The GTA V Story Mode DLC Speculation Thread

10,165 replies to this topic
Len Lfc
  • Len Lfc

N7

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:25 PM

there is no longer any rhtme or reason for most things... just look at the title of the next Red Dead game lol. 

Pretty sure that's just brand recognition, though. Most people know what a "Red Dead Redemption" game is. If it were Red Dead R... something else, many people won't be sure. Sticking a 2 on the end is the easiest and simplest. Red Dead is popular, but it's no Grand Theft Auto. There's definitely a rhyme and a reason for its naming.

DisCrafted
  • DisCrafted

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

So people always bring up the RDR2 thing. Tbh, R* never counted Redemption as a "sequel" to Revolver, instead as a spiritual successor. I guess that makes Redemption a franchise of its own? Although i'd like to bring up the fact that there's a "Red Dead" logo in RDR's website. Kinda stating that RED DEAD (not Redemption) is a brand/franchise. Who knows. Maybe they changed their mind and decided to go with RDR2 later. As for subtitled GTAs, they're done. Actually we kinda got them, TBoGT and TLaD are basically subtitled iterations, they use the same engine, just like Vice City and San Andreas did with III's engine. They were kind of new stories. As for V, the SP DLCs, it was going to be the same i guess. Aliens - Zombies and a DLC codenamed AGENT which was about Trevor working with IAA. Numbered GTAs are numbered because they change up the franchise, they use a new release build of RAGE with each game and game mechanics get changed/tweaked or new ones get added. It's basically an evolution. You can bet we're going to be seeing Grand Theft Auto VI next.

• theGTAking101, TheFranchise and D4RKN06 like this

D4RKN06
  • D4RKN06

Square Civilian

• Members
  • France

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:17 PM

So people always bring up the RDR2 thing. Tbh, R* never counted Redemption as a "sequel" to Revolver, instead as a spiritual successor. I guess that makes Redemption a franchise of its own? Although i'd like to bring up the fact that there's a "Red Dead" logo in RDR's website. Kinda stating that RED DEAD (not Redemption) is a brand/franchise. Who knows. Maybe they changed their mind and decided to go with RDR2 later. As for subtitled GTAs, they're done. Actually we kinda got them, TBoGT and TLaD are basically subtitled iterations, they use the same engine, just like Vice City and San Andreas did with III's engine. They were kind of new stories. As for V, the SP DLCs, it was going to be the same i guess. Aliens - Zombies and a DLC codenamed AGENT which was about Trevor working with IAA. Numbered GTAs are numbered because they change up the franchise, they use a new release build of RAGE with each game and game mechanics get changed/tweaked or new ones get added. It's basically an evolution. You can bet we're going to be seeing Grand Theft Auto VI next.

Yes you're right

Irrational
  • Irrational

Federação das Américas

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:08 AM Edited by Irrational, 11 August 2017 - 12:08 AM.

The latest titled GTAs are Chinatown Wars (2009) and Online (2013).

.Emmi
  • .Emmi

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:29 AM

As for Red Dead I think it's actually called Red Dead Redemption 2 rather than Red Dead R... or Red Dead 3 because it obviously has 'some' connection to the first one. I think the franchise is indeed 'just' Red Dead and it's likely that the next one will be titled Red Dead R...
In regards to GTA I'm pretty sure the next one will be titled GTA 6 (VI) but I would not rule out sub-titled entries in the future.
  • CartmanKusanagi and UltraGizmo64 like this

Devdevi45
  • Devdevi45

Prankster

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:54 AM

Who's jake berry? I know he's a graphic designer but I'm not sure if for R* but he's definitely up there with them if you look at his photos

DisCrafted
  • DisCrafted

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:51 AM Edited by DisCrafted, 11 August 2017 - 11:35 AM.

The latest titled GTAs are Chinatown Wars (2009) and Online (2013).

That is true. I was gonna say that even Online counts as a subtitled GTA but decided to remove it from the post.

.Emmi
  • .Emmi

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

'For GTA Online, which the suit says "the Houser brothers had little interest in," The Benz put his name last in the credits.'

Glad the Housers 'fired' The Benz.
  • MojoGamer likes this

Len Lfc
  • Len Lfc

N7

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

'For GTA Online, which the suit says "the Houser brothers had little interest in," The Benz put his name last in the credits.'

Why are you glad they fired him?

.Emmi
  • .Emmi

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

Why are you glad they fired him?
> '...the Houser brothers had little interest in' (GTA Online)

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

From The Benz' lawsuit papers or whatever, it pretty much confirmed The Benz loved and constantly pushed GTAO, but the Houser Bros wanted to keep developing SP DLC.

GTAO was his baby. Everything pre and post launch proves this.
  • .Emmi likes this

.Emmi
  • .Emmi

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:13 PM

^ Yeah, it's The Benz that ruined GTA V with his online sh*t ... noone else ... hence why I'm happy the Housers 'dealt' with him (The Benz).

DisCrafted
  • DisCrafted

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

To add to this: GTA V's Multiplayer was originally "Cops 'n' Crooks"

One team would play as a gang and one as cops. It was nothing like GTA Online as a MMO-styled multiplayer was Leslie's dream.

Irrational
  • Irrational

Federação das Américas

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

I'd say that's not a very nice thing to say, specially because we don't know all the details that surround this issue.

I'd welcome a SP DLC as much as the next guy, but at the same time, I like GTAO, sure, it is very flawed and has many unfair gimmicks, but overalll I find GTAO to be a very enjoyable experience when you have friends to play with.

In the ideal world, R* would give us both a well-invested GTAO and SP DLC.

• KonradGM and Len Lfc like this

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

^ Yeah, it's The Benz that ruined GTA V with his online sh*t ... noone else ... hence why I'm happy the Housers 'dealt' with him (The Benz).

next time you will blame The Benz for sh*t writing in V.
Wonder what Housers brother is behind this post
  • KonradGM and Brian_O_Malley like this

TheFranchise
  • TheFranchise

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

The vision Benz had for Online was much different from the vision the Housers have for it right now, from all indication.
  • KonradGM and CartmanKusanagi like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

The Housers don't really have a vision for GTAO. On top of that they're primarily writers.

I don't think it's that impossible that The Benz vision for GTAO is that far off. Like someone else said the original multiplayer was supposed to be CnC, now it is what it is. And The Benz' new game he is developing sounds like another open-world MMO-type game like he wanted GTAO to be.

DisCrafted
  • DisCrafted

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:59 PM Edited by DisCrafted, 11 August 2017 - 05:00 PM.

The Housers don't really have a vision for GTAO. On top of that they're primarily writers.

I don't think it's that impossible that The Benz vision for GTAO is that far off. Like someone else said the original multiplayer was supposed to be CnC, now it is what it is. And The Benz' new game he is developing sounds like another open-world MMO-type game like he wanted GTAO to be.

Yes. They might've fired him because they didn't like where he was taking the franchise. The Housers don't just do writing btw. Sam is responsible for taking GTA into the 3D-environment era, creating realistic cities under fully 3D-engines.

KonradGM
  • KonradGM

GM of himself

• Members

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:05 AM Edited by KonradGM, 19 August 2017 - 04:08 AM.

The fact that they fired him was deciding factor in canning single player dlc too,

He is also the reason rdr 2 was released according to emails.

Saying he ruined gta v with online is funny though

• Tomasak and AUScowboy like this

beretta-gt88
  • beretta-gt88

Muscle cars rule!

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

The fact that they fired him was deciding factor in canning single player dlc too,

He is also the reason rdr 2 was released according to emails.

Saying he ruined gta v with online is funny though

Online killed Single Player .........

We have been completely ignored  Declasse Tampa added christmas 2015 but only Online WTF! is that Bullsh*t? it's been 2 years ......

Slidey Cars still broken on PS4 ever since the Executives and Other Criminals  update :angry: and many other glitches in Single Player not fixed :cry:

Mastah
  • Mastah

Push it to the limit

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

But you're wrong. I'm telling you what came out of their own mouths.

http://www.shacknews...two-weeks-after

https://www.nowgamer...arate-to-gta-5/

"We want it to be known as a different entity, a separate thing, and it'll grow on its own. It’ll be GTA Online,” said The Benz, “it’s not part of GTA 5. Obviously it’s set in the GTA 5 engine, but it’s going to grow and evolve into its own thing."

Leslie literally called it a different entity. What part of this aren't you getting?

I really don't understand why it's so difficult to get that as long as GTA Online isn't expanded by new map in DLC or the next installment of GTA, GTA Online = GTA V for all intents and purposes. You can't play Online without buying V first, it doesn't exist separately, so extending the life of Grand Theft Auto Online applies automatically to GTA V too. And that's the context of words used by Zelnick, but I guess it's better to look for a unicorn in form of SP DLC. Yeah, it's suuurely coming this year, or next, or in 3 years or 5 or...

I think they have a very good reason to. They sell video games. That's what they do and they're losing millions of sales by not releasing SP DLC.

It's been rumored that the DLC was 70% complete and that's most likely true because it was in April that Rockstar said, "And later this year, look for ...some very exciting Story Mode DLC." That means the DLC was at most 8 months away (probably less) from being completed. The development time they put into it cost them money and the only way to recoup that is to release it. Not releasing it causes them to lose money.

GTA V sold 80 million copies. A lot of people bought it twice, so cut that number to 40 million. If only a mere 15% of those 40 million purchase DLC, that's still 6 million copies sold. To put that number in perspective, the original Gears Of War sold 6 million copies total to date.

That's 6 million copies sold even though a whopping 85% of people who own the game don't even buy it.

If only they've ever thought about it. What a stupid bunch of people, these Rockstar and Take 2 folks.

They've done their calculations and results are clear for all of us to see. They got better return on investment spitting out DLCs for Online than working on SP DLC.

Online killed Single Player .........
We have been completely ignored Declasse Tampa added christmas 2015 but only Online WTF! is that Bullsh*t? it's been 2 years ......
Slidey Cars still broken on PS4 ever since the Executives and Other Criminals update :angry: and many other glitches in Single Player not fixed :cry:

Don't worry. By extending the life of GTA V and Online, they will fix all these problems in upcoming SP DLC. Just wait for it, just wait :monocle:

• Cutter De Blanc likes this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:31 PM

If only they've ever thought about it. What a stupid bunch of people, these Rockstar and Take 2 folks.

They've done their calculations and results are clear for all of us to see. They got better return on investment spitting out DLCs for Online than working on SP DLC.

I just pointed out that they have a good reason to release SP DLC - millions of potential sales. Maximum profits would have been achieved if they released both online and SP content. For whatever reason, they haven't released SP DLC. Maybe it was due to legal issues with L.eslie The Benz. We don't know.

So take your snarky remark and shove it.

• Bakamomo and TheFranchise like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:47 PM Edited by Zello, 19 August 2017 - 08:48 PM.

I just pointed out that they have a good reason to release SP DLC - millions of potential sales.

You sure about that? Outside of this forum millions of people love Online and aren't interested in SP. Is there a demand for a SP DLC sure but not as big as the demand for more Online DLCs.

Bakamomo
  • Bakamomo

Country Fried

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

I just pointed out that they have a good reason to release SP DLC - millions of potential sales.

You sure about that? Outside of this forum millions of people love Online and aren't interested in SP. Is there a demand for a SP DLC sure but not as big as the demand for more Online DLCs.

R* could make a lot of money with ... both?

• Pink Pineapple and Brian_O_Malley like this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

How do you know the millions of people who love Online aren't also interested in SP? You can be interested in more than one thing. I played both.

We know there are millions of people who like playing SP GTA games. That's how GTA became one of the biggest game series ever.

• Len Lfc, TheFranchise and Brian_O_Malley like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:24 PM Edited by Zello, 19 August 2017 - 09:25 PM.

How do you know the millions of people who love Online aren't also interested in SP? You can be interested in more than one thing. I played both.

We know there are millions of people who like playing SP GTA games. That's how GTA became one of the biggest game series ever.
They can track the numbers like the percentage of players who have completed The SP story or the amount of hours they have put into SP vs the amount of hours put into online. Numbers don't really tell the entire story though maybe some people just don't have enough time to play SP.

Pastry
  • Pastry

you know i had to ring-a-ding do it to em

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

~snip~

~snip~
~snip~
They can track the numbers like the percentage of players who have completed The SP story or the amount of hours they have put into SP vs the amount of hours put into online. Numbers don't really tell the entire story though maybe some people just don't have enough time to play SP.

Technically you'd need more time to progress online rather than SP. Even then, outside of communities like this, you see a lot more online content compared to SP. Making a single player DLC is a massive investment. You don't need 30 well written missions online, only a few expensive gimmick vehicles and slow earning businesses. They wouldn't make a DLC for sp anyway since it's way too late. They already canned the 3 they (allgedly) had planned and split it through online.

D T
  • D T

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:48 PM

Leslie has been out since early 2014 and his firing is the reason there's no SP DLC. The microtransaction simulator GTA Online has turned into is purely the Housers doing.

Irrational
  • Irrational

Federação das Américas

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:30 PM

[...], GTA Online = GTA V for all intents and purposes. You can't play Online without buying V first, it doesn't exist separately, so extending the life of Grand Theft Auto Online applies automatically to GTA V too. 

Well, the same happens with the London Expansion Packs and the Episodes of LC, are they or are they not "their own thing"?

If you consider them to be so, then Online is its own thing, too, if you don't, then Online isn't.

Mastah
  • Mastah

Push it to the limit

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:46 AM Edited by Mastah, 20 August 2017 - 10:10 AM.

I just pointed out that they have a good reason to release SP DLC - millions of potential sales. Maximum profits would have been achieved if they released both online and SP content. For whatever reason, they haven't released SP DLC. Maybe it was due to legal issues with L.eslie The Benz. We don't know.

So take your snarky remark and shove it.

So you indeed know better than them, congrats. Meanwhile, facts are Take 2 were disappointed with the DLC sales for GTA IV (that game where it was 95% about SP and online was just a irrelevant mode, remember it?):

"Both we and [Xbox-maker] Microsoft believe there was a big market for GTA IV episodic content," company CEO Ben Feder said during a call with investors on Thursday. "And some factors have affected their performance. Both were released significantly after the core unit … GTA IV, which was launched in April of 2008 and therefore weren't able to leverage GTA IV's initial marketing campaign and initial launch fervor."

"Episodes From Liberty City seems to have been most appealing to those who have finished GTA IV and wanted more story and gameplay," Feder said. "Which is a smaller market than initially expected. Despite the dour analysis, Feder did praise the episodes' critical acclaim and said they were "profitable contributors to the company, so we're pleased with them."

http://kotaku.com/54...tially-expected

Let's see. We are 3/4 years after GTA V launch date, not 10 and 18 months respectively like it was in case of episodes for GTA IV, so any SP DLC released from now on wouldn't be "able to leverage GTA V's initial marketing campaign and initial launch fervor", to say the least. Also, in 2017 this thing called GTA Online exists, which is humongous success from financial point of view for Take 2. If 8 years ago, when GTA was all about single player, they saw that SP market is smaller than expected, what do you think they see now, when GTA Online is a true revenue behemoth?

it's been revealed that GTA Online has generated "at least" $500 million in revenue from microtransactions.

To put that number into context, Halo 5's microtransactions brought in at least $1.5 million.

"GTA Online has the potential to achieve the greatest profit margin of any game created in the GTA franchise," reads a line from the lawsuit. This is in part because GTA Online's microtransactions have "nearly 100 percent profit margin," except for development costs and fees collected by storefronts.

https://www.gamespot...o/1100-6438765/

And that was 16 months ago. God knows what the numbers are now with 6 big DLCs released since then and Online having its best quarter ever ending this June. Tons of cash with nearly 100% profit margin... that means SP DLC is coming :monocle:

PS. This has to be quoted time and time again:

"Rockstar’s activities have been transformed by Grand Theft Auto Online" - Strauss Zelnick
  • Cutter De Blanc, Irrational, BlackScout and 1 other like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users