Confessions of a Buzzard Griefer

93 replies to this topic
thedeephouser
  • thedeephouser

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

I picked up GTA 5 in the fall of 2013, about a month or so after its release. Ive played almost exclusively online, having made very little progress in the main campaign. When I first started playing, I flew the Lazer a lot, almost exclusively. At some point, I dont remember exactly when (maybe around level 40 when the Buzzard began spawning for me), I switched to the Buzzard. At first I thought it was unwieldy, hard to fly, inaccurate and a fragile shell incapable of sustaining any kind of damage.

In total, I think Ive logged more than 20,000 flight miles in the Buzzard. Thats quite a lot. I became adept at maneuvering the Buzzard in the tightest of spaces at high speed. I became expert at chasing and destroying cars (last stint in Bad Sport was 30 days as a result of the bad habit) and killing people on foot. Before the Homing Launcher was released, I simply flew circles in the air, perhaps 75 to 100 feet up, rotating around and around, dropping missiles on people. I spawn killed plenty of people until they rage quit, Id kill them once and fly off, Id target bounties, etc. I had no real rhyme or reason to my indiscriminate killing I just simply enjoyed it. I enjoyed developing the skills to fly the Buzzard at an expert level and I enjoyed getting into battles with people. I had developed to the point of being virtually unstoppable in the Buzzard, especially in Free Aim and before helicopters had their own icons on the map. Thats not to say I never got killed or blown up certainly it happened, its GTA and it comes with the territory.

Then, Rockstar released the Homing Launcher. I felt it personally. I felt as if Rockstar were targeting me and my flying habits directly. I put the controller down for a while, picking it up sparingly. I just about quit I thought the HL was way OP and didnt give anyone in a Buzzard a chance at all. Slowly, I came back to the game and have been playing regularly for a few months, back to my old self exclusively flying the Buzzard. It took some getting used to, but now Im actually glad that Rockstar added the HL. I enjoy flying against it. It makes the flying much more fun, it makes the attacks much more fun, and it makes the kills much more rewarding.

At this point, I have no fear of the HL. In fact, it now poses minimal threat to me. Yeah, it still gets me. But, way more often I end up killing the other person first (often multiple times). The HL has given people a false sense of security against the Buzzard. Im not sure what the hit rate is for people shooting the HL at me while Im attacking in the Buzzard, but its low. Indeed, once I target an individual and start the royal rumble, they many times quickly ditch the HL and switch to other weapons instead. They simply miss over and over again until they run out of rockets or realize that its virtually useless. The chain gun is by far a more effective weapon than the HL against a skilled Buzzard pilot who is locked on to you. Id much rather go up against a stooge who thinks the HL is the better choice than against someone who realizes that the chain gun is what will work against me. I still regularly defeat chain gun users one on one, but I do get killed in the cockpit from time to time, the Buzzard does take significant damage after a few repeated passes on the target (through multiple kills or even repeated passes to get the first kill), and I do have to fly off to replace the Buzzard much more quickly and often than against someone who tries to use the HL exclusively.

My flying and attack strategy is simple. I start by identifying a target. Usually, Ill look for a high level, red dot. I enjoy going for those level 200+ red dots. You know theyre up to no good, and I dont really feel bad spawn killing them in the Buzzard. I dont often target low-level white dots, unless they take a pot shot at me while flying or offend me in some other manner. Then Ill spawn kill them until they rage quit or I get bored and move on (usually when a bounty appears). After identifying my target, I use my phone to highlight the target this assists greatly with targeting and accuracy, although its not really necessary. Its also not always feasible.

Typically, Ill approach from around a corner, just above the rooftops. Ill then come straight at them from a short distance. This is what makes the HL virtually useless. Many times the target will not even be able to get a shot off Ill see them with the HL pulled out and lining up a shot before they are blown up by my rocket. If they do get a shot off, they either fire too soon and miss, or because Im now heading straight at them from an unexpected angle, the HL just flies past me harmlessly. Usually, I only need one pass to kill someone. Two rockets is a lot, and I can drop them on the targets head pretty consistently. If I need a second pass, once I pass the target, Ill quickly zoom around the next corner and plan my next run. If I killed the target on the first run, Ill fly away and down into a cut and wait for the target to respawn and then plan my next run. Again, come around the corner low and fast, drop a rocket, two if needed, and fly off around the next corner. Total time on target, or in the targets line of site is probably two or three seconds at most.

Things become a bit more complicated when there are two, three, or more players in an area. Taking out targets isnt impossible, but taking cover, dodging HL rockets, etc., is much more difficult. Two players dont worry me too much. Often times I can take both out in the same first pass one rocket for each. Typically they spawn far enough away to no longer constitute a legitimate dual-threat. Three is a bit tougher, but still doable. Four and things get interesting.

Ive even become adept at taking out jets, both the Lazer and they Hydra, while piloting the Buzzard. Again, it all comes down to tactics. Obviously, using cover and flying around the city is the best strategy. You have to lure the jet to you not fly out after the jet. You also cant be deep in the city center, because that discourages all but the most ace pilots from engaging. I wont get into too many boring details, but it basically comes down to luring the jet to you, taking cover, rotating to fly the direction the jet will after passing, launching two rockets quickly, and then retreating back to the cover of a building. Ive destroyed countless jets using this tactic. Ive also ventured out and taken on jets one on one outside of the city and been successful, although it is a lower rate of success. Im also adept at air to air combat, especially against other Buzzards. The Savage can cause problems due to missile spawning and those are probably the most even air-to-air battles in which I engage.

In the end, I thank Rockstar for introducing the HL. It has made the game more fun for me as a Buzzard griefer. It has immensely improved my flying skills. It gives a false sense of security and safety to targets on the ground. Ill continue my flying ways in the Buzzard, continuously seeking innovative attack tactics, improving flying skills, and racking up kills. Im only level 108 or so but thats misleading. I dont do missions, jobs, or really anything to rack up levels other than kill targets and escape the police. So, while Im level 108, those are Buzzard levels and my flying skills are much greater than reflected in my overall game level of 108.

I do realize that Im the type of player that many GTA players hate with a passion. I also realize that those players are thankful for the HL. The irony is that Im also grateful for the HL I would not be nearly the pilot I am today if Rockstar had not introduced the HL. My nap-of-the-earth flying has improved immensely, as well as the quickness and accuracy with which I can dispatch rockets to targets. I have changed my attack habits some, though. I no longer indiscriminately destroy personal vehicles and I dont really target low-level white dots.

I started this post recalling my initial thoughts of the Buzzard as difficult to fly and unable to sustain damage. Im now convinced it is the best helicopter in the game and it isnt even close. The truth is that a skilled pilot doesnt need to spam rockets on ground targets, which is really the only advantage that the Savage has. The Buzzard can fly circles around the Savage. The Buzzard is so small, fast, and maneuverable that in the hands of a skilled pilot it represents and extremely difficult target to kill. I do still die, for sure. Just as Im an expert pilot in the Buzzard, there are expert ground warriors. I still think I tend to come out ahead, simply because the Buzzard offers a lot of advantages. My Kill/Death ration is closing in on 2.40 now, which I think is respectable. I am admittedly weak on the ground, as I dont have the same practice that I do in the Buzzardso if I do get show down, or killed and respawn, the best chance for the enemy is to get me before I can speed off and get into another helicopter. Ive been spawn killed plenty in that manner its just part of the game.

Im sure plenty of users will have choice words for me based on this post, and I understand and accept that. The bottom line is that GTA is a game, and we all play in the manners that please us and make it fun for us. Im not going to change my playing habits because I enjoy what I do, and I am good at it. I adapted to the game and others can do the same. Feel free to add me on Xbox live if youd like to fly with me some time I enjoy teaming up with another Buzzard (helps attract some of those chain guns and HL rockets :)
  • LeonTheKiller, Mr.ClaudeFan, StangOne50 and 13 others like this

thedeephouser
  • thedeephouser

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:45 PM

I wrote this post in a work email, sent to my gmail, and then copy/pasted here. Along the way, formatting was lost. Specifically, apostrophes and dashes. Excuse that...as I really do know how to write.

chef_archie
  • chef_archie

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

OP, I'm glad you brought this up. The Buzzard is the only pegusus vehicle I will use in freeroam, I am more of a ground combat guy myself, but when I want to change it up I go for my Buzzard.

While fighting a Lazer can be tricky, I am thus far undefeated against a one on one with a Hydra. Now 2 hydras against my one lonely buzzard, they eventually bring me down.

My best Buzzard performance was against this group of 7, We started out with ground combat near the prison as a free for all until they decided to gang up on me, and when that still didn't work due to their piss poor sniping skills they decided to get in their Kurumas and drive off to the east coast freeway. So I jump in my buzzard, go off radar and blow them up, just as my off radar wore off, then they spawn on the side of the freeway near each other, so I hover above them and as they shoot and miss with the HL, I dip down Shoot and get the kills, Twice each on the 7 of them. Then they start spawning in all directions, so I had to cut my losses and flee for cover, As they lock on with the HL and fire. Luckily I bail in Time as the buzzard explodes and we go back to ground combat and I continue to punish them, until they call me a modder and rage quit.

This was easily my best buzzard performance of all time, since the HL came out.

Creme_Brulee
  • Creme_Brulee

Another night, another patrol with you.

• Members
  • Portugal
  • Best Certified Crew 2016 [Van Society]
    GTAF Time Trials New Year Champion 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

Damn, I'd like to play with you, maybe so you could teach me a bit xD I'm on a different platform unfortunately.

The problem with the HL users is that they trust only in its homing capabilities, which aren't enough, they need to shoot at the right angle as well. So, let's say someone is circling around you in a heli clockwise. Instead of shooting right at the heli with the HL, they should shoot more to the right, so they can get a hit on the heli. Or shoot a bit to the left, that way the HL follows the heli from the left, turns right then goes straight into it. I hope I am being clear, it's hard to explain.

thedeephouser
  • thedeephouser

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:09 PM Edited by thedeephouser, 07 August 2015 - 10:11 PM.

Brau:

Just remember: low and fast. Attack from around a corner. Take your shots, and scoot off around the next corner.

And remember to turn off the headlight in the Buzzard. I spot so many Buzzards at night because these fools don't turn off the headlight.

Archie, the Hydra is consistently at a distinct disadvantage against the Buzzard. I don't think a Hydra has ever defeated me one on one.

Heck, I've killed multiple glitched-out invisible Hydras in my Buzzard.
  • KimFowleyJr likes this

stew5556
  • stew5556

Rat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:00 AM

im a buzzard man myself n I 2 have taken down hydra's in my buzzard. I get a buzz from it. im not that good of a pilot, highest kill streak was about 5 b4 taken down by 2 ( I think) HL's from 2 different players. Like OP said, when the HL came out I hardly ever used my buzzard n felt targeted by R* cause I like using a buzzard.  after a while I saw the HL as a challenge to duke it. at first I failed (a lot) but as time went by I was able to duke it. it an awesome feeling when u duke a HL n get the kill. buzzard it my first choice of air craft now. savage is still growing on me, but id rather master the buzzard first.

size_m
  • size_m

no, it's not a hot dog!

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

i also like to use the buzzard alot, although i'm not a very good pilot.

i use to blow up players in their cars (mostly bounties), as it's missiles now lock on ground vehicles which makes it very easy.

i don't get shot down very often because it's so easy to bail out from the buzzard when you hear the lockon sound.

but your post inspires me to practice dodging and fighting the hl instead of bailing out.

i'll also try to fight players on foot and maybe hydras with your method.

thedeephouser
  • thedeephouser

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:32 PM

I encourage you to take people on as described above. If you hear the lock on sound, just keeps flying towards the target - it'll likely miss and you can get your shots off.

Jehannum
  • Jehannum

PS4

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:40 PM

I wrote this post in a work email, sent to my gmail, and then copy/pasted here.

I'm telling your boss.

derek0514
  • derek0514

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:39 AM Edited by derek0514, 09 August 2015 - 03:42 AM.

I have no fear of buzzard downed probably 100 of them w hsm - bring it on. Others close quarters w rpg or grenade launcher.

If they on radar I set up ready get them. When I had airport garage shot them down in droves.

I may hide around bldg corner then get them as they fly by. If come close head on good - then rpg easy target.
  • DentureDynamite likes this

thedeephouser
  • thedeephouser

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:49 PM

I have no fear of buzzard downed probably 100 of them w hsm - bring it on. Others close quarters w rpg or grenade launcher.

If they on radar I set up ready get them. When I had airport garage shot them down in droves.

I may hide around bldg corner then get them as they fly by. If come close head on good - then rpg easy target.

If you have Xbox, add me and let's battle. Would probably be fun.
  • monkb4skunk likes this

Skeve613
  • Skeve613

Cargobob at heart.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:56 PM

I agree a lot. When I first used it, the Buzzard seemed unwieldy and useless, but I bought one on the hunch that the problem was me and not the helicopter, and it has really paid off in both contact missions and free roam. While I do also still use the jet and enjoy laughing at all the HL rockets fired at me even when I am not killing anyone, especially now that I own a Hydra, waging war in the Buzzard is a much more exhilarating and challenging affair.

I think what usually gets people for me is playing very aggressively and getting up close while using buildings for cover, which really wrecks people that rely on the HL excessively, and it also helps me retain the initiative on them. The rockets are very easy to hit with up close and if you are a good shot you can usually instantly kill people before they can shoot you out of the cockpit. The times when I have gotten killed it has usually been because I went after someone in good cover who knew how to play, and was good with aiming the RPG, which is not a situation that favors the Buzzard, and which I now know better than to engage in.

HL noobs are a feast for a Buzzard, as once you know how long it takes for them to get a lock-on you know exactly how long you have to rocket them or disrupt it by breaking line of sight. Although dangerous, I also like to charge straight at players so that they have a hard time tracking me, and the rockets have a tough time turning around to hit me. The Savage has a much harder time doing these things than the Buzzard does, and I usually have to rely on on quick and accurate aiming with the nose cannon and minimizing my exposure time to stay alive.

Against vehicles, I fly low and fast so that the rockets very often follow straight behind the vehicle rather than hitting the ground, or I wait by corners where I know they have to slow down and fire off dumbfire rockets. Hitting bikers in contact missions with rockets was very good practice in this regard, as it gave me a sense of how much aim to lead or time to allow for a lock-on rocket to travel to the target.

thedeephouser
  • thedeephouser

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:27 PM Edited by thedeephouser, 11 August 2015 - 11:27 PM.

Do you have XBox 360? We should fly together if you do.
  • TheRealAndrew likes this

DentureDynamite
  • DentureDynamite

GTAO PC

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:39 PM Edited by DentureDynamite, 12 August 2015 - 07:30 PM.

OP: Platform? If you're on the PC, we need to talk. :)

But (other than your spawn griefing) good post, and I agree: Buzzard FTW. :) One of the best vehicles in the game IMNSHO.

I'd still love to see some kind of mini-chopper (i.e. a tiny one-man, open-air vehicle, similar to what's in Borderlands)--mostly because we don't have a jet pack in-game. Methinks the FP open-air visuals and increased access to smaller, tighter flying spaces would be well worth it. :)

thedeephouser
  • thedeephouser

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:02 PM

I'm on XBox 360.

I'd live for any XBox Buzzard pilots to check in so we can fly together.

I want to add that the Buzzard is a lot tougher than people give it credit for. It really can take a lot of damage before going out of commission.

DentureDynamite
  • DentureDynamite

GTAO PC

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:12 PM Edited by DentureDynamite, 12 August 2015 - 08:13 PM.

XBox 360? Darn. Honestly, was hoping I could fly with you to learn some of your tricks, and just have fun flying in general. :)

Please consider transferring to PC...if you do, add me as a friend! (hey, I can dream right?)

The Buzzard really can take a fair bit of damage; I of all people should know that--I've run into just about everything in the map. lol

• KimFowleyJr likes this

FuqOutTheWay
  • FuqOutTheWay

Thug

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:15 PM Edited by skeochj.1, 12 August 2015 - 11:16 PM.

Come near me in your buzzard and expect a heavy sniper round through your fore head and out the back of your seat lol
  • iBUCKEYE and Captain Hammer like this

thedeephouser
  • thedeephouser

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:57 PM Edited by thedeephouser, 13 August 2015 - 01:57 PM.

You're welcome to take your shots.

Try to take enough time to line up a shot through the scope and you're going to eat a rocket. :)
  • DentureDynamite likes this

G3T STR4F3D
  • G3T STR4F3D

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:55 PM

I'm on XBox 360.

I'd live for any XBox Buzzard pilots to check in so we can fly together.

I want to add that the Buzzard is a lot tougher than people give it credit for. It really can take a lot of damage before going out of commission.

lol I'm on Xbox 360 and use Savage. Buzzard may be a good scout helicopter, but Savage is way better in terms of combat imo. Yes, the Savage is big and slow, but it has some real firepower. The Buzzard on the other hand, is light and fast. It has reload times for its rockets and it has a standard turret.

thedeephouser
  • thedeephouser

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:14 PM

Add me!

I'll team up with a Savage. We would reign supreme!

FuqOutTheWay
  • FuqOutTheWay

Thug

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

You're welcome to take your shots.

Try to take enough time to line up a shot through the scope and you're going to eat a rocket. :)

I don't need much time to line up a shot bud https://youtu.be/4giG5VNbFHE

size_m
  • size_m

no, it's not a hot dog!

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:22 AM

somebody mentioned that people on ground cannot lock on to stolen randomly spawned buzzards.

they can only lockon to your pegasus buzzard.

that would make it even easier for buzzard pilots.

can anybody confirm this?

thedeephouser
  • thedeephouser

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:57 AM

Not true. All I fly are spawned Buzzards.

DentureDynamite
  • DentureDynamite

GTAO PC

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:13 PM Edited by DentureDynamite, 14 August 2015 - 12:14 PM.

somebody mentioned that people on ground cannot lock on to stolen randomly spawned buzzards.

they can only lockon to your pegasus buzzard.

that would make it even easier for buzzard pilots.

can anybody confirm this?

It may be an intermittent bug; a week or so ago I ran into a guy in a Buzzard trying to attack me that I could not lock onto with the homing launcher--no matter what I did. I assumed he was using some kind of script kiddie trainer, but maybe not..! I proved it easily because at one point there was an NPC Maverick flying further behind him that the HL locked onto right away.

thedeephouser
  • thedeephouser

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

Bumping for any fellow Buzzard pilots who want to join up and fly together on 360

derek0514
  • derek0514

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:51 PM

When I am in garage or apt and c a chopper want go out and get kill w HSM. Shot a lot of them down. Area around me is no fly zone.

poppafewpills
  • poppafewpills

R.I.P. The Dupes....

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

( in my best Pulp Fiction voice )
Pretty good friggen story... I dunno if it was worth five dollars, but that's a pretty good friggen story.

Dream-_-Traveler
  • Dream-_-Traveler

Thanks4TheMemoriesGTAIV <3 ILY ALL.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:07 PM

Add me
Im a gta iv free aim player and original pilot.
Add dream-_-traveler for trolling sessions: )

Eternal Donkey
  • Eternal Donkey

Lady Kush :)(:

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:13 PM Edited by Freak_Show, 14 November 2015 - 12:42 AM.

dude are you on 360? if so,I'll share my gamertag with you because I'm a deep houser like you and I mostly fly my buzzard in freeroam.Generally go hide on a rooftop and snipe players from there but when I'm bored,I go for hunting in buzzard.two years ago( first year of gtav) me and my friend did many buzzard actions together.I was the pilot and he was to shooter,we created too much terror on LS  :panic:

I miss those old days...

by the way :

great one by Milton Jackson,he is a pure talent

thedeephouser
  • thedeephouser

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:43 PM Edited by thedeephouser, 13 November 2015 - 11:43 PM.

I am on 360. Add me! Gamer tag is the same.

That's real deep house. Not what a lot of people today call deep house.

I love that slick, vocal, old-school sound.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users