Running London 1961 on Windows 8.1?

9 replies to this topic
Neuteboom
  • Neuteboom

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:06 AM

I'm currently going through the 2D Grand Theft Auto games and recently finished the first one. I want to play the London expansion packs, and even though I know I could get my hands on a working copy of London 1969 fairly easy, I have no idea how I'm supposed to get London 1961 working on my PC (Windows 8.1).

The .exe file I was pointed to via this link (http://www.rockstarg...61/Gtal1961.exe) gives me the error "This app can't run on your PC - To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher". I imagine there's a ton of compatibility issues with running a 15 year old game fresh out of the box on new hardware and drivers. Has anyone had any luck getting this .exe to run in a modern Windows environment? Does anyone know if this exe works in an emulator like DOSBox? If not, anyone know of an alternative solution to playing the game? Perhaps a more "convenient" version of the game hosted on a file-sharing website?

Since the expansion only came out for PC as freeware, a PSX emulator or tidy retail copy is out of the question. I've also heard that the .exe won't work on the classic collection Rockstar put out for the 2D games. This definitely makes it one of the hardest games I've ever tried to track down and play, but that only makes me want to play it more! :p Any help and advice would be appreciated.

piko
  • piko

100% or nothing

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:29 PM

I too would like to know this as I am going through the series from the first game onwards (still playing the first game).

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:13 PM

https://dl.dropboxus...1969 & 1961.zip- TAG's version with WS support

• badnews likes this

Neuteboom
  • Neuteboom

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:46 AM

For the record, the files linked by Tomasak run great on my Windows 8.1 desktop. In fact, no install needed! Ran straight out of the zip file. There are three separate executables for GTA1, '69, and '61, so no need to fuddle around with installations or owning the PC version of the game.

I am having some resolution issues as of now, but hopefully a little tweaking will resolve those shortly.

Thanks Tomasak, you really delivered.

Neuteboom
  • Neuteboom

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:54 AM

Correction, looks like F11 allows you change resolutions in-game. Fixed the issue. Thanks again!

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:55 AM

Ye Blackbird88

(or i think he did) posted this, it should resolve some things too

Low FPS on Windows 8 and later 

15px-Info_icon.svg.png If you are using ThirteenAG's WS fix then first rename the ddraw.dll to dsound.dll

(DirectX 10.1+) Use dgVoodoo wrapper

• Download newest dgVoodoo 2.
  • Extract it and place it in a convenient place.
  • Start dgVoodooSetup.exe and configure it.
  • Go to DirectX tab and make sure that Disable a passthru to real DirectX is not checked.
  • Select Virtual 3D Accelerated Card under Videocard and set its RAM to 65536 kB.
  • Click Apply and OK.
  • Now go to MS folder in dgVoodoo's directory and copy files D3DImm.dll and DDraw.dll.
  • Go to the <path-to-game>\WINO and paste the files in there.

badnews
  • badnews

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:39 AM Edited by badnews, 17 February 2016 - 12:55 AM.

Tomasak you are a G for that! Wondered if theres any way to make the menu full screen as at the moment it is just a portion of the screen (presumably because of the WS fix) still works perfectly in game and no major issue if theres no way round it?

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

Sadly no. The creator of the mod ThirteenAG, did not find way to fix it.

badnews
  • badnews

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:37 PM

Sadly no. The creator of the mod ThirteenAG, did not find way to fix it.

No worries man, better that it works in game but not the menu than the other way round!

jm-9
  • jm-9

Player Hater

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:44 AM

I have the original retail London 1969 and the official London 1961 download. One important difference that I've noticed between those versions and the versions in the link that Tomasak provided is that the two games are switched! London 1969 loads London 1961's starting point and missions and the same vice versa. To fix this, go into the UKEDATA folder and rename missuke to missuko and the same the other way around.

Unfortunately, I've also noticed some game breaking bugs. The game crashes if I enter the Jug Swinger (Austin Powers car). They have both also crashed randomly during missions. The retail/official download versions work fine (as long as you use dgVoodoo of course).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users