Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:13 PM

If you say so.

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:41 AM

I have a better rip of that one (it's louder). I'm more interested in the Slyder songs. I might update my Rise FM mix if higher quality versions are available.

Louder doesn't mean better quality. If a track is quiet you can easily amplify it. I'll download the new rip by Helegad and will have a listen. If the rip you have is the one that I have I'll let you know which one is better.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

Actually sound fidelity is related to dynamic compression. The louder you make a song without distorting the better it will sound on most audio equipment. Compression brings detail to the surface.

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:00 AM

Actually sound fidelity is related to dynamic compression. The louder you make a song without distorting the better it will sound on most audio equipment. Compression brings detail to the surface.

While losing the original feel of the mix in the process. I see two better solutions to your problem:

1. Turn your speakers up

2. Use ReplayGain

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:07 AM

We don't know what the original mix sounded like because vinyl is crap (for sound amplitude).

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:45 AM

That's just a really stupid thing to say. Everything above the noise floor is what matters, and there's plenty on vinyl.

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:10 PM Edited by stef_92, 16 September 2017 - 05:08 AM.

No. If the dynamic range compression is too much it won't sound good at all since the sound becomes flat, many elements of the track could be "washed", etc. Everything should be done with caution and precision. That's why mastering a track is a very difficult task. But mastering a track for vinyl is even more difficult task because you must have all the physical limitations of the vinyl in mind. So you know - you can't expect miracles from a vinyl. You can try to remaster a vinyl rip just how I did with Slyder - Score but nothing can be better than having the original digital master itself :)

About the new rip by Helegad - it sounds better than the previous one for sure. There's still noticeable vinyl noise but not that much. Yet the rip that I have is still better. Your copy doesn't sound really good in the high frequency range and that's probably because its age (which is normal for vinyl). That's the sad thing about vinyl - the sound quality degrades with time.
I'm still waiting for the day when we'll receive a decent rip of Slyder - Score.

EDIT: are yiu sure that you recorded it with 0% pitch? It sounds like it was pitched
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago Edited by Helegad, A week ago.

Probably was off a bit. It sort of clicked the other week that a lot of my vinyls weren't playing at the right speed so I learned how to calibrate with a strobe light, which is pretty cool.

I am now the proud owner of Neo (missed out on Score by a day) so when that arrives I'll deliver a re-rip of Deep Time too.

EDIT: Bought Shake and Innerbattle too :D

• Pyrrhic and Ivan1997GTA like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users