Photo

Horizon Zero Dawn

155 replies to this topic
Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:54 AM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 02 March 2017 - 11:54 AM.

AS far as I can tell from this (I won't actually play until tonight) you get single piece outfits and it looks like there's quite a few:

yo, does this game have good customisation, like different outfits/skins.. etc?

• Thugazi likes this

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

got this game just 2 mins ago, now installing <3

bigraj
  • bigraj

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

Played for a couple of hours last night to get used to the controls.  Made some fire arrows and completed a couple of side missions.  Seems pretty fun so far, and the story seems promising.  Definitely looks great.

• Fireman and EVOLUT7ON like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

I downloaded it and played until 3 in the morning. Now I know not to start new games so late at night.

• Tchuck and Fireman like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

Started last night, played maybe two hours, just wandering around the first area. I haven't even done the proving yet. 

This game is beautiful, and it feels remarkably polished and complete, a rare feeling for new releases. I've yet to see much, but what I have seen has been very impressive and felt utterly solid. Fingers crossed I'll feel the same after a marathon weekend session. 

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

4 hours in and <3 this game, it's so dem good!

• Fuzzknuckles and EVOLUT7ON like this

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

Holy sh*t, this game is amazing, I was absolutely sceptical about the Bow and Arrow being the only choice of weapon but that is no longer a problem
  • Fuzzknuckles likes this

Arlarse
  • Arlarse

Cultivating Mass

• Members
  • England

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

Not even got to Aloys trial yet and I find it incredibly immersive. At first I was 'oh sh*t how do I deal with even this low level watchers and striders with no lock enemy lock ala Witcher 3' but it forces you to get good and makes even a low level fight something that requires skill and planning. The graphics are absolutely stunning as well. 

Early feelings are it is - for now - in maybe the top 3 PS4 games, although this year has got some real heavyweight titles coming out so that may change. It's kind unlucky that it's had a bit of sheen taken from it from Zelda being one of the highest rated games ever.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

The great thing is, though, that they're both platform exclusives (or at least, Sony and Nintendo exclusives) so they don't actually really have to compete against each other. 

I'd like to think that H:ZD is an exciting enough new IP to sidestep any kind of "fight" for an audience, whereas Zelda... well, it's not really anything new, is it?

• Turan likes this

Turan
  • Turan

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

Played for 13 hours now and I'm loving it. The combat is amazing and definitely the best thing about this game. Add to that the phenomenal graphics and an interesting story (+ side quests are better than I thought) and you have yourself a fantastic game. Not to mention the stable framerate. I don't know how they did it but this has got to be the smoothest 30 FPS game I've ever played. There are some flaws here and there but they are only minor flaws.

It really makes me scratch my head even more now, that 5/10 review from US Gamer I mean. What was that person smoking?

Arlarse
  • Arlarse

Cultivating Mass

• Members
  • England

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:01 PM

Played for 13 hours now and I'm loving it. The combat is amazing and definitely the best thing about this game. Add to that the phenomenal graphics and an interesting story (+ side quests are better than I thought) and you have yourself a fantastic game. Not to mention the stable framerate. I don't know how they did it but this has got to be the smoothest 30 FPS game I've ever played. There are some flaws here and there but they are only minor flaws.

It really makes me scratch my head even more now, that 5/10 review from US Gamer I mean. What was that person smoking?

I'm not always such a cynical f*cker but part of me wonders if there was some MS influence to give a negative review for Sony's much hyped AAA title. I mean I get not liking a title, that's totally fine, but giving it 5/10 suggests it's a big budget mess and it is absolutely 100% not one of those. 

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

The USgamer review was just cklickbait BS imo. After 20+ hours playtime i guess it's save to say that Horizon is my new favourite PS4 title. An amazing game through and through!

*DERGaming
  • *DERGaming

“Respect has to be earned just like money.”

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:01 AM

I do not have this game but I will probably get it this weekend on a scale of E to S++ what do you rate it?

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:31 AM

Amazing game, really well done. The bow mechanic is simply perfect, love stalking around analyzing the combat before engaging. Spent around 5 hours just exploring the starting area, without bothering with the main quest for now. Really good stuff. Looking forward to how it opens up afterwards!

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:37 AM

Did my 1st Couldron and felt like a badass after completing it, the Ropecaster is a god send
  • Stormingz likes this

Jon Jon
  • Jon Jon

Jonny Boy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:49 AM

I've been seeing trailers for this game on TV lately. This game looks so god damn beautiful. It reminds me a lot like the Monster Hunter games. When I saw that first trailer I was like, "This looks a lot like the most recent Killzone" and sure enough I learned it is from the same studio, Guerilla Games. I'm really digging the direction GG is going and I'm also adding this game to my list of must have games.

Should this game be one of my first 5 games to buy when I buy a PS4? Is it just that good?

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:16 AM Edited by reform, 04 March 2017 - 10:17 AM.

I've been seeing trailers for this game on TV lately. This game looks so god damn beautiful. It reminds me a lot like the Monster Hunter games. When I saw that first trailer I was like, "This looks a lot like the most recent Killzone" and sure enough I learned it is from the same studio, Guerilla Games. I'm really digging the direction GG is going and I'm also adding this game to my list of must have games.

Should this game be one of my first 5 games to buy when I buy a PS4? Is it just that good?

About 20ish hours in. Loving it.

Already amongst my top 5 PS4 games.

• Jon Jon likes this

Jon Jon
  • Jon Jon

Jonny Boy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

^ Odd. I was never notified for you quoting me.

I'll definitely add this game to my top 5 games to buy.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

15 hours-ish in. Janky story, solid game. LOTS of fun and an ever-growing list of side quests and collectables that I'm genuinely interested to go after. Great game so far. 

• Tchuck and EVOLUT7ON like this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:31 AM

11-hours in and I'm destroying Sawtooths. They still require caution, but now that I'm more aware of how to absolutely crush them, it becomes a game of patience.

f*ck Blowbacks, though. They can rot in hell with their fire and brimstone! 

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:31 PM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 06 March 2017 - 05:33 PM.

Now at the 20 hour mark and a couple of minor quibbles:

Fast Travel packs. I shouldn't have to pay for these, and it shouldn't be a thing you can only do when you have these in your inventory. That's pretty dumb. They're cheap and you can find them as loot, but this was a really dumb idea. Either have fast travel or don't, don't make me pay for the privilege. 

Weird Physics/Animations/Idunno: On a particalar mission, but also possibly elsewhere, I was hit with a large flying rock. When it hit me, I was thrown in the direction that the rock had come from. Lame. I don't mind knockback/knockdown, that's fine, but at least throw me in a realistic direction. 

Customisation: I probably should have guessesd this from the video I posted, but it's pretty lacking in the customisation department. There's a few outfits per-tribe and I'm assuming some unlockables on the map, but I would much rather have the ability to buy separate pieces. This is how I feel in most games, though - if you're going to have customisation, do it right and allow me to customise every part of my armour. I could make much more interesting outfits and have a better distribution of buffs. 

Besides that, I'm still loving the game very much. The story is a little flimsy so far and there's a lot of earnest teeth-gritting and oddly delivered lines, but the game itself still feels great. I decided to run as far across the map as I could last night and found a few new interesting animechs to hunt, but still plenty more to discover. The landscape around Meridian is so nice to be in. 

Turan
  • Turan

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:52 PM Edited by Turan, 06 March 2017 - 06:53 PM.

Now at the 20 hour mark and a couple of minor quibbles:

Fast Travel packs. I shouldn't have to pay for these, and it shouldn't be a thing you can only do when you have these in your inventory. That's pretty dumb. They're cheap and you can find them as loot, but this was a really dumb idea. Either have fast travel or don't, don't make me pay for the privilege. 

Weird Physics/Animations/Idunno: On a particalar mission, but also possibly elsewhere, I was hit with a large flying rock. When it hit me, I was thrown in the direction that the rock had come from. Lame. I don't mind knockback/knockdown, that's fine, but at least throw me in a realistic direction. 

Customisation: I probably should have guessesd this from the video I posted, but it's pretty lacking in the customisation department. There's a few outfits per-tribe and I'm assuming some unlockables on the map, but I would much rather have the ability to buy separate pieces. This is how I feel in most games, though - if you're going to have customisation, do it right and allow me to customise every part of my armour. I could make much more interesting outfits and have a better distribution of buffs. 

Besides that, I'm still loving the game very much. The story is a little flimsy so far and there's a lot of earnest teeth-gritting and oddly delivered lines, but the game itself still feels great. I decided to run as far across the map as I could last night and found a few new interesting animechs to hunt, but still plenty more to discover. The landscape around Meridian is so nice to be in. 

Buy the golden fast travel pack. It has unlimited use, most vendors have them.

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

This game is like electronic crack. I go to play for about an hour and then before it's three hours.

• JonnyVercetti likes this

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:12 PM

So I fought a Thunderjaw and a Rockbreaker yesterday, not at the same time that would be silly, and I must say my biggest fears about this game came true, But I prevailed

JonnyVercetti
  • JonnyVercetti

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:43 PM

Just under 10 hours in. Completed a bit of
main quest, trying to do every side quest, errand and all the rest as i come across them first. Just entered Carja territory.

Great game, i'm hooked. I'm glad there are such a variety of enemies which require different approaches, instead of just plowing down everything with one attack.

I went into one of those cauldrons? i think that's what they are called. Best boss battle i've had in f*cking years, really had me tense and concentrated. The feeling of your enemy almost defeated but you have run out of potions and berries and they are jumping at you and throwing fire in your face is quite intense.

Looks beautiful too, would recommend putting your HUD in dynamic mode, really makes a difference because the screen is quite full up. Maybe dynamic is standard, mine wasn't, but it should be!
  • Jon Jon likes this

Mattodon
  • Mattodon

The Damascan Tusk

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:17 AM Edited by Majesty Dreamworth, 07 March 2017 - 12:37 AM.

I don't get it. Wouldn't you want to support a new IP with 60$ so its not considered a failure and tanks?

No. That's not on me or any other player(s) to keep it afloat, and I couldn't care less if an amazing game tanked at market. If a game tanks, it's not for any reason other than that the community didn't think it was worth its price point.

Actually, it's exactly up to players supporting new IPs that keeps them from disappearing completely. 

No one is saying you have to play this game, but you clearly have very little understanding of how a game's audience determines the success of a game. If everyone waited till this was on a sale price, it would tank. If people buy early and gamble on whether the game is appealing to them or not, it makes more money from the outset. 

Let me explain that in more simple terms:

More people buy it at release price, it makes more money, it is more of a "success" (financially speaking)

More people buy it at a reduced price, it makes less money, it is less of a success. 

SO, it's entirely up to players choosing to buy a game that determines whether it's successful or not. This is a frankly ludicrously basic concept to have to explain. 

If the community decide en masse to not purchase a game for the sort of nonsense reasons you've given so far, then gaming as a whole is utterly f*cking doomed. But then, perhaps I'm "old school" or something. When I was first getting into games, more than likely before you were born, it was completely possible for games to not be reviewed until weeks after they were released, because we had to get our reviews from magazines. I know, how quaint, right?

Take a risk or not, that's up to you. It's really not going to matter a damn to anyone here. 

I think you're conflating a couple of things. I will begin by agreeing with you on your major point, as per your simple terms. You're absolutely right that a game's success, as with any product's success, is entirely dependent on whether or not the consumer base buys it in large enough quantities. I would've said as much prior to this discussion. However, while in that technical sense, a product's success relies on its market's response, there is no personal responsibility on the market—it's not up to players—to keep that product flowing off the shelf, no matter how good it is. It's up to the manufacturer to keep its products flowing off the shelves by offering a good product at an agreeable price.

I also agree with you that if everyone waited for a game (or the game) to drop in price, it would ultimately be considered a tank. I was implicitly acknowledging that when I originally said, "I couldn't care less if an amazing game tanked at market". To expand on this, let's put up a hypothetical situation: The gaming community stops buying games at the $60 price tag. Admittedly, yes, the first thing that happens is that the games industry takes a dip. But where we disagree is in whether or not gaming as a whole is doomed in this situation.

Gaming wouldn't be doomed for two reasons. Imagine that like me, everyone wanted their games for $40 instead of $60. A game would launch at $60 and not sell. But then, as soon as the game hit $40, boom! It would fly off the shelves. Now, everyone would make 66 cents on the dollar they originally projected they'd get, but they'd still a least be making that 66 cents back. Then, everyone opposite the consumer, from retailer to developer, would immediately recognize this trend and kick into overdrive to respond to the market demand. Games don't go anywhere. They weather the storm. In end, sacrifices would be made, but generally, those who are able to adapt quickly enough would stay in the market.

Now, as to this personal risk situation, I don't think it's entirely the gamble or risk you make it out to be, as it would be in other markets. In most other markets, there's an element of give-and-take whereby sales numbers will determine the average price of a particular kind of thing. And how that thing is priced is negotiated for with the customers' wallets.

As a side note, this is why there's so much money in marketing. A company would rather spend $X learning how to convince people to like their product than risk potentially losing $(X + 1) off the top of their profits if the market collectively decides that the product, while worth having, isn't worth its price tag. People can actually be quite vacillate and demanding, and without clever marketing strategies, mass production of any one thing would be an absolute crap shoot. Modern industrialism, prior to the marketing revolution, almost failed at one point in our history because people aren't apt to go out and buy things that aren't shoved in their face with a clever tagline. But I digress.

So the problem with the games market specifically, which screws up the risk factor, but is possibly also a godsend, is that the games' producers and distributors/retailers have negotiated amongst themselves that a reasonable cost for any new full-length game is $60. The gaming community, that is to say the customers, have never once collectively had a say in this or made an attempt to threaten this fixed-price strategy on a large scale. We've never stepped in and decided that $60 isn't worth it for a new game, which I admit is largely because most games players do find it agreeable. That's fine. I respect that all three retailer, developer, and consumer are content with this arrangement.

I'm personally not content paying $60 for any game. Hence, while I'm not out picketing against the vast majority who are fine with that price tag, I do wait for games to drop in price. Having said that, I think this is the perfect opportunity to bring this around to reiterating the core of my original statement: It's not on me as an individual, or any other individual or group, to support any game at launch. The game's success depends on us, but we do not in kind, bear any responsibility to make that game successful. And as a general rule, I trust two things: enough people will agree with that price to keep a game on the sales charts. Or if they don't, the developers will live, learn, adapt, and drop their price point to survive. In either case, I win.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:54 AM

That's not how it works, though.

It's up to the manufacturer to keep its products flowing off the shelves by offering a good product at an agreeable price. I ask earnestly: have I made that difference clear?

Price is by far not the only factor in keeping products flowing off the shelves. It's all marketing. And even then, the developer's job is to make an awesome product, the publisher/store's job is to sell that product as best as it can. 

Your whole analysis and discontentment is pretty moot though, given that gaming has never been cheaper than they have right now. Compare the prices from the previous generation to today, and we're still paying less for games every year. It's just that sales have made people greedy. 

It's one thing to wait for a slight discount, say 10 or 20% off. It's one thing to wait for the thing to go to the discount bin where the developer won't see any money out of it. If everyone did as you say, a lot of developers would simply go under, and it would resort to cheaper-made games, with staff being let go or having their salaries lowered, resulting in a race to the bottom like you see on mobile platforms. 

Gaming wouldn't be doomed for two reasons.

Gaming wouldn't be doomed, of course. Its quality would likely take a dip, though. Developers are barely making enough money as it is, and need publishing partnerships to stay afloat. If a game does not sell as much as expected on first week, the chances of a publisher simply closing down a developer are massive. By "waiting for a sale" you do ensure you get the best bang for your buck, but you also demonstrate no support for a fantastic game and the work of talented people.

Now, as to this personal situation, it's not entirely the gamble or risk you make it out to be, as in other markets.

It is the risk we make it out to be. Anyone who is in the games industry will tell you so. You price it wrong, you time it wrong, you don't sell enough, and your studio will go under. There's thousands new games on the market every month. 

As a side note, this is why there's so much money in marketing. A company would rather spend $X learning how to convince people to like their product than risk potentially losing $(X + 1) in profits when they discover that the market has collectively decided the product, while worth having, isn't worth its price tag. People can actually be quite vacillate and demanding, and without clever marketing strategies, mass production of any one thing would be an absolute crap shoot. But I digress.

It's not a "let's spend less on marketing and give a price cut to the players!" situation. Marketing is absolutely essential to make people know you even exist. In today's game industry, making a fantastic game simply isn't enough. For every great indie game out there on zero marketing that you've heard about, there's hundreds, thousands other great indie games out there on zero marketing that you didn't hear about, whose developer has gone under because despite pricing it very low, people just didn't even know it existed.

So the problem with the games market specifically, which screws up the risk factor, but is possibly also a godsend, is that the games' producers and distributors/retailers have negotiated amongst themselves that a reasonable cost for any new full-length game is $60.

It has been largely the publishers that decided the cost of things, and bully retailers to keep that price as much as they can or face reprimands. But all of that is, again, moot, as prices in game software while "appearing" to increase have largely remained cheaper than they were. By and large the attempts to keep the price "high" is reasonable because it costs a f*ckload of money to develop those kinds of games. If they were to bring down the price, not only would games have to be rushed, developers would have to be underpaid, games quality would suffer. Look at the app stores: it's a race to the bottom, players don't value games at all, and use them as disposable things that if they don't grab their attention for the first 2 minutes, will be relegated to the garbage bin, devaluing the industry as a whole. 

And take the movie industry. Most movies don't cost tens/hundreds of millions to produce, and costs have been going down. Yet ticket prices have risen every year. Games development costs has been increasing year after year, with every new technological breakthrough and demand from players. Yet game prices have lowered every year.

Having said that, I think this is the perfect opportunity to bring this around to the core of my original statement: It's not on me as an individual to support any game at launch. And as a general rule, I trust two things: enough people will agree with that price to keep the on the sales charts. Or if they don't, the developers live, learn, adapt, and drop their price point to survive. In either case, I win.

Right, and your statement is wrong. It is on you as an individual to support the games/developers you care about. If you don't, and more people follow your way, you will lose them. I'm not saying "support them no matter the cost!". I'm saying if they release a great game, and you know it's a fantastic one and well worth the price, then pay full price for it if you can. It will send a message to the publishers that these kinds of games are awesome, worth paying for, that the developer did a good job, that the market for this genre is good, leading to more games in the same style being made, the developer continuing doing business, talented people being rewarded for their effort.

If you simply wait for sales, you may think "aha! Now the publishers will know to drop the price point by default and I win!", but you are dead wrong. History shows us that if the game doesn't sell well at full price, publishers will simply cut the developer, kill the series, and fire a bunch of people. Not only that, it will burn the publishers in that particular genre, leading to less games being made for it.

Like Open World RPG games? Then support fantastic games, vote with your wallet. If you don't and wait for a sale, you cannot complain that there's not enough quality going around because, when quality hit you in the face, you thought it was too expensive. By all means, wait for sales. It's your right. But do understand the consequences.

Mattodon
  • Mattodon

The Damascan Tusk

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:00 AM

I don't mean this as an insult, but I've never encountered as thorough a point-by-point misunderstanding of everything I said as yours.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

I don't mean this as an insult, but I've never encountered as thorough a point-by-point misunderstanding of everything I said as yours.

Unfortunately, your points are so boring and self absorbed that no one actually cares. So reading through them to the end is laborious and tedious. 

So I fought a Thunderjaw and a Rockbreaker yesterday

I ran straight into the middle of the quarry near Meridian whilst still at level 14.

Suffice to say, two hours later, I emerged from the quarry feeling pretty awesome as I'd taken down the Rockbreaker in there 10 levels earlier than I should have. 

I swear, the checkpoint marker / quest nav marker in this game is one of the worst I've ever encountered. It literally sent me around in a circle once last night, so I set it to normal nav mode and... everything is much better now. 

I'm personally not content paying $60 for any game. 

No one is, but that's the price of games now, so suck it up and deal with it. 

• Tchuck and Mattodon like this

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

I came across a corrupted zone filled with Rockbreakers, thank god a convoy of Behemoths we're walking by, made it easier to get them

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users