52 replies to this topic
psymin
  • psymin

mayor of paleto bay.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • Canada
  • Crew Poster Battle Winner 2016

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:16 AM

I played the closed beta and enjoyed myself immensely. now it's in open beta my friends get to taste my blade!

while it's Ubisoft and I have little respect for the way they package and market their games now, the mechanics are solid and satisfying, graphics are great, and NOTHING in the fighting game genre has done justice to swordplay the way they have done it in my experience.

balance isn't much of a concern imo, this is war.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:21 PM Edited by Fireman, 11 February 2017 - 03:02 PM.

I enjoyed it too (though I wouldn't say it's very innovative, lots of games had 4-way block mechanics (I don't think having 3 instead of 4 counts as innovative), but I'm just not gonna give money to Ubisoft again for an unfinished game with no content and I think you shouldn't either.

There are three maps, if you count the Deathmatch ones as seperate maps (which they aren't really as they use the exact same assets/environments) there's 6. That's still €10 a map. There are two games modes; Kill everyone and kill everyone after you stood near a capture point for a while. 

This is not enough. Oh and the game is practically unplayable online, since the closed beta and now in the open beta nothing has changed.

psymin
  • psymin

mayor of paleto bay.

• Canada

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:56 PM Edited by psymin, 11 February 2017 - 03:56 PM.

@ fireman - you see, for me gaming is about experience. im an old school fighting game fan, played in small tekken 1 tournaments, spent hundreds of hours with street fighter games on Sega genesis, playstation, ps2, dreamcast, etc. variety of battle stages and maps doesn't concern me.

I'm also a martial artist and have used traditional Japanese weapons quite extensively.

for honor isn't perfect but I like to fight... and this game scratches that itch like nothing else in recent memory.

the amount of enjoyment I get out of simple 1v1 duels is enough for me to want to purchase it.
  • Audi likes this

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:28 PM Edited by Fireman, 11 February 2017 - 04:45 PM.

Like I said i enjoy the game and the combat too, though it comes with some of those targetting problems when you're not doing 1v1, but my problem is that it's €60, for extremely little content.

Within a week you'll have done all of the maps more than a hundred times (in fact you could probably hit that number in this open beta weekend), I don't think I can keep getting enjoyment out of it by then. Also did you check the move sets? They're not really expansive, so fights do not become more interesting than they are now, unless they patch in changes. I know I can't force you not to buy it, but at the very least I can recommend you to wait for a sale, which probably wouldn't take long anyway.

I've really enjoyed Nobushi and Orochi gameplay. Lots of countering and long-range attacks from Nobushi are a dick to deal with.

• psymin likes this

psymin
  • psymin

mayor of paleto bay.

• Canada

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:26 PM Edited by psymin, 11 February 2017 - 06:30 PM.

I do hear everything you are saying, and I agree with most all of it, especially how fighting more than one hero feels kinda broken.
the lack of moves? meh. ive been playing soley as an Orochi in the closed and now open beta, and I don't really mind. there are only so many ways to wield weapons efficient enough to be used in combat realistically, and my focus is all the strategy of the battle. I would rather land a satisfying single blow perfectly than have a large list of combos to use.

that's what I like about it... so many games now are all about "twitch" victories, whereas I feel For Honor has got the technical weapon combat pretty f*cking tight.

also the last game I paid full price for was GTAV in 2015, so it's unlikely I'll pay full price for For Honor on Valentine's day.

#dadlife
  • Fireman likes this

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

Haha, fair enough. I thought you were getting it right away! I think the combat is pretty nice right now, though I still don't quite understand how to counter Guard Breaks, apart from dodging it and hitting them while they do it, you got any idea? The game says to press middle mouse button, but yeah, doesn't seem to work.

I played Orochi on the closed beta and enjoyed it a lot, but I see a lot of Orochi's using that sideslash ability, I never used it, seems a bit easy to avoid getting hit by it. Orochi is cool though but runs out of stamina so fast! On the open beta I've only been playing Nobushi, which has attacks that always seem to come from the top, so if you're not using the guard icon as a guide you pretty much lose. The bleed effect they leave behind and the ability to Revenge after 2/3 hits is also quite overpowered. I geared for Revenge Attack and Revenge generation and I use the talent that generates Revenge from attacks. So if I block 2 attacks and attack once myself, Revenge is ready, it's pretty sweet.

psymin
  • psymin

mayor of paleto bay.

• Canada

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:47 PM Edited by psymin, 12 February 2017 - 03:05 AM.

make no mistake - I WANT it right meow.
IF i had the means to I would have preordered after the closed beta I enjoy it so much!

the nobushi looks cool - I spent all my steel on upgrading and unlocking my orochi and unlocking the nobushi but haven't been able to tear myself away from trying to perfect the parry and dashing techniques of the orochi to try any other hero yet.

I don't want to fear the flail knight anymore. lol

your gear setup sounds rad... and slightly OP lol. I've focused on my stamina and speed for obvious reasons.

as for the guard break, I'm playing on PS4 so I have no idea. lol I know you use the 'guard break' button... on that note I hate the guys who charge and guard break to start the round. cheeeesy

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

The guide says you have to press Guard Break to break guard break, but it doesn't seem to function very well.

So far I'm doing too well in this game, don't know if I'm just good at it or if I'm lucky, but I got a KD of 5.5 and 96% win rate.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:23 PM

So the release was even worse than what we could've expected from the beta, no dedicated servers, so basically no multiplayer, mictrotransactions and passes to unlock character progression.

Glad I didn't buy it.

psymin
  • psymin

mayor of paleto bay.

• Canada

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:26 PM

and here I am sad I haven't got it yet!

a bit disappointed no couch-co-op.

the network thing doesn't surprise nor phase me too much, I found this article interesting.

http://www.techradar...arn-how-to-play

also lol didn't you expect microtransactions? this is UBleedSoft. at least it's only currency and not a huge f2p paywall.

it's still the best new fighting game on consoles imo, and I can't wait to meet my friends on the killing fields soon!

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:34 AM

I expected microstransactions, but mainly for cosmetics (probably why they put in all the Change Look options and the fact that you could even customise gear).

Wasn't expecting it to be used to unlock abilities, which I still don't know if it does or not cause I didn't buy it :p

I'm waiting for it to be at most €20, so that could take a while. I heard about the network thing but didn't find it terrible on the beta's, except that you could never finish a Player on Player 4v4 match.

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

had some time playing this game, how do I perform special moves in for honor?
commands say press L3 and R1 or L3 and R2 at the same time, but nothing special comes out?
The only poke that comes out is the same when I only press R1 or R2 on the PS4 pad.

Im confused.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:12 PM Edited by Fireman, 16 February 2017 - 02:19 PM.

Special moves?

There's an AoE attack for each hero which is just Fast + Strong Attack at the same time, any other "special moves" are listed in your moveset, it should also show you examples of how the special move SHOULD look like.

Also for people looking to buy this cheaper, apparantely it comes for free with new laptops/graphic cards, so if you look around you might get one a lot cheaper.

psymin
  • psymin

mayor of paleto bay.

• Canada

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:44 PM

welp someone awesome in my crew got me the game for PS4 (thanks again Paradox!!)

spent my only hour playing doing the tut for the 3rd time (lol) and I'm am so impressed with this game.

the microtransactions are like 90% cosmetic, and the new maps/fighters will be free iirc.

I've given up on hating microtransactions:( i just want to enjoy a game, and honestly it's a stellar fighting experience in my opinion. :) I'm not bothered they are trying to sell an outfit pack for like half the price of the game... look at GTA Online and the yacht...... lololol.

I'm on PS4 so if anyone wants a sparring partner occasionally, I'm down.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:05 AM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 17 February 2017 - 11:30 AM.

Picked this up a couple of days ago, having a lot of fun with it. The PVP is great, loving the 4PVP matches. Had some really tense duels in the 1PVP as well. Not sure how long this will be fun for, but for now it's proving to be a solid game. 

If you're familiar with the old classic Bushido Blade, you can get an idea of the tension and panic that sets in when you're fighting. 

• psymin and Tech-Noir like this

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:01 PM Edited by Fireman, 18 February 2017 - 10:31 PM.

I just picked this up for €25, which is still slightly more than I wanted to pay for it, but I think I wouldn't have it until 2 years later if I had to wait for a Ubisoft sale and it is still more than 50% off, so I'm okay with this.

Just check your local gaming forums, it comes for free with motherboards, graphic cards, laptops, should be enough people wanting to get rid of it for a more reasonably price.

Also git gud;

stats.jpg

My KD is 47.3 and my winrate is infinite.

psymin
  • psymin

mayor of paleto bay.

• Canada

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:09 PM

well 2 weeks in and I'm loving it still.
here's some of my duels in the past couple of days.

I've prestiged my Orochi and now my Kensei, Shugoki is next!

I haven't had this much fun with friends and a fighting game since SF: Alpha III on Dreamcast.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

I'm on Rep 3 now, finally getting purple item gear, but ti all still looks ugly.

Nobushi has the most bland armor models there are.

• psymin likes this

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

You Sir, Do Not Praise The Sun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:23 PM Edited by esmittystud101, 05 March 2017 - 06:26 PM.

Is the host migration any better now since beta and launch?

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Administrator
  • Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2016
    Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

Merged the 2015 and 2016 topics.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

Is the host migration any better now since beta and launch?

I don't know, it seems to be okay, but i mainly play Player vs. AI, because I hate how everyone turned into a cheesy player within a week of release.

Still get lots of errors and disconnects even then though, so I doubt it improved much since beta.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

Is anyone still playing this? It seemed to come and go in a flash. 

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

I play now and then but can't bring myself to farm experience, especially not in player matches, cheesy players ruined it for me.

I'm playing Mount and Blade instead, which is basically the same but with 200000000 times more content.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users