Photo

Dumbest things you've heard non car people say

441 replies to this topic
Original Light
  • Original Light

You Float Like a Feather

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Original Light, 2 weeks ago.

That article is ridiculous. "Look, I like driving" No you don't, mother f*cker. Anyone who enjoys driving would never advocate a driving ban. This guy and others like him need to realize there are millions of car enthusiasts who share the roads with them. They're not going to roll over and let driving become illegal. Let the people who hate driving buy self-driving cars and let enthusiasts drive themselves around. 

Amen. I was actually thinking the same exact thing. Also, the fact he says he can't drive without being distracted makes him automatically think that everyone else drives distracted is hilarious. 

I couldn't tell if it was satire at first or not, but I think he's dead serious. 

Yea, and there are many more like him in the comment sections of self-driving car videos. These people are a riot. They think everyone is a sh*t driver like them. Their whole argument is safety, safety, safety, mother f*cking safety. Driving is just too dangwawoss and scaywey, and they'll only feel safe if no one is behind the wheel of a vehicle. People who enjoy driving, no matter how skilled, or how clean their record is will have to obey and give up their car.

"You primitive apes will have to enjoy your obsolete death machines on race tracks and other designated areas"

"Horse enthusiasts had to go with the rest of society when the car became mainstream 100 years ago"

"Driving vehicles shall be like riding horses, enjoyed as a pastime in designated areas on the weekend"

I've seen many of these particular comments, all damn-near identical. If they're real comments from people who actually feel this way and not Google shills, we're definitely headed towards 1984.

Everything in life is dangerous. Eating is dangerous. Skydiving is dangerous. Going for a walk is dangerous. Mowing your lawn can even be dangerous. If we ban everything that's "dangerous", what do we have left in life? Is it even life? That's a philosophical question I'd ask those people. 

Either way, I don't think we should worry. First and foremost, our politicians aren't that stupid, and even if they were, I'm sure tons of groups like SEMA or National Motorists Association would heavily lobby against it. Performance cars and aftermarket parts are a billion dollar industry.

If you read this article, the head of the Google Driverless Cars division says autonomous cars will mostly work best in cities in our lifetime, and that there will always be cars that are a blast to drive (and on public roads).

http://www.roadandtr...cik-google-car/

• Average white guy likes this

Average white guy
  • Average white guy

Story Mode Fanatic

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Average white guy, 2 weeks ago.

Everything in life is dangerous. Eating is dangerous. Skydiving is dangerous. Going for a walk is dangerous. Mowing your lawn can even be dangerous. If we ban everything that's "dangerous", what do we have left in life? Is it even life? That's a philosophical question I'd ask those people. 

Either way, I don't think we should worry. First and foremost, our politicians aren't that stupid, and even if they were, I'm sure tons of groups like SEMA or National Motorists Association would heavily lobby against it. Performance cars and aftermarket parts are a billion dollar industry.

If you read this article, the head of the Google Driverless Cars division says autonomous cars will mostly work best in cities in our lifetime, and that there will always be cars that are a blast to drive (and on public roads).

http://www.roadandtr...cik-google-car/

That article was a breath of fresh air. Hopefully things carry out that way. 

• Original Light likes this

Darth Absentis
  • Darth Absentis

Probably not your father

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 2 weeks ago

I do not know much about cars at all, but one time about a year ago some channel i was subscribed to made a top 10 sport cars for under 100 000 dollar, excluding second hand offerings and such.

I just found it pretty funny to watch a lot of people in the comment section saying the video sucked because the Nissan GT-R was not included, which is because the Nissan GT-R is pretty much always priced at 100 k or more.

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 2 weeks ago

Pretty much true, but... Bending the rules slightly the GTR (in the US) is only 110k approx for the base model. That is for the current gen. Since Dealers will often drop the price the longer a car sits It isn't unreasonable for older stock to lose significant value. A 'new' GTR for under 100k isn't unreasonable and I'd wager that what some of the commenters are gobbing off about are 2015 year and older models still being sold new while this years model is on offer.

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Those people are probably remembering the good ol days when the GTR was priced around $70-90K. That was back around 2007-2009 I think. Maybe they're too lazy to update their information. Nowadays, a new GTR easily breaks into $100K. Still a great car though.

• Cudwieser likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'm sorry. It's like a trigger when I hear people say that cars are boring or claim that they're all the same. Especially the latter. It just screams 1) boring person and given other factors I've noticed about them 2) plain ignorance.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted A week ago

"Why sould I waste money with new tires, these (bald) are fine!"

**About a month later his car hydroplaned into a ditch**

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted A week ago

Lucky! He could have had a delamination and blowout causing a more significant problem.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted A week ago

Lucky! He could have had a delamination and blowout causing a more significant problem.

That's actually what he was told later.

• Cudwieser likes this

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted A week ago

Hydroplaning into a ditch is pretty significant already.

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted A week ago

Hydroplaning into a ditch is pretty significant already.

True, but with bald tyres it can happen at pretty low speeds (under 50 mph). While a blowout can occur at low speeds it generally take the pressure to build up to those similar when a car is moving at about 50 or higher meaning the reaction is usually more rapid and painful.

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

Goes through you in 3 minutes

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I don't remeber where I saw this one. Maybe off of an old Top Gear episode on Youtube.

"Why do Americans call petrol, gas? It's a liquid, not a gas you dumb yanks."
  • Blessed Viper and Scaglietti like this

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted A week ago

Technically true, but still missing the point. :)

Serious question now. Why do americans call it gasoline while others call it petrolium?

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted A week ago

In my country, in the Region where i am from, in Spanish we call it "Gasolina" but in Catalan we call it "Benzina"

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Serious question now. Why do americans call it gasoline while others call it petrolium?

From what I read, petrol is the shortened word for refined petroleum. There is a problem though. Petroleum and refined petroleum aren't the same thing, because petroleum only refers to crude oil.
So here in the states, since gasoline is the technical term for refined petroleum, we say that instead, and it's been shortened to the word, gas.
That's my guess, and I might be wrong.
  • Cudwieser likes this

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted A week ago

From what I read, petrol is the shortened word for refined petroleum. There is a problem though. Petroleum and refined petroleum aren't the same thing, because petroleum only refers to crude oil.
So here in the states, since gasoline is the technical term for refined petroleum, we say that instead, and it's been shortened to the word, gas.
That's my guess, and I might be wrong.

Fair point. Petrol is used as an industry term here (even if it is generic) to refer to the refined oil (the original terms were distilate or ether iirc). Crude is sometimes used in reference to early Diesel engines due to their ability to run on pretty coarse fuel. As things currently stand the terms petrol, Diesel Crude, et al are used as reference to the level of distilation and refinment of crude.

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 days ago

"Vile polluting gas guzzlers why do you yanks still use them your known for being the worst greenhouse gas provider's on earth don't you think we're all suffering enough with out those monsters still being used come on yanks get with the plan"

Found this off of a saabkyle04 video. He was reviewing a 1979 Pontiac Bonneville Safari...
  • Average white guy likes this

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 3 days ago

^ Youtube?

Sounds like Youtube.

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 days ago

^ Youtube?

Sounds like Youtube.

Yeah. Saabkyle04 is a youtuber who posts car reviews. He used to do cool old farts and has-been cars like the Pontiac, but now he's moved on to modern sports and syper cars.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted A day ago Edited by Scaglietti, A day ago.

Um, he does reviews more like modern cars in general, not just sports cars.

Average white guy
  • Average white guy

Story Mode Fanatic

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A day ago Edited by Average white guy, A day ago.

"Vile polluting gas guzzlers why do you yanks still use them your known for being the worst greenhouse gas provider's on earth don't you think we're all suffering enough with out those monsters still being used come on yanks get with the plan"

Found this off of a saabkyle04 video. He was reviewing a 1979 Pontiac Bonneville Safari...

If they aren't trolling, they should understand that not everyone drives an "old, gas guzzling monster". They should also realize that pollution coming from classics is absolutely minuscule. There aren't enough of them driving around to cause catastrophic climate change.

• InstaNoodles likes this

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted A day ago

Also bear in mind a lot has to be said of how a car is driven and fuel used. Strictly speaking older cars use lead additives or should have be adapted for unleaded fuel (better a kick in the teeth now than a regular kick in the balls every time you service the car), but as AWG has said there aren't many older cars about. If the half of them are running unleaded and are cruised around the mpg and emissions (regular unleaded is 90 octane or less on average, so doesn't burn up as quick as 95 or rocket fuel 98 or 105) would be of less concern than the combined powerstation emissions used to power electrical devices such as charge points for electric vehicles. Drive a 5.7 litre pontiac at little more than 2500-3000 rpm (probably less) at 50mph on the open road and you could eke 30mpg or more at about 200g/km at worst (a fresh engine might even run cleaner).

At the end of the day the truth of cars is rarely known as more attention is placed on power, torque and point to point performance with little real world value being acknowledged. Very few publications acknowledge real world usage and all still focus on the fun factor. Don't get me wrong a Firebird was build with fun in mind, but if you are going to get into the minutae of emissions and other boring stuff then look at the competition and consider how you actually test the boring stuff.

• Average white guy and InstaNoodles like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users