Photo

Can Vice City work without the 80's?

133 replies to this topic
Rocket Skates
  • Rocket Skates

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:26 PM

Doubtful, really. 80's was the golden era for Miami, present day may come off as cheesy. Like what happened with V's LS, the whole overblown in-your-face satire/parody got annoying. It all feels plastic compared to SA's 90s LS atmosphere.

I have never agreed more with someone's comment on here than this one.

• Scaglietti, Son of Zeus and Ivan1997GTA like this

Maibatsu545
  • Maibatsu545

veritas vos liberabit

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:30 AM

Seems like most of the people saying Vice City can't work without the 80s just can't think outside the box. Same people who said V would never be set in Los Santos.
  • Scaglietti, The Deadite and Wingate167 like this

KingofVenturas
  • KingofVenturas

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:34 PM

I think L.A. is one of those places that could be parodied in any era, San Andreas was about the "Gangsta" culture and GTA V was more about the Hollywood culture.

• theGTAking101 likes this

Mercury_
  • Mercury_

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:27 PM

Yes, why not? GTA V takes place in Los Santos, as well as GTA San Andreas. So, it is possible. Maybe it hasn't the same sphere, 

but that doesn't make really sense in my opinion. The only thing what chances is the era, buildings, vehicles and that kind of stuff.  :lol:

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:08 PM

I think it can work. It would be interesting to see.

CarloSpicyWiener
  • CarloSpicyWiener

Can't think of a cool title to put here.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:44 PM

Of course it can. It's just a matter of whether or not it would be good.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:32 PM

It ultimately depends on how well the Story is written, and how it meshes with the Gameplay.

• CarloSpicyWiener and Zello like this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:11 PM

the music is still there. analog, oldschool, yet fresh and modern in quality standards.

its not called miami bass music without a reason. 

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:16 AM

Not much happens in Modern day Miami

Give me something in the past instead

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:49 PM

GTA V's story could have worked almost anywhere so.. yes. It wouldn't be half as good as if it were set in the 80s but yes it could work to some degree.

JStarr31
  • JStarr31

Vice Money Murder Gang {V.$.M.G}

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:41 AM Edited by JStarr31, 15 March 2016 - 04:30 AM.

Doubtful, really. 80's was the golden era for Miami, present day may come off as cheesy. Like what happened with V's LS, the whole overblown in-your-face satire/parody got annoying. It all feels plastic compared to SA's 90s LS atmosphere.

I have to respectfully disagree... Miami's atmosphere isn't plastic like say LA for instance.... People here aren't trying to be movie stars and entertainers around every corner like LA is known for... Miami mainly has a retirement/vacation/resort type of deal going on with a bunch of foreign people trying to make a quick American dollar.. Miami's vibe is heavily Caribbean influenced where everyone is still thinking in their homeland mind state... Nobody speaks English here lol

We have star-studded Events and Award Shows happening in the same area as 3rd world crimes... Crimes like human trafficking, international drug trade, full fledged "OK Corral" style shoot outs (mainly cops vs civilians), car chases, kidnappings, bank heists, some kinda of government corruption, zombies... And all of this happens daily, no exaggerations....

I swear I'm going to make a thread that documents Miami and its daily crimes... Miami resident will agree and know exactly how "GTA" it is out here... Where do you guys get your info from?

https://www.youtube....h?v=gmFrhQMHxcw

that video is so inaccurate and PC... That's south Beach not Miami they're showcasing.... Also, the first thing he said was like the most BEYOND STUPID statement ever and not a fact at all: "Miami is diverse because of its close proximity to Latin America". Then proceeds to show a Haitian flag. What?!!!??? Ummmm, California, New Mexico & Texas are closer to Latin America than Florida is and also we have a higher Caribbean Latin population than a Latin American one... Mainly Cubans and Dominicans, so that video is out the window....

Plus the special is about Biscayne Boulevard... What!!?? That's like expecting gang wars in Beverly Hills... Biscayne is THE major street down the coast line and runs through Downtown... The ONLY reason they chose that street is because that is LITERALLY the only safe avenue in the entire city, they really didn't have much choice... There's nothing but condos on Biscayne. Safe. It's a freakin tourist video, whadda'ya expect?

Also, people need to learn IRL South Beach is an island far away from the mainland Miami and is a separate city within the same county.... No crime or anything happens on South Beach except the occasional drunken brawls, celebrity spottings, and (somehow) maybe a shoot out... Mainland Miami is the polar opposite of the party and nightlife you see on TV about South Beach/Miami Beach... sh*t is mostly a war zone and third world-ish

I've lived in this city for 30yrs.... It is probably the wildest place in America, honestly.... And I've been to nearly all major cities except for LA and SF...

no because the setting will lack a "theme" (not the game, the setting)

- gritty, dangerous (III)
- neon, glamoru, sunny 80's (VC)
- "raw", hot dirty 90s (SA)
- cold, run-down concrete jungle (IV)
- bright fake-plastic hollywood style (V)
- humid, tropical, vacation-style (VI) 

What can a vice city in the 2010s bring on the table?
Plastic looking? done
Sunny city? Done
Run down atmpsphere? Done
I'm not saying you can't set a new game in a modern vice city, but the setting shouldn't be just a new map layout, but a total new (and never dove before) character.

Tropical.... Vice City would essentially be a giant tropical island with a swamp... Humid, tropical, vacation-style... All things we've never had before :^:

I've listed themed protagonist choices in a previous post...
  • Duxfever, Money Over Bullshit, SmokesWithCigs and 1 other like this

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:53 PM

I have to respectfully disagree... Miami's atmosphere isn't plastic like say LA for instance.... People here aren't trying to be movie stars and entertainers around every corner like LA is known for... Miami mainly has a retirement/vacation/resort type of deal going on with a bunch of foreign people trying to make a quick American dollar.. Miami's vibe is heavily Caribbean influenced where everyone is still thinking in their homeland mind state... Nobody speaks English here lol

We have star-studded Events and Award Shows happening in the same area as 3rd world crimes... Crimes like human trafficking, international drug trade, full fledged "OK Corral" style shoot outs (mainly cops vs civilians), car chases, kidnappings, bank heists, some kinda of government corruption, zombies... And all of this happens daily, no exaggerations....

I swear I'm going to make a thread that documents Miami and its daily crimes... Miami resident will agree and know exactly how "GTA" it is out here... Where do you guys get your info from?

that video is so inaccurate and PC... That's south Beach not Miami they're showcasing.... Also, the first thing he said was like the most BEYOND STUPID statement ever and not a fact at all: "Miami is diverse because of its close proximity to Latin America". Then proceeds to show a Haitian flag. What?!!!??? Ummmm, California, New Mexico & Texas are closer to Latin America than Florida is and also we have a higher Caribbean Latin population than a Latin American one... Mainly Cubans and Dominicans, so that video is out the window....

Plus the special is about Biscayne Boulevard... What!!?? That's like expecting gang wars in Beverly Hills... Biscayne is THE major street down the coast line and runs through Downtown... The ONLY reason they chose that street is because that is LITERALLY the only safe avenue in the entire city, they really didn't have much choice... There's nothing but condos on Biscayne. Safe. It's a freakin tourist video, whadda'ya expect?

Also, people need to learn IRL South Beach is an island far away from the mainland Miami and is a separate city within the same county.... No crime or anything happens on South Beach except the occasional drunken brawls, celebrity spottings, and (somehow) maybe a shoot out... Mainland Miami is the polar opposite of the party and nightlife you see on TV about South Beach/Miami Beach... sh*t is mostly a war zone and third world-ish

I've lived in this city for 30yrs.... It is probably the wildest place in America, honestly.... And I've been to nearly all major cities except for LA and SF...

no because the setting will lack a "theme" (not the game, the setting)

- gritty, dangerous (III)
- neon, glamoru, sunny 80's (VC)
- "raw", hot dirty 90s (SA)
- cold, run-down concrete jungle (IV)
- bright fake-plastic hollywood style (V)
- humid, tropical, vacation-style (VI) 

What can a vice city in the 2010s bring on the table?
Plastic looking? done
Sunny city? Done
Run down atmpsphere? Done
I'm not saying you can't set a new game in a modern vice city, but the setting shouldn't be just a new map layout, but a total new (and never dove before) character.

Tropical.... Vice City would essentially be a giant tropical island with a swamp... Humid, tropical, vacation-style... All things we've never had before :^:

I've listed themed protagonist choices in a previous post...

I don't think GTA V was really true to real life LA either like they basically ignored South Central and the massive gang culture in favour of a Hollywood Heist tale. This was likely in order to set it apart from San Andreas but still. When people think of Miami they either think of Miami Vice, Scarface or Cocaine Cowboys (which are all from the 80s). All we really see about modern Miami in the media are parties on South Beach or Mansions on the mainland. Even the Fast and Furious and the new(ish) Miami Vice movie painted it as a pretty glamorous place, then we had Dexter with its dark subject matter and bright (non gritty) visuals. To be honest I would love to see you give us an insight into what it's really like nowadays seeing as though you actually come from the area.

JStarr31
  • JStarr31

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:30 AM

I don't think GTA V was really true to real life LA either like they basically ignored South Central and the massive gang culture in favour of a Hollywood Heist tale. This was likely in order to set it apart from San Andreas but still. When people think of Miami they either think of Miami Vice, Scarface or Cocaine Cowboys (which are all from the 80s). All we really see about modern Miami in the media are parties on South Beach or Mansions on the mainland. Even the Fast and Furious and the new(ish) Miami Vice movie painted it as a pretty glamorous place, then we had Dexter with its dark subject matter and bright (non gritty) visuals. To be honest I would love to see you give us an insight into what it's really like nowadays seeing as though you actually come from the area.

You see, that's the thing... Miami is purposely showcasing the minimal glamour life we have left in hopes of TOURISM and COMPANIES, also holding on to those past "glory day" memories, come on down and spend that money our city needs... Truth is we are a poor city that's actually running out of the drug money that built and sustained us! There are no mansions on the mainland and there is no safe area. Crazy, right? Now we mainly import already established entities and use them to invest in the city and then piggy-back our way back into fame, take Brickell for example... It's mainly just banks. Banks all coincidently built during the bail out era... Other half residential... The rest of the city looks like the country Jamaica, and not the tourist spots either. We're even building the flat iron building from Manhattan... What? Such a corrupt and under-handed way of handling a metropolis..

Since the greater majority of Miami is actually a gun-saturated, drug riddled, self economizing, third world city; we've under gone heavy gentrification and commercial zoning in hopes of ACTUAL rich and powerful entities moving in and help clean up the "look" and "feel" of the city to that of what's being portrayed in the media to you folk.... Truth be told, some buildings here are actually empty shells bulky by a dummy corp investor then left for to be bought by bigger companies and then filled in as we go along... Most people here make it a life goal to move out, even if it's just to Broward.. Sad I know, but that's how wild it is..

Basically, we ran out of drug money and decided to invest remaining drug money into making Miami look appealing for investors and tourist because if we actually showed the real Miami NO ONE would give money to this place. It's so bad out here...I could turn to a life of crime by joining the justice department. Between the Haitians, Cubans, the mayor, the Jews that help the governent launder, corrupt customs department, and the drug trade, being alive or out of harms way is a lot harder than you think here

Google it... Everyday someone is shot, killed, kidnapped, robbed, a cop(s) is/are slain, drugs are caught by the hundreds of pounds, police chase, drive-bys, corruption, illegal immigration, someone is ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, comes up missing on a daily, etc.... We even LITERALLY had zombies, google it... Google everything I type... Trust me it's the perfect GTA waiting to happen
  • DimitriFaustin likes this

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:41 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 17 March 2016 - 01:43 PM.

You see, that's the thing... Miami is purposely showcasing the minimal glamour life we have left in hopes of TOURISM and COMPANIES, also holding on to those past "glory day" memories, come on down and spend that money our city needs... Truth is we are a poor city that's actually running out of the drug money that built and sustained us! There are no mansions on the mainland and there is no safe area. Crazy, right? Now we mainly import already established entities and use them to invest in the city and then piggy-back our way back into fame, take Brickell for example... It's mainly just banks. Banks all coincidently built during the bail out era... Other half residential... The rest of the city looks like the country Jamaica, and not the tourist spots either. We're even building the flat iron building from Manhattan... What? Such a corrupt and under-handed way of handling a metropolis..

Since the greater majority of Miami is actually a gun-saturated, drug riddled, self economizing, third world city; we've under gone heavy gentrification and commercial zoning in hopes of ACTUAL rich and powerful entities moving in and help clean up the "look" and "feel" of the city to that of what's being portrayed in the media to you folk.... Truth be told, some buildings here are actually empty shells bulky by a dummy corp investor then left for to be bought by bigger companies and then filled in as we go along... Most people here make it a life goal to move out, even if it's just to Broward.. Sad I know, but that's how wild it is..

Basically, we ran out of drug money and decided to invest remaining drug money into making Miami look appealing for investors and tourist because if we actually showed the real Miami NO ONE would give money to this place. It's so bad out here...I could turn to a life of crime by joining the justice department. Between the Haitians, Cubans, the mayor, the Jews that help the governent launder, corrupt customs department, and the drug trade, being alive or out of harms way is a lot harder than you think here

Google it... Everyday someone is shot, killed, kidnapped, robbed, a cop(s) is/are slain, drugs are caught by the hundreds of pounds, police chase, drive-bys, corruption, illegal immigration, someone is ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, comes up missing on a daily, etc.... We even LITERALLY had zombies, google it... Google everything I type... Trust me it's the perfect GTA waiting to happen

By mansions on the mainland I meant places like Coral Gables and Coconut Grove. What you're saying is really interesting though. Would you say the past few years (since the start of the recession) is the worst its ever been there? I've seen a couple of documentaries but they seem to portray it as just your average American city in terms of crime but from what you're saying the reality is far worse. Would it be on par with the likes of New Orleans?

The only American city I've been to is New York and I walked through places like Harlem and Brooklyn and Long Island City in Queens. Out of the three I would say LIC probably has the most dangerous vibe to it.. it's one of those places where the locals act like they're still in their own country and we heard a few stories of people being mugged on the subway and stuff but it wasn't really any worse than where I come from. East Harlem was kind of dodgy aswell but mostly because you just felt really out of place seeing as though there literally aren't any white people. I didn't go to the Bronx but I'm thinking I probably wouldn't want to. It was kind of funny like there was this one neighbourhood close to Central Park that we walked through and a couple of construction workers said to us "guys this is a bad neighbourhood you need to get out of here fast" and we were just kind of like "what? this is one of the nicest places we've seen in the whole city" haha. Strangely enough Times Square is actually not as glamorous as you'd think. We got offered drugs there on several occasions and one guy tried to tempt us into going to a brothel although I suspect that he was actually probably leading us into a robbery.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

I live in New York and yeah, it's not as glamarous as it's made out to be. At least Times Square isn't.

Keka jr 97
  • Keka jr 97

Gambetti Family and Vagos affiliated

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:46 PM

what about the whole state of Florida at present time or 2000s, and then, with flashbacks to other decades of the same state. they even could explore the idea of multiple playable characters, like playing with a character's parent or something. i guess that would keep almost everybody happy and it could be a nice change of scenery, seeing how a city/state evolved from past times. 

JStarr31
  • JStarr31

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:42 AM Edited by JStarr31, 18 March 2016 - 04:47 AM.

By mansions on the mainland I meant places like Coral Gables and Coconut Grove. What you're saying is really interesting though. Would you say the past few years (since the start of the recession) is the worst its ever been there? I've seen a couple of documentaries but they seem to portray it as just your average American city in terms of crime but from what you're saying the reality is far worse. Would it be on par with the likes of New Orleans?

The only American city I've been to is New York and I walked through places like Harlem and Brooklyn and Long Island City in Queens. Out of the three I would say LIC probably has the most dangerous vibe to it.. it's one of those places where the locals act like they're still in their own country and we heard a few stories of people being mugged on the subway and stuff but it wasn't really any worse than where I come from. East Harlem was kind of dodgy aswell but mostly because you just felt really out of place seeing as though there literally aren't any white people. I didn't go to the Bronx but I'm thinking I probably wouldn't want to. It was kind of funny like there was this one neighbourhood close to Central Park that we walked through and a couple of construction workers said to us "guys this is a bad neighbourhood you need to get out of here fast" and we were just kind of like "what? this is one of the nicest places we've seen in the whole city" haha. Strangely enough Times Square is actually not as glamorous as you'd think. We got offered drugs there on several occasions and one guy tried to tempt us into going to a brothel although I suspect that he was actually probably leading us into a robbery.

See, that's the thing... Coral Gables and Coconut Grove aren't safe place either! More so The Grove than Gables... It's called The Grove and nicknamed so waaaay before 2004... Sorry SA fans... There's literally only a nice mall area in the grove and the rest is dangerous, especially after hours... And, on par with New Orleans is not the question... The question is, why is Miami not Chicago? Th who were are on par with and maybe even more dangerous and killings... Cause it's only in Southside Chicago, here, it's ALL of Miami. We're even starting to gain a biker gang/trailer park boys type of crowd bring in acid and heroine to Miami. They're mostly quiet

I have family in NY and that place was a lot worst in the 90's... Now it's safe as hell... In comparison to Miami, it's a dirty paradise... Way safer than here.. No exaggerations. I have NY friends no associates who regularly joke how New Jersey is becoming the new Miami in terms of crime.. I frequent NY (driving) and can tell you that people are just shysters and know tourist when they see one...

Scenario... In NY you'd get robbed at knife point at worst and asked to give up the goods, worst get stabbed or cut... Walk away with your life. Even if it's at gun point, there's a very high chance he won't kill you if you cooperate. You only get shot in NY for business/personally reasons, but you knew you knew you had it coming

Vs.

In Miami you'd get robbed at minimum gun point and asked to lay down. At best, you walk away hurt and maybe shot in the leg... Hoping to walk away with your life. At worst, you're shot, possible fatally and everyone within a 20 yard radius was also in fear of getting shot cuz the gunman is just shooting aimlessly in your direction. AK47 is the standard gun out here, nothing less, and you can get shot randomly ranging from botch robbery to stray gunfire... even on the highway while driving

Th 80's were wild but the late 90's and 2010's are the Wild Wild West times... Cuz now, it's not about hierarchy and code, it's about whoever got the biggest gun wins... Whether that gun is bought off or muscled, the best product or the most connected... The biggest gun wins..

All this while tourists get their Caribbean on in the sun on an island away from it all

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:24 PM

See, that's the thing... Coral Gables and Coconut Grove aren't safe place either! More so The Grove than Gables... It's called The Grove and nicknamed so waaaay before 2004... Sorry SA fans... There's literally only a nice mall area in the grove and the rest is dangerous, especially after hours... And, on par with New Orleans is not the question... The question is, why is Miami not Chicago? Th who were are on par with and maybe even more dangerous and killings... Cause it's only in Southside Chicago, here, it's ALL of Miami. We're even starting to gain a biker gang/trailer park boys type of crowd bring in acid and heroine to Miami. They're mostly quiet

I have family in NY and that place was a lot worst in the 90's... Now it's safe as hell... In comparison to Miami, it's a dirty paradise... Way safer than here.. No exaggerations. I have NY friends no associates who regularly joke how New Jersey is becoming the new Miami in terms of crime.. I frequent NY (driving) and can tell you that people are just shysters and know tourist when they see one...

Scenario... In NY you'd get robbed at knife point at worst and asked to give up the goods, worst get stabbed or cut... Walk away with your life. Even if it's at gun point, there's a very high chance he won't kill you if you cooperate. You only get shot in NY for business/personally reasons, but you knew you knew you had it coming

Vs.

In Miami you'd get robbed at minimum gun point and asked to lay down. At best, you walk away hurt and maybe shot in the leg... Hoping to walk away with your life. At worst, you're shot, possible fatally and everyone within a 20 yard radius was also in fear of getting shot cuz the gunman is just shooting aimlessly in your direction. AK47 is the standard gun out here, nothing less, and you can get shot randomly ranging from botch robbery to stray gunfire... even on the highway while driving

Th 80's were wild but the late 90's and 2010's are the Wild Wild West times... Cuz now, it's not about hierarchy and code, it's about whoever got the biggest gun wins... Whether that gun is bought off or muscled, the best product or the most connected... The biggest gun wins..

All this while tourists get their Caribbean on in the sun on an island away from it all

Jesus.. sounds like one hell of a place haha. Do you mind me asking what neighbourhood you're from?

The way you're describing it it sounds a lot like Brazil where you have these huge ghettos right beside the really affluent touristy spots. A lot of out of town money that never quite makes it across the river. I think people being more in favour of a Vice City game being set in the 80s is mostly just down to them being able to equate it to a time period they've seen in the movies and on TV. From what you're saying though it seems like now would be as good a time as any to base a game there i.e. just as good, if not better than the 80s. You really need to have that insider knowledge in order to see the potential though which is why I think a lot of people would just write it off without even looking into it.

JStarr31
  • JStarr31

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:04 PM Edited by JStarr31, 19 March 2016 - 03:15 AM.

Jesus.. sounds like one hell of a place haha. Do you mind me asking what neighbourhood you're from?

The way you're describing it it sounds a lot like Brazil where you have these huge ghettos right beside the really affluent touristy spots. A lot of out of town money that never quite makes it across the river. I think people being more in favour of a Vice City game being set in the 80s is mostly just down to them being able to equate it to a time period they've seen in the movies and on TV. From what you're saying though it seems like now would be as good a time as any to base a game there i.e. just as good, if not better than the 80s. You really need to have that insider knowledge in order to see the potential though which is why I think a lot of people would just write it off without even looking into it.

In terms of the affluent society's proximity to the poverish, then yes we're are like Brazil, but more so LA. See, LA has no zoning laws and can build whatever right next to where ever resulting in the rich living next to the poor... Here, everything WAS zoned off properly but the cowboys and cartels quickly ruined that... So the rich moved to broward or the island while everything else was left to the hungry and corrupted... Drug money sustained what was left and still does today... Tourism helps with the rebuild...

As for the money never making across the river, it only does when it benefits tourism... Like Carol City being cleaned up and renamed Miami Gardens (still EXTREMELY dangerous at night)... That was done because of its really close proximity to Dolphin stadium and artery highways. A lot of tourist got lost in Carol City very easily trying to make it to a Dolphins game just to get robbed and nearly killed... So less and less ppl started going to Dolphins games.. To fight this, they cleaned up and rebuilt the area, renamed it something appealing and safe sounding like "Miami Gardens", rebuilt the turnpike exit so you CAN'T end up in the hood, and showcased the nice parts and sure enough people started coming back...

Marlins Stadium is even worst! It's in the dead center of the hood in Little Havana... Like really? Not even separated by a big avenue, nope, literally a skinny street on the east and south sides with low income apartments lining them with parallel parking for both the stadium and the residents? People who go there don't even know or maybe they do lol...

I'm from North Miami 125th & 6th Avenue... A place called "The 6ix" waaaaay before Drake. We called it that since I was a younin' and still do... I've seen my principal get shot at in Juior high school, right on the steps of the school! No exaggerations... And my area is the mild area as dangerous as it is... My cousin who lives with me now is from an area we call "the city" (Liberty City) on 46th & 12 ave... He moved with us during high school cuz too many of his friends were either getting locked up for drugs or getting shot.. Once he got shot at playing ball at Charles Hadley park and that's when my aunt sent him to us...

I'm telling you Miami is wilder than TV and the 80's... Google everything I type... Put 'past week' and 'shootings', see how many articles pop up
  • DimitriFaustin likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

Marlins Stadium is even worst! It's in the dead center of the hood in Little Havana... Like really? Not even separated by a big avenue, nope, literally a skinny street on the east and south sides with low income apartments lining them with parallel parking for both the stadium and the residents? People who go there don't even know or maybe they do lol...

Last summer I spent a night near there with some family. It looked like a 3rd world country there were a bunch of American flags everywhere to let you know that you were still in the states lol.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:14 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 20 March 2016 - 03:16 PM.

In terms of the affluent society's proximity to the poverish, then yes we're are like Brazil, but more so LA. See, LA has no zoning laws and can build whatever right next to where ever resulting in the rich living next to the poor... Here, everything WAS zoned off properly but the cowboys and cartels quickly ruined that... So the rich moved to broward or the island while everything else was left to the hungry and corrupted... Drug money sustained what was left and still does today... Tourism helps with the rebuild...

As for the money never making across the river, it only does when it benefits tourism... Like Carol City being cleaned up and renamed Miami Gardens (still EXTREMELY dangerous at night)... That was done because of its really close proximity to Dolphin stadium and artery highways. A lot of tourist got lost in Carol City very easily trying to make it to a Dolphins game just to get robbed and nearly killed... So less and less ppl started going to Dolphins games.. To fight this, they cleaned up and rebuilt the area, renamed it something appealing and safe sounding like "Miami Gardens", rebuilt the turnpike exit so you CAN'T end up in the hood, and showcased the nice parts and sure enough people started coming back...

I'm from North Miami 125th & 6th Avenue... A place called "The 6ix" waaaaay before Drake. We called it that since I was a younin' and still do... I've seen my principal get shot at in Juior high school, right on the steps of the school! No exaggerations... And my area is the mild area as dangerous as it is... My cousin who lives with me now is from an area we call "the city" (Liberty City) on 46th & 12 ave... He moved with us during high school cuz too many of his friends were either getting locked up for drugs or getting shot.. Once he got shot at playing ball at Charles Hadley park and that's when my aunt sent him to us...

I'm telling you Miami is wilder than TV and the 80's... Google everything I type... Put 'past week' and 'shootings', see how many articles pop up

A friend of mine put me on to this video.. some bits are a little bit corny but I feel like it gives a good insight into the various hoods in the mainland.. even North Miami gets its own segment :)

It reminds me of my teenage years back in the early to mid 2000s when Southern Hip Hop was big. Me and my buddies used to just hang around smoking hash and making up sh*tty raps (that's right.. we couldn't even afford to buy weed). I live in the suburbs but my area was pretty dangerous back then.. nowhere near as bad as some of the places in that video but stabbings and severe beatings were quite common. One time I myself got stabbed in what was supposed to be a fist fight. As I grew older I got some sense and went to college but I could have easily gone the other way. I had pretty much no direction in life which is a mindset a lot of people in my city still have. There are other areas that are a lot worse here too and the segment they do in Liberty City reminds me of some of the inner city areas that have housing complexes that are all built around a central courtyard like the ones in the video. They're like their own little self contained communities and nobody ever really strays to far outside.. nor does anybody from the outside ever really go in. It's almost as if they were purposefully built to confine all of the drug use and debauchery to one little area. The flip side to that though is that if the police have to go in there there are so many little shortcuts and hidey holes that they rarely catch who they're looking for. These areas were really crazy in the late 80s and 90s when heroin use was at its highest and the drug gangs pretty much ran these communities. The police were the absolute enemy and if they strayed in there they would be subjected to a barrage of petrol bombs being thrown from the balconies. Miami seems to be the same way only that there has been no efforts made to clean up the hood and the gangs are a lot more heavily armed over there. From what I know of the American system it's completely two tiered with very little opportunity for people to ascend to a better way of life especially those of a non white ethnicity which also makes the situation there a lot bleaker and creates a vicious cycle in certain communities like the ones featured here. I think this may be another reason for people wanting a game based around the more glamorous side of life... many people have no idea what life is like on the other side (and therefore lack the the insight to see the potential in a modern day Miami) and the others want to play games as an escape from what's going on outside their door. For me though the grittier the games are the better. What Rockstar should do is take some of their billions and put it into communities like that in return for the locals showing them around the real Miami so that they can make a game that gives a real life representation of the area in all its glory.

WATER DRAGON
  • WATER DRAGON

Trick

• Members

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:14 AM

It'll work but we'll need DJ Khaled as a radio DJ for an in game radio station.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:57 AM

I guess it could work but we just had two full games set in the present.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:06 PM

I guess it could work but we just had two full games set in the present.

So far nothing in the HD Era has been set in the past so if that's the current trend then if we do get a game set in Vice City then it will most likely be set in the present day. Rockstar already did VC in the 80s so they're not going to do it again.. I think the real question here is do people want to see a modern day Vice City and I think the answer is yes.. a lot of people just don't know it yet.

Versous
  • Versous

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:53 PM Edited by Versous, 27 March 2016 - 05:15 PM.

One thing people tend to forget about is: Its possible to put almost everything that you need for that -sort of 80's- feeling into a modern day miami.

Cars/planes/bikes?A car dealer with all types of oldschool cars will have everything you need. The game will also have less modern planes and bikes.

Music? 80's radio station. Just re use a lot of songs from the the original vice city and more.

Weapons? Wouldn't make a lot of sense to use oldschool weapons if you can buy that modern day high tech uzi but you could still implement some tight pistol for those who want it. Of course multiplayer games could have restrictions that force you to use certain type of weapons/cars too.

I don't support the idea of having a game where you can switch between 80's and 2020 or whatever. It may sound cool on paper but the ressources needed to rebuild the 80's setting could be used in much better ways such as creating a spectacular countryside or a new fresh city.

• Money Over Bullshit and JStarr31 like this

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

One thing people tend to forget about is: Its possible to put almost everything that you need for that -sort of 80's- feeling into a modern day miami.

Cars/planes/bikes?A car dealer with all types of oldschool cars will have everything you need. The game will also have less modern planes and bikes.

Music? 80's radio station. Just re use a lot of songs from the the original vice city and more.

Weapons? Wouldn't make a lot of sense to use oldschool weapons if you can buy that modern day high tech uzi but you could still implement some tight pistol for those who want it. Of course multiplayer games could have restrictions that force you to use certain type of weapons/cars too.

I don't support the idea of having a game where you can switch between 80's and 2020 or whatever. It may sound cool on paper but the ressources needed to rebuild the 80's setting could be used in much better ways such as creating a spectacular countryside or a new fresh city.

As much as I'd love to see an 80s Vice City done more realistically I kind of have to agree with you. As I've said before if Rockstar are going to revisit VC then a modern setting is an overwhelming possibility. They also wouldn't be able to pass up the opportunity of enhancing the game in the future with retro style assets and features.. it's pretty much a no-brainer for ensuring the longevity of the game. It's likely that we'll only get one more full game on this generation of consoles so they really need to capitalise on the demand and release something which has the greatest opportunity to turn a big profit. The only other real opportunities they have to capitalise on nostalgia is to have a game set in San Fierro and/or Las Venturas but with those settings a past time setting seems to be even more of a necessity. The original triumvirate of cities was Liberty City (NYC), Vice City (Miami) and San Andreas (San Francisco) which was renamed San Fierro in the 3D universe. This generation we've already seen Liberty City and part of San Andreas so the only missing piece now seems to be Miami/Vice City. There is always the possibility that they will set a game elsewhere but it just seems like too much of a risk in my opinion when they will no doubt be trying to either match or top the sales of GTA V.

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

I would really love to see Vice City in the HD universe, but '80s Vice City has seriously been overdone.

Let's see:

2D Universe: Vice City in 1997 in GTA 1

3D Universe: Vice City in 1986 (VC) and 1984 (VCS)

1980s Vice City is basically nothing more than a cliche, and the point of the HD games was really to make the games fresh again. As many times as Liberty City has been featured in the GTA multiverse, IV brought a truly unique vision of Liberty City. San Andreas looked much more alive and real with V, so all these efforts would be for naught if R* decided to go retro again.

To be really honest, I wish there was originality in the products of this decade (no offense to some of the really fine work I've seen on these forums). So, my opinion is that Vice City in a present day GTA would hit all the right spots.

Miami has always come across me as Florida's own Detroit. Property theft is still really common, and JStarr31 above hit the nail on the head talking about Miami.

Just my two cents here.

• JStarr31 likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:26 PM

Of course it could. There are a lot of criminal activities going on in Miami. It's also growing, real estate is very much a thing over there and I'm very certain that some of it is shady.

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

It can work, but it has to expand.

Vice City itself needs to be bigger, and the map needs to extend south to the Everglades and north to a Rockstar version of Orlando. That would work well and make the location fresh.

Most people miss VC not just for the 80s, but also for the empire building story. If they bring back the ability and buy and develop properties again, then the game will still also feel fresh, without the 80s setting.

MakeAmericaGreatAgain
  • MakeAmericaGreatAgain

British and Proud

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

Yes!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users