Photo

[TUT] Use OpenIV "mods" folder & keep your original GTA V

153 replies to this topic
sharp_paul
  • sharp_paul

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:38 PM Edited by sharp_paul, 17 October 2015 - 03:39 PM.

i'm tired of googling wrong answer, so I'm just going to try i there. I can't seem to set up OpenIV for V, My GTA installation is on my E: drive, it always says that I need to open openIV with admin rights. Which I'm doing all the time. I'm on windows 10, using compatibility mode for 7, 8, 9, 10 11 and all 69 versions of windows doesn't seem to help. Sorry if the answer is already somewhere in this thread. :( *cries from frustration*

EDIT: I turned off all "read-only" things;

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV Lives

• Members
  • Russia
  • Best Tool 2016 [OpenIV]
    Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]
    Major Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:13 PM

i'm tired of googling wrong answer, so I'm just going to try i there. I can't seem to set up OpenIV for V, My GTA installation is on my E: drive, it always says that I need to open openIV with admin rights. Which I'm doing all the time. I'm on windows 10, using compatibility mode for 7, 8, 9, 10 11 and all 69 versions of windows doesn't seem to help. Sorry if the answer is already somewhere in this thread. :( *cries from frustration*

EDIT: I turned off all "read-only" things;

1 - You never need to use compatibility mode with OpenIV.
2 - Make sure your game is closed when you are trying to run OpenIV.
Where is your game installed exactly? I hope not in the root of drive E: ?
We have OpenIV support topic here. This thread is about using "mods" folder.

ILS_Supernova
  • ILS_Supernova

All! Of! You! Are! Going! To! Die!

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:59 PM

Need help before the lowrider dlc hits! I'm using my mod folder for mods but how do I update the game tomorrow and still use my mods . .Apparently only the update.rpf gets updated but my one has quite a few mods in it . How would I update my game tomorrow but still load my mods with the new update present?

Cheers

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV Lives

• Members
  • Russia
    Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:03 PM

@ILS_Supernova there is not way yet. So, this is mean after your game got update you need to copy new version of update.rpf into "mods" folder and install mods again, otherwise your game will crash at start trying load old version of update.rpf

ILS_Supernova
  • ILS_Supernova

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:35 PM

@ILS_Supernova there is not way yet. So, this is mean after your game got update you need to copy new version of update.rpf into "mods" folder and install mods again, otherwise your game will crash at start trying load old version of update.rpf

:( thats a shame, it's not so much the timecycle mods but rather the vehicle mods in the DLC packs section. . Could I not backup the dlc packs from my modded update folder and just replace them tomorrow or will this still cause crashes?

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV Lives

• Members
  • Russia
    Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:39 PM

@ILS_Supernova only update.rpf archive is changes during update. So, all mods in other archives, like x64*.rpf or dlc.rpf is not affected and you no need to worry about reinstalling them after update.

ILS_Supernova
  • ILS_Supernova

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:52 PM

So vehicles in the dlcpacks folder within the update.rpf will be fine or be changed . .like folders patchday2 etc?

Automan
  • Automan

Grandfather Modder

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:07 AM

There is a problem with the new DLC. The textures livery are in a file .yft, and not in a file .ytd...

How can we see them?... :/

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV Lives

• Members
  • Russia
    Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:46 PM

So vehicles in the dlcpacks folder within the update.rpf will be fine or be changed . .like folders patchday2 etc?

Yes, they fine because only one archive file update.rpf is really changes during update.

There is a problem with the new DLC. The textures livery are in a file .yft, and not in a file .ytd...

And how it is connected with "mods" folder?

Automan
  • Automan

Grandfather Modder

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

Yes, they fine because only one archive file update.rpf is really changes during update.

And how it is connected with "mods" folder?

I settled with '[More information]'->'Textures'. :D
I probably working too conversion GTA-V to SA, I no longer see the buttons! XD

Very thanks! :D

MonarchX
  • MonarchX

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:13 AM

This Guide does not work for me. I followed it precisely, but the game won't load as long as there is a "mods" folder in its root directory... How do I fix this?

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV Lives

• Members
  • Russia
    Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

@MonarchX what is in your "mods" folder?

ccualumni
  • ccualumni

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:15 PM

I am trying to figure out how to get this to work and am confused with step 6.

6 Now you have to copy RPF archives into mods folder. For example, if you want to modify Grand Theft Auto V\update\update.rpf you need to copy it like Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\update.rpf.

I made the mods folder, and copied the common.rpf file into the mods folder. I then went inot the properties of the file and get the following path:

Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\mods... The instructions make it look like the file should be: Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\update.rpf

The file I copied has the following path: C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\update

I moved the 5 items to the new mods folder.

How do I copy it to show Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\update.rpf, instead of Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\mods?

ccualumni
  • ccualumni

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:35 PM

Am I putting the modified files in the new mods folder? I just started the game and none of the mods will load.

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV Lives

• Members
  • Russia
    Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:02 AM Edited by GooD-NTS, 30 November 2015 - 07:03 AM.

I am trying to figure out how to get this to work and am confused with step 6.

6 Now you have to copy RPF archives into mods folder. For example, if you want to modify Grand Theft Auto V\update\update.rpf you need to copy it like Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\update.rpf.

I don't understand what exactly you can't do.

If you need to edit "common.rpf" archive, just copy it into "mods" folder:
Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\common.rpf >>> Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\mods\common.rpf

If you need edit "update.rpf" archive, copy it like this:
Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\update\update.rpf >>> Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\update.rpf

Am I putting the modified files in the new mods folder? I just started the game and none of the mods will load.

Yes, you need edit archives inside "mods" folder.

• ccualumni likes this

ccualumni
  • ccualumni

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:47 AM

Thank you for the clarification. When it said archive files, I did not know what it meant.

When it comes to copying a file, do I right click, hit copy, then paste it into the mods folder? That is basically what I did and it looks like it worked.

Thanks again.

ccualumni
  • ccualumni

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:56 AM

One more dumb question:

To copy the below into the mods folder, would I create a folder inside of the mods folder titled, "x64", then a folder in it named "audio", then a folder in that named "sfx", then put the script.rpf inside of the "sfx" folder?

GTAV\x64\audio\sfx\SCRIPT.rpf

Thanks

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:46 AM

One more dumb question:

To copy the below into the mods folder, would I create a folder inside of the mods folder titled, "x64", then a folder in it named "audio", then a folder in that named "sfx", then put the script.rpf inside of the "sfx" folder?

Thanks

You don't need to do that,you can just copy the file from the original game and paste it in your "mod" folder.
  • ccualumni likes this

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV Lives

• Members
  • Russia
    Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:48 AM

You don't need to do that,you can just copy the file from the original game and paste it in your "mod" folder.

The path in game and mods folder must be the same.
So, for GTAV\x64\audio\sfx\SCRIPT.rpf you will get GTAV\mods\x64\audio\sfx\SCRIPT.rpf

There is a table in first post which explains everything:
Grand Theft Auto V - Original archive pathPath in "mods" folder
GTAV\update\update.rpfGTAV\mods\update\update.rpf
GTAV\common.rpfGTAV\mods\common.rpf
GTAV\x64\audio\sfx\SCRIPT.rpfGTAV\mods\x64\audio\sfx\SCRIPT.rpf
GTAV\update\x64\dlcpacks\mpheist\dlc.rpfGTAV\mods\update\x64\dlcpacks\mpheist\dlc.rpf
GTAV\x64e.rpfGTAV\mods\x64e.rpf
  • ccualumni likes this

Augarette
  • Augarette

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:10 PM

hello, sorry if this is OOT(?) but how do you update a modded gta V? i have the steam version so should i just let steam download the files? will i lose my mods? thanks in advance

_CP_
  • _CP_

Boss

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful Modding 2016 [Runner-up]
    Best Vehicle 2016 [IVPack]
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:32 PM

If your mods was in "mods\update\update.rpf", copy new "update.rpf" file from "update" folder to mods location. You have to reinstall mods manually.

maxpin
  • maxpin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:36 PM

@GooD-NTS which files is updated in new version plz?

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV Lives

• Members
  • Russia
    Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

@GooD-NTS which files is updated in new version plz?

During each GTA V update only one file is really changed is update.rpf

If you ask me what files is changed inside update.rpf? I don't know.
But, you can extract both (new & old) archives into different folders and then compare it with tools like araxis merge.

maxpin
  • maxpin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

thank you man u helped me.

Lamborghini1335
  • Lamborghini1335

Come and get me...

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:24 PM Edited by Lamborghini1335, 24 December 2015 - 12:50 PM.

2 things. How do I copy the SCRIPTS. File from sfx folder without having to copy other files in that folder as well. And how come my game doesn't load my modded files, I've replaced the files with what I want in the the mods folder, and copied some asi files to my mods folder as well but the game never loads those files. I've done everything in the first post but nothing.

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV Lives

• Members
  • Russia
    Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:09 PM

How do I copy the SCRIPTS. File from sfx folder without having to copy other files in that folder as well.

What?

So, for example you want to mod this archive:
.\Grand Theft Auto V\x64\audio\sfx\SCRIPT.rpf

You go to "mods" folder and inside it you create other folders, so after your copy archive into mods folder it will have the following path:
.\Grand Theft Auto V\mods\x64\audio\sfx\SCRIPT.rpf

Now you open this archive in OpenIV.

And how come my game doesn't load my modded files, I've replaced the files with what I want in the the mods folder, and copied some asi files to my mods folder as well but the game never loads those files. I've done everything in the first post but nothing.

You no need to copy ASI files into "mods" folder, they will not work.

Lamborghini1335
  • Lamborghini1335

Come and get me...

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

As in not working at all, even if they go into the normal directory?

And do I use the latest dlc folder for their dlc.rpf?

ccualumni
  • ccualumni

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:04 PM

How do I copy the SCRIPTS. File from sfx folder without having to copy other files in that folder as well.

What?
So, for example you want to mod this archive:.\Grand Theft Auto V\x64\audio\sfx\SCRIPT.rpf
You go to "mods" folder and inside it you create other folders, so after your copy archive into mods folder it will have the following path:.\Grand Theft Auto V\mods\x64\audio\sfx\SCRIPT.rpf
Now you open this archive in OpenIV.

And how come my game doesn't load my modded files, I've replaced the files with what I want in the the mods folder, and copied some asi files to my mods folder as well but the game never loads those files. I've done everything in the first post but nothing.

You no need to copy ASI files into "mods" folder, they will not work.

So, I right click and create a folder, then right click in that folder and create the next folder, etc... So make the x64 folder in the mods folder, then the audio folder in the x64, etc...

Lamborghini1335
  • Lamborghini1335

Come and get me...

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

I did it that way as well, still nothing. I was alaso wondering since you stated using the mpheist folder would it work better if I used the most recent update's folder instead. My ASI files that I've left in my GTAV folder still don't work.

GooD-NTS
  • GooD-NTS

OpenIV Lives

• Members
  • Russia
    Best Tool 2012 [OpenIV]

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:59 AM

I did it that way as well, still nothing. I was alaso wondering since you stated using the mpheist folder would it work better if I used the most recent update's folder instead. My ASI files that I've left in my GTAV folder still don't work.

Show logs files: asiloader.log & OpenIV.log

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users