami is an international trade hub, as is NYC and LA, anything can happen. Not so much with the limited outside connections in Chicago, Detroit, Midwest

This!! The cities architecture isnt much different from the 80s. Like nyc still heavily dirty and graffitid up.

Being underworld night club owner, or cuban political exile be dope.Cant wait for r* comeback 305.

I think GTA VI if in Vice City should have a sort of Need For Speed twist and if we got at least 2 protagonists that'd be cool too. Maybe one character comes from a racing ring and does jobs for characters such as underworld night club owners and cuban political exiles

• SmokesWithCigs likes this

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I'm guessing it could. It doesn't seem totally like the 80's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users