Quantcast

» «
Photo

Dumbest things you've heard non car people say

533 replies to this topic
Average white guy
  • Average white guy

I love the smell of exhaust fumes on cool, frosty mornings.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Average white guy, 3 weeks ago.

Yeah that comment section is a gold mine of stupidity.

"this stuff is what i'll show my children when they ask why we live underwater and why we didn't stop global warming when we knew it exist"

If the entire planet was underwater (which will never happen; obviously) wouldn't you be dead? Global warming or 'climate change' is real, but changing every car to electric won't curb it.

"i'm a total car person but realistically the internal combustion engine for everyday transportation will go the way of the buffalo. no left or right is going to change that. btw. get your electric cars now before they hit them with a mileage tax cus that will come real quick when they lose significant revenue from gas taxes."

Mileage tax on EVs to make up for loss of revenue from gas taxes? Give me a break. 

TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Vehicle miles traveled tax it's called, and it's a thing in some places.

Average white guy
  • Average white guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think a higher tax on fuel to encourage switching to electric is a more likely scenario. The future is unwritten so who the hell knows what will happen. I just hope that internal combustion won't die for enthusiasts. They can tax it, regulate it ...whatever. As long as they allow us the freedom to enjoy our carbon belching toys on weekends I'll be happy.

TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Once EVs are common they'll implement vmt, on top of increasing tax on fuel and registration fees, for the greater good of course.

Average white guy
  • Average white guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Once EVs are common they'll implement vmt, on top of increasing tax on fuel and registration fees, for the greater good of course.

As long as the gov' doesn't make it impossible to enjoy our IC cars on weekends and stuff I don't care. I just don't want a Sunday drive to be a $200 affair. Maybe we could have a mileage limit similar to what 'antique vehicle' insurance policies enforce. Gas prices wouldn't change, but we can only drive a certain number of miles a year. Just enough to enjoy our cars once in a while so they don't sit and rot.

• InstaNoodles likes this

TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

At some point we'll get cart around by autonomous EVs like that Lexus ad and pay handsomely for the privilege of doing so.

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 2 weeks ago

A friend recently asked me do bikers who ride big bikes (600 cc or more) start fights with bikers who ride beginner bikes (50, 125 or 250 cc),because those on beginner bikes ride around and look cool,but don't have cool big bikes.  :blink: He thought riding a beginner bike somehow offends bikers on big bikes,and can get you a beatdown.

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 2 weeks ago

A friend recently asked me do bikers who ride big bikes (600 cc or more) start fights with bikers who ride beginner bikes (50, 125 or 250 cc),because those on beginner bikes ride around and look cool,but don't have cool big bikes.  :blink: He thought riding a beginner bike somehow offends bikers on big bikes,and can get you a beatdown.

Just depends on what jacket you wear ;) :)

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 2 weeks ago

Just depends on what jacket you wear ;) :)

That's what I explained him,the only thing that offends the bikers who are MC members is wearing a patch you didn't earn or wearing a rival MC patch in their turf,but he thought a biker on a big bike would attack a biker on a beginner bike just for riding it,like the ones on a beginner bikes are posers who pretend to be real bikers LOL.I explained to him that it's perfectly ok to ride any kind of bike no matter what type it is, what brand it is or how powerful it is,and as long as he doesn't wear a fake patch on his back,he wouldn't have any problems.

• Cudwieser and DOUGL4S1 like this

Plank.
  • Plank.

2*9; 9L; 6+D; 7; (2*45)+C+LS;

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

My friend, who is nice as can be but a complete brainlet, came over one day in his Oldsmobile. I don't remember how we got to the topic, but he asked me something about the oil, and I ended up checking it. When I took the cap off and looked inside, it was bone dry and smelled of burnt oil. I asked him when the last time he changed his oil was and he looked at me surprised and clueless, and said "I didn't know you had to change it." I gave him that look but it just didn't register with him, and I asked him how long it had been since he had it changed. He said he had never changed it the whole time he had it, which had been well over a year and a half at the time. Thankfully he wised up and had it changed, and its still running today AFAIK.

My grandma's truck has a broken push rod, a failing transmission, and the timing goes bad after half a year or so, resulting in the distributor needing fixed/replaced. I tell her this repeatedly, but she completely forgets and/or pretends to understand, and insists that it's just having trouble getting fuel. Yeah, uh huh. Merely thinking about it makes me want to have an aneurysm.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 5 days ago Edited by Scaglietti, 5 days ago.

Okay so a lot of good points where made about debt in this thread. And I personally probably won't ever buy a new car because most of the cars I want, most of my dream cars, will depreciate to 20-30K or maybe even less by the time I would even consider picking up something like that which is probably 3-5 years after college. But here's the thread:

https://www.reddit.c...n77&sh=e3943276

And you can already imagine. It's a guy arguing the point of why his co-worker (who is also a car guy) went out and bought a car he liked, while a frugal non-car guy keeps arguing how pointless and idiotic that was.

Some people just don't like or care for cars. I get it. No problem. But some people do like and have a passion for cars. People like this little idiot in this old ass thread need to realize that. "Why do people feel like they "deserve" nice things" it's not like you should live above your means. sh*t, most people who buy their dream cars figure out ways to afford it and not take a hit. Often some car guys have their spending priorities geared towards cars and have modest houses/apartments and live modest lives outside of their cars because its all they feel they want/need. And then this guy is acting like the Subbie owner didn't already drive a crappy used car which I'm sure he did. And is also acting like he couldn't afford the monthly payments which again I'm sure he could.

So I'm not advocating racking up a big pile of debt trying to live a wild ass lifestyle but you shouldn't have it in your head that you should never treat yourself or that the far future that you may or may not be saving your dreams for is promised. You could die tomorrow. You could get a life debilitating or threatening disease right before retirement. Quite a life then huh? People don't realize that anything can happen UNTIL IT DOES. I likely might have macular degeneration and could be without the most crucial part of my eyesight in 20 years. Better enjoy life now. No it doesn't mean make retarded financial decisions. But it means enjoy life.

Anyway, another point. People often confuse car guys with people who buy nice cars just because they can. It's not the same thing. As pretentious as that sounds, it's not. It's very different. I feel like a lot of people look down on car guys who go out of the way and buy nicer guys the same way they do those who want to make a statement or show of their wealth and it's a shame.

• Average white guy likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Nškyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 5 days ago

People fail to appreciate the fact that, if other people don't spend inordinate amounts of money on ridiculous cars they'll barely be able to afford, they won't have any second hand performance bargains to buy.
  • Tchuck and Scaglietti like this

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 5 days ago

People fail to appreciate the fact that, if other people don't spend inordinate amounts of money on ridiculous cars they'll barely be able to afford, they won't have any second hand performance bargains to buy.

That is true, but woe betide the day such fickle spenders actually get their sh*t together. Saying that two things in this life are infinite; the universe and human stupidity and I ain't sure about the universe (Albert Einstein).
  • Scaglietti likes this

marco6158
  • marco6158

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 5 days ago Edited by marco6158, 5 days ago.

"If you go fast enough on a turn, you'd roll over even if you're driving a Lamborghini" (doubt he was talking about the LM)

My friend said this while I was saying that his grandfather's Suzuki Samurai could rollover when taking small turns at high speeds.

• Scaglietti and DOUGL4S1 like this

Dottie
  • Dottie

Back from the dead-ish

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 5 days ago

The brakes stopped working until I opened and closed the door, then they work just fine....  :facedesk:

-Summary of an actual customer complaint one of my co-workers received

• Tchuck and DOUGL4S1 like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 5 days ago

"Seatbelts are uneffective under 60km/h"

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 5 days ago

"Seatbelts are uneffective under 60km/h"

What does that 'H' on your forehead stand for....Halfwit?!

• DOUGL4S1 likes this

TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

The brakes stopped working until I opened and closed the door, then they work just fine....  :facedesk:

Ever had a morbidly obese person come in and complain their car pulled to the left? That's a fun one, especially when they drive a subcompact.

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 3 days ago

Ever had a morbidly obese person come in and complain their car pulled to the left? That's a fun one, especially when they drive a subcompact.

Haven't they complained about lack of performance. :)

In all seriousness I'm aware of the physics, but really couldn't concieve a car actually trailing to one side because of an obese driver/passenger. I can understand a lean and I do understand the whole physics,but I'd have sworn, with both the suspension and lack of effort (by car and driver) the turn wouldn't be significant enough to be noticable, but there you go.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 days ago

Haven't they complained about lack of performance. :)

In all seriousness I'm aware of the physics, but really couldn't concieve a car actually trailing to one side because of an obese driver/passenger. I can understand a lean and I do understand the whole physics,but I'd have sworn, with both the suspension and lack of effort (by car and driver) the turn wouldn't be significant enough to be noticable, but there you go.

Maybe s/he drives the car for a while and their weight took a toll on the driver side suspension after a few years of use? Or it could've been something entirely unrelated. It would still be a funny thing tho.

• Cudwieser likes this

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

Supposed Contrarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 hours ago

Blood drains from my face, it turns pale white.

My heart beats fast. 

My hands shake.

I feel suffocated.

And it's because I just read this:

http://theimmoralmin...-years-new.html

https://www.inverse....ses-in-20-years

Silicon Valley is so out of touch with what ordinary Americans want and what their desires are.

Makes me think of that old anime, ex-Driver...

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 15 hours ago Edited by Cudwieser, 15 hours ago.

Blood drains from my face, it turns pale white.

My heart beats fast. 

My hands shake.

I feel suffocated.

And it's because I just read this:

http://theimmoralmin...-years-new.html

https://www.inverse....ses-in-20-years

Silicon Valley is so out of touch with what ordinary Americans want and what their desires are.

Makes me think of that old anime, ex-Driver...

Really!??? How so? I'm aware of the anime, just never watched it.

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

Supposed Contrarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 hours ago Edited by We Are Ninja, 10 hours ago.

^ That's what the anime is about. In "the future" we have completely automated cars. The sheeple are happy, they just get int tell it where to go and it goes there while they do nothing. But sometimes the cars malfunction and/or run amuck, and it's up to the ex-Drivers to chase them down and stop them in their non-AI cars. The ex-Drivers drive classic driving machines. There's a Lotus Europa, A Lancia Stratos, A Caterham Super 7, A Subaru Impreza 22B... The series is completely about the characters driving these amazing "old school" machines chasing down the new-fangled AI cars.

It's very, very worth a watch.

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 2 hours ago

^ That's what the anime is about. In "the future" we have completely automated cars. The sheeple are happy, they just get int tell it where to go and it goes there while they do nothing. But sometimes the cars malfunction and/or run amuck, and it's up to the ex-Drivers to chase them down and stop them in their non-AI cars. The ex-Drivers drive classic driving machines. There's a Lotus Europa, A Lancia Stratos, A Caterham Super 7, A Subaru Impreza 22B... The series is completely about the characters driving these amazing "old school" machines chasing down the new-fangled AI cars.

I'll give it a go :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users