The more I play Ballad of Gay Tony the worse it gets

106 replies to this topic
Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:11 AM

This game was supposed be titled: "The gay ballad of Tony", then it was changed to: "The ballad of Tony is gay", but afterwards it was changed again. :blink:

Dafuq are you talking about? It was always The Ballad of Gay Tony...

GrindingOnDatNRG
  • GrindingOnDatNRG

Let's be jellybean buddiez!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:26 PM

I am not a fan of Luis but I like him. He's easy to play as. I think I disliked him at first and said something to diss him and my friend was like shut up Luis is cool and I thought hey you know he is pretty cool and since then I liked him. He is a bit bland of you ask me, I would have liked something more from him he seems a bit aloof but apart from that I like him enough to play the game and enjoy it. He's never been an issue.

I don't like to rate all the games to each other. I like to look at it as it is and see that they are all different games with different aspects and qualities. Like, IV has Niko and the essential feel to it which can be really fun if you are in the mood for it, it's that refined quality. TBoGT has a splash of colour, new weapons, c4, improved little things like not falling off your motorbike so easily, the buzzard, the apc, new cars, and let's not forget they added motorbikes too which where really fun. TLAD was like IV a serious gritty game. But another story of a bike gang. It is what it is, I like it a lot and loved playing it but it never really was that appealing to me to be honest. What I mean by that is I would free roam on TBoGT not TLAD 80% of the time.

I think it depends how you play the game to how you enjoy it. There's a lot to do in Liberty City that some people tend to overlook... Each game has it's ways of making these things fun and have their own things to do. That's my opinion.

I wouldn't ever hate on TBoGT or TLAD because they where really cool ideas. I was so surprised when my friend first showed me his Episodes from Liberty City case and played it.

It's not perfect though, it can be annoying as well at times but overall I think it's a great game.
  • fac316 likes this

Weed_from_Field
  • Weed_from_Field

Against Obama's politics

• BUSTED!
  • Russia

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:27 PM Edited by Weed_from_Field, 24 May 2015 - 12:27 PM.

Actually,it's Grand Theft Auto,unlike Great Sweet Pussy 5.

OG13
  • OG13

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

Disliked it quite strongly on the first playthrough, softened up to it a bit on the second and after my third playthrough I think it's pretty decent, if a little dragged out; which is weird 'cause I thought TLaD was cut too short.

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:00 PM

Not being able to kill Rocko.......... :miranda:

• Naroon likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:01 PM

Same here. He was a slippery guy for sure.

SuperGTFan
  • SuperGTFan

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:22 PM

Same here. He was a slippery guy for sure.
That millennial asswipe...

SuperGTFan
  • SuperGTFan

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:49 PM

Still blasting everyone with the APC.

Watain
  • Watain

Ridin' motorcycles and makin' mayhem in GTA since 1998.

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:58 PM

I hated Luis when I first played it. I don't hate him now but I still don't like him. He's what I, in many ways, view as a typical douchebag. I didn't connect with him anywhere at all, whereas I connected deeply with both Niko and Johnny. His characteristics were pretty flat and boring, under-developed, etc., much like the characters in GTA V. In fact, the whole Ballad of Gay Tony is like a pretty bad taste of what would come next. It's like a mix of the IV+Lost and Damned eras' deep story telling and character development, and V's flat, boring and essentially unnecessary story and hugely under-developed characters. Rockstar sacrificed story and character depth for a more Saints Row 2-styled playing experience, which was totally unneeded. This, of course, got carried out even further with GTA V.

The Ballad of Gay Tony still had its moments, though. Luis is one the absolutely most boring GTA protagonists ever, but Gay Tony is a very interesting character on the other hand. He's also the only character that is rather developed in this installment, making TBoGT at least a better GTA than V in most ways. Other than that/him and the few new, great weapons, this DLC was kind of mediocre at best. The loose ends of the IV era being tied up (Bulgarin, diamonds, etc.) were not really great either, and can these days be viewed as another foreshadowing of what story telling was to become in GTA V - boring, lame, occassionally even completely unnecessary. They should've totally left Bulgarin's fate to Niko in IV, and let douchebag Luis deal with wanna-be Rocko, who is another prime example of what bad, uninspired, and flat story telling GTA V would have.

With these things said, I don't find myself re-playing this DLC again. I can't stand Luis, his lifestyle, clothes, etc, and the gameplay and story ain't of much worth either. I do ocassionally, however, still play through IV and The Lost and Damned. Still great games! I'm hoping for current-gen console remasters of those, though it's highly unlikely to happen.

• Algonquin Assassin and Maibatsu545 like this

Naroon
  • Naroon

Saturday Night Beaver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:49 PM

I'd argue that Saints Row 2 sh*ts all over this game, especially IV, in terms of character depth and development. Hell, even The Boss with his/her sociopathic ass was a much better fleshed-out and varied character than most recent GTA protagonists. I had a blast playing TBoGT, but looking back it was mostly because of the gameplay, not the story.

Luis was a sh*t-tier protagonist though. Just a boring, womanizing douchebag. Hated his clothing and his friends were annoying as f*ck (try doing the Drug Running missions and see how long you last before you just insta-gib them at the start of the mission to get them to shut up.)

• Gigs84 and Maibatsu545 like this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

borger

• Members
  • GoSquared
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:24 AM

How dare you talking that way about the best HD GTA ever created? Luis is the best HD protagonist. GTA TBOGT shows a shiny liberty city, the best Liberty City version of the game.

This is one of the funnier things I've ever read on this site.
  • Payne Killer likes this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:32 AM Edited by Majestic81, 20 July 2015 - 04:33 AM.

I disagree, first playthrough i found it bland, forgettable and did not like Luis, or the guns or the cars or anything about it. Second time i liked the characters more, paid attention to the story, got used to cars and weapons. 

I played IV then shortly after played TLAD and jumped into TBOGT. IV and TLAD being my favorites, TBOGT had a hard time earning my favor. But when i played it again after some time i enjoyed it a lot more. it captured the nightlife atmosphere neatly.

I really think it was a great f*cking DLC. along with TLAD. I dont think we will see DLCs like that for quite some time in GTA.

• Niobium, Payne Killer and The Deadite like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:06 PM Edited by Journey_95, 26 February 2016 - 09:06 PM.

Yeah I'm with you OP. Its really lackluster, the characters are just obnoxious and annoying (f*ck Mori especially), Luis is just a terrible protag etc. Not to mention how they ruined Bulgarin

And the worst part is it doesn't fit at all into the GTA IV Saga. Instead it fits more with GTA V and often feels like a preview of it which just makes me dislike it more

I always replay GTA IV and Tlad but not Tbogt anymore. 

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Death May Die

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:48 PM Edited by B Dawg, 27 February 2016 - 02:07 PM.

Regarding TBOGT's gameplay, Drug Wars are actually starting to get annoying. The fact that enemy backup literally spawns and teleports out of nowhere constantly is almost becoming a deal breaker.

Objective: Steal stash/drug vehicle

As soon as you do that, IMMEDIATELY RUN INTO SOME f*ckING COVER because on higher levels up to 3 vehicles full of super high HP gangsters will spawn out of nowhere, never leaving their vehicles (so you can't stun them with your own gunfire), and they will constantly teleport behind your back if you try to drive off unless you constantly keep your camera pointed backwards. It's even worse when the objective is to steal a helicopter. It drags out for far too long for the stupidest of things.

XavMashes
  • XavMashes

Liberty City guy

• Members
  • Uruguay

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:41 PM

I honestly like it. I like it a lot. It shows an area of Liberty City that has always been there but it's not portrayed in IV/TLAD. It's meant to be that way and you can't expect otherwise.

• SmokesWithCigs likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:19 AM

I honestly like it. I like it a lot. It shows an area of Liberty City that has always been there but it's not portrayed in IV/TLAD. It's meant to be that way and you can't expect otherwise.

I like that it shows a different side of LC and I didn't expect or wanted it to be as dark and gritty as the IV and Tlad 

BUT they didn't need to make every character so obnoxious and even ruin some (see poor Bulgarin or even Brucie). Not to mention the way too over the top missions, it feels like GTA V lite instead of a logical expansion to IV as Tlad was.

• theGTAking101 and Niobium like this

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:30 AM

I liked it. Showed a different light of LC. Loved the additional activities and equipment, plus new vehicles. Though characters should of been handled more seriously. It could of corresponded well with the action. 

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:34 AM

Probably already said it, but it's still more enjoyable than GTA V.

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, Gokuzbu and 4 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:06 AM

Atleast TBOGT actually has fun activities/side missions. I would prefer that than Yoga or towing cars.

• B Dawg, MikeMyth, Journey_95 and 2 others like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:10 AM

Atleast TBOGT actually has fun activities/side missions. I would prefer that than Yoga or towing cars.

Also, with a bit of tinkering (via SNT), you can play as Niko Bellic, complete with all of his Speech Files. It's still there 100% in EFLC. :^:

• Algonquin Assassin and B Dawg like this

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:17 AM Edited by UshaB, 28 February 2016 - 01:27 AM.

TBOGT needed Didier Sachs or Perseus open. Luis needed a range of clothes to wear.

• Niobium, Zello and Payne Killer like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:21 AM

No argument there. Just wish it had a better story and characters.

Going from IV and TLAD to TBOGT is just jarring in every way

• Algonquin Assassin and B Dawg like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:23 AM

TBOGT needed Didier Sachs or Perseus open. Luis needed a range of clothes to where.

Where did he put his Clothes? :p

• UshaB likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:25 AM

Oh don't get me wrong. Compared to GTA IV and TLAD the story and characters pale in comparison, but it's still a fun game.

Unfortunately it started the trend of a shallow story/characters which made its way into GTA V. 

• B Dawg, Journey_95, Niobium and 1 other like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:26 AM

Oh don't get me wrong. Compared to GTA IV and TLAD the story and characters pale in comparison, but it's still a fun game.

Unfortunately it started the trend of a shallow story/characters which made its way into GTA V. 

And that bloody annoying Mission Completion Checklist Thing. :facedesk:

• Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg and Naroon like this

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:28 AM

TBOGT needed Didier Sachs or Perseus open. Luis needed a range of clothes to where.

Damn it! So this is what happens after High School.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:31 AM

Damn it! So this is what happens after High School.

Maybe if you spent less time Juicing, and more time Studying, you'd have better Grammar.

:lol:

• UshaB likes this

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:35 AM Edited by UshaB, 28 February 2016 - 01:36 AM.

Man I hate the thought of steroids. I even deferred Uni for next year, for the pursuit of fitness. I guess I can study something. 

OT: Luis FTW

BlueRoseGirl_xx
  • BlueRoseGirl_xx

BlueRoseGirl_xx

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

tumblr_n881hwMKeS1s27mg6o9_250.gifThis guy made TBoGT all worth it hahaha apart from his sh*tty missions, quite a character! 

• Zello likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:54 AM Edited by Zello, 08 March 2016 - 02:55 AM.

TBOGT needed Didier Sachs or Perseus open. Luis needed a range of clothes to wear.

Yeah that was pretty much the only thing missing for it. TBOGT showed us the Flashy side of LC I wanted some flashy clothes for Luis to go along with it.

• Majestic81, Payne Killer and UshaB like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users