Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:33 PM

Imlerith: "Who taught you to swing like this?"

• Corndawg93 likes this

Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:40 PM Edited by Adrenalist, 07 January 2018 - 09:44 PM.

So I put this down for a bit and played some RDR and Horizon. I got bored in RDR in Mexico, so put that back down, and Horizon got too political for me, so I picked Witcher 3 back up.

And I have not been disappointed. At all.

Back in '03 or '04, forget when, on this board, just before Vice City was released, we were discussing the first thing we were going to do when we got the game. Someone in the thread remarked that they were going to explore everything as much as they could, and do all of the available activities before starting the missions. I remember I asked him "Why would you do that??" He responded by saying something to the effect of "I don't know."

That approach intrigued me enough, then I tried it. And it worked. I got a feel for the territory, and a feel of accomplishment, before I bit into the main course. The main course wasn't a confusing mess, because I already felt like I was part of this city. From then on, I was hooked. Every game I've played henceforth, I've done all the exploration and side quests first, before starting the main missions.

Witcher 3 has been no exception. It was mildly overwhelming at first. It was a lot of ground to cover. And I don't know how many hours I have in the game, but it's a lot. And I felt like I already knew Geralt before continuing the main quests. I'm sitting now at lvl 28 and have finally made it to Skellige via the main story. After a few comments made after hearing that lady sing at the bar, I feel like I need to go to Skellige before tensions there increase. So now, I am exploring everything in Skellige before continuing the main missions.

Wow. What a game. I mean, this is, by far, one of my favorite games. Just unbelievable. Can't say more awesome things about it. It's as close to perfect as you can get. It's so deep, it's almost like an abyss in depth. The depth in the side missions is incredible. The main missions so far have been incredible. So human. Wow. Just wow.

I've had a few glitches/issues. Notably the Dog's Life and A's house side quests not completing. I had a save file corrupt (not a big deal, just had to erase it and go back a save). And a few other odds and ends. With a game this massive and detailed in every respect, it's really no big deal.

Here's a few notes of the little things that have amused me.

Spoiler

Anyway, that's it for now. Look forward to continuing my journey and see what Skellige has in store! :D
  • Grae, Raavi, Laker23 and 2 others like this

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Hic sunt dracones

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

20180101165920_1.jpg

20180101211145_1.jpg

Nice to see Geralt still has his dry humor in the Witcher 1. 

• El Dildo, Grae and Audi like this

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

I spent all my Sunday playing Witcher 3 I couldn't stop playing, just done the bloody barren part.im level 8 :lol: I love the story and how it's turning out.
  • Adrenalist likes this

Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

Made it to the top of the mountain at Svorlag, the other night. It took a couple hours of determination. The only reward at the top was the feeling of accomplishment.
XFQ985.jpg
  • Is this The Guy?, fashion and Audi like this

fashion
  • fashion

Do not be sorry. Be better.

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Mars
  • Most Desperate For a Ban 2017

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:26 PM

Have you skyrimed your way up?

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Hic sunt dracones

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

20180113110239_1.jpg

20180114142418_1.jpg

20180114155341_1.jpg

20180114155523_1.jpg

20180114155630_1.jpg

I finished Witcher 1 today, and what a great game it was. If you're a Witcher fan I cannot recommend it enough. It feels a bit more stiff than W3, but once you got the mechanics down, you're in for a great ride. I'm glad I read the books first though, because the game refer to them quite often (more so than Witcher 3 in my experience). Now onward to Witcher 2, followed by a replay of Witcher 3.

• El Dildo and Grae like this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria
  • Best New Member 2017

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

witcher 1 is so sub par on many fronts but the game has such an interesting vision and heart that i can't help but love it.

• Darth Yokel and Grae like this

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:28 AM

DDJJa2a.jpg
  • Grae, Laker23 and Audi like this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:28 AM Edited by Cutter De Blanc, 24 January 2018 - 07:31 AM.

Reading my old posts about how much fun I was having with this game makes me wonder why I stopped playing it, then I realize it's mainly because I didn't really like Geralt much at all, and didn't care about his story. The problem for me perhaps, is that I'm not a fan of the Witcher series, but I quite enjoy the gameplay in this game. It causes a conflict of interest. I think the last thing I did before I stopped playing was bang that redhead chick, and then I think I was supposed to move on to a new area. Never got around to it though, and I sold the game last year when i needed money. Maybe I'll pick it up again soon. Every so often I still want to play it.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Reading my old posts about how much fun I was having with this game makes me wonder why I stopped playing it, then I realize it's mainly because I didn't really like Geralt much at all, and didn't care about his story. The problem for me perhaps, is that I'm not a fan of the Witcher series, but I quite enjoy the gameplay in this game. It causes a conflict of interest. I think the last thing I did before I stopped playing was bang that redhead chick, and then I think I was supposed to move on to a new area. Never got around to it though, and I sold the game last year when i needed money. Maybe I'll pick it up again soon. Every so often I still want to play it.

I would pick it back up just to play Blood and Wine 

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria
  • Best New Member 2017

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

Blood and Wine has no impact if you don't care for Geralt and his story.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:31 AM Edited by Cutter De Blanc, 25 January 2018 - 02:36 AM.

It's a shame, cuz yknow it's like a good story, but I'm just not interested. Geralt, as I recall, is a bit of a gruff asshole, and not someone I really enjoy playing as. I remember the bit where you get to play as the girl he's searching for, and she's a total badass, but then I have to play as a stuffy old man again. And I understand that he is who he is because of what he is, but I just don't like the guy and can't relate.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None
  • Lousy T-Shirt

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:19 AM

I'd recommend the books if you want to understand Geralt better but I know most people can't be arsed to go through them.

Darth Yokel
  • Darth Yokel

A Sith now, aparently.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:27 AM

How can someone dislike Geralt? In The Witcher 3 he's pretty much a hardboiled detective stereotype from film noir. Only with swords and magic.

• El Dildo likes this

fashion
  • fashion

Do not be sorry. Be better.

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Mars
  • Most Desperate For a Ban 2017

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

I really love his sighs and eyerolls when he's annoyed by someone. Oh and his hatred for portals.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

But I don't want to understand him better. It's like a coworker you don't like. His stoicism does not appeal to me. Knowing more about his past isn't going to change that for me. And once again, it's a shame, since it really is a good story, but I dunno, it just never felt like MY story in any way. I was just following the adventures of a man I didn't like or care about in world where I really felt like I was missing a lot of context having not played the previous two games. Maybe I'm not explaining myself properly, but I really did like the gameplay. Perhaps I wish this game hadn't been the 3rd in a series, maybe I would have warmed up to Geralt more, I don't know.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

It never was your story and never supposed to feel like your story in anyway,  it was always Geralt's story.  If you want it to be your story, then  go be the Dragon Born or Sole Survivor or The Inquisitor etc etc. I think the people who don't like the game have the same thought as yours, in which they want it to be their "story", but the game was never meant to be that.  Being Geralt is no different than playing a character like John Marston, in which it will never will be your story, it will always be Johns. 

• fashion likes this

OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick
  • OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:53 PM

Exactly, this is Geralt's story. You probably should have known that as soon as you knew that you were playing as a pre-determined character and there was no character customization part. 

I'm actually surprised you don't like him. Geralt is easily one of my favorite protagonists ever. He's actually pretty humorous too, so he's not always gruff and serious. I did play The Witcher 2 before playing The Witcher 3, so maybe that would have helped you fall in love with him more. 

• feckyerlife and fashion like this

Noale
  • Noale

OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:44 AM

I still have Witcher 1 and Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition on Steam that I can gift to someone who wants it.

Dbzk1999
  • Dbzk1999

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:26 AM

I still have Witcher 1 and Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition on Steam that I can gift to someone who wants it.

Ooh, Ill take that if youre still offering, MBFOWLER99 is the username. Would greatly appreciate it.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria
  • Best New Member 2017

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:33 AM

ehhh I can see why some people might not like Geralt. On the surface, he absolutely is a Gary Stu and it makes a lot of sense when you consider where Sapkowski was at his life when writing him - but he gets a lot more interesting beneath the surface.

Darth Yokel
  • Darth Yokel

A Sith now, aparently.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:03 AM

On the surface, he absolutely is a Gary Stu

Not even on the surface. He only appears as Gary Stu to a bunch of yokels who need someone to kill a monster for them. But as far as everyone else in the game world is concerned, Geralt is a bit of a yokel himself. He's almost constantly out of the loop on things, he doesn't know as much as he should about a lot of stuff and some characters who are perfectly aware of who he is are openly threatening to stab him between the ribs if he does or doesn't do something for them. Most people who know him understand well that he's just a guy who's good at a few things.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None
  • Lousy T-Shirt

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:12 AM

You should see just how big of an idiot he can be in the novels.
  • fashion likes this

Is this The Guy?
  • Is this The Guy?

I don’t have to take this, I’m going home

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:22 AM

I never even heard of Witcher until I got this game and I still liked Geralt. Scratch that, I was Geralt
I just know that I became engrossed in the story. I became Geralt

I don’t know if we are still having to post spoilers but...
Spoiler

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Hic sunt dracones

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

^A lesson to not be greedy when it comes to relationships.

I do miss manwhore Geralt from Witcher 1 a little bit in Witcher 3. 

Noale
  • Noale

OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

Ooh, Ill take that if youre still offering, MBFOWLER99 is the username. Would greatly appreciate it.

Sent request on Steam.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria
  • Best New Member 2017

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

Not even on the surface. He only appears as Gary Stu to a bunch of yokels who need someone to kill a monster for them. But as far as everyone else in the game world is concerned, Geralt is a bit of a yokel himself. He's almost constantly out of the loop on things, he doesn't know as much as he should about a lot of stuff and some characters who are perfectly aware of who he is are openly threatening to stab him between the ribs if he does or doesn't do something for them. Most people who know him understand well that he's just a guy who's good at a few things.

Geralt is a super handsome monster slayer who is super fast, super strong living a life far longer than a normal human being should while the world's most powerful and beautiful women lusting after him at every turn. Personally and politically speaking when you consider Andrzej Sapkowski's personal background and where/how he grew up it all kind of makes sense.

And yes, I know he's described as actually being ugly in the source materials - but somehow that makes it worse not better lmao. He's still a good character with depth beneath the surface that makes him worth caring for.

albanyave
  • albanyave

It's all in the chin.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:30 AM

Been playing Witcher 3 for a bit and I'm really enjoying every part of this game. It is rather time consuming but somehow I don't mind it because of the many surprises that are just waiting for you to stumble across. The characters have there own little story going on when Geralt happens upon them and I like how he can choose to help or not. 

Never played the other two games. Was looking for a great SP game for PS4 and this one kept topping the lists. Also, I can't get enough of Gwent. I play each time I pop the game in. Can't believe that card game cost $120 though. Would love to play with real people at a real card table.

I'm lvl 17.

• Audi likes this

Modojo
  • Modojo

DVA 1 Bad Guys 0

• Members
  • United-States
  • GTAF Snapmatic Logo Winner

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:59 PM

I just started playing this game as well. After finishing TW2, I just felt like I was stepping into the unknown with The Witcher 3 and there's ton of stuff to do in this one haha.

• Audi likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users