Photo

Doctor Who

165 replies to this topic
Firefly8000
  • Firefly8000

The Harwood Butcher

• Members

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

And Capaldi is in, nto a spoiler, it was made public months ago. Good episode, liked the explanations :)

What did you think of the explanation for

Spoiler
was pretty lame. It's been such a big thing for like 30 years that that was just eehhh..?

Also, how do you think the marketing is going to go down with the the whole screwy numbering thing.

Spoiler

He's 12. The 12th main Doctor. War Doctor doesn't count and the other regeneration wasn't really a 'regeneration'. 13 regenerations, 13 different faces, but only 12 are The Doctor, if that makes sense.

New kidneys!

• Kippers likes this

Kippers
  • Kippers

しようがない

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:55 PM Edited by Kippers, 26 December 2013 - 02:57 PM.

Sure, I understand that as Smith stated that War Doctor wasn't The Doctor by name, but still counted as a regen. Yeah. I've already seen a bunch of people on Who forums (like Gallifreybase) refer to Capaldi as 14 as they include both Tennants under the logic that if he used regen juice, then it's a tick in the regen box.

How do you feel about Moffat playing with these things? The limit was an issue that was going to need a solution sooner or later, like a noose around the series' neck, but do you think Moffat needed to push it at this point? If only so he could claim that he was the one who sorted it out? (Which after rewatching that segment, I still feel was a bit lame)

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

And Capaldi is in, nto a spoiler, it was made public months ago. Good episode, liked the explanations :)

What did you think of the explanation for

Spoiler
was pretty lame. It's been such a big thing for like 30 years that that was just eehhh..?

Also, how do you think the marketing is going to go down with the the whole screwy numbering thing.

Spoiler

He's 12. The 12th main Doctor. War Doctor doesn't count and the other regeneration wasn't really a 'regeneration'. 13 regenerations, 13 different faces, but only 12 are The Doctor, if that makes sense.

New kidneys!

"I don't like the color"

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Sure, I understand that as Smith stated that War Doctor wasn't The Doctor by name, but still counted as a regen. Yeah. I've already seen a bunch of people on Who forums (like Gallifreybase) refer to Capaldi as 14 as they include both Tennants under the logic that if he used regen juice, then it's a tick in the regen box.

How do you feel about Moffat playing with these things? The limit was an issue that was going to need a solution sooner or later, like a noose around the series' neck, but do you think Moffat needed to push it at this point? If only so he could claim that he was the one who sorted it out? (Which after rewatching that segment, I still feel was a bit lame)

I don't think doing it now had anything to do with Moffat wanting to leave a mark. I'm not sure how the decision to end Smith's run was made, but I think it was going to happen no matter what and Moffat had to change the regen countdown. Otherwise, the show would be over, and that wouldn't be fun.

Can't wait for the new episodes. I want to get to know the new Doctor.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

8 months is way too long for the new season start.
  • WBaker likes this

Kippers
  • Kippers

しようがない

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:28 PM Edited by Kippers, 26 December 2013 - 10:30 PM.

I don't think doing it now had anything to do with Moffat wanting to leave a mark. I'm not sure how the decision to end Smith's run was made, but I think it was going to happen no matter what and Moffat had to change the regen countdown. Otherwise, the show would be over, and that wouldn't be fun.

Can't wait for the new episodes. I want to get to know the new Doctor.

It's certainly good for Smith's legacy that it was his Doctor which got the solution. They could have ignored the Tennant-to-Tennant regen* (wibbley-wobbley, timey-wimey) and delayed having to address the issue. But I suppose it's better to get that issue off the brain for another (50?) years. 

I've got a feeling Capaldi's going to be a new favourite. Can't wait to see him getting angry at something. Eccleston was great when he was mad.

*I believe they've ignored some false regenerations in the older series before.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:45 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 26 December 2013 - 11:45 PM.

Yeah, 10's double regen, could have just been ignored. An easy completely understandable loophole. It would have been better if the regeneration was a surprise, but the show is too popular to keep that a secret.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

I very much like the fact that they didn't just forget Tennant's secondary regeneration, and are playing around with the idea of the Doctor having side effects from entering his thirteenth regeneration. Evidently it's bound to be different and all of these little oddities that aren't usually part of the Doctor's regeneration sequences seem to scream that there's going to be something off with Capaldi's Doctor, at least at the start. 

First thing to address was the power and strength of the Doctor's regenerations, over time they've gotten stronger and stronger (More than likely because they're using more and more of the Time Lord energies that he's got stored inside him with each additional regeneration. So the fact that the Town of Christmas was almost destroyed in the process of his regeneration's not really surprising and seeing as that was the major change for him (the kick to start it if you will) then the swiftness of the change from Smith to Capaldi shouldn't come as a surprise. 

The two things that this episode shocked me with were tiny, little things that most people wouldn't notice or think that they're just in there for the fun of it. The first of these little sequences is when the Doctor tells Barnible-who's-not-really-Barnible that he's got a plan up his sleeve, but after Barnible leaves he reveals to Clara that he in fact doesn't have a plan and people just like it when he says that he does. 

The problem with that scene is that the Time Lords are supposedly projecting a massive truth field onto Trensalor which prevents him from lying AT ALL. So how on Earth was the Doctor able to lie (While sitting right next to the crack in the wall where all of the transmissions are coming from) without breaking a sweat? I mean even after three hundred years of constant exposure we still see that the Doctor's still unable to lie or hide anything about himself (telling Barnible that he might leave tomorrow, or the day after that, or the day after that) which proves that he can't have just become immune to it all. 

The second sequence is of course the moment that Capaldi says "I don't like the colour" referring of course to his new kidneys and then going on to say "You don't happen to know how to fly this thing?". The Doctor never refers to the TARDIS as just a "thing" and in all of his previous regenerations, he's never once lost the knowledge of how to maneuver and pilot it. He's also always had to check his body to see what things looked like, yet he somehow knows what colour his kidneys are? Is this some sort of special ability that he's gained from having an abnormal amount of regenerations? And is it somehow tied in to him not being able to remember how to fly the TARDIS? 

Whatever the case may be I'm desperately hoping that Moffat addresses these issues with Capaldi's first episode, and I'm also very much looking forward to seeing just what suit he chooses. The Doctor's attire is what makes him such an amazing character and the fact that bow-ties and fez's' are no longer cool makes me kinda sad, still it'll be interesting to see what Capaldi decks himself out with next series.

Firefly8000
  • Firefly8000

The Harwood Butcher

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

I'm sure they'll chock the 'memory loss' up as a side-effect of regeneration, like how The Eighth had amnesia upon regenerating. As for how he knows what colour his kidneys are, or hell, why his kidneys stand out so much to him, I've no idea.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:29 AM Edited by Mr Scratch, 28 December 2013 - 11:14 AM.

Let's hope he doesn't forget that Gallifrey still exists, like the War and 9th Doctor did.

time-traveled.gif

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:29 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 30 December 2013 - 03:31 PM.

Capaldi was f*cking hilarious and dark in the regeneration scene. I have a feeling he could be the next greatest doctor after Tennant in my opinion, or even better than him.

I don't understand why this episode is receiving a lot of hate for some reason. A lot of people are mad because his face changed in a second, but thats because it was a delayed regeneration, his full one started on top of the church. People are also mad that he couldn't remember how to fly the tardis, that is because it's post regen amnesia.

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

Part-time spy, full-time maniac

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:10 AM

Let's hope he doesn't forget that Gallifrey still exists, like the War and 9th Doctor did.

time-traveled.gif

he might for a bit but he will have to remember to help save it. the regeneration scene was a really good sign, seems to be a cross between eccleston and tennant which for me would be f*cking perfection

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

This amnesia has to wear off soon especially considering he has a new regen cycle. I wonder who the next companion will be after Clara.

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:36 AM

doctorwho-capaldi.jpg

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:45 AM

"f*ckin' watch me time travel yes?"

His outfit reminds me a bit of Jon Pertwee.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

The internet is off and running with that picture...

h2YmIAz.gif

VMcQLbD.gif

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Looks like he took 11's suit and modified it, love the doc martens he's got on, a bit of a nod to Capaldi's days in that punk band he was in.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

He looks good in that suit.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hey. The Series Premiere (as you say in the UK), is tonight. Just thought I'd bump this.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

Can't. f*cking. wait. My nerd senses are tingling.

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

Right after Utopia ends doctor who returns. We replace one old question for another.

Testarossa
  • Testarossa

now please, hear what i hear

• The Connection
  • Mexico
  • Worst Ferrari
    Best Concept DLC 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

I'm so excited.

Firefly8000
  • Firefly8000

The Harwood Butcher

• Members

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

Oh man. I've been forgetting about this over and over again. Feels like yesterday we watched Matt Smith regenerate. Crazy.

happygrowls
  • happygrowls

inactive but lurks alot

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

DAW sh*t 2 MORE HOURS

Testarossa
  • Testarossa

now please, hear what i hear

• The Connection
  • Mexico
  • Worst Ferrari
    Best Concept DLC 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

THAT WAS FANTASTIC

• happygrowls likes this

happygrowls
  • happygrowls

inactive but lurks alot

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

THAT WAS FANTASTIC

"Fantastic, Absolutely Fantastic"

Spoiler

NEXT WEEK THE DALEKS ARE BACK 

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:17 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 23 August 2014 - 10:21 PM.

Still waiting for it to air in the US.

the_day_of_the_doctor-99669.gif

Edit: they're showing the Day of the Doctor right now on BBC America. And next, they're showing Time of the Doctor before the premiere. Guess I'll have to take a break from the Simpsons marathon.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:45 PM

It was meh to be honest, they didn't use the assets they were given effectively and there was little to no exposition whatsoever as to why anything was happening, although quite clearly Moffat is going to be following the RTD plot device that was thought up nearly seven years ago at my count. Episode was meh, nothing special and Capaldi's really lifeless, although I can understand that being intentional due to the nature of the episode, it doesn't change the fact that the Doctor is usually far more vibrant and interesting in these episodes than he was here.

Oh and it wasn't even explained how or where he remembered these machines from, I mean come on. If I do recall correctly though they're either some form of Cyberman or some of those clockwork people we saw early on in David Tennant's run as the Doctor but at this current moment in time I just can't recall the name of species/organization/group that the clockwork men served, but I'm almost certain what we saw today was in some way related to them. 

PS: I'm guessing we're meant to have prior knowledge of the woman who shows up at the end, I have missed a few of Smith's earlier episodes and a few in the middle of his run, so if I'm missing something here I'd love it if someone would be so kind as to point who she actually is out to me, if you can of course and this isn't Moffat trying to construct more stupidly overly convoluted plot-lines that end anti climatically to say the least.

• Tyler likes this

BRITLAND
  • BRITLAND

Thug

• Members

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

It was an ok show, I think people are going to need to get used to Peter as he's quite different to the previous three

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:07 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 23 August 2014 - 11:08 PM.

That was amazing. I loved Capaldi. He's witty, but intelligently fierce at the same time and the beginning was funny as f*ck. Just rambling on like a mental twat. And as soon as he spoke in a Scottish accent, my dreams came true.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users