Carcer City

42 replies to this topic
Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

bummed

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:38 AM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 18 September 2016 - 02:40 AM.

They just dont bother to create a name because the reference would be lost or is not worth it yet, Miami is mentioned in III yet the next game is set in gta's counterpart Vice City.

Perhaps Miami and Vice City exist side by side? YMMV.

Vice City is mentioned as a part of the Florida Keys (as well as Miami itself being mentioned in VC, at least to my knowledge), so I guess this is true. IDK if this attitude would be carried over to the HD Universe, though.

los santos doesnt have a lot of suburbs so its not CORRECT (even if suburbs aren't the most interesting playground for narrative or mayhem)

Off topic but i disagree with suburbs not being a suitable place for mayhem.

At the end of the day, it is all subjective.
And yeah, they are cool places for mayhem but even then I feel the areas Rockstar prioritized were more streamlined (in a sense?).

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

BRAINSSS

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:38 AM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 18 September 2016 - 02:40 AM.

Perhaps Miami and Vice City exist side by side? YMMV.

That wouldn't make sense, it was just a developer oversight and nothing more.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:39 AM

I wonder what London's Name would be in the HD Era. London, or something else?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:48 AM Edited by universetwisters, 18 September 2016 - 02:50 AM.

So wait, because of how you percieve one locale - the entire idea of basing a location on a real place is a bad idea?

los santos doesnt have a lot of subirbss so its not CORRECT (even if suburbs aren't the most interesting playground for narrative or mayhem)

Because how is Los Santos supposed to be a reflection of Los Angeles if it doesn't have the sprawling suburbs or highways Los Angeles is known for? Where are the sprawling ghettos that were glamorized and depicted in so many films and music videos? We're supposed to believe that a city that small is supposed to be one of the largest cities in the US? Maybe if the earth were 1/3 of what it is in real life, probably. But that's a whole nother topic.

And since when was the Statue of Liberty the original namesake (especially considering Liberty was originally a generic Northeastern city)?

If you didn't know, Liberty City was in GTA 1 aswell, and that was based on New York City a lot more than it's III counterpart. I don't know why the name carried over to GTA 3 where it didn't look much like NYC, but that name got carried over to IV where it did look a lot more like NYC than III did.

And in this case, how the f*ck is Vice City Miami then?

Miami Vice, or all of the vice that was going on there in the 1980s.

But Miami is like 1089 miles away while Vegas is 2230 miles away. defuq????

I don't know why they mixed the two either, but using those stats as an argument that Carcer is X amount of miles close to Liberty City should get it thrown out if Rockstar thinks a city almost on the other side of the country is closer than a city a dozen or so states to the south.

By the way, Carcer can't be Detroit. Detroit has been mentioned by name a couple of times in IV and V.

Carcer City can't be Philadelphia then since the DJ for that CSR station in San Andreas mentioned Philadelphia once. But then again, like Midnight Hitman said, things can be retconned.

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

bummed

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:08 AM

Carcer City can't be Philadelphia then since the DJ for that CSR station in San Andreas mentioned Philadelphia once

>ive been referring to the hd universe strictly
Anyone can see the 3D iteration is just a generic rust belt setting in the vein of Liberty City. And even then, you're stacking one instance over multiple.

Because how is Los Santos supposed to be a reflection of Los Angeles if it doesn't have the sprawling suburbs or highways Los Angeles is known for? Where are the sprawling ghettos that were glamorized and depicted in so many films and music videos? We're supposed to believe that a city that small is supposed to be one of the largest cities in the US? Maybe if the earth were 1/3 of what it is in real life, probably. But that's a whole nother topic.

Because a game world that's 90% suburb would be awesome. Rockstar were going for/have gone for variety. Always. Tacking on a million blocks of useless suburb is wouldn't do much in the vein of fun.
And besides that, why do you not have any of these problems with 3D LS or LC?

I don't know why they mixed the two either, but using those stats as an argument that Carcer is X amount of miles close to Liberty City should get it thrown out if Rockstar thinks a city almost on the other side of the country is closer than a city a dozen or so states to the south.

Even then, it's probably just a minor typo or mistake (since the rest of the stuff was fine) so I don't think it's much to completely disregard it.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:03 AM

Anyone can see the 3D iteration is just a generic rust belt setting in the vein of Liberty City. And even then, you're stacking one instance over multiple.

Alright but still, those few instances you mentioned that Philadelphia definitely is Carcer City. Philadelphia isn't the only city that had/has a heavy mob presence, nor is it the only city that really has a whole lot of steel mills. I can literally say the same about it being Pittsburgh or Buffalo even Camden. Nothing's for sure.

Even then, it's probably just a minor typo or mistake (since the rest of the stuff was fine) so I don't think it's much to completely disregard it.

I'd still disregard it. There's no way everything else can be accurate other than those two,or when it says that the circumference of Uranus (99,786 mi) is less than the circumference of Mars (13,263 mi). If they aren't willing to do the slightest bit of research into the lengths of what you could easily google or look up in an encyclopedia and put them in order, then either they're dumber than dirt or they misdid it on purpose.

• Mr. Fartenhate likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:13 AM Edited by Zello, 20 April 2017 - 01:13 AM.

If they do decide to make Carcer Philadelphia I'd like to see it set during the New York- Philly mob war

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:39 AM

I think Carcer City is based off of Detroit or Chicago.

Roger Cheeto
  • Roger Cheeto

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

I think Carcer City is based off of Detroit or Chicago.

maybe in 3d

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Anywhere City Survivor

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

My money's on Philadelphia as the basis if Carcer City's gonna return. Carcer has generally been depicted as close to Liberty City in both III/LCS and IV.

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

F*ck Take Two Interactive...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

It could be a mix of "Rustbelt" type cities like Detroit and a few others that I forgot the name of.

Philadelphia could be included in that mix.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

I'm still sticking by my opinion that it's just a generic rust belt city. At least until Rockstar proves me wrong.

MythicalCreature
  • MythicalCreature

meh

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

Funnily enough, Detroit is actually referred to by name in a website in GTA IV, so it would be a bit weird if Carcer was also based off Detroit.

I sorta agree with UT here, Carcer City's probably just a generic rust belt city located somewhere in the midwest that's just namedropped in GTA games to give us the impression that the universe is far larger than what we're playing in. I doubt they'll make a game set there, but who knows.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users