Can Vice City work without the 80's?

133 replies to this topic
Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:42 PM

Nah, it wouldn't work, the only recent interesting thing that has happened in Miami is the Heat winning 2 championships, it'd be boring.

SaintsAndreas
  • SaintsAndreas

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

I'd love a Vice City game set in the early 2000s or mid 90s
  • The Ghost 206 and R3CON like this

The Ghost 206
  • The Ghost 206

H.N.I.C.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:07 PM

Vice city in the 90s would work. Seeing how vice city recovered from Tommy taking it over 10 years ago

Hazelnot
  • Hazelnot

a gay

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:54 PM

Modern Vice would totally work, but I'd rather have a GTA set in the past again. Doesn't matter where or when, just not present day again.

But I'd only be a bit disappointed if it's present day again, as long as it's fun.

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

Token black guy.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:17 PM

It could certainly work but I would rather it be in the 80s tbh.

guiguido
  • guiguido

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:47 PM

To be honest, I'd rather see a present day Vice City than the 80s. Already played this one.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:30 AM Edited by PulpFiction, 07 October 2015 - 05:31 AM.

I was thinking the other day one reason I think it might not be a good idea to revisit VC in the 80s again apart from obviously having direct comparisons to the original is VC just has this "magic" about it that I don't even think VCS was able to replicate.

In ways I think the blocky graphics, jerky animations etc made VC feel like it was literally a game from the 80s. I don't mean to say for its time it was outdated or anything, but it was more than just the 80s setting that VC what it was .

I don't think it would be possible to recapture that "magic" again. VCS wasn't even able to IMO.
  • UshaB likes this

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:48 AM

I'd say it's because Tommy suited the 80's vibe. His Hawaiian shirt and his accent just complements that. VCS couldn't really capture that magic that VC did because we were given a serious protagonist, Victor Vance. Vic, being a soldier, had that, "party pooper" vibe he didn't have that flare about him. Tommy is very Bruce Wayneyish whereas Vic is more Batmanish. 

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:12 AM

I'd say it's because Tommy suited the 80's vibe. His Hawaiian shirt and his accent just complements that. VCS couldn't really capture that magic that VC did because we were given a serious protagonist, Victor Vance. Vic, being a soldier, had that, "party pooper" vibe he didn't have that flare about him. Tommy is very Bruce Wayneyish whereas Vic is more Batmanish. 

To be fair to Victor, his Time in Vice City didn't exactly go to plan.

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:36 AM

R* lied it was PETE!! PETE I TELL YOU!!!! *starts crying*  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:45 AM

Definitely. The partying, drugs, wealth, beach, condos, water, it all would work. That's why I hope VI is set in Vice City and I hope they capture the vibe perfectly. I'm eager to explore a flat and diverse city.

JStarr31
  • JStarr31

Vice Money Murder Gang {V.$.M.G}

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:24 AM Edited by JStarr31, 08 October 2015 - 03:28 AM.

I'm really getting tired of people saying Vice City won't be good unless it's in the 80's..... What!? Do you guys think Miami 2015 has become a utopia with a different color scheme/art style since 1984 Miami? I live here! I'm looking out the window right now and it looks just like VC in the 80's.

Everyone isn't rich in life sooooo.... some people are still driving 80's cars out here... Looks just like VC to me. I still see corrupt cops, junkies, poverty, crime and everything else that makes a good GTA city/story. Nothing changed but the cars... Hipsters here still dress like the 80's. All the buildings on Ocean Drive are still the same color with the same neon lights.. They added a sh*t TON more buildings downtown is all and, even then, they were still built in that same Art Deco style from 84... That area looks like Algongiun/Manhattan now... VCs CBD would be bigger than Los Santos downtown is...

Mainland Miami is about 90% unsafe and crime-riddled with the island of Miami Beach being 90% safe and peaceful... Perfect ratio for a GTA city. Be on one island if you like the glamour lifestyle or cross the bridge and play in the urban crime areas.....

As for story, so many possibilities. Protagonist could either be a drug smuggle boss, underworld night club owner, tax/money laundering ring leader, a criminal exile from out of country, a human trafficker, an international spy from Cuba, a member of the Jewish Mob (diamonds), a serial killer out for revenge from Carcer, an illegal car racing/import/export syndicate leader, a hit man from Cottonmouth... All these being actual predominant problems happening right now in Miami.... Miami is an international trade hub, as is NYC and LA, anything can happen. Not so much with the limited outside connections in Chicago, Detroit, Midwest
  • The Mysterious One, Rico44, Journey_95 and 7 others like this

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Coke Baron

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:34 PM

^ Spot on, right on the money. This is the reason i want to go back to Vice city. Diversity!!!

• JStarr31 likes this

Infvred
  • Infvred

Nobody Cares

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:03 PM

I'm really getting tired of people saying Vice City won't be good unless it's in the 80's..... What!? Do you guys think Miami 2015 has become a utopia with a different color scheme/art style since 1984 Miami? I live here! I'm looking out the window right now and it looks just like VC in the 80's.

Everyone isn't rich in life sooooo.... some people are still driving 80's cars out here... Looks just like VC to me. I still see corrupt cops, junkies, poverty, crime and everything else that makes a good GTA city/story. Nothing changed but the cars... Hipsters here still dress like the 80's. All the buildings on Ocean Drive are still the same color with the same neon lights.. They added a sh*t TON more buildings downtown is all and, even then, they were still built in that same Art Deco style from 84... That area looks like Algongiun/Manhattan now... VCs CBD would be bigger than Los Santos downtown is...

Mainland Miami is about 90% unsafe and crime-riddled with the island of Miami Beach being 90% safe and peaceful... Perfect ratio for a GTA city. Be on one island if you like the glamour lifestyle or cross the bridge and play in the urban crime areas.....

As for story, so many possibilities. Protagonist could either be a drug smuggle boss, underworld night club owner, tax/money laundering ring leader, a criminal exile from out of country, a human trafficker, an international spy from Cuba, a member of the Jewish Mob (diamonds), a serial killer out for revenge from Carcer, an illegal car racing/import/export syndicate leader, a hit man from Cottonmouth... All these being actual predominant problems happening right now in Miami.... Miami is an international trade hub, as is NYC and LA, anything can happen. Not so much with the limited outside connections in Chicago, Detroit, Midwest

This!! The cities architecture isnt much different from the 80s. Like nyc still heavily dirty and graffitid up.

Being underworld night club owner, or cuban political exile be dope.Cant wait for r* comeback 305.
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:02 PM

I don't think Rockstar will make a GTA game set in the past for the foreseeable future

• DimitriFaustin likes this

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

Everyone's favorite Uncle, but not Led-By.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:55 AM

I don't think Rockstar will make a GTA game set in the past for the foreseeable future

Which is a shame....

A 70's game set in 'Chicago', with all the unrest and tension would make an awesome setting. Plus it would make calling services via payphone and jobs like visiting the bank actually important again, instead of doing everything from a Smartphone.

As for Vice City not 80's? Yeah, it would work, of course it would.

rampage08
  • rampage08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:20 AM Edited by rampage08, 26 February 2016 - 10:21 AM.

I'd like to see a retro GTA from HD era. Though making another Vice City game again would be hard since the 3d Era VC is hard to top.

@topic : sure, why not ?

KingofVenturas
  • KingofVenturas

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

It would be nice to have an everglades/swamp area, I think it's the only land type GTA hasn't really done yet.

• Journey_95, GTA-Biker and Ivan1997GTA like this

JStarr31
  • JStarr31

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:50 PM Edited by JStarr31, 03 March 2016 - 07:45 AM.

I'd like to see a retro GTA from HD era. Though making another Vice City game again would be hard since the 3d Era VC is hard to top.

Hard to top? 3D VC was a TERRIBLE representation of RL Miami, terrible... Waaaayyy worst than SA's LS... I mean im glad the game is a classic and all but that was NOT Miami or even a good map

Only Ocean Drive was accurate... Evereything else was way off the mark... Might as well have been a made up city like III's LC.. Plus that was the smallest map ever, Miami is a decent sized city

It would be nice to have an everglades/swamp area, I think it's the only land type GTA hasn't really done yet.

Ummm, Barranca Zancudo would like a word with you.... 

Its almost like they added a mini swamp area to test it for a fututre use... Hmmmm #ViceCityConfirmed

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Coke Baron

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:14 PM

Vice City could do well off without the 80s theme. Miami is diverse, They have suburbs, projects, high end houses, downtown, beach and the Swamps and everglades.

The theme would be great for a drug building empire. I have amazing ideas, but i rather not discuss them here.

rampage08
  • rampage08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:18 AM

Hard to top? 3D VC was a TERRIBLE representation of RL Miami, terrible... Waaaayyy worst than SA's LS... I mean im glad the game is a classic and all but that was NOT Miami or even a good map

Only Ocean Drive was accurate... Evereything else was way off the mark... Might as well have been a made up city like III's LC.. Plus that was the smallest map ever, Miami is a decent sized city

I didn't say anything about the map did i ? I was talking about how great the game was not the map.
  • JStarr31 likes this

Rocket Skates
  • Rocket Skates

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:44 AM

Nope.

JStarr31
  • JStarr31

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:46 AM

Nope.

You sir have no idea what you're talking about...

Rocket Skates
  • Rocket Skates

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:55 AM

You sir have no idea what you're talking about...

You sir can back off and learn to tolerate other people's opinions...

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

no because the setting will lack a "theme" (not the game, the setting)

- gritty, dangerous (III)

- neon, glamoru, sunny 80's (vc)

- "raw", hot dirty 90s (SA)

- cold, run-down concrete jungle (IV)

- bright fake-plastic hollywood style (V)

What can a vice city in the 2010s bring on the table?

Plastic looking? done

Sunny city? Done

Run down atmpsphere? Done

I'm not saying you can't set a new game in a modern vice city, but the setting shouldn't be just a new map layout, but a total new (and never dove before) character.

• Rocket Skates, Pedinhuh and Son of Zeus like this

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

Still King

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:36 PM

Doubtful, really. 80's was the golden era for Miami, present day may come off as cheesy. Like what happened with V's LS, the whole overblown in-your-face satire/parody got annoying. It all feels plastic compared to SA's 90s LS atmosphere.
  • Rocket Skates likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:39 PM

Doubtful, really. 80's was the golden era for Miami, present day may come off as cheesy. Like what happened with V's LS, the whole overblown in-your-face satire/parody got annoying. It all feels plastic compared to SA's 90s LS atmosphere.

Damn. In this case, Vice City has been badly Type-Cast then.

Thoughts?

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:56 PM Edited by evd, 03 March 2016 - 01:57 PM.

Plastic looking? done

Sunny city? Done

I'm not saying you can't set a new game in a modern vice city, but the setting shouldn't be just a new map layout, but a total new (and never dove before) character.

That's obvious, that adult people would like to play as someone new, not Tommy Vercetti.

and how does IV differentiate from III? those two games were similar in tone and atmosphere, both were great, so the theme isnt that important as it is plot and characters.

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:12 PM

Plastic looking? done

Sunny city? Done

That's obvious, that adult people would like to play as someone new, not Tommy Vercetti.

and how does IV differentiate from III? those two games were similar in tone and atmosphere, both were great, so the theme isnt that important as it is plot and characters.

My bad, my english isn't perfect  :colgate:

What i meant was "the city should't be just a new layout, a new set of houses, roads and trees, but should be treated like a new character, with a personality, motivations and ambitions (yes, even a simple thing like the city need its own attitude)"

IV is way different from III.

liberty in III is a dangerous city. Dark, gloomy, rainy and foggy, almost "horror-like" in some places. The echoes sound everywhere, it's a city of screams and guns (the most common sounds)

IV is a gray (NOT dull, just gray) jungle of buildings, dirt, abandonment and poverty. The gray/brown color scale gives an idea of a a state of decadence. Less dangerous, but dead inside.

at least those are the feeling the cities give me during gameplay

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:32 PM Edited by evd, 03 March 2016 - 02:37 PM.

I understand, but You also forgot about some weird myths from IV, like Ratman, ghost factor, which gives players some chills.

overall those cities are very similar afterall.

something that V lacked were those big mansions, villas, which you visited (yeah, there was Devin and Madrazo, but they werent cold mafia bosses), explored and wanted to live in.

in Vice City you should have more closed drug-imperial estates like Diaz's. but without this clowny vibe from 80's. im not a fan of cliches, and GTA:VC were full of it. 

lets move on, put some hugo boss suit on, drive new ferrari. maybe for a contrast, lets have a second character, a female, from suburbian gang like Top 6, which I decided to watch a doc about becouse of this thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users