• None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

narcos02.jpg

Just watched the first episode last night. Loved it! The locations, the lights and colours of Miami in the late 70's and early 80's. It all looks beautiful! I'm a sucker for a good crime story too. 

It looks like a lot of budget went in to this. It looks great. It's hard to tell on one episode about characters/story but it looks very very promising. One gripe I have is the narration.. I kind of ruined it by reading a review and the critic mentioned that the narration often points out the obvious and sort of holds your hand and the critic thought that it's sort of insulting it's audience's intelligence. 

That's all I could complain about though. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2707408/9.3 on IMDB

http://www.rottentom.../tv/narcos/s01/93%* on Rotten Tomoatoes  *Audience Rating

• OH NO, RussianCommie, AlienTwo and 2 others like this

Lebowski_RS
  • Lebowski_RS

The Dude abides

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • None

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:11 PM

An action series that starts dicussing the relation of Colombia and literary movent of magic realism... It's different, you can see it from the very begining. 

José Padilha (director) and Wagner Moura (Pablo Escobar) have worked together in two other awsome movies - "Elite Squad" an "Elite Squad - The Enemy Within". The first one is about the war between drug dealers and the police in Rio de Janeiro, the second digs deeper, exploring the political element of this war.

• Mister Pink likes this

RussianCommie
  • RussianCommie

Trying to think of a member title but my mind keeps Stalin.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:57 AM

Narcos is a kick ass show and I'm enjoying it very much. I'm currently on the 5th episode and can't wait to finish it. According to Wikipedia, it says that the series was shot on location in Columbia, so that's a nice touch, to keep that realism, I guess to say, of the story that its based on. I'm a big fan of these kinds of shows, so I was hooked on it, once I started watching. It's a well done series and I would recommend it to others.

• Mister Pink and Actlikeyouknow like this

Landotel
  • Landotel

RED DEAD 3 HYPE TRAIN (Just Kidding f*ck TAKE TWO)

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:06 AM

This show is really good, I love the cinematic in this show, it delivers. Most, if not all the actors were all really great so far.

My overall rating for season one is a solid 9/10

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:33 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 03 September 2015 - 07:35 AM.

Narcos is a kick ass show and I'm enjoying it very much. I'm currently on the 5th episode and can't wait to finish it. According to Wikipedia, it says that the series was shot on location in Columbia, so that's a nice touch, to keep that realism, I guess to say, of the story that its based on. I'm a big fan of these kinds of shows, so I was hooked on it, once I started watching. It's a well done series and I would recommend it to others.

Yeah this level of authenticity goes a long way. Those sweeping landscape locations shots of luscious green hills with the cloudy grey sky looked beautiful.

I love all this to the contrast of the neony Miami 

@Lebowski: Yeah Tropa De Elite has been a film I got a few years ago and never got to around to watching. Will try watch it during the week.

• RussianCommie likes this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
  • Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:07 PM

I loved this show, but I was sad that the most uninteresting parts (to me) were those dealing with the DEA and Oberyn Martell... Pedro is the only reason I watched this, glad I did, but man... they made his parts boring.

And sometimes the narration was a bit insulting to the viewers intelligence.  Could have toned that down a touch.

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

"There's a bitch... AndyGAGNAKATEKS"

• The Yardies
  • Netherlands
  • Best Snapmatic [Character] 2013

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

I agree with everyone here. The show starts great and stays great. It feels more like a movie, which makes sense, because it was intended to be a movie at first.
Also i'm glad they didn't hold back in showing just how gruesome Pablo Escobar really was, some people were afraid they were gonna portray him more lovable than he really was, but oh no, he's f*cking brutal tbh.

Alexander
  • Alexander

she's a Khaleesi not a queen fcks sake mate

• The Yardies
  • Venezuela

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

Also i'm glad they didn't hold back in showing just how gruesome Pablo Escobar really was, some people were afraid they were gonna portray him more lovable than he really was, but oh no, he's f*cking brutal tbh.

That was my main concern about Narcos.I

I've seen some stuff in the past about Escobar (like "El Patron del Mal", and "El Capo"), and they were too soft. Pablo Escobar was a dangerous motherf*cker, stop with the nice Pablito.

• Johnny Playert and Actlikeyouknow like this

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:55 PM

About to start watching this in a bit, heard about it yesterday but these posts really have me interested. Will report back, *salute.*

• Mister Pink and AlienTwo like this

RussianCommie
  • RussianCommie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:09 PM Edited by RussianCommie, 08 September 2015 - 06:10 PM.

To no surprise, Narcos has been renewed for a second season, so hooray for that. I was kind of bummed with how the last episode of the first season ended with

Spoiler
and the wait begins now for Season 2. I would guess that most people know of Pablo Escobar, his story, and how it ended for him, but at the same time, I understand why they ended it the way it did. The show is a success and it makes perfect sense for them to keep the viewers hooked in and looking forward to more, in the fashion of Season 2. I recently started watching el Patrón del Mal, it's also on Netflix and about Pablo Escobar, but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to manage through the whole series. It's 1 season, but it consists of like 74-75 episodes, so that's still up to discussion. I only watched the first two episodes, so i can't really make any judgement of the show, it's more of a matter of that the show will definitely pick up, but I've yet to get there, so everything, for now, is slowly leading to what Pablo Escobar eventually becomes.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:09 PM

I am a fan of this show, at first i was skeptical about it. but they actually did a good job with the direction and production. Obviously this show will end after next season.. Hopefully the producers do another show like this..say on Salvatore Riina.. similar kind of story as pablos

• Money Over Bullshit likes this

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

I am a fan of this show, at first i was skeptical about it. but they actually did a good job with the direction and production. Obviously this show will end after next season.. Hopefully the producers do another show like this..say on Salvatore Riina.. similar kind of story as pablos

Im about four or five episodes in and its great, ive been wondering just how long it can go on for and hoping they dont stretch it out too long, its pretty much immediately apparent that something short and concise would be much more effective. Probably finish it over the next few days

Claptrap NL
  • Claptrap NL

Public Enemy nr. 1

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:34 AM Edited by Claptrap NL, 12 September 2015 - 02:34 AM.

Is it worth watching it? Because now I see people on social media talking sh*t as if they're Pablo Escobar himself.

RussianCommie
  • RussianCommie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:37 AM

Is it worth watching it? Because now I see people on social media talking sh*t as if they're Pablo Escobar himself.

Definitely worth watching, in my opinion. It's a well done show. As for the social media part, that's new to me :blink: .

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:50 AM

people on social media talking sh*t as if they're Pablo Escobar himself.

Elaborate on this please.

Claptrap NL
  • Claptrap NL

Public Enemy nr. 1

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:21 PM Edited by Claptrap NL, 12 September 2015 - 09:21 PM.

Definitely worth watching, in my opinion. It's a well done show. As for the social media part, that's new to me :blink: .

I see a tv show, now I think I'm the one this show is going all about .

Same with the Scarface movie were Al Pacino plays him, when some people see it, they think they're Scarface....

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:25 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 13 September 2015 - 10:26 AM.

Hmm.. I've never heard of anyone thinking they were Tony Montana after watching Scarface. Maybe there's a feeling of bravado after watching a tough-guy flick like that.

Back on topic. It's worth watching. Another ctritism I have is that the guy playing Murphy or the just Murphy himself is weak. I can't really say I'm impressed.

That doesn't detract from the show though

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:14 PM

Hmm.. I've never heard of anyone thinking they were Tony Montana after watching Scarface. Maybe there's a feeling of bravado after watching a tough-guy flick like that.

Back on topic. It's worth watching. Another ctritism I have is that the guy playing Murphy or the just Murphy himself is weak. I can't really say I'm impressed.

That doesn't detract from the show though

My thoughts exactly. And I already said this, but his voice-over sometimes is a little over ham-fisted.  

• Mister Pink likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

The voice-over actually made me feel like the show was Americanized after the fact. Felt like narrative glue.

But that's nitpicking. Such a well-done series on all fronts. My Salvadoran pal tells me the accents are terrible (very Spanish) but that don't really register for me. Ha.

You know who's god-damned bad ass? Colonel Carillo.
  • Mister Pink and AlienTwo like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:08 PM

The voice-over actually made me feel like the show was Americanized after the fact. Felt like narrative glue.

But that's nitpicking. Such a well-done series on all fronts. My Salvadoran pal tells me the accents are terrible (very Spanish) but that don't really register for me. Ha.

Yes, 100%.  I loved the show, that was just the worst part of an otherwise excellent production.

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

TETTEN! :-)

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:30 PM

I'm not spanish at all. So i don't hear any wrong accent at all. Imo this show is very good.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:16 PM

well the guy whose playing Pablo is Brazilian i would get why his accent would be off, but most of the other ones are from  Spanish speaking South American.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:26 PM

well the guy whose playing Pablo is Brazilian i would get why his accent would be off, but most of the other ones are from  Spanish speaking South American.

It's not like all the countries in S. America have the same accent... it's a fairly large continent.  

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

Nah sorry a lot of the actors are apparently Spanish (iE from from Spain) so their accents are, again apparently, kinda European. Or so I'm told.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:42 PM

It's not like all the countries in S. America have the same accent... it's a fairly large continent.  

well that is true but a lot of my south american friends say its more different between people from Spain and South/Central American than in between the south american countries.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:52 PM

well that is true but a lot of my south american friends say its more different between people from Spain and South/Central American than in between the south american countries.

I'd imagine that's pretty accurate in most cases.  A Texas accent is closer to a Californian one than an English, but a deep southern, creole accent is farther away from California than an English one, I bet it's similar down there too.  I only really know the Peruvian, Mexian and Chilean.

Zyo
  • Zyo

GTAF Crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Scotland

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:50 PM Edited by Zyo, 22 September 2015 - 04:51 PM.

From what I have seen the language is quite "castellano" as in it is distinct, clear spanish. Columbians do speak quite differently and have a lot of slang thats not found elsewhere. Quite often I have been out with a couple of columbians and someone (whos speaks perfect spanish) will turn to me and ask "what language are those guys speaking?"

Anyways it is something I have been quite interested in seeing for a while as I do know a bit about modern columbian culture and history. The opening of the series is quite good, but does seem a bit americanized so far, a bit like Blow, and I do hope they don't romanticise the character of Escobar. Wasn't entirely convinced by the casting of Wagner Moura as Escobar, but I could be persuaded.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

I see a tv show, now I think I'm the one this show is going all about .

Same with the Scarface movie were Al Pacino plays him, when some people see it, they think they're Scarface....

haha, i would have asked for examples. If you ever try to sneak back in here with a new account, please provide examples.

Im almost at the end of narcos, i dont mind the voice over, i feel it suitably faded (more) into the background after being quite prevalent in the opening episodes. Murphy himself is something of a weak point though, I agree. Not a charismatic performance really but the voice over itself I can handle. I like Pena. Carillo is definitely a bad mf, and wagner is decent though..

Spoiler

but yeah all in all, very decent show, and other than Daredevil a lot of series have struggled to hold my attention recently.

• Mister Pink likes this

RussianCommie
  • RussianCommie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:28 AM Edited by RussianCommie, 27 September 2015 - 01:20 AM.

Spoiler

Spoiler

• OH NO likes this

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:15 AM Edited by OH NO, 27 September 2015 - 01:16 AM.

Spoiler

Yes, ......

cheers bro, bit mashed so ill respond fully to your points later..but spoiler that sh*t in case people read the thread without having finished the series.

• RussianCommie likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users