With this small tweak you can re-assign the original engine sounds.
This is not about importing custom engine sounds.
You can still normally tune your car and the HUD name is also still original.
How to change engine sound:
- Backup your update.rpf
- Open your update.rpf with OpenIV and extract vehicles.meta file (update.rpf > common > data > levels > gta5 > vehicles.meta)
- Backup your vehicles.meta separately
- Open vehicles.meta with editor and search your vehicle section (each car section starts with <item> and <modelName>)
- Search for <audioNameHash /> entry in selected section
- Change entry to <audioNameHash>VIGERO</audioNameHash> for Vigero engine sound (you can try any other model name here)
- Save vehicles.meta and replace original file inside update.rpf with OpenIV (editor mode)
Changing a police car's hash to anything other than it's own model (even just another police car) makes its sirens silent and gives it the ability to use the radio for some reason. So right now doing this to a police car will mess it up.
Example: Engine sound change from car X to car Y. Car X now sound like car Y. Sadly this seems to work automatically vice versa. Car Y will automatically sound like car X.
Thanks for any find on this subject! Thanks for the move and title change!