Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA V Anti Aliasing looks like CRAP no matter what?

115 replies to this topic
swirler
  • swirler

Peon

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:00 PM

It just looks weird and bad on any settings.

Its very possible to make the game look pretty. Even the road markings, but that requires more grunt than its worth, so your best not to stare at it when testing your settings.

The first 2 pics do look quite bad, going on the vehicle and the buildings in the background. The 3rd looks reasonable (is it the same settings?!), theres minor jaggies on the car, but not bad, and the buildings in the background look perfect.

I can only guess a mod has done something along the way :s

dxivilea
  • dxivilea

the piss lord himself

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:01 PM Edited by dxivilea, 20 August 2015 - 09:02 PM.

Don't waste time, this is unfixable via anything, except ENBSeries with enabled high quality msaa option in enblocal.ini. For classic msaa totally normal to not have antialiasing for alpha test objects and specular.

You don't understand. This is not a case of weak AA, this is a case of something totally broken. Last week I did not have this problem, I got it after installing Windows 10. I even compared my old videos/pics and I clearly did not have that problem.

I will reinstall GTA right now and see if it's fixed.

XenoxX
  • XenoxX

*stubborn minded*

• BUSTED!
  • Germany

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:15 PM

Don't waste time, this is unfixable via anything, except ENBSeries with enabled high quality msaa option in enblocal.ini. For classic msaa totally normal to not have antialiasing for alpha test objects and specular.

You don't understand. This is not a case of weak AA, this is a case of something totally broken. Last week I did not have this problem, I got it after installing Windows 10. I even compared my old videos/pics and I clearly did not have that problem.

As I said look at the AA through the course of InGame time,

It changes a lot.

BorisVorontsov
  • BorisVorontsov

Mahou Shoujo

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:28 PM

I do understand how game renderer works, it always look like on your screens, because it's the way it programmed. If you had different image, this is not because of msaa, but txaa or fxaa enabled (or downsampling in drivers).

dxivilea
  • dxivilea

the piss lord himself

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

It changes a lot.

I already did. No AA vs 8xMSAA BARELY makes any difference. The absolute whole screen is full of jaggies and everything is flickering. It looks like I'm playing on 800x600 when I play on native+4x MSAA+TXAA+FXAA+SMAA

XenoxX
  • XenoxX

*stubborn minded*

• BUSTED!
  • Germany

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:49 PM

It changes a lot.

I already did. No AA vs 8xMSAA BARELY makes any difference. The absolute whole screen is full of jaggies and everything is flickering. It looks like I'm playing on 800x600 when I play on native+4x MSAA+TXAA+FXAA+SMAA

It doesnt realy make sense to have ALL of them.

Try only MSAA if you didnt allready.

Otherwise it might be a bug but it doesnt occur for me so I cannot comment further on that.

Maybe you should contact Rockstar Support via a Ticket Request including your dxdiag and msinfo files, they MAY have a solution.

swirler
  • swirler

Peon

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:56 PM

Agreed on not mixing AA's, it sucks performance and usually leads to a blurry image. Not in this case as it doesnt seem to be doing much at all.

Start back on unmodded GTA files, clean driver install, and see if you can get AA working - just stick with MSAA only.

When its sorted, add back mods one by one.

Vulgadrop
  • Vulgadrop

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:08 PM

Too bad you make the mod for only for nvidia, my screen is everything white since 0.271 :(

dxivilea
  • dxivilea

the piss lord himself

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:37 PM

I tried Boris enb and it looks a bit better but still......

This here is 4K+2xMSAA+TXAA+ENB MSAA and it barely looks as project cars does on medium anti aliasing... WTF??

GTA5_2015_08_21_01_32_21_364.png

swirler
  • swirler

Peon

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:22 PM

This here is 4K+2xMSAA+TXAA+ENB MSAA and it barely looks as project cars does on medium anti aliasing... WTF??

You are just being silly now. You cant just compare two different games created on different engines. If you prefer fapping to cars in project cars, go do that (they do look pretty XD).

Spoiler
  • XenoxX likes this

dxivilea
  • dxivilea

the piss lord himself

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:27 AM

You are just being silly now. You cant just compare two different games created on different engines. If you prefer fapping to cars in project cars, go do that (they do look pretty XD).

Spoiler

I understand what you are saying but I am referring to anti aliasing. Look at the picture I posted on page one. It's ridiculous how broken gta v's AA is.

timason
  • timason

Detail Freak

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:22 AM Edited by timason, 21 August 2015 - 12:16 PM.

EDIT: (I just discovered SGSSAA isn't worth running with DirectX11)

DX 11 MSAA is way worse than DX 10.1 MSAA in GTA 5 for some reason. If you are OK with losing tessellation and grass, you can then use Nvidia inspector to enable SGSSAA (you might be able to do it with AMD cards as well) which looks great

I think 4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA on DirectX 10.1 looks better and is less performance hungry than 4K with no AA.
FXAA can be used to perfect it, but at this point it's better not to use SGSSAA as well as the ENB fix. FXAA is great but does look a little blurry in the far distance.
Of course 8x SGSSAA would be the best but 8x MSAA is already a killer for most of us.

Hope this helps you.

EDIT 2: 

Here are some 1080p screens, please note Anisotropic Filtering has been set to 'High Quality' 16x via Nvidia Inspector (clearer textures).

Here is a screenshot comparison link for DirectX 10.1 and DirectX 11 both MSAA 4x.
http://screenshotcom...mparison/139327
Something seems to have broken the MSAA in directx 11, there are far more jaggies everywhere.

Here is DirectX 10.1 MSAA compared with DirectX 11 MSAA with the ENB fix.
http://screenshotcom...mparison/139330
Now with Boris' Fix (ENB), the MSAA is far better. It's almost the same as DirectX 10.1 MSAA as you can see... apart for some distant jaggies such as the palm trees' foliage and the top of the billboard.
That's simply R*'s fault and this is nothing Boris can fix. 

We can still improve the MSAA with SGSSAA.
To enjoy SGSSAA you will need to run DirectX 10.1 MSAA.

Here is comparing DirectX 10.1 4x MSAA (already great) with DirectX 10.1 4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA (even better).
http://screenshotcom...mparison/139333
With SGSSAA, there are less jaggies on the road paint and the hanging electronic cable, no white pixels on the car and palm tree trunks, and reflections, fences and balconies have more detail.

It is possible to run SGSSAA with DirectX 11's MSAA but you will need to run the ENB's fix and even running, the difference is minimal compared to DirectX 10.1's SGSSAA.

Here is a screen of my Nvidia Inspector, the multiplier of SGSSAA is set in concordance with the MSAA multiplier in game.

Spoiler

Verdict: Best way to get rid of jaggies is running SGSAA on DirectX 10.1. If you don't want to lose DirectX 11's features, the MSAA fixes need to be enabled on Boris' ENB but there will still be more jaggies than with DirectX 10.1's MSAA with and without SGSSAA.

BorisVorontsov
  • BorisVorontsov

Mahou Shoujo

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:45 AM Edited by BorisVorontsov, 21 August 2015 - 05:56 AM.

dxivilea

You have wrong setting, turn off TXAA, it's just useless blurring of image. MSAA must be set as high as possible (while you accept fps loss). Because my mod modify MSAA, expecting high quality antialiasing from just 2 samples is too much naive, for any game. My screenshots are made from MSAA x4 and no other types of antialiasing enabled in game or drivers.

Vulgadrop

It's not for nvidia only, you have bad drivers or crapware, other AMD users have no issues, check my forums.

ceaton88
  • ceaton88

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:16 AM

What about injecting SMAA + FXAA with SweetFX?

timason
  • timason

Detail Freak

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:34 AM

@ceaton88 While SMAA and FXAA aren't too bad they don't get rid of the dithering (annoying as hell) and make the game a little blurry in the distance.

If there was a hack to get rid of the dithering without running MSAA I would only run FXAA for days.

ceaton88
  • ceaton88

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:38 AM

Dithering can be disabled in the SweetFX preset AFAIK?

Vulgadrop
  • Vulgadrop

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:37 AM Edited by Vulgadrop, 21 August 2015 - 01:32 PM.

Vulgadrop
It's not for nvidia only, you have bad drivers or crapware, other AMD users have no issues, check my forums.

I check your forum and I see a lot of people with the same problem:

+ http://enbseries.enb...start=50#p62630

+ http://enbseries.enb...start=20#p62864

+ http://enbseries.enb...start=10#p62979

+ http://enbdev.com/en...start=70#p62617

This bug didn't happen with 0.270 which you literally said "for testing compatibility with software and hardware" but is ignored :(

At least is there any way to download 0.270? I can't find it in your website.

timason
  • timason

Detail Freak

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

@ceaton88 This dither is the way the engine renders far out objects/buildings without MSAA, SweetFX can't fix that.

dxivilea
  • dxivilea

the piss lord himself

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:56 PM Edited by dxivilea, 21 August 2015 - 12:57 PM.

You don't understand I used to play the game on 2x samples and it looked just fine. Dithering is not a problem to me either. My problem is that there are jaggies and even more than jaggies there is flickering everywhere, especially at night. It looks like I play the game through a moving mesh on my screen.

4xMSAA doesn't look any different than 2xMSAA, barely noticeable difference but fps loss is too much for the game to be playable.

timason
  • timason

Detail Freak

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:01 PM

4xMSAA doesn't look any different than 2xMSAA

LOL. But yes performance hit is ridiculous.

rastakilla
  • rastakilla

OG on the Scene

• Members

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:42 AM

Nothing beats 4K or DSR for GTAV

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:58 AM

I have the same problem as the OP ever since the game was released. No matter what AA setting I choose there were so many jaggies. Very distracting and annoying. Will try ENB and/or SweetFX. Completely forgot about them.

Can't use DSR until I get my new card.

XenoxX
  • XenoxX

*stubborn minded*

• BUSTED!
  • Germany

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:58 AM

You don't understand I used to play the game on 2x samples and it looked just fine. Dithering is not a problem to me either. My problem is that there are jaggies and even more than jaggies there is flickering everywhere, especially at night. It looks like I play the game through a moving mesh on my screen.

4xMSAA doesn't look any different than 2xMSAA, barely noticeable difference but fps loss is too much for the game to be playable.

Try the upscaling option, in the advanced graphics menu.

timason
  • timason

Detail Freak

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:54 AM

4k without AA still has a lot of jaggies compared to dx10 MSAA 4x 1080p.

_MK_
  • _MK_

JRod

• Members
  • None
  • Best Vehicle [Snap] 2016
    Best Scenery [Snap] 2015
    Best Filtered [Snap] 2015

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:43 AM

4k without AA still has a lot of jaggies.

I'll have to disagree

Spoiler

Octane
  • Octane

Brother from another mother

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best GTA Topic 2015 [The Next DLC Discussion Thread]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:48 AM

Can't you just be grateful you're able to play the game in 4K? I could care less about spending $300 more dollars just to make power lines more clear, instead I would be so happy that I am playing the game in 4K high setting.

dxivilea
  • dxivilea

the piss lord himself

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:32 AM Edited by dxivilea, 22 August 2015 - 06:33 AM.

Can't you just be grateful you're able to play the game in 4K? I could care less about spending $300 more dollars just to make power lines more clear, instead I would be so happy that I am playing the game in 4K high setting.

But I can't play the game in 4K. I get 20-30 fps on 4K and 5-6 fps if I use MSAA in 4K. I just used 4K for the pics to set an example.

And unlike that guy above I still get a lot of jaggies at 4K.

timason
  • timason

Detail Freak

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:29 AM

@_MK_ 4K without any AA doesn't look like that for me, still a lot of double edges.

BorisVorontsov
  • BorisVorontsov

Mahou Shoujo

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:46 PM

Vulgadrop

I've asked on the forum, right now at least one amd user have no issues (and i remember that white objects bug somehow was fixed for someone). So it's not amd incompatibility.

_MK_
  • _MK_

JRod

• Members
  • None
  • Best Vehicle [Snap] 2016
    Best Scenery [Snap] 2015
    Best Filtered [Snap] 2015

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:08 PM Edited by _MK_, 23 August 2015 - 01:18 PM.

@_MK_ 4K without any AA doesn't look like that for me, still a lot of double edges.

Visuals are not vanilla,so that's probably why it doesn't look the same,point is no AA was used,hm gonna have to disagree again  :D the only double edges that can be seen are on the 2feet far part wall for the beach parking lot and a very tiny amount on the pedestrians bridge on the far left side,don't see how these two in total can be considered as " still a lot".

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users