Quantcast

» «
Photo

What is your POV on theism and vice versa?

511 replies to this topic
Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

please read m,y bad fanfiction

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:47 PM Edited by Mr. Fahrenheit, 06 September 2015 - 12:47 PM.

As an atheist - f*ck extremists. I would never try to insult or belittle someone's belief unless they shove it down my throat, like anything else.
  • ten-a-penny likes this

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:40 PM Edited by .Smaher., 06 September 2015 - 05:04 PM.

As an atheist - f*ck extremists. I would never try to insult or belittle someone's belief unless they shove it down my throat, like anything else.

Yeah, those are the stereotypical fedora wearing losers that people gotta stay away from.

• Mr. Fartenhate likes this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:43 PM

Sadly that's the limitation of being but one man.

You're not, though. I know this is kind of tangent to the topic, but it's ticking me off that these degenerates are using our advances and our technology to push their hateful agendas. This is covering the range from run of the mill internet bigots and zealots to frigin' ISIS. Individuals that work to undermine the liberal environment necessary for technological and social progress should be denied its advances.

I don't expect enlightened individuals to be a majority in general population, but nothing in this world happens without highly educated professionals involved at some stage. And I'd like to think that among these, enlightened majority is a reality. All we should need to do is keep each other well informed, then stop acting as if we're alone.
  • sivispacem, Cutter De Blanc and .Smaher. like this

JZFB
  • JZFB

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:02 PM

Sadly that's the limitation of being but one man.

And thus, Sivispacem launched the Clone Wars in earnest.

• Zook, Mr. Scratch and sivispacem like this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:06 PM Edited by Kristian., 06 September 2015 - 03:07 PM.

I really don't care what a person's beliefs are; if they want to tell me a little about what they believe in then that's fine, I won't think any less of them, whether they're a theist or an atheist. Only when they force their opinions onto myself or others do I object.

Except that their beliefs reflect in most areas of their life. How many religious people are not against same-sex marriage or abortion? How many of them would vote for an atheist president? I can tell you with confidence that the answer where I come from is almost zero.

To say that beliefs are fine as long as they don't affect others is a naive position. I think this sort of thinking suggests that you are not in contact with many religious people on a regular basis. For me personally it is a stressful situation. Most of the nicest and kindest people that I know are moderately or highly religious. I would really like to be friends with some of them but it would only take one question (on one of these controversial topics like homosexuality or abortion) to break the illusion that these people are in fact good people. For the most part, they are good because their religious beliefs dictate so and they are only good people insofar as the scripture allows them to be.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:55 PM

To say that beliefs are fine as long as they don't affect others is a naive position.

I don't think it is. A person is free to demonstrate their objection to abortion by not having them. A person is free to demonstrate their objection to gay marriage by not getting hitched to a same sex partner. These are things that society has effectively decreed via weight of popular opinion should be allowable, so the increasing desperation through which certain elements of society attempt the fight tooth and nsil against these progressions can't really be seen as much more than the last, desperate grasp to hold on to political influence. In the states you're 20 years behind most of Northern Europe in this kind of stuff- we have openly homosexual prime ministers in the EU and the very idea of that would be ridiculous.

But anyone who apologies for the current actions of the Christian right in the US forgets their legacy. These are the people who, thirty years ago, had their Sunday best hanging next to their Klan robes in their wardrobe. Who complained about the decline of the white ruling classes whilst black youths were being chained to the backs of pick-ups and dragged through towns. The people who tacitly encourage domestic terrorism, both in the forms of anti-abortion violence and the militia movement which has always effectively been intertwined with Christian Patriotism and other unsavoury American beliefs. And that's even before you get onto the subject of religious meddling in education and whitewashing of science and reason.
  • DeeDogg_ likes this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:43 PM

I think Atheists are almost as bad as religious folks. How the f*ck do you know for sure if there is a god, or if there isnt?

I have friends of both types though, I dont generally have a problem with them as long as they keep it to themselves.

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:47 PM Edited by .Smaher., 06 September 2015 - 04:53 PM.

I think Atheists are almost as bad as religious folks. How the f*ck do you know for sure if there is a god, or if there isnt?

I have friends of both types though, I dont generally have a problem with them as long as they keep it to themselves.

Well, it's like completely denying that Santa Clause exists. Who's to say we can't say for sure that he isn't real? When exactly are we to "know" that there is no god? I thought the purpose of something not existing is having no evidence for it. Any body can spread rumors about a giant invisible multicolored mantis, and anybody can certainly say that it doesn't exist. Thor may or may have proof for it, but it isn't valid, and if it ever did, we sure as hell would be worshiping him, now wouldn't we? But instead people "know" that Thor was made up. 

The way I see it. The only time you can't say for sure that something isn't real is when there's the slightest bit of proof of it. My knowing that there is no god is based off the wildly known statistic that no evidence has been provided.

No one's ever given me the slightest bit of proof of any deity besides the faith card, which isn't really that helpful, btw. And citing a book as evidence makes me scoff. 

• sivispacem likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:49 PM

How the f*ck do you know for sure if there is a god, or if there isnt?

It's a similar principle to the notion of believing in the tooth fairy, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or invisible pink unicorns. Why would any rational, sane, educated person believe that something exists without any evidence to prove that it does? It's a mistake to see it as an active belief that God does not exist; it should be seen as an absence of belief in his existence.

Moreover, I'm of the persuasion that the classical Abrahamic God, even if he did exist, would not be worthy of worship because he's a biblical (pardon the pun) bell-end who actively encourages genocide, raping the women of conquered tribes and executing people for their sexual preferences, whilst simultaneously doing nothing to prevent generations of war, violence, suffering and unhappiness despite being both omnipotent and omniscient.
  • D- Ice, mr quick, TheFlareEntercounter and 2 others like this

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:50 PM Edited by .Smaher., 06 September 2015 - 04:51 PM.

It's a similar principle to the notion of believing in the tooth fairy, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or invisible pink unicorns. Why would any rational, sane, educated person believe that something exists without any evidence to prove that it does?

Inb4 "How the f*ck do you know that there is a tooth fairy, or isn't?"

• D- Ice and sivispacem like this

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:52 PM

It's a similar principle to the notion of believing in the tooth fairy, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or invisible pink unicorns. Why would any rational, sane, educated person believe that something exists without any evidence to prove that it does? It's a mistake to see it as an active belief that God does not exist; it should be seen as an absence of belief in his existence.

Woah, woah, what the f*ck, are you saying the 'Ghetti Monster ain't real? Sigh, guess it's time to go back to Scientology.
  • sivispacem, Mr. Fartenhate, ten-a-penny and 1 other like this

JZFB
  • JZFB

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:52 PM

The tooth fairy is obviously real guys, lets not drag him through the mud here.

pIkGHgZqOdr9VHSlIDWs9rkTZSn.jpg

• D- Ice, Mr. Scratch, Ermac and 3 others like this

Aqua97
  • Aqua97

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Worst Llama 2016

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:52 PM Edited by Aqua97, 06 September 2015 - 05:33 PM.

Well I'm more of a Pantheist, with a bit of theism mixed in there. But I would consider myself a Christian. So I would consider myself on mutual ground. I think...  :/​   

• Spectacus likes this

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:54 PM Edited by .Smaher., 06 September 2015 - 04:56 PM.

The tooth fairy is obviously real guys, lets not drag him through the mud here.

Guess it's time for me to convert to Toofairyianism, just because I want some rock.

• Mr. Fartenhate likes this

Skeever
  • Skeever

Blue Lives Matter

• Members
  • United-States
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

Except that their beliefs reflect in most areas of their life. How many religious people are not against same-sex marriage or abortion? How many of them would vote for an atheist president? I can tell you with confidence that the answer where I come from is almost zero.

The number of religious people supporting same-sex marriage and abortion is slowly increasing by the day, certainly more than "almost zero". Being a Christian myself, I was homophobic and anti-abortion a few years ago. Now I support same-sex marriage and (to some degree) abortion, while my religious views haven't changed much otherwise.

As for religious people not voting for an atheist president, I think that's a perfectly understandable decision on their part, just as it is sensible for atheists to not want a Christian president in office.

I would really like to be friends with some of them but it would only take one question (on one of these controversial topics like homosexuality or abortion) to break the illusion that these people are in fact good people.

Something to understand is that most Christians grew up in a time where homosexuality and abortion were shunned. They aren't necessarily "bad people" for holding the beliefs that they have been taught most of their lives. A lot of them are either too stubborn to change or have never had anyone sit down with them and explain why homosexuality and abortion are not bad things.

Zapp
  • Zapp

• The Connection
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GFX Requests & Tuts]

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:56 PM Edited by FunkyRJ, 06 September 2015 - 04:57 PM.

Being a Christian myself, I was homophobic and anti-abortion a few years ago. Now I support same-sex marriage and (to some degree) abortion, while my religious views haven't changed much otherwise.

Same here.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

Great news, everyone. I found a new religion that fits my morals and beliefs.

church%2Bof%2Bkanye%2Bwest.jpg

• Ermac, Mr. Fartenhate and JZFB like this

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:59 PM Edited by .Smaher., 06 September 2015 - 05:02 PM.

Well, that would make the most sense, because historically, Jesus Yeezus was either Middle Eastern or black.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

Who said anything about Jesus? That's Yeezus!

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

THEN I SWALLOD THE EVRYTING

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:02 PM

I'm not much of a religious person, i'm close to both annoying religious and atheists, both suck, atheists i've met are fedorable dorks who think themselves more intelligent than the other side, and religious persons are patronizing holier than thou backwards sh*ts.

According to my past experience, not trying to say that everyone is like this.
  • Majestic81 likes this

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:02 PM

Who said anything about Jesus? That's Yeezus!

You're right! It must've been another cover-up by the illuminati!

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

I don't know if the illuminati ever did a Kanye cover tbh. But ya, this is our gospel song.

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:07 PM Edited by .Smaher., 06 September 2015 - 05:08 PM.

Jeebus ain't got nothing on this, fam.

Spoiler

• Mr. Scratch likes this

Nick1020
  • Nick1020

King of crap

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:16 PM Edited by Nick1020, 06 September 2015 - 05:17 PM.

I'm Christian myself but I can't stand the Christians that believe gays shouldn't have the same marriage rights as heterosexual couples. I'm having ongoing issues with some reletives of mines because I believe gay marriage shouldn't be illegal and keep saying I have issues which almost kinda hurts me.

As for atheists, I'm ok with them but hate the arrogant ones that must tell you god doesn't exist. And on top of that, they think they're know it alls.

AmericanNinjaSB
  • AmericanNinjaSB

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:20 PM Edited by AmericanNinjaSB, 06 September 2015 - 05:31 PM.

Moreover, I'm of the persuasion that the classical Abrahamic God, even if he did exist, would not be worthy of worship because he's a biblical (pardon the pun) bell-end who actively encourages genocide, raping the women of conquered tribes and executing people for their sexual preferences, whilst simultaneously doing nothing to prevent generations of war, violence, suffering and unhappiness despite being both omnipotent and omniscient.
Yo bro, The classical Abrahamic God didn't commit or encourage those acts, Mankind did, and it's still goin on,
  • Failure likes this

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:21 PM

There's a video here that I think explains everybody's troubles in a nutshell.

paperbagdude
  • paperbagdude

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) J U I C E

• Members
  • Denmark
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:33 PM Edited by paperbagdude, 06 September 2015 - 05:42 PM.

In my country, it's very normal to be an atheist, even if you're still a member of the Danish National Church.

Since it's normal, there nothing unusual in having friends that are either atheists or religious.

However, recently I have started to notice a certain taboo of being religious in my country. If you for any reason believe in a higher power that can't be visually proven, you're a weirdo still living in in the early 19th century and before. This is of course not to generalize the view atheist may have on religious people, but it has just gone mad on social media.

Also for my own POV on atheism, I don't care whether they believe or not. The only thing that matters for me is to treat them like equal fellow human beings and the only thing I shall demand in return is the same treatment.

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:35 PM

In my country, it's very normal to be an atheist, even if you're still a member of the Danish National Church.

Since it's normal, there nothing unusual in having friends that are either atheists or religious.

However, recently I have started to notice a certain taboo of being religious in my country. If you for any reason believe in a higher power that can't be visually proven, you're a weirdo still living in in the earky 19th century and before. This is of course not to generalize the view atheist may have on religious people, but it has just gone mad on social media.

They call it "faith". It;s so powerful, that they don't need actual proof.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:38 PM

Well, it's like completely denying that Santa Clause exists. Who's to say we can't say for sure that he isn't real? When exactly are we to "know" that there is no god? I thought the purpose of something not existing is having no evidence for it. Any body can spread rumors about a giant invisible multicolored mantis, and anybody can certainly say that it doesn't exist. Thor may or may have proof for it, but it isn't valid, and if it ever did, we sure as hell would be worshiping him, now wouldn't we? But instead people "know" that Thor was made up. 

The way I see it. The only time you can't say for sure that something isn't real is when there's the slightest bit of proof of it. My knowing that there is no god is based off the wildly known statistic that no evidence has been provided.

No one's ever given me the slightest bit of proof of any deity besides the faith card, which isn't really that helpful, btw. And citing a book as evidence makes me scoff.

That was a rhetorical question. My point was neither religious people can prove that god exists. And atheists cant prove that he doesn't . thats why both sides are wrong in my opinion.

Aqua97
  • Aqua97

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Worst Llama 2016

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:40 PM

That was a rhetorical question. My point was neither religious people can prove that god exists. And atheists cant prove that he doesn't . thats why both sides are wrong in my opinion.

Pantheism FTW!  :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users