• The Deadite

WHO TRAINS YOU BRUGHHHH

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:36 AM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 17 September 2016 - 02:42 PM.

Whoever played the game Manhunt knows Carcer City, a place full of psychos, murderers, maniacs and apparently terrible electricity connections, this place is proven to exist in both gta universes (Is mentioned in gta III, SA, cops in Manhunt mention Phil Cassidy 's shop and Michael made his first hit here)
So, which city you think this place is based on?
Do you think will be ever see it as a destination in gta?

I think in due time, but if you are expecting to find the things that made Manhunt famous, you'll be dissapointed. I also think that it will be based on Detroit, seeing is on the border with Canada (turf of Michael Townley) and even though the past rendition wasn't based on any particular city, neither Liberty City and now is the gta's renditon of NY.

Thoughts?
  • Roger Cheeto and Ivan1997GTA like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:40 AM Edited by Zello, 26 August 2015 - 02:47 AM.

I think it's Detroit

But it's possible they could choose another city in the Midwest for it like Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, St. Louis, or Cleveland.

Either way I just want to see Carcer City in GTA

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WHO TRAINS YOU BRUGHHHH

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:51 AM

I think it's Detroit

But it's possible they could choose another city in the Midwest for it like Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, St. Louis, or Cleveland.

Are those cities worthy of apearing in gta?

You'll also have to remind that you are not gonna get Carcer City in his pure element, you are getting Detroit/Chicago instead, it would be just the name what you get, you didn't get Leones, Yardies and Shoreside Vale in IV (well, you kinda did, but it's not the same) 

Android
  • Android

Oreo

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:31 AM

Initially, I thought it was a spoof of some New Jersey city, but Detroit also makes sense.. 

• EarthGaia likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

Initially, I thought it was a spoof of some New Jersey city, but Detroit also makes sense.. 

Are you referring to Camden, NJ?

• Niko Montana likes this

Xing of Virtue
  • Xing of Virtue

Life makes no sense when fish are gay.

• BUSTED!
  • Antarctica

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:02 AM Edited by Xing of Virtue, 26 August 2015 - 12:40 PM.

I wonder how it looked like back in 1988.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WHO TRAINS YOU BRUGHHHH

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:38 PM

Yes, i mentioned that on the OP Xingy.

Niko Montana
  • Niko Montana

Gangsta

• Members
  • England

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:29 PM Edited by thedriver111, 26 August 2015 - 03:33 PM.

I think it is either:

Camden, New Jersey 

Spoiler

Detroit, Michigan 

Spoiler

Whatever it's based on, I hope we see Carcer City in GTA VI. It would be the perfect setting for GTA, and it's a change from the atmosphere in V.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:21 PM Edited by Zello, 30 August 2015 - 06:30 PM.

Carcer City with some snow on the ground...

GIMME CARCER CITY

• ObsydianRaven, Shadowfennekin and Niko Montana like this

ClaudX
  • ClaudX

Keep singing.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]
    Contribution Award [Concepts]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:32 PM

Similar to 3D Era Liberty City, I've always thought of it as a mix between multiple rust belt cities, but mainly Detroit. It'd be interesting to see it in a GTA game, or at least a place similar to it. Plenty of crime of whatnot.

Indianapolis

Yes.

The Mysterious One
  • The Mysterious One

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:39 PM

I like to think that the area that was shown in Manhunt was only a portion of that city. There had to have been more areas than what we saw.

• ObsydianRaven, 20cent, Shadowfennekin and 1 other like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:16 PM Edited by Zello, 16 September 2016 - 06:53 AM.

I think it's Detroit

Check the crime rates these are some of the most dangerous cities in the US or were at some point in the past.
I can see why they aren't because people don't know much about them unless they're from the states and they don't really pop out at you like say New York, Miami, or LA do.

Claptrap NL
  • Claptrap NL

Public Enemy nr. 1

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:40 PM

The only job you can get in Detroit, is a blowjob from a crack ho.

To be honest I prefer these cities based on real life cities in games where you play with ''real life'' characters.

Fantasy cities in fantasy games are okay with me, but Skyrim (example) in a city like L.A or N.Y doesn't work for me.

20cent
  • 20cent

Unlawful Enforcement

• Members

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:03 AM

I like to think that the area that was shown in Manhunt was only a portion of that city. There had to have been more areas than what we saw.

When reading this thread this is what I was exactly thinking. Carcer City would be awesome! Hell, throw in some more RPG elements and some snow and I'll buy it (jk I'm buying it wherever the game takes place).

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:03 AM Edited by Zello, 16 September 2016 - 06:43 AM.

Nvm
  • theGTAking101 likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:42 AM

Looking back while I have no evidence to support this I think that Carcer City could either be Philadelphia or Boston.
  • Mr. Fartenhate likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

Why can't Carcer City just be a generic rust belt city, like how Liberty City in III was a generic northeastern city?

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Daily Globe
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best GTAGarage Staff 2017
    Most Talented [Graphics] 2016
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Crew Poster Battle Winner 2016
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2016 [Honorable mention]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Champion Guinea Pig [GTAFMC]
    Most Annoying Member [All Time]
    Biggest Asskisser 2014
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Total Overhaul 2014 [GTA SA Beta Edition]
    Biggest Asskisser 2013

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:35 PM Edited by Kalvin, 16 September 2016 - 05:40 PM.

Because as said in the OP, Carcer City in Manhunt, like Liberty City in GTA3, wasn't based on any actual cities entirely. However, when the series moved to the "HD Universe", places like Liberty City were based off of an actual location (New York), so if Carcer City were to make an appearance in GTA, it would most likely be based off of an actual city, like as mentioned above for example, Detroit.

Back to the actual discussion though, I think that due to the infamous references of Carcer City in GTA throughout the series, cementing its actual existence in the universe, in the future they may take a crack at it as a location in a future title. However, I hope to see some location like Vice City (or the rest of the San Andreas state - San Fierro, Las Venturas) making an appearance in the HD universe first.
  • The Deadite likes this

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

Why not being mad if I can't be happy.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:55 PM

Some people say it is Detroit.

Others affirm that it is Chicago.

The Wikia says it is Filadelfia.

However, sucks how Carcer City didn't manage to be featured in any GTA yet, it was mentioned several times during the GTA 3D & HD era; radio, pedestrians, dialogues, etc.

• Zello likes this

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

bummed

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:23 AM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 17 September 2016 - 08:33 AM.

In the HD era? Philadelphia.
  • Prominent Italian Mafia, as shown from the LCPD database
  • Pretty decent crime rates, matching Philly
  • Nearby a city called Denton, matching Philly neighboring the city of Camden (and it can't be Camden because Carcer obviously is a far more influential/mentioned city)
  • Mentions of Steel Mills, with Philly and Pittsburgh being especially known for their Steel Industries
  • And the smoking gun, IV's distance traveled stat showed Liberty and Carcer are around the same distance away from each other as Philly and NYC.
So if Carcer is gonna be represented as a city in the HD Universe, my money is on Philly. The only thing that really draws any relation to Detroit is the fact that a few districts were sh*tty and Micheal went there once.

Milwaukee, Indianapolis, St. Louis, or Cleveland.

f*ck yes.

Why can't Carcer City just be a generic rust belt city, like how Liberty City in III was a generic northeastern city?

That's not what the HD Universe has been going for so far, seeing as you could probably infer that from LC's HD adaption.
And even then, why would you want a generic mish-mash setting?
  • Claude4Catalina and Zello like this

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

Carcer City bound!

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:03 PM

Denton?  Never heard of that before, not trying to come across as one of them assholes who challenges everything someone says, but where was Denton mentioned?  Out of curiosity rather than animosity!

I've always seen Carcer as a sort of composite to represent a lot of cities with similarities that would play second fiddle to Liberty City being the home of organised crime, Italians, Irish and Latino's all taking centre stage over African American and other ethnic gangs.  A city that can be played a bit loose with its inspirations; so you can throw in some Chicago, Boston, Baltimore, Philly, Cleveland, Detroit and Camden.  Don't get me wrong, all those cities do have their own character but I think with Liberty City being the epicentre, along with a lot of similarities to the aforementioned cities, Rockstar could feasibly use Carcer as a stand in, taking inspiration for multiple sources, all whilst being a bit ambiguous.  As much as I'd like to see GTA: America, I get a feeling some of the bigger east coast and midwest cities would end up like The Crew; great scenery and well done landmarks, but the streets would feel like a carbon copy of each other.

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

bummed

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:15 PM

Denton?  Never heard of that before, not trying to come across as one of them assholes who challenges everything someone says, but where was Denton mentioned?  Out of curiosity rather than animosity!

The garbage dump level was set in Denton, as the name suggests (though I could be wrong).

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

Carcer City bound!

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:08 PM

The garbage dump level was set in Denton, as the name suggests (though I could be wrong).

Could have just been a name, like Rogers Salvage and Scrap in V's Los Santos...but it does raise another question; if we did see a HD era Carcer, do you think they'd reuse some location names like Wapona Hills, Darkwoods and such?  Or would that cause too much of a continuity screw, if Manhunt itself is set in one definite era, but the city of Carcer itself is within both eras?

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:41 PM Edited by Zello, 17 September 2016 - 05:30 PM.

• And the smoking gun, IV's distance traveled stat showed Liberty and Carcer are around the same distance away from each other as Philly and NYC.
Yeah that's probably the main thing that's making it have more sense for Carcer being Philadelphia. The only thing that threw me off was Michael doing his first heist there.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

That's not what the HD Universe has been going for so far, seeing as you could probably infer that from LC's HD adaption.
And even then, why would you want a generic mish-mash setting?

Why wouldn't I want a generic mish-mash setting? V annoyed the hell out of me (and to a lesser extent IV) because while it was based on a real life place, it failed to capture the true scope of the locale. Where were the sprawling suburbs of Los Santos that Los Angeles is well known for, or the enormous ghettos? I know it's a video game but damn son, why not base it on either an original place or mix some places together if you can't get the scope of things right? Saints Row did it fine in the first couple of games (albiet looking a bit too generic), and if III can do it and excell, why couldn't it be done with Carcer City?

Plus I don't get how "Carcer" plays into any real life locations either. Liberty City is New York because of the Statue of Liberty, Los Santos (the saints) is Los Angeles (the Angels), but I wouldn't know what would play into Carcer City. Not unless Philadelphia has a bunch of Prisons or something.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WHO TRAINS YOU BRUGHHHH

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:07 PM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 17 September 2016 - 08:10 PM.

Why wouldn't I want a generic mish-mash setting? V annoyed the hell out of me (and to a lesser extent IV) because while it was based on a real life place, it failed to capture the true scope of the locale.

So you got annnoyed at every city in gta but Liberty City?

Plus I don't get how "Carcer" plays into any real life locations either. Liberty City is New York because of the Statue of Liberty, Los Santos (the saints) is Los Angeles (the Angels), but I wouldn't know what would play into Carcer City. Not unless Philadelphia has a bunch of Prisons or something.

A created city wouldn't fit the HD era, they are better off basing it on a real life city. Besides, the scope of Carcer seen in manhunt is not really broad , so there's not a real need to create an original setting.

EDIT: quotes got f*cked.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:06 AM Edited by universetwisters, 18 September 2016 - 01:06 AM.

So you got annnoyed at every city in gta but Liberty City?

They don't annoy me as much as Los Santos in V, but they shouldn't say that X city is supposed to be based on Y when X is just a very watered down version of Y. Liberty City in III I gave a pass since it was it's own original place and Vice City since, other than Ocean Drive, didn't seem like it was based much on Miami.

A created city wouldn't fit the HD era, they are better off basing it on a real life city. Besides, the scope of Carcer seen in manhunt is not really broad , so there's not a real need to create an original setting.

I think Carcer City in Manhunt is pretty broad, especially from this thread I made a few years ago asking the same question and trying to figure out which city best fits Carcer's profile, to which it seems that Carcer itself is just a mix of everything. It's mentioned in San Andreas that the river caught on fire so it could be Cincinatti, but then again there's a Carcer City Unicorns football team, which could be a reference to the Detroit Lions. It's just so inconsistent, you can't even put it on a map. Speaking of maps, I wouldn't trust the "miles traveled" stat from IV as a valid way to tell where it could be in relation to Liberty City; it lists Las Venturas (Vegas) as being closer to Liberty City than Vice City (Miami), when in reality Miami is closer than Vegas is to New York.

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

bummed

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:15 AM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 18 September 2016 - 02:16 AM.

Why wouldn't I want a generic mish-mash setting? V annoyed the hell out of me (and to a lesser extent IV) because while it was based on a real life place, it failed to capture the true scope of the locale.

So wait, because of how you percieve one locale - the entire idea of basing a location on a real place is a bad idea?

los santos doesnt have a lot of subirbss so its not CORRECT (even if suburbs aren't the most interesting playground for narrative or mayhem)

Since when was this a deciding factor? And since when was the Statue of Liberty the original namesake (especially considering Liberty was originally a generic Northeastern city)? Philly doesn't need to have a lot of prisons to be named Carcer.

And in this case, how the f*ck is Vice City Miami then?

I wouldn't trust the "miles traveled" stat from IV as a valid way to tell where it could be in relation to Liberty City; it lists Las Venturas (Vegas) as being closer to Liberty City than Vice City (Miami), when in reality Miami is closer than Vegas is to New York.

But Miami is like 1089 miles away while Vegas is 2230 miles away. defuq????

By the way, Carcer can't be Detroit. Detroit has been mentioned by name a couple of times in IV and V.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WHO TRAINS YOU BRUGHHHH

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:31 AM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 18 September 2016 - 02:34 AM.

los santos doesnt have a lot of suburbs so its not CORRECT (even if suburbs aren't the most interesting playground for narrative or mayhem)

Off topic but i disagree with suburbs not being a suitable place for mayhem.

By the way, Carcer can't be Detroit. Detroit has been mentioned by name a couple of times in IV and V.

They just dont bother to create a name because the reference would be lost or is not worth it yet, Miami is mentioned in III yet the next game is set in gta's counterpart Vice City.
  • universetwisters, Mr. Fartenhate and Payne Killer like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:35 AM

They just dont bother to create a name because the reference would be lost or is not worth it yet, Miami is mentioned in III yet the next game is set in gta's counterpart Vice City.

Perhaps Miami and Vice City exist side by side? YMMV.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users