Photo

The more I play Ballad of Gay Tony the worse it gets

106 replies to this topic
helpplease
  • helpplease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:09 PM

I played it the first time and thought it was better than GTA 4. TBF in some ways it was. It had checkpoints and more mission variety but and here's the thing: its not grand theft auto. Its like some 3rd person shooter with a James Bond element to it. Luiz is completely unlikable. He seems so passive and yet supposedly cool. His character is badly written. Is he a an anti hero? Well anti heroes usually have some noble objective. Luiz has none really. He effectively throws an innocent man off a building and arrogantly says "I aint touch you". Then to juxtapose that he seems to bend over for Tony all the time, for an annoying drunk who causes nothing but trouble. Tony has no redeeming qualities at all. Infact none of them have. Why the f*ck am I stealing an army helicopter for some annoying (I know, I am using that word a lot but thats because it is) Arab? None of it makes any sense other than an excuse for filler and for mission variety that GTA 4 didn't have. To add insult to injury Luiz asks for the helicopter, which Amir says "sure, its effectively yours anyway". Wait so what was the f*cking point in these missions then? 

All the characters in the game are obnoxious as hell. I have to put the game on mute its so bad. 

• Tomasak, Journey_95, Jeansowaty and 3 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:17 PM

It's "Luis", not "Luiz".

• O.Z, LevelDockSix, theGTAking101 and 10 others like this

tranceking26
  • tranceking26

But I'm a f*cking raspberry!

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

This DLC was made to bring back some madness to the HD era. It worked but I can understand people thinking some parts were OTT. 

• theGTAking101, Niko Montana and Big Gta fan like this

SuperGTFan
  • SuperGTFan

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:35 PM

I actually agree on that, I think it's because you can replay the main missions which kills the replay value, Luis isn't a deep character, we never met Old Man Ancelotti, Bulgarin's character got ruined and his death was anti-climatic, and we never see much of Luis's mother, Armando and Henrique, Tony isn't a "Hang Out Friend",and he disappears after Departure's Time.

The only thing that keeps me playing it is fighting the police who are equipped with the new powerful weapons in TBOGT because it makes it more challenging, and sometime's running amok with the APC and Buzzard, there's really nothing other than that. IMO
  • The Made Man and Journey_95 like this

helpplease
  • helpplease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

Agree with the two above. There is something about Ballad that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, despite being objectively a decent game. The execution is all over the place and perhaps a desperate plea of "ITS NOT GOING 2 BE AS BORING AS GTA 4! Look its got parachutes and helicopters". 

Luis' mother was an odd side story that just seemed to be dropped suddenly. It didn't go anywhere. 

SuperGTFan
  • SuperGTFan

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:06 PM

You can only call her for a mother and son love after the final mission and that's it, sadly. :(

Ahhh, if only Bulgarin sent his russian hit squad on Luis's mom as well as A and H to show L how Ray is so pissed at the diamond thing, it will be just like how Big Smile Lee sent his men on the water street boys to come after everything Wei Shen got in Sleeping Dogs.

Party's Over alone didn't really fill up much.😞

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

Trappin like the Vagos

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

TLAD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TBOGT

TBOGT was so bland and Luis as a character was so boring. The only fun part was staying in the night clubs... Also they ruined some radio stations and replaced good stations with BAD ONES! Why the f**k would you replace Massive B with f**king Ramjam!??? Thank god I never got the disc version. So many terrible stations. 

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:42 PM

You're not alone. I can't stand Luis and don't like what they did to Bulgarin. Made him from a cold threatening antagonist into...... a joke. Roco and Yusuf were the only characters in the DLC I actually liked.

I played MP so I could enjoy the APC without having to be Luis.

happygrowls
  • happygrowls

You gotta run and don't look back.

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

TBoGT was a love letter to the 3D universe, mainly San Andreas.

The Narrative was Mediocre, the new vehicles and guns were nice. But TBoGT feels like what IV should have had, the buzzard, APC etc. If anything TBoGT was Rockstar's way of saying "Here's what you can expect from the next GTA".

• matajuegos01, Payne Killer and SmokesWithCigs like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

Look, I enjoyed playing through the game, and there are a few things I like about this installment (weapons, and vehicles), but however, I feel it is the 'black sheep' of the GTA IV trilogy. It doesn't really suit the general vibe of Liberty City, and New Alderney that the other two games created..

• thehambone and Payne Killer like this

SuperGTFan
  • SuperGTFan

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:53 PM Edited by SuperGTFan, 15 May 2015 - 10:54 PM.

Look, I enjoyed playing through the game, and there are a few things I like about this installment (weapons, and vehicles), but however, I feel it is the 'black sheep' of the GTA IV trilogy. It doesn't really suit the general vibe of Liberty City, and New Alderney that the other two games created..

At this point, I think TLAD is the black sheep, due to how rockstar has despised them for no clear reason in both V and Online.
  • Niobium and matajuegos01 like this

dognuts
  • dognuts

Well if u put it that way...although I am kind of slim

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:58 PM Edited by TheKillerDonuts, 15 May 2015 - 10:58 PM.

It was a comedy, and was completely different to IV and TLAD. Personally, i loved it. Looking at it as a comedy makes it a lot more enjoyable. If you like the humor, that is.

• gunziness, Official General, Perez84 and 11 others like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:11 AM

i'm actually the opposite, the more i play the more i like it.
  • O.Z, gunziness, Kalerney and 15 others like this

fefenc
  • fefenc

All are equal no discrimination, Son of a Gun, a simple equation

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:19 AM Edited by fefenc, 16 May 2015 - 12:23 AM.

How dare you talking that way about the best HD GTA ever created? What did you expected? Another crybaby protagonist that cries a river through the storyline?

GTA TBoGT rocks, Luis is the best HD protagonist, he cares about his family and friends, unlike Franklin who doesn't give a sh*t about his childhood friend at the point of his Ex calling him out to help Lamar.

GTA IV is grey, GTA TBOGT shows a shiny liberty city, the best Liberty City version of the game.

• -Quantum-, BlueRoseGirl_xx, GrindingOnDatNRG and 1 other like this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:25 AM Edited by Militia, 16 May 2015 - 12:26 AM.

TBoGT is also my least favorite out of the 3 (IV, TLaD, TBoGT).

It's still a good game but I don't play it often.  I much prefer booting up IV and TLaD.  I like how TLaD looks extremely grey and sh*tty looking.  Rain storms own.  Just like IV.  IV and TLaD just feel like you are in some dark, miserable, place on Earth, but that is the way it's "supposed" to feel, imo.  With TBoGT and the filters all removed, I don't like it as much.

TBoGT just doesn't fit the mold very well, imo.  Still light years better than V, though.  I even prefer Chinatown Wars over TBoGT, tbh.

• Algonquin Assassin, Jeansowaty, Maibatsu545 and 2 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:36 AM

I'm the same. I don't like it as much as GTA IV and TLAD, but it's still a really fun game IMO. It doesn't try to fill both ends of the "serious" and "wacky" spectrum like GTA V does. There are parts of it that feel like excuses to bring some madness to Liberty City, but I don't mind it to be honest.

Even Luis has grown on me over time. Sure he's no Niko or Johnny, but I don't think he's that bad. For my tastes GTA IV and TLAD are the two games that show case Liberty City in its gritty entirety with powerful stories and characters to match. TBOGT is the game that lets its hair down so to speak. I might not care about the story and characters as much, but it's good to mess around with as well it has some cool features like the triathlons, drug wars, cage fighting etc.

It's for this reason I consider GTA IV/EFLC to be the quintessential GTA package. :)

• Official General, dognuts, Kafonix and 3 others like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:50 AM

I'm the same. I don't like it as much as GTA IV and TLAD, but it's still a really fun game IMO. It doesn't try to fill both ends of the "serious" and "wacky" spectrum like GTA V does. There are parts of it that feel like excuses to bring some madness to Liberty City, but I don't mind it to be honest.

Even Luis has grown on me over time. Sure he's no Niko or Johnny, but I don't think he's that bad. For my tastes GTA IV and TLAD are the two games that show case Liberty City in its gritty entirety with powerful stories and characters to match. TBOGT is the game that lets its hair down so to speak. I might not care about the story and characters as much, but it's good to mess around with as well it has some cool features like the triathlons, drug wars, cage fighting etc.

It's for this reason I consider GTA IV/EFLC to be the quintessential GTA package. :)

Luis is light years ahead of Trevor in being more likable as a protagonist.

• Algonquin Assassin, HaythamKenway, Gokuzbu and 4 others like this

helpplease
  • helpplease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:28 AM

It was a comedy, and was completely different to IV and TLAD. Personally, i loved it. Looking at it as a comedy makes it a lot more enjoyable. If you like the humor, that is.

To each his own. I cant find anything in Ballad that I found funny. Surprisingly TLAD I actually laughed a number of times, like when you are supposed to hijack some van at the bridge stop. The black guy checks some guys money and is like "cant trust anything these days, not with out president". The guy in the car goes "SERIOUSLY? Are you wasting my time like this?". Absolute LOL moment. Infact I found Ballad to be rather depressing, such as Brucie and Yusuf. 

• Maibatsu545 and Fewpolecat93 like this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:47 AM

Surprisingly TLAD I actually laughed a number of times, like when you are supposed to hijack some van at the bridge stop.

Heavy Toll.  That Mission owns and contains the Unique Regina.  The Regina doesn't spawn in normal game play on the streets.  Only via Trainers to spawn it  Or you can obtain it from Heavy Toll like I did.  That Mission is one of the best in TLaD.  Can't say I have an extremely likable Mission in TBoGT, though.

SuperGTFan
  • SuperGTFan

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:51 AM

Surprisingly TLAD I actually laughed a number of times, like when you are supposed to hijack some van at the bridge stop.

Heavy Toll.  That Mission owns and contains the Unique Regina.  The Regina doesn't spawn in normal game play on the streets.  Only via Trainers to spawn it  Or you can obtain it from Heavy Toll like I did.  That Mission is one of the best in TLaD.  Can't say I have an extremely likable Mission in TBoGT, though.
Was the guy who came with his pregnant wife to the toll in the cutscene is Brian Meech from IV?

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:01 AM

That I am not sure, I usually skip cutscenes.  Always have.  But then I usually when I am bored watch some things on Youtube to see what I missed out on.

But yeah, some guy pulls up with a pregnant wife to the Toll Booth right before the goons in Regina's and the Slamvan come up.  It's also the Mission which introduces the Streetsweeper Shotgun.  One of the best guns in TLaD...

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

I love all 3 of them equally.

I just wish they added the Police Stinger into SP

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

I love all 3 of them equally.

I just wish they added the Police Stinger into SP

Not to forget about the Bravado Buffalo PPV, and (WMC Sovereign) Police Bike as well.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Death May Die

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:56 AM

and we never see much of Luis's mother, Armando and Henrique, Tony isn't a "Hang Out Friend",and he disappears after Departure's Time.

Those are all good things. Tony's friends in cutscenes were bad enough. And I don't see the ability of replaying missions a bad thing. You could always do that by starting a new game, but was made more convenient with the phone.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:07 PM

and we never see much of Luis's mother, Armando and Henrique, Tony isn't a "Hang Out Friend",and he disappears after Departure's Time.

Those are all good things. Tony's friends in cutscenes were bad enough. And I don't see the ability of replaying missions a bad thing. You could always do that by starting a new game, but was made more convenient with the phone.

Armando, and Henrique are very annoying, especially in the Drug Wars. I'm paraphrasing here, but every time their conversations are like, "So, we're going to be rich?". "Yeah, I'm going to buy two sets of fries.". Rinse and repeat.

• B Dawg, Maibatsu545, Naroon and 1 other like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Death May Die

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

That's why I always sticky bomb those f*cks to oblivion every time. If there was only a mod that would remove them from Drug Wars...

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

I've always viewed Armando and Henrique as the Dominican equivalents of Cheech and Chong except not as epic and yeah they can become annoying. Not as good as hanging out with Terry, Clay and Jim in TLAD.

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

Try doing like 100 Drug Wars trying to find the proper paintjob on a Vehicle, just to find out when you arrive it's not there and you gotta reload and try again.

THAT is the pinnacle of when those two goons get annoying.  I was able to tolerate it for a while, but then I slowly wanted to break TBoGT in half! :)

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

Only those who die get closure, the living do not.

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

I think TBOGT is the weakest out of all the GTA IV trinity, but still it is a great game with lot's of content. The story is the one that made this game weaker than TLAD.

• Jeansowaty likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

Try doing like 100 Drug Wars trying to find the proper paintjob on a Vehicle, just to find out when you arrive it's not there and you gotta reload and try again.

THAT is the pinnacle of when those two goons get annoying.  I was able to tolerate it for a while, but then I slowly wanted to break TBoGT in half! :)

Oh man I feel sorry for you. Trying to repeat them to obtain unique coloured vehicles...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users