mr quick
  • mr quick

VŚr tid er forbi - Europa brenner!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:37 PM

I'm not proud to say I "discovered" The Doobie Brothers from GTA V. I was already a fan of Michael McDonald from his work with Steely Dan, but hadn't looked into his career. 

Here's a great live show:

Especially dig the instrumental break on "Long Train Runnin'", which kicks off at 30:30. Fun fact about the bongos guy, he started out as a roadie. He became a permanent member of the band after some of the band members heard him playing around with the bongos while rigging!

• Mister Pink and Sweet Bellic like this

Homemade Dynamite
  • Homemade Dynamite

Melodrama

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:34 AM

Gesaffelstein (GtaV)
Flying lotus (GtaV)
Skrillex (Cod Bo2)

That's it, i'm more into the EDM scene and that isn't used much in games. I still like most of the game music though but i don't really feel like looking them up

What do you mean? EDM has practically become the default genre in racing games.

Sentinel Driver
  • Sentinel Driver

Mendoza has been f*cking hit!!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

Way too many. Here are some of them and the songs that I enjoyed

Boston - Peace of Mind

Desert Rose Band - One step forward

L7 - Pretend we are dead

Toto - Hold the line

Thanks GTA!

• Sweet Bellic likes this

Homemade Dynamite
  • Homemade Dynamite

Melodrama

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

More bands/artists I discovered through video games.

Lucius ("Turn It Around" in Rock Band 4)

Courtney Barnett ("Pedestrian At Best" in Guitar Hero Live)

Marmozets ("Move, Shake, Hide" in Guitar Hero Live)

Fashawn ("Something to Believe In" in Madden NFL 16)

The Strypes ("Get Into It" in Need for Speed 2015)

Drenge ("We Can Do What We Want" in Need For Speed 2015)

Aero Chord ("Surface" in Need For Speed 2015)

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:33 PM

I discovered:

• CHVRCHES through the enhanced version of GTA V ("Recover" remixed by Cid Rim)
  • Killing Joke through Need For Speed: Underground 2 ("The Death and Resurrection Show")
  • Eek-a-Mouse through Saints Row 2 ("Ganja Smuggling")
  • TRS-80 also through Saints Row 2 ("Special Effect")
  • Mister Pink, OH NO and Ivan1997GTA like this

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:50 PM Edited by OH NO, 01 January 2016 - 04:01 PM.

I discovered Skyzoo after hearing his song The Chase Is On in Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City, and now I'm a huge fan, and he is one of my all-time favorites. 

sky is a dope artist, real complicated rhyme schemes, i still havent heard music for my friends yet

ive seen him and torae (the barrel brothers) actually freestyling , not pre written verses but off the top, two true emcees..ill see if i can find the video

edit here it is: 

some pre writtens id say actually but its just a line or two here n there as a base to go off the top

havent really found many artists through games, though i got heavy into nickel nine after GTA 3, also this track off FIFA 12 0r 13 

this f*ckin tune man, ive played this at house parties and it catches ppl by surprise but what a bangin tune, that beat drop at 1:15 is :panic:

Cameron Star
  • Cameron Star

Rock my socks.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:01 AM

The only two I can remember I discovered from a video game are Kasabian (Club Foot from Alan Wake's American Nightmare) The Cult (The Rain from GTA V).

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:54 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 03 February 2016 - 11:00 AM.

Although I like to think I would have got there any way, I'd like to give credit to Rockstar for expediting my love for the Funk. 

Other than that, GTA is fantastic and introducing you to new music. I usually know a good amount of music in GTA's all ready and V's latest additions shocked me as it was like they plucked a few tracks from regulars we always play at parties such as Immagination's Flashback, Mothership Connection by Parliment, Da Luniz - I got 5 On It and Bad Girls by MIA.

Loving the music director at Rockstar!

@Phnx: I remember discovering Ganja Smuggling by watching a Howard Marks documentary when he visits Jamaica. Love that track. 

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

What doth LIFE Life life?

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:24 AM Edited by Nutsack McQueen, 09 February 2016 - 02:27 AM.

Mirror's Edge - Solar Fields

FC3: Blood Dragon - Power Glove

Hotline Miami 1 and 2 - pretty much every artist in those games

Also a few individual songs from GTA games. Stevie Nicks in both IV and V is pretty cool, haven't listened much of her other stuff.

I also just like listening to game soundtracks or rather scores, stuff that's specifically made for the game by composers.

Sweet Bellic
  • Sweet Bellic

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Finland

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:51 PM

Queen (One vision and Radio Gaga)

David Bowie (Fascination and Somebody up there likes me)

Acdc (Touch too much)

Phil Collin (In the air tonight)

Stevie Nicks (Edge of seventeen)

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:31 PM

Years ago GTA San Andreas introduced me to the music genres I listen to now. Radio X and K-DST still have a special place on my heart thanks to that, before that my music taste was pretty much what I heard on the radio and such, that game introduced me to whole new things I love now - so many great different types of rock.

Thanks to that I always defend for me GTA San Andreas has the best soundtrack of the franchise, more for this personal reason.

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:33 AM

Plenty with GTA, but the most important one is Patrick Cowley, with this song...I hope that one day I'll attend a massive orgy at a Gay bar, and tell the DJ to play it...

Very underrated artist...

jrl51592
  • jrl51592

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

The PS2 game, MX vs ATV Unleashed, introduced me to Skindred, Mushroomhead and several other bands that I like that I hadn't previously known.

Falenone
  • Falenone

Mapper

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:43 AM

GTA 3's Rise FM

Slyder - Neo (The One)

Basically every song in San Andreas KDST

Spoiler

SFUR
Mr. Fingers - Can You Feel It?

Probably there's other games too but don't remember those.

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

FN

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:07 PM

Lol, growing up, I just about discovered most bands and rapers I listen to through Tony Hawk, Skate, GTA and Rock Band.

In GTA V, I learned about Dom, the band that made that Mirror Park song "Living in America," bought that album, and it's actually one of my favorites. 

Another band I heard about in V is Bass Drum of Death. I don't like that song "Crawling After You" in the game, but their other stuff is pretty good. It all sounds like music that would mesh very well with skateboarding. I always loved the sound of garage rock, so it's actually nice knowing the name of a band in that category.

I just... like this kind of music. It might be time fo finally give up rap. :D

• Rotary likes this

KowalskiGuy
  • KowalskiGuy

One average penguin, one average member title.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:49 AM Edited by KowalskiGuy, 25 March 2016 - 12:49 AM.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (the original one) gave me:

-Disturbed - Decadence

-Avenged in Sevenfold - Blinded in Chains

-Bullet for my Valentine - Hand of Blood

-Celldweller - One Good Reason

Thanks to GTA, I'm enjoying so much music until today, here're some examples.

-Soundgarden - Rusty Cage

-Alice in Chains - Them Bones

-Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name

-Guns 'n' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle

-Toto - 'Africa' and 'Hold the Line'

-Phil Collins - 'In the Air Tonight' and 'Easy Lover' w/ Phillip Bailey

-Anthrax - Madhouse

-Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes to Midnight

And let's not forget about Poets of the Fall and their 'Late Goodbye', which is featured in Max Payne 2.

I could write this list for about an hour, but I'm lazy to do so. I'll just finish this here (for now)

• Big Mike likes this

unbid
  • unbid

Sgt. Pooper Lonely Farts Club

• Zaibatsu
  • Indonesia

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:40 PM

Discovered t+pazolite from RhythmVaders. I felt glad that I discovered him. Even though his works are very messy and fast-paced, there are tons of energy in there:

and I just found his live action in Chicago:

Shakermaker
  • Shakermaker

Black Hole Sun

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:55 PM

Mellowdrone (Driver 3):

• Adrian J. likes this

Adrian J.
  • Adrian J.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:59 PM

Mellowdrone (Driver 3):

Driv3r had great songs, Syntax-Destiny was great

As for me one of my fav bands was discovered through Driver:Parallel Lines

fuggi
  • fuggi

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:11 PM

Living Colour from San Andreas. It's quite popular as it's being played every time you join stadium races.

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

FN

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:00 PM

Notorious bump, but Vice City and Guitar Hero got me into Iron Maiden. I was pretty young at the time, plus my dad didn't listen to that heavy of music, so it was a new thing for me. Powerslave is one of my all-time favorite albums, so many great songs!

When Rock Band first came out, I heard "Highway Star" on a commercial and instantly liked it. I haven't thoroughly explored their music yet, but that, "Space Truckin" and "Smoke On The Water" are some of the top Classic Rock songs in my iTunes library.

Not totally related to the topic since I'm not listing an artist or a band, but the Forza Horizon series is what got me into EDM. Back when Ballad of Gay Tony came out, I loved the new version of Vladivostok FM, but at the time I was too into Rap to really care about exploring the genres. After playing Forza Horizon 2, I'm now exploring EDM as a whole, slowly discovering artists I can see myself following on Soundcloud, Spotify, and whatnot. I can't wait to see what Horizon 3 offers in terms of a soundtrack, they've been superb so far. :)

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud
  • DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

here is wondering how long a member title actually could be

• BUSTED!
  • Belgium

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:24 PM

a few songs of avenged sevelfold trough black ops zombies

a few songs of the rolling stones trough black ops story

Globus indirectly trough overall videogame fanmade trailers on youtube....goddamn, really, they make what is for me about like the greatest music one can have....classic music mixed with rock mixed with maybe techno

i want to die listening to one of their songs.

SLUMPUSSY
  • SLUMPUSSY

Nadia. I've, uh I've got reserves.

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:35 PM

IV put me onto global communication - 5:23 which in turn got me into tangerine dream since 5:23 samples the f*ck outta love on a real train

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The new age of Bowling is here!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:44 PM Edited by B Dawg, 19 July 2016 - 12:47 PM.

Hatred introduced me to one badass Death Metal band, Blood Red Throne, which has become my favorite ever since!

Testarossa
  • Testarossa

now please, hear what i hear

• The Connection
  • Mexico
  • Worst Ferrari
    Best Concept DLC 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

CHVRCHES ("The Mother We Share" in Forza Horizon 2.)

Soulwax (Soulwax FM in GTA V, duh.)

Neon Indian ("Change of Coast" and "Polish Girl" in GTA V.)

The Chemical Brothers (This is kind of a tricky one, they were in multiple games I played as a kid, but didn't recognize the songs until years later.)

Depeche Mode (I think it was either "Personal Jesus" on San Andreas or the Beatmasters mix of "Route 66" on Burnout Paradise, not really sure tbh.)

Voggs
  • Voggs

Just like the white winged dove

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:22 PM Edited by Voggs, 20 July 2016 - 07:25 PM.

I actually discovered Kanye West thanks to GTA IV and EFLC back in 2010.

I remember hearing Danger Zone before but didn't know the artist, so V finally introduced me to Kenny Loggins.

But I found most of my favorite bands through GMVs (Game Music Videos/tributes to games) on Youtube.

CHVRCHES ("The Mother We Share" in Forza Horizon 2.)

CHVRCHES is also in NG GTA V with a remixed version of Recover, Worldwide FM. I knew them before but that made me listen to them.

Twang.
  • Twang.

F U L L Y A U T O M A T E D

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:55 AM

I cite Tony Hawk's Underground as the root of a large portion of my taste.

New Noise by Refused got me into hardcore punk and harder music that wasn't nu-metal trash. That encompasses at least 25% of taste.

Red Hot Chili Peppers had a song on either it or the sequel and they were my favorite band for a few years.

Jane's Addiction was the gateway I used into alternative rock which I was all about for a few years.

There's a sh*t ton of excellent Hip Hop on there and I was into that for a while (not so much now, but still a little).

I didn't even notice it when I first played, but Mastodon had a song on it and they later became my favorite metal band.

Probably 90% of my tastes stem from this base, though not always in obvious ways. It's been like 12 years since then, so the connections are pretty distant and abstract, but I still think of it this way.
  • Rambo_AFC likes this

JosephStalin
  • JosephStalin

Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.

• BUSTED!
  • Russia

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:48 AM Edited by TruckingYokel, 31 July 2016 - 01:48 AM.

The Journey pretty much single handedly got me into ambient, every track is a masterpiece.  

• (Ambient) and Ivan1997GTA like this

Ivan1997GTA
  • Ivan1997GTA

Proud to Be Loud

• Facade Corporation
  • Russia

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:50 AM Edited by Ivan1997GTA, 16 December 2016 - 04:08 PM.

There's quite a lot of artists and bands that I discovered thanks to videogames, so here are a few:

Suicide ("Ghost Rider" in Driver: Parallel Lines)
Depeche Mode ("Personal Jesus" in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and "Everything Counts" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories)
Static-X ("The Only" in Need for Speed: Underground and True Crime: Streets of LA, "Skinnyman" in Need for Speed: Most Wanted)
Motley Crue ("Live Wire" in Tony Hawk's American Wasterland and Saints Row: The Third, "Too Young to Fall in Love" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and "Looks that Kill" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories)
Gary Numan ("Cars" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City) and the Tubeway Army ("Are Friends Electric?" in Need for Speed: Carbon)
David Bowie ("Suffagette City" in Driver: Parallel Lines, "Fascination" in Grand Theft Auto IV)
The Crystal Method ("Born Too Slow" in Need for Speed: Underground)
Jamiroquai ("Feels Just Like It Should" in Need for Speed: Most Wanted and "Alright" in Grand Theft Auto V)
Phil Collins ("In the Air Tonight" and "Easy Lover" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories)
Marylin Manson ("Rock is Dead" in Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition)
Michael Jackson ("Billie Jean" and "Wanna Be Startin' Something" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City)
Stevie Nicks ("Edge of Seventeen" in Grand Theft Auto IV and "I Can't Wait" in Grand Theft Auto V)

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:09 PM

Seeing this thread is still a thing.

• Gong ("Heavy Tune" in GTA IV)
  • Faith No More ("Midlife Crisis" in GTA San Andreas, "Epic" in Burnout Paradise and Saints Row: The Third)
  • Arctic Monkeys ("R U Mine?" in Forza Horizon, "Do I Wanna Know?" in The Crew)
  • Jedi Mind Tricks ("151" [Instrumental] in Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition)
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users