Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is LC the best videogame rendition of NY?

129 replies to this topic
The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WE STILL LIVE

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Fan-Made Map 2017 [Capital City]
    2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:53 AM

I don't remember playing much games taking place in my favorite city New York , except True Crime NY, that game was awesome, it had a huge map, lot of interiors (although heavily reused) and nice graphics, but it also had a terrible driving (lmao, you can push buses with a bike), small variety of vehicles, (no choppers, you can't see NY from above) and the action only takes place in Manhattan.
IV is more small, it had the names changed and some landmarks are missing, but you can go anywhere you want (drive in the subway, fly a chopper, use a boat) and there's also other places to visit besides NY (condensed versions of Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey)
Maybe i'm not in the position to judge, but i think LC is the best NY's version in a videogame despite his flaws.

Do you think it is or there's another game with a better NY?
  • Wu-Tang Forever, UltraGizmo64, Videogames888 and 1 other like this

Android
  • Android

Peppermint

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States
  • Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Snap Battle Season 3 Winner [X360]
    The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:04 AM Edited by Android, 09 September 2015 - 03:05 AM.

In my opinion, the best representation is definitely in True Crime: NYC. Although it's only Manhattan, the size and scale is so insane for a game of its time, really. IV is great but it's not supposed to map NYC street by street, if that makes sense.

J Cobra
  • J Cobra

The truth hurts

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:09 AM Edited by J Cobra, 09 September 2015 - 03:12 AM.

I guess it is. It got most of the islands of New york city. And they added Jersey too. True crime NY was pure sh*t. It had a huge and detailed area of the manhattan area, but it didn't work properly and Manhattan ain't all of New York City.  

• Official General likes this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WE STILL LIVE

• The Yardies
  • None
    Most Improved 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:13 AM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 09 September 2015 - 03:29 AM.

..True crime NY was pure sh*t. It had a huge and detailed area of the manhattan area, but it didn't work properly and Manhattan ain't all of New York City.  

A bit harsh, map wasn't sh*t, but i remember how bugged it was, there is a train track where you could go to a the "blue hell" of NY among many other places, NY wasn't that refined as LC, subways came through walls and such.

Shame there's not a map comparison, i still remember arguing with my brother how the map of TC:NY was bigger than SA (kid was worst than XcalinX)

I haven't played True Crime: New York City in years (and I mean years) but weren't you able to enter a lot of interiors?

Yep, but the interiors were really overused, all of them were the same.

DontSpankMaBitchUp
  • DontSpankMaBitchUp

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:19 AM Edited by DontSpankMaBitchUp, 09 September 2015 - 03:21 AM.

True Crime: New York City was also the most glitchy, bugged game ever according to tons of video game reviewers

I haven't played True Crime: New York City in years (and I mean years) but weren't you able to enter a lot of interiors?

Predator
  • Predator

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:29 AM

Yes its the best New York

And Driver : Parallel Lines had a much better New York than True Crime

• Payne Killer and mp412rex like this

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:33 AM

Yes, yes it is. :)

CynicalRise
  • CynicalRise

like home

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:42 AM Edited by TheProcrastinatingMath, 09 September 2015 - 04:31 AM.

Yes. R* games nailed it.

Big_Smiley
  • Big_Smiley

Just close your Eyes, And picture me Rolling - Makaveli (1996)

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:09 AM Edited by GTA_The_Series, 09 September 2015 - 04:13 AM.

The Statue of Liberty of has nice detail to it along with it's creppy huge living heart. Not to mention The Times Square just looks amazing at night. R* added some really nice detail into IV ;)

Android
  • Android

Peppermint

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:18 AM Edited by Android, 09 September 2015 - 04:19 AM.

True Crime: New York City was also the most glitchy, bugged game ever according to tons of video game reviewers

Did you even read the first post? That isn't even related to what Hitman was asking

Yeah, you were able to enter restaurants, pharmacies, stores, etc. It was pretty dope.

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:34 AM

It's not reeeaally New York though, it's Liburtee Ceety caasin! Eets a land of opportunities and ripe round American teeties!
Liberty City does have a lot of interiors too, just do a search for Interiors in GTA IV and a map will show you everything you missed.
  • Gunnalingus likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:39 AM

In someways, no it wasn't. There was no Expy of Staten Island present. Also, Bohan should have been larger, and connected to New Liberty's Upstate Region.

However, for what it was, I liked it.

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

Drunk as f*ck headed to the pump !!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • GoSquared
  • Best Crew 2017 [Spanish Kings]
    Best Writing 2017 [Red Triangle]
    Crew Poster Winner 2017
    Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:07 AM Edited by Mr. Fahrenheit, 09 September 2015 - 06:18 AM.

Yes, in full.
I've never been, but I've studied on NYC meticulously. I know more about it than my hometown at the moment.
And LC gets everything right. Sure, a few mishaps here and there (MSG, Yankee Stadium, Ground Zero etc.), but there is so much that makes it better. There are landmarks in NY that only New Yorkers (and me) would know about, that actually make it into the game!
  • Gunnalingus likes this

Android
  • Android

Peppermint

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:28 AM Edited by Android, 09 September 2015 - 07:29 AM.

LC doesn't get everything right, lol. The gap between the Bronx and Manhattan isn't even that large irl, but they make it seem that way in game. The Bronx isn't that small either. Instead of adding Alderney they could have developed Bohan a lot more.

There's a lot more missing but I'd rather sleep than to explain

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • GoSquared
    Crew Poster Winner 2017
    Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:37 AM

I agree, but they're minor differences I can let by.
I'm completely fine without Staten Island, though. I'd rather that place just disappear.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

The Bronx isn't that small either. Instead of adding Alderney they could have developed Bohan a lot more.

hqdefault.jpg

;)

• theGTAking101, slimeball supreme and Kafonix like this

DontSpankMaBitchUp
  • DontSpankMaBitchUp

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:40 PM Edited by DontSpankMaBitchUp, 09 September 2015 - 03:43 PM.

Star Junction in IV is probably my favorite place to walk around in and take in the sights. Hell, being in Algonquin is awesome. There is just something about being surrounded in a concrete jungle.

Did you even read the first post? That isn't even related to what Hitman was asking

Yeah, you were able to enter restaurants, pharmacies, stores, etc. It was pretty dope.
Yeah, I read the first post. I was just mentioning that regardless... Chill dude

Xing of Virtue
  • Xing of Virtue

Life makes no sense when fish are gay.

• BUSTED!
  • Antarctica

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:42 PM

❤️Still a beautiful city nonetheless.❤️

J Cobra
  • J Cobra

The truth hurts

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:41 AM

..True crime NY was pure sh*t. It had a huge and detailed area of the manhattan area, but it didn't work properly and Manhattan ain't all of New York City.  

A bit harsh, map wasn't sh*t, but i remember how bugged it was, there is a train track where you could go to a the "blue hell" of NY among many other places, NY wasn't that refined as LC, subways came through walls and such.

Shame there's not a map comparison, i still remember arguing with my brother how the map of TC:NY was bigger than SA (kid was worst than XcalinX)

I was talking about how glitchy it was. Not the map.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WE STILL LIVE

• The Yardies
  • None
    Most Improved 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:45 AM

I was talking about how glitchy it was. Not the map.

Ohh yeah, in that case the map was trampled horsesh*t.

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]
    Contribution Award [Concepts]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:48 AM

Without a doubt. Like you all have said, there was True Crime: NY's rendition. The Amazing Spidermans only contain Manhattan as well. The Crew had a dumped down New York, just like the rest of its cities.

There was no Expy of Staten Island present.

Rockstar had a reason for not adding it. "It was too boring."

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:29 AM

I liked True Crime: NYC's Manhattan, but unlike most NYC themed games GTA IV does all of the main boroughs as well as NJ so for me it is the best one.
  • Wu-Tang Forever and The Deadite like this

mp412rex
  • mp412rex

Purr.

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:06 AM

I also loved Parallel Lines NY, it was sooooo goood

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:38 AM

Probably

True Crime NYC had an accurate Manhattan even though it was big it was glitchy as hell and the game couldn't handle it maybe if it were on the X360/PS3 It would have been better.

IV's NYC even though it's not as accurate or as big (Quality over quantity bro) is great each borough gets the real feel of the place from Star Junction to the Projects in North Holland it really feels like a city.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Jay-P
  • Jay-P

G Funk Era

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

Probably
True Crime NYC had an accurate Manhattan even though it was big it was glitchy as hell and the game couldn't handle it maybe if it were on the X360/PS3 It would have been better.
IV's NYC even though it's not as accurate or as big (Quality over quantity bro) is great each borough gets the real feel of the place from Star Junction to the Projects in North Holland it really feels like a city.

Indeed, i remember reading an interview with dan houser just before the release of IV and he said (and i agree) that making a game that "feels" like the world works better than making the world in game. Good analogy.
  • slimeball supreme and Zello like this

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

Securing the bag.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:30 PM Edited by Gtaman_92, 11 September 2015 - 03:33 PM.

It is the best for GTA Standards but thats it. LC was missing key landmarks and not all of the neighborhood was properly implemented or included. The best rendition would have to be True Crimes NYC tbh.

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

This plan *sucks*

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

Maybe I'm not the best judge (I've never been to NYC), but I think it is. Sure, it has some missing and inaccurate features (Manhattan too big with Brooklyn and Queens too small, no Staten Island, Yankee Stadium or Madison Square Garden), but overall, Rockstar really knocked it out of the park. While most NYC-based games (of the ones I've played, anyway) only include Manhattan, IV includes the other boroughs (except Staten Island). Furthermore, it really nails that NYC feel far better than other games I've seen. Most of them just include the buildings, but IV has great little touches like sax-playing buskers in the streets, street vendors selling hot dogs and peanuts, a big focus on taxis (though amusingly, if IV were closer to real-life NYC, there would be a lot more taxis in the streets, haha), etc. Not to mention little stuff like the observation deck at the Empire State Building and the ability to take helicopter tours around the city, which made me as a player feel like I really was visiting this city along with Niko, rather than just exploring another open world.

Again, I've never been to NYC myself so I'm just judging based off what I've seen of the place in movies, TV etc., but they just nailed it, IMO.

• slimeball supreme, Zello and The Deadite like this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • GoSquared
    Crew Poster Winner 2017
    Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

Maybe I'm not the best judge (I've never been to NYC), but I think it is. Sure, it has some missing and inaccurate features (Manhattan too big with Brooklyn and Queens too small, no Staten Island, Yankee Stadium or Madison Square Garden), but overall, Rockstar really knocked it out of the park. While most NYC-based games (of the ones I've played, anyway) only include Manhattan, IV includes the other boroughs (except Staten Island). Furthermore, it really nails that NYC feel far better than other games I've seen. Most of them just include the buildings, but IV has great little touches like sax-playing buskers in the streets, street vendors selling hot dogs and peanuts, a big focus on taxis (though amusingly, if IV were closer to real-life NYC, there would be a lot more taxis in the streets, haha), etc. Not to mention little stuff like the observation deck at the Empire State Building and the ability to take helicopter tours around the city, which made me as a player feel like I really was visiting this city along with Niko, rather than just exploring another open world.

Again, I've never been to NYC myself so I'm just judging based off what I've seen of the place in movies, TV etc., but they just nailed it, IMO.

Ive been there spiritually (lol) and can 100% agree with you.
  • Wu-Tang Forever likes this

Sunrise Driver
  • Sunrise Driver

The Infidel

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

If you go for a detail, living world then YES.

If you go for map, geography, boroughs then Driver PL is #1.

True Crime NYC sure has NY feel and it's 1:1 represantation of Manhattan but that's it. Pity it's so glitchy and underdone.

mcorleone_9015
  • mcorleone_9015

Rat

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:43 PM

Yes. I've never been in NY, but from everything i know (and i researched a lot about the city), its the best overall representation in a game. Even though South Bohan is to small and i agree tha R* should've made Alderney smaller and focus more on South Bohan.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users