III & VC Save File Glitch Detection and Repair

121 replies to this topic
OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Feroci
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA & Modding]

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:15 AM Edited by OrionSR, 14 June 2015 - 10:06 AM.

id like to learn a little :p
apparently i suck because this is even too difficuot for me to understand -_-:

I thought you might. If you decide to give it a shot then download the 010 trial and start a new topic. This sort of thing is pretty easy with 010 templates. The same thing can be done with a free hex editor like HxD but then you actually need to understand what you are doing.

Adrenaline Mode Glitch - Another form of the too much time issue. Adrenaline mode freezes the clock at the same glitch level as a USJ (GTA3-PC).

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:30 AM Edited by Militia, 14 June 2015 - 01:23 PM.

I don't want to get into taking requests for custom save edits. Sending requests via PM is a very ineffective strategy. I don't think there's much profit to be made with a custom save editing service so instead I'll encourage you to contribute towards thehambone's save editor project. That's seems like your best bet for an intuitive tool that would allow you to manage your garages. I've already suggested the idea.

Ordinarily I'd offer to teach you how to do it yourself, but you've never shown any interest in learning this sort of thing. This should be a relatively easy process using a free trial version of the 010 editor. Maybe an Android or PC user will want to learn how to port your PS2 garages into their save and you can talk them into patching up your iOS save as well.

Well, as you know, I don't use Cheats, Mods, Editors.  And even if I did do this, it would be once and done.  It's not like I want to continue doing it.  Besides, I don't look at as cheating in this case, considering I obtained ALL the same Special Vehicles in BOTH platforms.  Just one of them I want isn't DP and it's not my fault.  I have the skills and capabilities to DP a Vehicle, but because no Taxi Glitch works in Mobile Versions for III, I was trapped using Missions with a passenger and most of them don't come up until the end, when your Garages are packed and Vehicles on top of Vehicles, etc.  How do you expect me to drive a Ghost Vehicle into a packed Garage without it opening due to too many Vehicles inside?  It's actually really difficult.  All I want is my PS2 Vehicles on iOS, so I can load up my iOS Save then my PS2 Save on iOS, as well.  Both are identical in the Stats.  Only failed 6 Missions for the very same 6 Special Vehicles....BOTH platforms.  I don't find learning necessary when it's only 1 Save I want to do.  Not many...

I am very against cheating and the likes.  Using a Save Editor doesn't cut it.  I'd use thehambone's Editor if it was released on iOS just to mess around, but there is no way in hell I'd edit my Garages and then slap up a Download Link for people.  It's a cheated Save and those are no good...

I've already used the Hazard Save Editor for GTA V way back when...What did it do?  Absolutely nothing.  I deleted my edited Save and re-did the entire Game legit.  I DON'T LIKE CHEATING!

I feel like I am giving out my Saves like candy, as well.  Nobody even thanks or appreciates it, yet, they will download it no problem and then disappear.  You do know not many people can even do what I do?  Yet everyone thinks it's simple...

Oh well, will just load up PS2 Save and use my BP/DP Barracks OL I suppose and f*ck the Mobile Version then.

EDIT: Just forget I even asked.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

Yeah, I know. Learning new stuff can be scary. I'm in the same boat. I need to learn IDA Pro so I can start researching in-game variables instead of begging off my friends. I need to learn C so I can work with the 010 Editor and communicate more effectively with other modders. I should probably learn Java and XML so I can be of some help to ham's editor projects. And if I want to work more effectively with GTASnP I need to learn about APIs. It's all rather overwhelming for an old fart like me because I know that if I learn these things there will be even more things to learn on the other side.

So instead I'll look into the incompatibility issues with Vice City saves while I wait for reports on timer issues on Android and iOS, and testing feedback of the PC beta repairs to timers already in place on GTASnP.

There! Back on topic.

• thehambone likes this

radiosilents
  • radiosilents

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:23 AM

I just recently started a new game and inadvertently gave myself the TMM glitch immediately after "Luigi's Girls". If this is helpful for testing, I'd be happy to upload it.

thehambone
  • thehambone

Don't remind me of home Or I might notice where I am

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:30 AM Edited by thehambone, 15 June 2015 - 03:31 AM.

What is the TMM glitch? But yeah, upload your save!

radiosilents
  • radiosilents

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:02 AM Edited by radiosilents, 15 June 2015 - 04:08 AM.

The "Taxi Mission in Memory" glitch mentioned in the OP - "Taxi Mission in Memory" bug (TMM, letting you to enter "Taxi Driver" sub-mission using any vehicle) - AKA a "mission blending" bug.

Here's a link to the save : http://gtasnp.com/sT61zr

EDIT : The only things that have been done in this save are "Luigi's Girls" and the Paramedic side missions, the latter of which was done by performing the Taxi mission glitch where you activate the taxi mission and exit the vehicle while holding the "activate mission" button until you enter another vehicle... in this case, an ambulance. this lets your perform a glitch where you pick up a passenger in the ambulance like it were a taxi and then drive to the car crusher, letting the ambulance get picked up, and then pulling the ped out while it's in the air. once you're back in the ambulance, it drops and effectively has a "no clipping" mode activated. you can drive through buildings, fall into the blue hell, etc.I used this ambulance to perform the paramedic missions, but at some point during the initial glitch (using the ambulance as a taxi) the rogue blip appeared on my mini map and won't go away.

• thehambone likes this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, this is how to DP Vehicles in III and LCS.  Crusher Glitch is the best thing in all of GTA History...

radiosilents
  • radiosilents

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

Yeah, this is how to DP Vehicles in III and LCS.  Crusher Glitch is the best thing in all of GTA History...

...aside from the fact that it has made my minimap far less effective permanently.

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

...aside from the fact that it has made my minimap far less effective permanently.

I just complete Paramedics Level 12 normally.  I never convert Ambulances, Police Cars, etc to Ghost or DP form.  I believe doing the Ghost Method for Paramedics is worse, considering the Ambulance grows in size, which slows it down, and also sometimes when you drive through buildings, you fall into Blue Hell...Meanwhile time is ticking down.  It's quicker and easier just to do it the good ol' fashion way.

I've seen what you mean, though.  A while back I tried converting a Police Car to DP form to do Vigilante and I noticed Taxi People on the mini map AND Vigilante guys.  Once I noticed it, I reloaded and said f*ck this and did it the normal way...

radiosilents
  • radiosilents

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:47 PM

I'd been banging my head against the wall on this ambulance mission for a while before trying the ghost method. When i was ghosting, I did it on the first try. i beat this sh*t the old fashioned way when the game was released (ps2 ver), but f*ck that - I'm not 20 anymore and I don't have enough time (or desire) to dedicate to working through this anymore. All i'm trying to do is establish a save file immediately after Luigi's Girls that has the paramedic mission completed so I can start a new game whenever I want and never have to fuss with this ever again.

• MorsPrincipiumEst likes this

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:06 PM Edited by OrionSR, 15 June 2015 - 09:09 PM.

'LUIGI'S GIRLS'

Okay, so it looks like that stray icon used to be a marker for the taxi destination at the Portland import/export garage (coords average for XY). That was indeed very helpful. I am reasonably confident that the _unknown byte at blip offset 0x23 is an allocation flag; the icon disappeared from the map when set to 0. The record looks like any other used blip now - the blip sprite and allocation byte are both 0.

It shouldn't be too difficult to scan all blips and identify any that are allocated without a sprite and remove them. Are there ever blips without sprite icons present on the map during a normal game? All of the GTA3 era games could use a more robust radar editor though. Crummy cleo scripts have a nasty habit of adding lots of icons in the same location and cleaning them up manually is a difficult process. Something that could remove strays, duplicates, and individual markers would be very helpful.

• thehambone and radiosilents like this

radiosilents
  • radiosilents

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:23 PM Edited by radiosilents, 15 June 2015 - 09:27 PM.

Downloaded, tested, confirmed fixed. Thank you so much! I'm very grateful. I'll be playing extensively over the next couple of weeks using this save as a starting point, and will not be using any codes or exploiting any glitches moving forward. If i encounter any other anomalies, I'll come back and update.

• thehambone likes this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:33 PM Edited by Militia, 07 August 2015 - 08:35 PM.

Here we go again....OrionSR or anyone, maybe you can shed some light on this.  I still don't get any of this stuff, but apparently it happens in iOS/Android in Vice City, like you guys were saying happens in GTA III for PC.  I know in my III iOS Save, that the Stunt Jumps are f*cked up like what you guys say in III PC, but in PS2, it's not.  This seems to be a PC/Mobile type of problem...I have VC for iOS, but never checked to see if this happens or not.  WHILE I was doing the Stunt Jumps in a Starter Save, I had no problems, though.  Same in III, I had no problems, until later as I went over a jump using it as a "shortcut" like the OP in the topic below has said, and that is when I noticed the freeze of the camera in place...

http://gtaforums.com...in-ios-version/

MrAlexVercetti
  • MrAlexVercetti

Loyal VC Player

• Members

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:00 AM Edited by MrTommyV, 22 November 2015 - 03:01 AM.

The UNIQUE STUNT JUMP CAMERA FREEZE happened to me alot. and its very ugly feeling. i always used the ONSPEED cheat to get the game back to normal. didnt know about this topic before or i'dve used ur tips on getting the game back to normal. tho i dont cheat at all. only health one. I liked the post AlSAR made with all that hints and tips. Thx

P.S. Just wanted to know if there's any reason that this glitch happens. What can make that glitch happen?..

crashoverride93
  • crashoverride93

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:16 AM Edited by crashoverride93, 12 March 2016 - 02:20 AM.

how about making eaither a cleo script or asi file that resets these gloabal values everytime a save file is loaded?

thehambone
  • thehambone

Don't remind me of home Or I might notice where I am

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:17 AM

Meh, I think it's easier to just edit the save file if there's an issue. Having a CLEO script reset the global variables each time the game is loaded may cause problems down the line.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:38 AM

This is definitely a job for a save editor. Cleo scripts are dependent on the same timers as the game scripts; they stop working when the camera freezes too. I wouldn't expect a cleo script to continue to execute after the global timer was lowered; might be a fun experiment though.  I'm not sure about asi, but if any strategy could work it would be considerably more complex. The save contains only a tiny subset of all the timers used in the game.

• thehambone likes this

crashoverride93
  • crashoverride93

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:45 PM Edited by crashoverride93, 25 March 2016 - 11:50 PM.

This is definitely a job for a save editor. Cleo scripts are dependent on the same timers as the game scripts; they stop working when the camera freezes too. I wouldn't expect a cleo script to continue to execute after the global timer was lowered; might be a fun experiment though.  I'm not sure about asi, but if any strategy could work it would be considerably more complex. The save contains only a tiny subset of all the timers used in the game.

If you set it to only execute 1 time per load how would that cause problems?

I can see if the value goes too low but if you set it to a specified value everytime I cant see how it would.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:09 AM

The sentence I removed because I didn't want to sound sarcastic was something like: Changing the timers while the game is running would be like changing a flat tire without stopping the car.

I'm predicting a nasty crash. I'm not sure which task is more difficult, figuring out how to change the timers while the game is running, or figuring out all the timers that must be changed to make game work properly again.

crashoverride93
  • crashoverride93

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:05 AM

the III USJ game speed setting of 0.25 may have originally been 0.3 as in VC but this was lost during compilation
Speaking only about gameplay feelings, slow-motion factor in III and VC looks the same for me.

we don't need to achieve 120 FPS to check for another level of the glitch
Frankly, I don't know how to achieve 120 fps in GTA III. VC's FL setting to OFF makes the game run at
maximum amount of fps that a PC can render, then you can limit your frames to 120 using V-Sync setup
in video card driver settings. In SA disabling FL will result in 60 fps but there is a FPS De-Limiter CLEO script
which removes this cap and you may act the same way as in VC. III's FL switching off results in rough 60 fps.
And I don't know any ways to override it.

P.S. 4emp2008 tenders his apologizes for not participating in our discussion.
But he's bad with English, so I have to represent his opinion as well.

I dont know if this counts but maybe cheat engines speed hack?

crashoverride93
  • crashoverride93

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:22 AM Edited by crashoverride93, 28 March 2016 - 08:29 AM.

The sentence I removed because I didn't want to sound sarcastic was something like: Changing the timers while the game is running would be like changing a flat tire without stopping the car.

I'm predicting a nasty crash. I'm not sure which task is more difficult, figuring out how to change the timers while the game is running, or figuring out all the timers that must be changed to make game work properly again.

Im assuming or guessing figureing out the timers that must be changed then again Im not entirely sure cause Im guessing things discovered in a save file dont match easily with things inside the exe file.

But here is an idea use cheat engine to search the values the cleo script is giving you then maybe find a pointer or try to change the values.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:43 PM

I predict that if you tweak the global timer while the game is running the game will break into a million pieces and you'll never be able to track down everything you need to fix. The saved data is just a few kilobytes out of many megabytes of game memory. But I'm trying to work with you here.

how about making eaither a cleo script or asi file that resets these gloabal values everytime a save file is loaded?

How about making either a cleo script or asi file that resets these global values every time a save file is created?

For cleo, start with a script that can edit the save using pretty much the same techniques used by SnP and save editors, then figure out a way to trigger the script automatically on the save just created. I know cleo has file management tools, but I'm not sure if they are up to this task.

For asi, I don't really know, but based on what I've read in the SilentPatch topic I suspect that the save routines could probably be modified to ignore or reset the timers as required. Hm... for that matter, maybe the load routines can be altered to ignore the timers.

I'm a bit worried about resetting the timers all the time. You are liable to discover new glitches based on hidden timers we did not anticipate.

• thehambone likes this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

I must say, I just finished my 2nd iOS Save File for GTA III but it was my first ever glitched Save I encountered in my history of playing GTA since 2001.  Seriously, I never came into a glitch like this.  What happened was during "Deal Steal," you need to get into a Yardie Lobo, pick up a contact, and then head to the Hospital Parking Lot in SI to meet up with Colombians to retrieve a Brief Case.  However, since Mobile does NOT have the legendary classic Taxi Trick existing, you need to use Mission Scripted Passengers as a way to make DP Vehicles using the Crusher Trick.  Sadly, when I was using the contact during Deal Steal to convert 4 of my Vehicles into DP form while passing the Mission, I somehow duplicated the pink dot at the Hospital in SI.  In fact, it was duplicated 6 times.  I've read Online by doing some searches and talked to a couple other people about this problem and it seems rare, but possible.  I saw a Topic on this Forum about a guy playing on PC Version who got the same glitch, but did nothing of the sort I did.  I am wondering what causes it.  I have my theories but I can't be certain.  I've heard of it happening on PS2, PC, and now iOS.

Luckily, thehambone was able to change a 1 to a 0 in the Scm File or something and fix it for me.  I re-did the Save in the first place to replace my Old Save on iOS since I could improve, of which I did.  It just pissed me off that Deal Steal got glitched and I had to use Outside Sources to fix it.  As people should know, I am not a fan of that, however, it was the only way to fix it.

None of this would of happened if Car Thieves were still a viable option to use to make DP Vehicles in free roam, however, this doesn't seem to work anymore, or at least for iOS or my game Version.  That's why I had to go to extremes while using Mission Scripted Passengers to make many DP Vehicles at once and pass the Mission at the same time...

Any information about this type of glitch would be great.  I read in the OP already about Mission Blending, in other words, duping the Mission, but I didn't dupe anything.  Plus, all those duping tricks don't work on Mobile Platforms.  Hence why you can't even use the legendary Taxi Glitch to do Taxi Driver in another Vehicle other than a Taxi.  Holding Buttons on Mobile doesn't work, thus I physically can't duplicate anything, yet, my Save got glitched.  No joke, first time ever.  I can't even believe it happened but thankfully thehambone fixed it! :)

superplough
  • superplough

Player Hater

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:46 AM

'LUIGI'S GIRLS'

Okay, so it looks like that stray icon used to be a marker for the taxi destination at the Portland import/export garage (coords average for XY). That was indeed very helpful. I am reasonably confident that the _unknown byte at blip offset 0x23 is an allocation flag; the icon disappeared from the map when set to 0. The record looks like any other used blip now - the blip sprite and allocation byte are both 0.

It shouldn't be too difficult to scan all blips and identify any that are allocated without a sprite and remove them. Are there ever blips without sprite icons present on the map during a normal game? All of the GTA3 era games could use a more robust radar editor though. Crummy cleo scripts have a nasty habit of adding lots of icons in the same location and cleaning them up manually is a difficult process. Something that could remove strays, duplicates, and individual markers would be very helpful.

Hi there, I hope it's okay to reply to such an old post... I have had the same problem as "radiosilents", while attempting to use the taxi crusher glitch (twice) I have ended up with these two radar blips that won't go away.  My save file link

I've searched for a way to fix it myself for half a day and haven't been able to find anything... is there any way you are please able to help me? If not I don't mind restarting the game but I'd rather not have to.  Thank you in advance!

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:39 AM

Try this: http://gtasnp.com/xutxVH

superplough
  • superplough

Player Hater

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:58 AM

Ah, thank you so much, it's perfect! :)

kaetsyth
  • kaetsyth

Snow Dog

• Members
  • France

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:59 AM Edited by kaetsyth, 21 May 2017 - 12:10 PM.

Hi, posting here - hope I'm not mistaken - regarding a glitch I face on my VC retail PC save file. I have 151:47 playing time and there's a high chance the game freezes with an Unhandled Exception (@ 004bb164) each time the game has to slow down : UJ, adrenaline. Plus, the save won't start and will just crash with that same exception address if the frame limiter is turned off. (I do play with FL on). I read all the thread, it was really interesting, even though I knew there were some glitches on SA regarding global timers (282 hours playing time on my SA save).

Here's my VC save if people want to experiment things on it : http://gtasnp.com/OXkfUB

I tried to use SnP beta timer reset but the save won't load at all (005a932d).

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:49 PM

SnP was your best bet for a fix. This type of repair is very complex. It's not the sort of thing I can manage manually, but I might be able to figure out why the SnP fix is breaking your save. I'm a bit busy with work though, it might be a few days before I can take a look.

• kaetsyth likes this

kaetsyth
  • kaetsyth

Snow Dog

• Members
  • France

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:18 PM Edited by kaetsyth, 22 May 2017 - 04:19 PM.

Nice! Thanks for your time.

After what I read and what I tried to make it work, I do think it's the timers that make the game crash.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:38 AM Edited by OrionSR, 23 May 2017 - 03:20 PM.

Oh no! SnP has scrambled your save. I was hoping more of the save had been properly adjusted but this save is all messed up. Well, mostly messed up anyway.

It looks like the global and weather timers have been reset properly. That solves the basic problem but it breaks everything else that relies on timers, so if those aren't reset too there will be lots of problems; like the scripts won't wake up until your save is hopeless glitched again - so you can't even save.  Fortunately, it looks like SnP got that part right too. And the car generators look like they've been fixed as well; that's a bonus. But there are serious to minor issues with the Cranes and Pickup blocks.

Does anyone have a VC 010 template that's more up to date than the one available at the link at the bottom of the VC Save Wiki?

Okay, list of changes:

Fixed block 0 pasted over old block 0 - global/weather timers and scripts.

Fixed block block 14 pasted over old block 14 - stolen car generators should respawn properly.

File compare found the properly repaired garage timer - manually reset so your garage full message should work.

It looks like SnP had a minor backfire on one of the floats in the Set Pieces (police trigger zones) in block 20. I left the original block and reset the timers manually so the cop cars should come shooting out of the usual traps when the appropriate wanted level is active.

The timers in Block 8 - Pickups, were reset manually. Changing the line width to match the record length helps make this a click and paste process, but its not too hard to mess up a few out of 338 pickups. If the pickup timers aren't reset then collected pickups might not spawn and dropped weapons and money may clutter the map until collected.

I reset one crane with a timer in block 7. I'm not sure what that does but figured I'd better be thorough. 

It doesn't look like your phone timers need to be adjusted. They are currently not ringing with 0 value timers. I'm not sure how the timers work for these.

I reset the timer to 0 for when the last mission was passed in Script sub-block B. Again, I'm not sure what this does.

And fixed the checksum. See how this file works for you. http://gtasnp.com/ogueR9

• thehambone likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users