Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is LC the best videogame rendition of NY?

129 replies to this topic
Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:14 AM

Yes.

What sets IV's NY renedition apart from others is that it was New York not just Manhattan. Yea staten's missing but staten island sucks anyway lol.

People who say 'NY is being used too much in video games and movies' are wrong. Rather, its manhattan which is being over used like hell. Not just video games, even a lot of movies focus sorely on Manhattan rather than the rest of New York. (i am legend, die hard etc) and i really hate this trend, especially in games. Manhattan is a great setting but on its own it gets boring fast. NYC is a lot more than Manhattan you known

GTA IV recreated manhattan beautifully in the form of algonquin and had queens brooklyn bronx and nj to top it off. For once an entertainment product didnt focus sorely on.Manhattan and thats what sets LC apart for me.

Also LC is incredibly vivid, dark and detailed. From the dirty alleyways to the subway to the magnificient skyline. It is the picasso of perfection imo. So yes its not just the best NY renedition, its the best video game setting for me.

Agreed. New York City is no more used than Los Angelas is so I've never understood it being used too much whether it's in a TV show, movie or a video game. New York City is one of the most iconic cities in the world so the complaint makes no sense to me.

And like you said the focus is almost always on Manhattan so is essence it makes GTA IV's portrayal/rendition rarer in this regard. It and Driver: Parallel Lines are the only two games I can think of that reach beyond just Manhattan. There hasn't been one since GTA IV anyway.

• Scaglietti, D9fred95 and Ducard like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:50 PM

Yes.
What sets IV's NY renedition apart from others is that it was New York not just Manhattan. Yea staten's missing but staten island sucks anyway lol.
People who say 'NY is being used too much in video games and movies' are wrong. Rather, its manhattan which is being over used like hell. Not just video games, even a lot of movies focus sorely on Manhattan rather than the rest of New York. (i am legend, die hard etc) and i really hate this trend, especially in games. Manhattan is a great setting but on its own it gets boring fast. NYC is a lot more than Manhattan you known
GTA IV recreated manhattan beautifully in the form of algonquin and had queens brooklyn bronx and nj to top it off. For once an entertainment product didnt focus sorely on.Manhattan and thats what sets LC apart for me.
Also LC is incredibly vivid, dark and detailed. From the dirty alleyways to the subway to the magnificient skyline. It is the picasso of perfection imo. So yes its not just the best NY renedition, its the best video game setting for me.

You make me want to play IV again but it lags too much for me to enjoy now. :(

Aerovitia
  • Aerovitia

👌

• Facade Corporation
  • Indonesia

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:29 PM

Not really, solely because of this:

PGR3 (as well as PGR4 showed above) has the most accurate rendition of NYC, although it only features portions of Manhattan and Brooklyn (just look at Manhattan Bridge and Brooklyn Bridge in that game!).

However, LC was still the most decent, compressed rendition of the whole NYC (excluding Staten Island, of course).

I remember when my friends and myself is watching Mr. Robot. When Elliot visited Coney Island for the first time, one of my friends was impressed when he remembered that the LC rendition of Coney Island was featured in IV. Keep in mind that he's not a IV fanboy. ;)

Big_Smiley
  • Big_Smiley

Oldies Rule Forever!! -Chuy Crica (1992)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:48 AM

Yes.

You make me want to play IV again but it lags too much for me to enjoy now. :(
IV for PC. Nuff said :sui:

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WE STILL LIVE

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Fan-Made Map 2017 [Capital City]
    2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:51 AM

Not really, solely because of this:

https://www.youtube....h?v=utaYQo9_M88

https://www.youtube....h?v=EG13m2OduZ0

PGR3 (as well as PGR4 showed above) has the most accurate rendition of NYC, although it only features portions of Manhattan and Brooklyn (just look at Manhattan Bridge and Brooklyn Bridge in that game!).

Is a racing game, is just a nice window sorta speak, you can't interact with it but just look at it.

Sorry but there's is not a point to be made here.

Aerovitia
  • Aerovitia

👌

• Facade Corporation
  • Indonesia

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

Is a racing game, is just a nice window sorta speak, you can't interact with it but just look at it.

Sorry but there's is not a point to be made here.

It has a multiplayer mode called Tourist Mode where you can free roam around the city (although the city is basically a ghost town and there's guard rails everywhere). There's also a multiplayer mode called Bulldog (showed above), which is basically a cat-and-mouse mode in a free roam map.

So yeah you can't really interact it, but at least you can still explore it. :p
  • PhillBellic and The Deadite like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:11 AM

I loved the Engine Sounds in that Video.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

I've lived in NYC all my life, and my opinion? Absolutely. Literally the only video game I've played where "NYC" actually felt like what the big apple really is, which is amazing considering LC is a parody of NY.
  • Algonquin Assassin, HaythamKenway, Wu-Tang Forever and 2 others like this

Horse_With_No_Name
  • Horse_With_No_Name

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:01 PM

Spider-Man 2 on PS2 was fun.

Gunnalingus
  • Gunnalingus

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I've been playing a lot of True Crime NYC lately. ALOT! i',m f*ckin' addicted. I notice that Luxoflux added more details to NYC than they did LA. This game even supports progressive scan.

Well, in True Crime it is just Manhattan - no boroughs ot Jersey. But Manhattan is pretty well designed. Central Park for example has more roads and stuff. GTAIV's Central Park only has one road going at center.

United Nations building and surrounding area lookeed more realistic in True Crime. (That fitness club mission is a spiritual f*cking experience)

But the best New York is in Mafia 2. Maybe it's just me. i mean, look at the f*cking details. Brooklyn Bridge looks nicert than in GTAIV. Mafia 2's borougs and Jersey are also nicer. Yeah it's 1940s but Empirre Bay feels more realsitic than LC.

GTAIV's version of New York is stiill one of the best. It's as close you're ever gonna get to being in New York without having the miney to visit the real city.

I

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users