Quantcast

» «
Photo

What is your POV on theism and vice versa?

511 replies to this topic
Dee.
  • Dee.

GTAV= Style over substance

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:37 AM

Can you have (a)theist friends?

Do you judge someone strictly on their beliefs?

I for one being an agnostic theist, I don't care about what someone believes. As long as they don't shove it down my throat.

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:40 AM Edited by .Smaher., 06 September 2015 - 12:41 AM.

I have no atheist friends, so I'm kinda forced to accept it. As long as they aren't trying to shove it down my throat and out my ass, I could really care less about who has what belief.

Also, are you asking about theistic and atheistic people, or the positions themselves? Because I have a lot of views on them.

Dee.
  • Dee.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:48 AM

I'm just asking both out of interests.

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:02 AM

Well, I'll try my best to not offend someone here, and say that I, personally, think that in this generation, religion is unnecessary. I don't like the idea of adapting to a comforting lie just to shed away from the harsh truth. Such as death. Most children believe in Santa at a young age. Mostly because of the thought of them getting a trike months later after. It's like believing in God. I'm not saying all, but there's a great number of theistic people who mostly do the good things they do just because of the reminder that they they'll be rewarded with 72 virgins in the clouds, singing angels, and other forms of everlasting happiness. 

If people wanna be religious to soothe themselves from the surreal qualities of life, then fine by me. That's why most Buddhists are Buddhists, after all. I'm cool with it just as long as some parent doesn't tell their child that the Big Bang theory and evolution is a lie without even making an effort to explain to them why and not coming up with ludicrously bad statements like "This bible says so", along with other forms of indoctrinated teaching.

• mr quick likes this

Skeever
  • Skeever

Gone... for now

• Members
  • United-States
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:17 AM

I really don't care what a person's beliefs are; if they want to tell me a little about what they believe in then that's fine, I won't think any less of them, whether they're a theist or an atheist. Only when they force their opinions onto myself or others do I object.

• Melchior, universetwisters, Shaundi. and 5 others like this

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

My boner.

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:26 AM

Atheists are every bit as annoying as hardcore religious types.

Actually, upon typing that, they're worse. At least your hardcore religious types are obsessed over their long term betterment (right or wrong as it may be), atheists are just obsessed with bringing them down to prove their intellectual superiority.

As for the religious types, do what you wilt*, just don't try to shove it down my throat.

* - not necessarily the whole of the law.

• Melchior, ten-a-penny, Nice Person and 2 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:46 AM

Religious fanatics - If you do *whatever religious folks oppose*, you're an awful person in the eyes of the bible and only by saying forty hail Marys, will you be absolved of your sins, praise the lord.

Atheism fanatics - If you do *whatever atheists oppose*, you are shackled to the conformity of the mainstream culture. Only when you denounce your religion, you will begin to see the world more rationally.

Both are f*cking awful, the fanaticism. Overzealous religious folks give regular religious folks a bad name, much in the same way fedora-tipping bloggers give regular atheists a bad name.

• Abel., Melchior, 018361 and 5 others like this

Professor SmackaDabbah
  • Professor SmackaDabbah

Dananananananana she really loves to break

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:13 AM

As long as they don't revolve their entire life around their atheism and theism, and spend their lives talking about it and jamming up everyone's ass then I'm totally fine with it.
I'm an agnostic atheist and I have two Christian friends with which the topic of atheism and religion is never brought up.
  • Spectacus and Dee. like this

Dee.
  • Dee.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:18 AM

Great responses. Now answer this,

Say you were an atheist dating a theist. How would you go about your SO wanting to raise your child as a theist?
  • Melchior likes this

Eram
  • Eram

LŠli Edeh

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:25 AM Edited by Eram, 06 September 2015 - 03:27 AM.

Ftw!

The truth is out there and sh*t, couldn't care less...

"God"/Aliens/Anyone save my soul, pretty please!

Professor SmackaDabbah
  • Professor SmackaDabbah

Dananananananana she really loves to break

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:34 AM

Say you were an atheist dating a theist. How would you go about your SO wanting to raise your child as a theist?

I don't wanna sound intolerant and being so isn't my intention, but I'm not sure I could deal with that.

JZFB
  • JZFB

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:42 AM Edited by •en, 06 September 2015 - 03:43 AM.

Compromise.

Good secular education. Church on Sundays.

As for the original question; So long as they aren't trying to force their beliefs, it's a non-issue.

• Abel., Melchior, Skeever and 1 other like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:42 AM Edited by Scaglietti, 06 September 2015 - 03:44 AM.

Couldn't care less. I do live in the bible belt, however, and there are Roman Catholics literally everywhere you look. The ones who shove it down your throat are irritating but other than that I don't care.

Well, as long as whoever that may be doesn't force it on me then I'll be fine with it. Allow the child to think for him/herself however. Otherwise we gon have problems.

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:44 AM Edited by .Smaher., 06 September 2015 - 03:46 AM.

Actually, upon typing that, they're worse. At least your hardcore religious types are obsessed over their long term betterment (right or wrong as it may be), atheists are just obsessed with bringing them down to prove their intellectual superiority.

As for the religious types, do what you wilt*, just don't try to shove it down my throat.

Don't categorize all atheists in that.
  • Scaglietti likes this

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

execute me (haha giddit)

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States
  • Best Character 2016 [Niko Bellic Ped]
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:51 AM

As long as they're not Kent Hovind-grade stupid, I'm fine with them. To all there own and such.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:11 AM

You sure do make a lot of stupid posts but this takes the cake. Not all atheists are like that.

• theNGclan likes this

Dee.
  • Dee.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:31 AM Edited by FutoLover, 06 September 2015 - 04:32 AM.

I don't wanna sound intolerant and being so isn't my intention, but I'm not sure I could deal with that.
As Yen said, maybe there could be a compromise that can work out between the parents. Or just let the kid decide
And just saying, this is probably the only forum that doesn't lose their sh*t when religion is mentioned.

Good job guys

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:43 AM

Hm, wrong. Atheists aren't the ones picketing funerals, atheists aren't the ones denying same-sex marriage rights, atheists aren't the ones trying to get laws to work according to a holy book, atheists aren't the ones killing doctors for performing abortions, atheists aren't the ones starting wars to prove their god is the only true god and superior to everyone else, atheists aren't the ones constantly reminding you that you will go to hell unless you see the light. Hardcore religious types are not obsessed with their long time "betterment". They are concerned with "saving" people and breaking the bible laws that they think should not apply to them. And even worse, their reason for "seeking betterment" is that they have to so that god loves them. Speaks miles about their true character.

Atheists in general don't care what religious people do, until it starts to affect everyone else. Then we will call you on your bullsh*t. 

Oh, and we care about betterment not because some holy scripture said so. We care for it because want to be better people.

• Jehannum likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:49 AM

Hm, wrong. Atheists aren't the ones picketing funerals, atheists aren't the ones denying same-sex marriage rights, atheists aren't the ones trying to get laws to work according to a holy book, atheists aren't the ones killing doctors for performing abortions, atheists aren't the ones starting wars to prove their god is the only true god and superior to everyone else, atheists aren't the ones constantly reminding you that you will go to hell unless you see the light. Hardcore religious types are not obsessed with their long time "betterment". They are concerned with "saving" people and breaking the bible laws that they think should not apply to them. And even worse, their reason for "seeking betterment" is that they have to so that god loves them. Speaks miles about their true character.

Atheists in general don't care what religious people do, until it starts to affect everyone else. Then we will call you on your bullsh*t. 

Oh, and we care about betterment not because some holy scripture said so. We care for it because want to be better people.

mr_bean_told_ya_so__meme_by_josael281999

Smartassery aside, I'm not sure how good a religion v. atheism thing would do here. Either this is gonna get locked or moved to the D&D part of the forum, methinks.

• Tchuck and Spectacus like this

.Smaher.
  • .Smaher.

Mr. Triangle Man

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:35 AM Edited by .Smaher., 06 September 2015 - 11:53 PM.

mr_bean_told_ya_so__meme_by_josael281999

Smartassery aside, I'm not sure how good a religion v. atheism thing would do here. Either this is gonna get locked or moved to the D&D part of the forum, methinks.

Don't worry. Its happened countless times and has lasted at least up to a few pages.

• Melchior likes this

Dee.
  • Dee.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:43 AM

Please don't turn this into some dick measuring contest ._.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:55 AM

Believe what you want to believe, just don't bring it up around me. Religion debates are the biggest waste of time I've come across in the world of debates and I refuse to ever participate in one again so whenever the subject comes up, I just state my belief and move on.

I can accept an atheist as a friend if their (lack of) belief is just casual apathy and not from being one of those keyboard warriors hell bent on "rebelling" against the world with their "superior intellectuality". Similarly, I also don't want to be around someone who constantly brings up so and so is a sin and you'll go to hell for it.

• ten-a-penny, Spectacus and Dee. like this

AmericanNinjaSB
  • AmericanNinjaSB

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:59 AM

In my opinion, Religion is created by man, and athiests are also religious in their beliefs, where they to become like the religious People they say they're against, even if an atheist says he doesn't care what people believe. As for Religious people, they just want ur money and wants u to follow thier rules that they too created.
God didn't cause the wars and massacres, man did, with thier rules and guilt trips they use to get people to fight for them. Just like the crusades, if I start a war and have an interest in the things that comes after it, I too would pretend to be a believer in God just to get people who believes, to fight for me just sayin as an example, most of these people who say they believe in God, these cats don't believe in God, c'mon man!!! and most athiests too seems like they believe in a God as well, because they use the same tactics and tricks as religious fanatics do. Just observe the attitudes and stuff athiests say, and now observe the religious people, there's no difference, because it's all created by man. I'm no Christian because anybody can say that they're Christian, just like athiests, most of them are undercover agnostics. So I'ma conclude it like this, it's just my opinion and I apologize if I offended any one, I'm just so done with all this dividing of us Americans. If u believe in Jesus Christ then believe in (him) not what religious men says or do, God created us as individuals and work with us individually. if ur an atheists who truly believes there's no God, and that u are trying to make things better for the world, then do don't go complain, preach and act all righteous, go out and show ur love and appreciation for life, not by following these so called religious athiests who most likely don't even care bout u, be an individual be awesome, then everybody around u will be awesome too nawmean!!!
As for dating, it don't matter what u believe or don't believe, believe in each other first, then everything else will fall into place including what ur child will believe, don't believe in and follow what is so call today's norms, be awesome always even as parents....Peace!!!!

Tyler
  • Tyler

Samhain

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:09 AM

So long as you accept the futility of the world while fighting against it-which-should-never-have-been, and so long as you are always attempting to reconvene with Bythos, then you are living correctly. All other viewpoints are defiled and consecrate. Especially those which give weight to the enemies of the Logos, or those which would distance one from their syzygy.

• Moonshield, D- Ice, Melchior and 2 others like this

Aqua97
  • Aqua97

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Worst Llama 2016

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:45 AM Edited by Aqua97, 06 September 2015 - 08:14 AM.

Well rather like the OP said, I don't mind as long as they don't shove it down my throat. (-: Both atheists and religious people are fine, but extreme atheists and extreme religious folks are a bit annoying, they are the ones who tend to shove there beliefs down your throat. :p         

• Spectacus likes this

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

My boner.

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:58 AM

Compromise is important. You raise the child with the mother's churchiness and when he's old enough, you let them make their own choice.

If your wife's religiousness is that extreme, you wouldn't be with her. So don't try and push that line.

• Melchior likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Nškyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

People's personal beliefs are none of my business. If it helps you sleep at night to think you're watched over by some bearded dude/an invisible pink unicorn/an orbiting teapot, then good for you. But you start using that personal belief to dictate policy from a position of power, inhibit the rights of other or corrupt science and logic with your blind faith, then I'll actively revel in publicly mocking you.
  • WHAT!?, Tchuck, Mister Pink and 4 others like this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:33 AM

People's personal beliefs are none of my business. If it helps you sleep at night to think you're watched over by some bearded dude/an invisible pink unicorn/an orbiting teapot, then good for you. But you start using that personal belief to dictate policy from a position of power, inhibit the rights of other or corrupt science and logic with your blind faith, then I'll actively revel in publicly mocking you.

Publicly mocking people in power over human rights violations seems rather inadequate.
  • Melchior, sivispacem and ten-a-penny like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Nškyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:16 PM

Sadly that's the limitation of being but one man.
  • Melchior likes this

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:44 PM

Sun Worship is the only type of religion that makes sense to me. The Sun IS responsible for all life on the planet, So I mean, What else could be more fitting as a "god".

• Alexander, Black_Jesus, The Deadite and 2 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users