Horizon Zero Dawn

124 replies to this topic
Arlarse
  • Arlarse

Cultivating Mass

• Members
  • England

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:34 PM

It can get all the good reviews in the world. I still see nothing original or fun about this.

Interesting. What's not original about a post-apocalyptic world with mechanical wildlife? I can't think of another game that's done this. It definitely borrows an awful lot from other games in many ways but the base concept is pretty new in many ways. 

But boy oh boy does it feel like a dumb concept. 

Bar making an RPG out of a parasite living in someone's body I'm not sure what a developer could do at this point without some sort of title crossover. 

The actual plot - like you said - is without doubt original, and that's surely the crux of the originality argument. That it borrows from previous titles (which why wouldn't they when they've got ex Skyrim & Witcher Devs on board) is surely secondary to the core idea.

As far as I'm concerned originality isn't equal to fun

Majesty Dreamworth
  • Majesty Dreamworth

Grand Marquess of Slumberdom

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:11 PM Edited by Majesty Dreamworth, 20 February 2017 - 10:12 PM.

You're absolutely correct. Originality can be as far away from fun as stepping on a pile of LEGO blocks. The problem, however, is that this is also true in the opposite direction. Borrowing from previously successful formulas isn't always going to guarantee fun either. If I take an F-16 propulsion system, attach it to a devil's food cake, and spray it with Bleu de Chanel, sure, I have a great smelling, awesome tasting piece of cake that can reach mach 2, but those things combined are awful. I don't smell nice, I can't eat the cake, and I can't fly.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:42 AM

You're absolutely correct. Originality can be as far away from fun as stepping on a pile of LEGO blocks. The problem, however, is that this is also true in the opposite direction. Borrowing from previously successful formulas isn't always going to guarantee fun either. If I take an F-16 propulsion system, attach it to a devil's food cake, and spray it with Bleu de Chanel, sure, I have a great smelling, awesome tasting piece of cake that can reach mach 2, but those things combined are awful. I don't smell nice, I can't eat the cake, and I can't fly.

That's a pretty sh*t analogy, though. 

How do you know it's not fun if you haven't tried? From the impressions the reviews give off, the action is very good, the systems work very well, the battles are very interesting.

But hey, you're entitled to your opinion I suppose.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:51 AM

It can get all the good reviews in the world. I still see nothing original or fun about this.

Interesting. What's not original about a post-apocalyptic world with mechanical wildlife? I can't think of another game that's done this. It definitely borrows an awful lot from other games in many ways but the base concept is pretty new in many ways. 

That's just it. It's an amalgamation of pre-existing tropes, but everything about it seems to fall short of the sum of its parts. And conceptually, I can handle a game that reuses old tropes, if the actual gameplay is something new and fresh, or improves on existing mechanics that I enjoy.

Frankly, as someone who's played rangers in numerous RPGs, there's nothing that makes bow-and-arrowing in this game look better or as good as some of my previous experiences. Long-necks are just roving Assassin's Creed towers. Felling big baddies with colored weakness areas was done better numerous times by both the Lost Planet and Witcher series. And cave puzzles have been done to death by Tomb RaiderUnchartedAssassin's Creed.

Ironically, that little review (of a game you haven't played yet) sounded like an amalgamation of all the pre-release reviews I've read. 

The circle of life. 

• Tchuck and Majesty Dreamworth like this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

That's just it. It's an amalgamation of pre-existing tropes, but everything about it seems to fall short of the sum of its parts. And conceptually, I can handle a game that reuses old tropes, if the actual gameplay is something new and fresh, or improves on existing mechanics that I enjoy.

Frankly, as someone who's played rangers in numerous RPGs, there's nothing that makes bow-and-arrowing in this game look better or as good as some of my previous experiences. Long-necks are just roving Assassin's Creed towers. Felling big baddies with colored weakness areas was done better numerous times by both the Lost Planet and Witcher series. And cave puzzles have been done to death by Tomb RaiderUnchartedAssassin's Creed.

Ironically, that little review (of a game you haven't played yet) sounded like an amalgamation of all the pre-release reviews I've read. 

The circle of life. 

I mean sh*t, walking has been done to death by numerous games. Shooting has been done to death by numerous games. Having a playable character has been done to death by numerous games. The open world is just GTA/Just Cause/Far Cry/Oblivion/Skyrim/Morrowing/Fallout open world. Animation is just all games. Having a menu has been done to death. Frankly, as someone who's played characters in numerous RPGs, there's nothing in that makes characters in this game look better or as good as some of my previous experiences.

Or, as we call it, the stupidest comparison ever.

• Fuzzknuckles and mr quick like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

Let's be clear.

Games have been around for over 40 years. We have seen all the ideas we're likely to see already. Just like in movies. 

You'll notice how people still make movies. Remake movies. Reboot movies. There's still movies, even though they've pretty much covered everything. Same with games. 

But, like with any form of media, different people's approaches to the same things can wield entirely unique results. 

I also tend to take the ranger option in games and I'm, more than anything, excited about this game because it's another game where I get to fire a bow. And it looks like they've spent plenty of time working on getting that bow right. Only time will tell, though, eh? Because watching a trailer tells you somewhere between nothing and f*ck all about a game, really. 

• Tchuck and Fallcreek like this

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

You Sir, Do Not Praise The Sun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:22 PM

I'm digging the bow as well. But also coming from a guy that usually only plays FFXV to fish at the diffrent ponds.
  • Tchuck likes this

Turan
  • Turan

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:41 PM

I'm really glad this reviewed well. Had some minor concerns before, but those are all gone now. Looks like Sony can add one more big franchise to its list. 

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

My biggest concern is the Bow and Arrow, I hope there is guns in the game because only using Bow and Arrow got old quick in Far Cry Primal and it'll probably get old quick here

Majesty Dreamworth
  • Majesty Dreamworth

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:38 PM

The circle of life. 

Which pre-release reviews have you been reading? Praise is being heaped on this game. It only has four reviews below 80.

Majesty Dreamworth
  • Majesty Dreamworth

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:52 PM Edited by Majesty Dreamworth, 21 February 2017 - 10:57 PM.

The circle of life. 

I mean sh*t, walking has been done to death by numerous games. Shooting has been done to death by numerous games. Having a playable character has been done to death by numerous games. The open world is just GTA/Just Cause/Far Cry/Oblivion/Skyrim/Morrowing/Fallout open world. Animation is just all games. Having a menu has been done to death. Frankly, as someone who's played characters in numerous RPGs, there's nothing in that makes characters in this game look better or as good as some of my previous experiences.

Or, as we call it, the stupidest comparison ever.

You really don't have to be nasty about it. I was being completely conversational.

There's a fundamental difference in the false comparison you're creating here. Those are much more broad categories. Of course there has to be fundamental aspects that repeat. Open world is a fundamental design choice. By itself, it will always be a worthwhile approach to games.

The high level of sarcasm you employ by mentioning "animation", "menus", and "RPGs" tries to hammer in the notion that my point of view utterly ridiculous. But I think your completely missing the difference. I'm saying that maybe it's time to change the hairstyle and jewelry around because we've seen hoop earrings and pixie cuts done better. And you're reducing my point of view to a call to eliminate jewelry, hair, and the person altogether.

I'm not saying the things I listed are bad in themselves. That should be clear. I'm saying they've been done better, and now that I've experienced better, I want to keep having better. Just because I hate McDonald's burgers, that doesn't mean I just hate burgers now.

You don't have to agree with me. But you don't get to say I'm making a "stupid comparison" just because you happen not to agree with me. Especially when you completely misrepresented what I said.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:04 AM

That should be clear. I'm saying they've been done better, and now that I've experienced better, I want to keep having better. Just because I hate McDonald's burgers, that doesn't mean I just hate burgers now.

Um... so when did you play this game and discover that something else is doing what it's doing better?

• Tchuck likes this

Majesty Dreamworth
  • Majesty Dreamworth

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:42 AM

That should be clear. I'm saying they've been done better, and now that I've experienced better, I want to keep having better. Just because I hate McDonald's burgers, that doesn't mean I just hate burgers now.

Um... so when did you play this game and discover that something else is doing what it's doing better?

I've been watching all of the game play videos since it came out. And reading the reviews confirms what I see with my two eyes and hear with my two ears. I don't have to have the controller in my hand to figure out that I don't like something.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:55 AM

I've been watching all of the game play videos since it came out. And reading the reviews confirms what I see with my two eyes and hear with my two ears. I don't have to have the controller in my hand to figure out that I don't like something.

Right. From your point of view, you can only say they've looked better and sounded better. For how it plays, without holding the control on your hands, it's a judgement that is very, very difficult to make. You are right, you don't need to have a controller in your hand to figure out you don't like it: But you do need to have a controller in your hands to affirm that it plays worse than other games, that other games do it better. Unless you carefully studied every gameplay video together with a video of the guy's hands on the controller so you can tell exactly how it should feel.

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

Arlarse
  • Arlarse

Cultivating Mass

• Members
  • England

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:35 AM

Certainly don't think there's anything wrong with using gameplay to judge whether you'll be into a game a not. media/art can be an entirely subjective matter, if you're not into it you're just not into it; It could be one of the best games ever made but there's going to be people who think 'meh not my cup of tea'. 

• Tchuck likes this

KODRB
  • KODRB

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

My biggest concern is the Bow and Arrow, I hope there is guns in the game because only using Bow and Arrow got old quick in Far Cry Primal and it'll probably get old quick here

I think you're gonna be let down in the weaponry department.

So you'll be able to eventually shoot multiple arrows at once and apparently there's some kind of spear launcher (i don't wanna say gun because it seems like it's bow based), it fires multiple spears at once. Not sure if that's what you were hoping for, but we're not going to be getting any kind of laser gun or even traditional guns. While we'll be getting multiple kinds of slingshots and bows, it looks like we're only getting one type spear launcher thing as well as one spear (the hack tool we see Aloy using in a lot of the videos)

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Playa

• Members

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:34 PM

only 4 days left

hype 2 stronk :)

Turan
  • Turan

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:57 PM

32285276714_7e724c1665_o.png

• Tchuck, mr quick and Buckminsterfullerene like this

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

Judging a game without any hands on is stupid. Yes, you might not like the setting/vibe/tone/atmosphere/focus or hell just general game setup. But you cannot judge a game by not having played it.

Ghost Recon wildlands for example. I thought I had a great idea of how the game would be. Alot of it has been confirmed AFTER I had hands on with it. But how it plays was completely different. The gunplay is actually rather smooth and polished, stealth mechanics are OK and AI does agressively hunt you down. But apart from that it's still wonky in AI departement and stealth (after they find a dead enemy they IMMEDIATLY know your position and hunt you down).

Could I judge the game and make a correct judgement without having played it? Yes, some things I already figured. Typical UBI game elements which they generally do really bad (UI, messy objectives/mission structures, repetetiveness). But overall I was amazed how great the co-op value was. Which I hoped for.

Anyways have this title pre ordered aswel. Was rather sceptical at first and there are quite alot of reviews that also confirm my scepticism. Though I didn't have such a high hype for this game. I anticipated it but I moreso figured this for a 'fun in between open world action adventure game'. And it shaped up to be something like that... with great visuals.

So much to play!

• Tchuck and Majesty Dreamworth like this

jollythecat
  • jollythecat

Only in it for the CCC. (Coke, Cars, Crates)

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

I preordered this game the second I saw it on ps store, for the following reasons:

1. Cute red head girl.

2. Open world.

3. Looked like Tomb Raider type of gameplay.

Now when I've seen lots of gameplay videos, and read a lot of reviews I'm sure I made the right decision buying it.

Countdown to download have started, I can't wait.

Majesty Dreamworth
  • Majesty Dreamworth

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:17 PM

After seeing ACG's review, I'll actually try it used, and if I like enough from there, I'll buy once the game drops to $40 (I have a personal thing about spending $60 for new IPs). While I don't retract my previous argument in the abstract, something in this video that I can't yet finger finally sparked a small bit of curiosity in me.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Members
  • Syria

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

After seeing ACG's review, I'll actually try it used, and if I like enough from there, I'll buy once the game drops to $40 (I have a personal thing about spending $60 for new IPs). While I don't retract my previous argument in the abstract, something in this video that I can't yet finger finally sparked a small bit of curiosity in me.

I don't get it. Wouldn't you want to support a new IP with 60$ so its not considered a failure and tanks?

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

I don't get it. Wouldn't you want to support a new IP with 60$ so its not considered a failure and tanks?

yes but for me i rather spend my 60 on ME:A, a lot of games dropping this year with in a short time frame, gotta pick and choose. 

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:30 PM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 28 February 2017 - 04:55 PM.

I'm going to buy all the games and play NONE OF THEM. 

Edit: I just sat through this review and I want to stab the guy just because he has a commercial voice. The whole thing sounded like one of those speed-talking infomercials. 

• Tchuck and FullMetal like this

Majesty Dreamworth
  • Majesty Dreamworth

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:01 AM Edited by Majesty Dreamworth, 01 March 2017 - 12:01 AM.

No. That's not on me or any other player(s) to keep it afloat, and I couldn't care less if an amazing game tanked at market. If a game tanks, it's not for any reason other than that the community didn't think it was worth its price point.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:03 AM

Reading some tips about the game, turns out you can actually "set your own quests" to help you find and keep track of materials for making potions and stuff. Man that is handy! Hated that in F4 I barely had a clue how much of what material I had. This will make things so much nicer!

Apparently the bandit hideouts you clear can also turn into cities at some point, with NPCs taking the place of the bandits, providing you with new markets and whatnots. Patiently waiting for this to come out here in Japan!

EVOLUT7ON
  • EVOLUT7ON

#BeMyValentine & #BIKERS snapmatic contests winner

• The Connection
  • United-States
  • Best Funny [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Runner-Up

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:26 PM Edited by EVOLUT7ON, 01 March 2017 - 05:11 PM.

I fell in love in this game...

C51PI8oWQAAeDJ3.jpg
C50X3ZKXEAA6zN-.jpg

Spoiler

• Tchuck likes this

bigraj
  • bigraj

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

Gonna start playing when I get home from work today.  

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

No. That's not on me or any other player(s) to keep it afloat, and I couldn't care less if an amazing game tanked at market. If a game tanks, it's not for any reason other than that the community didn't think it was worth its price point.

Actually, it's exactly up to players supporting new IPs that keeps them from disappearing completely. 

No one is saying you have to play this game, but you clearly have very little understanding of how a game's audience determines the success of a game. If everyone waited till this was on a sale price, it would tank. If people buy early and gamble on whether the game is appealing to them or not, it makes more money from the outset. 

Let me explain that in more simple terms:

More people buy it at release price, it makes more money, it is more of a "success" (financially speaking)

More people buy it at a reduced price, it makes less money, it is less of a success. 

SO, it's entirely up to players choosing to buy a game that determines whether it's successful or not. This is a frankly ludicrously basic concept to have to explain. 

If the community decide en masse to not purchase a game for the sort of nonsense reasons you've given so far, then gaming as a whole is utterly f*cking doomed. But then, perhaps I'm "old school" or something. When I was first getting into games, more than likely before you were born, it was completely possible for games to not be reviewed until weeks after they were released, because we had to get our reviews from magazines. I know, how quaint, right?

Take a risk or not, that's up to you. It's really not going to matter a damn to anyone here. 

• Tchuck likes this

Arthur Fookin Shelby
  • Arthur Fookin Shelby

Cave Canem

• Daily Globe
  • None

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

yo, does this game have good customisation, like different outfits/skins.. etc?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users