A lot of you guys who have a directx 10 or directx 10.1 Graphics card, while playing Grand Theft Auto V, when hit the Escape button to access pause menu, a box says: "err_gfx_d3d_init" and the game crashes to desktop! This is a very annoying problem. How can you play a game with no pause menu? But After a lot of searching, I finally fixed it, Here's the steps I did:
1. If its your first time after installing GTA V, run the game and when it loads and you see the characters, hit Escape, the game will crash naturally.
2. Go to: Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA V and then open the file settings.xml with notepad.
3. Hit Ctrl+F, a search box will appear, type "dx" in that( without quotes) and hit Enter.
4. You should see this line there:
<DX_Version value="1" />
Simply change the value from "1" to "0". Don't change anything else.
5. Save the file, exit notepad and restart the game. Now you can easily access pause menu by hitting Escape without crashing!
The above fix is for those of you facing the pause menu problem playing on Graphics cards with directx 10 or directx 10.1 support. If you face the mentioned problem, try the above steps, it worked for me!