25 replies to this topic
Sayak96
  • Sayak96

Sayak96

• Members
  • India

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:18 PM

Hello!

A lot of you guys who have a directx 10 or directx 10.1 Graphics card, while playing Grand Theft Auto V, when hit the Escape button to access pause menu, a box says: "err_gfx_d3d_init" and the game crashes to desktop! This is a very annoying problem. How can you play a game with no pause menu? But After a lot of searching, I finally fixed it, Here's the steps I did:

1. If its your first time after installing GTA V, run the game and when it loads and you see the characters, hit Escape, the game will crash naturally.

2. Go to: Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA V and then open the file settings.xml with notepad.

3. Hit Ctrl+F, a search box will appear, type "dx" in that( without quotes) and hit Enter.

4. You should see this line there:

<DX_Version value="1" />

Simply change the value from "1" to "0". Don't change anything else.

5. Save the file, exit notepad and restart the game. Now you can easily access pause menu by hitting Escape without crashing!

The above fix is for those of you facing the pause menu problem playing on Graphics cards with directx 10 or directx 10.1 support. If you face the mentioned problem, try the above steps, it worked for me!

• RandjA and HenryAT like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:40 PM Edited by Xerukal, 19 April 2015 - 04:41 PM.

This issue is also affecting people with DX 11 cards. The crashes in this case are all completely random, and can happen as frequently or as infrequently as possible.

On my end, I've done everything I can to make sure it's not my config that's the issue. Reinstalled drivers, repaired the game's installation in numerous ways, downgraded drivers. This issue still persists and it is as random as it is annoying. 

Really hope it's acknowledged as an issue by Rockstar for the next patch. I've been asking around in-game with some friends, and it seems I'm not the only one with this issue.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

Odd, I have never heard of this problem. I don't crash here on an AMD HD6870.

x-ReGaL-x
  • x-ReGaL-x

Trying to help out

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:46 PM

I only very rarely have it in SP, never had the issue in MP.

I am on a 980 card.

IchliebeDeutscheland
  • IchliebeDeutscheland

Sündenbock

• Members

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

I disabled fraps in the background and never had this issue again. If you have any OSD software, maybe MSI Afterburner or Playclaw, disable it and test the game.

To quote franklin: "If it works for me, it can work you." :D

• _MK_ likes this

Sayak96
  • Sayak96

Sayak96

• Members
  • India

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions.

After getting rid of this problem, I don't see it anymore! Sometimes I run bandicam in background, but no problems, I hope it will not crash anymore!

:lol:

Jigglyass
  • Jigglyass

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:05 AM

Can vouch for OSD software. In my case even if I close the OSD software i still crash unless I restart my system.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:20 AM Edited by Xerukal, 29 April 2015 - 01:21 AM.

There's a big thread in the Steam Discussions about this issue, and the collective conclusion there is that this is a simply an issue with the game. People have tried everything. From complete system reinstalls and cleanups, to verifying files, downclocking, all of that stuff. Nothing has worked, and the "solutions" that do seem to work only "work" because of the sheer randomness of the crash. Everyone who has reported solutions came back hours or days later saying that the crash has returned. 

http://steamcommunit...03709830303956/

Some posts in this thread seem to suggest that Rockstar is aware of the issue, so let's hope a patch is in the very near future. This crash is driving me insane, because it makes me very unreliable when it comes to activities like jobs and heists, as I can crash at any moment without any way of predicting or stopping it. 

Thalyn
  • Thalyn

▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:21 AM Edited by Thalyn, 29 April 2015 - 02:23 AM.

Can vouch for OSD software. In my case even if I close the OSD software i still crash unless I restart my system.

If your crashes have the same error (D3D Init), then maybe, you have another OSD software running in background and "invisible" (not displayed but still here) as we see with lot of monitors which are a OSD software, for the settings and monitoring (for examples, some OSD softwares are handled by the monitor itself and doesn't cause crashes, but others are handled in Windows by a service/process in the background, sometimes visible in the systray)... .

Even some "mouse" are a OSD software now....

anyway, this error is due to 4 things:
- Graphic drivers improperly installed,
- and/or DirectX improperly installed,
- and/or Wrong DirectX version (graphic card not compatible),
- and/or game improperly installed, or (40% of cases) the game engine can't handle the overlays from third party software(s) (probably the real cause of this issue).  An OSD software (or the game Engine) that creates a conflict between DirectX (D3D), Windows and the game engine/Third party OSD software.

For now, play with DX10 until rockstar release a patch to solve this problem of untimely crashes or check if you haven't other OSD software in background, or as i said on another thread, try the "windowed borderless", it can be a solution (with win8.x where the border act like an overlay, but doesn't cause crashes usually (but this + that + these = crash), and with Win vista/7 where the Aero border act like an overlay and can be the cause of some D3D crashes).

• vicboh0413 likes this

RedIndianRobin
  • RedIndianRobin

SOMEBODY CUT MY THROAT!!

• Members
  • India

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:26 AM

I got this crash once after gaming for 2 straight hours and that's fine for me. :) 

Marvs
  • Marvs

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:16 AM

Been getting this fairly regularly since launch, I've had to do several missions many times as it seems most common on the mission complete screen, the first heist is getting rather infuriating now! Just done it for the second time this morning, crashed out on mission complete.

Rockstar gave me a few options, the directx value 2/1 - 0, this (as I thought) just enables DX10 which makes my game stutter like crazy, I also don't really considering taking a graphical hit a fix, but I guess they aren't entirely sure what's going on. I was running EVGA precision X software and thought this might be to blame, but last night I turned off as many background programs as I could and was still getting the error!!

Oddly enough whenever I get the error message and am pulled back to windows it informs me my social club account was logged in somewhere else, I know for a fact it wasn't because I have changed the password about 20 times in the last week or so but I wonder if something to do with the social club is playing up with the game.

Running on an i5 2500k, EVGA SC GTX970, 16GB 1600DDR3 Memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated however I feel it's not an issue that can be easily fixed.

x-ReGaL-x
  • x-ReGaL-x

Trying to help out

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:12 AM

If you have any OC on your GPU, then remove it.

Fixes the problem 8 out of 10 times.

Marvs
  • Marvs

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:21 AM

If you have any OC on your GPU, then remove it.

Fixes the problem 8 out of 10 times.

Yeah I tried that, for a while it seemed like it worked but then the issue just returned!

vicboh0413
  • vicboh0413

SwedenHacker

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:22 PM

I get the same error, But not in the pause menu, I start the game, Then it lags like bullsh*t and then i get the error message

Loudy
  • Loudy

It's Magic!

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:47 PM

By any chance do any of you play with a wireless xbox 360 pad? I was able to trigger this error by switching on my pad while the game was running. I now believe it's the xbox 360 wireless "Microsoft Xbox Accessories" Driver that causes this error for me.

• Marsi4eg likes this

Biff73
  • Biff73

101% Red neck

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:00 PM Edited by Biff73, 23 May 2015 - 11:00 PM.

OP,what you suggested is merely choosing which version of direct x gta v will run on & it will not help one bit,you could download & install direct x 9.0c june 2010 & this should help keep gta v running more stable

amarauma
  • amarauma

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Brazil

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:10 AM Edited by amarauma, 26 July 2015 - 05:13 AM.

For some reason i have two instalations of GTA V in my PC.

Today i was trying some mods in one of this installs and, after have to KILL GTAV.exe in Task manager, this error hapenned...

The strange thing is why in the other instalation the error not hapen.

Tryng to solve i start to replace the archives from the afected instalation.

When i replaced the update folder, the error was gone.

I think which the game corrupt some archive in that folder If a error ocurr...

If a error hapen again i will try to identify what archive is.

You can download this folder in torrents. Are 6gb. Best than 60gb...

nexja
  • nexja

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:06 AM Edited by nexja, 27 July 2015 - 05:02 AM.

disregard

RandjA
  • RandjA

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Serbia

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

OMG! Thank you very much! I got this problem like 1 month... Now I can open the pause menu! Thank you bro!

Marsi4eg
  • Marsi4eg

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

By any chance do any of you play with a wireless xbox 360 pad? I was able to trigger this error by switching on my pad while the game was running. I now believe it's the xbox 360 wireless "Microsoft Xbox Accessories" Driver that causes this error for me.

Uninstalled xbox360 accessories app and crashes gone. Seems like Big picture mode have some collisions with xbox360 accessories while accessing gamepad stats etc.

stretchx9
  • stretchx9

Breaking All The Stupid Rules

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:54 AM Edited by stretchx9, 27 September 2015 - 06:01 AM.

Uninstalled xbox360 accessories app and crashes gone. Seems like Big picture mode have some collisions with xbox360 accessories while accessing gamepad stats etc.

No doubt that your game plays really good with just the K&M.

There is probably nothing is wrong with the Xbox controller or it's software. There is no Xbox360 compatibility issue with GTAV. Switching to an earlier DirectX version has been reported to fix some issues that seemingly couldn't be fixed.

Here is an example :

With Far Cry4, I had an issue with either the Xbox360 wired or wireless controller ( the game would not load to the splash screen if the controller was turned on or plugged in and once it loaded, the game stuttered really bad with the controller present ). I never found a direct fix or workaround but the issue completely disappeared when I upgraded from Windows7 to 8.1. Others reported that reinstalling their OS fixed the issue. Only a few people reported this problem.

When these kind of issues with GTAV effect only a very few people, I would say it's inherent to the the integrity of your current OS. 

Marsi4eg
  • Marsi4eg

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:41 PM Edited by Marsi4eg, 27 September 2015 - 01:45 PM.

People always say just their OS version. They don't talk about using gamepad or K&M, using retail or steam version. Using normal steam desctop mode, or using Big Picture

I hadn't any crash when playing in normal mode, crashes happened only in BigPicture, after uninstalling xbox360 accessories utility crashes just stopped to appear. Played for a couple of hours every day in a week. So there IS some collision between Steam BPM and xbox360 accessories utility. BPM shows battery status etc. as 'accessories' do. Controller is XInput-based, works on DirectX base. We're getting the DX error in that message. Just imagine that crash isn't caused by video hardware or software. It may be caused by Xinput controller

P.S. of course, I'm talking about the same type of crash which appears ANYTIME you just play the game and mostly in online mode, not about 'pause' case.

CyborgZombieJesus
  • CyborgZombieJesus

Red Baron of GTA:O

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:55 PM

I had to reinstall GTA V. After playing MP for about 45 mins I got this error. I have never had this error before and I got the game on it's release. Rockstar and GTA problem after problem after f*cking problem an endless stream of f*cking problems constantly patched with new problems. If I had a physical copy of this game I'd take it out to pasture and by that I'd take a f*cking hammer to the bitch.

I'm seriously sick of this game's problems and Rockstar's useless, incompetent, lying, underachieving and pathetic support team, if you couldn't tell already. Seriously you think with the hundreds of millions that the twats made they could invest in fixing their f*cking game once and for all. I would really like to know what beta testing they do before releasing new patches also, if at all. Every new patch brings a whole new host of, you guessed it, problems. 

thedrunkestpeasant
  • thedrunkestpeasant

Manatee Indivijual

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:06 AM Edited by thedrunkestpeasant, 09 April 2016 - 07:09 AM.

I feel your pain, I really do. Had this problem for a long damn time. Was at the end of my wits trying to figure out what it was/googling fixes. Found one telling me to lower the mem clock and gpu clock (which I didn't want to do at first). Haven't had any problems since. It has been close to 6 months. When I go back to playing with the clocks at default it happens again.

Himeros
  • Himeros

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:10 AM

I have a GTX 660 and after the Gunrunning update my game started crashing way too often and now i'm trying the DX value =2 changing it to 0

Xer0_
  • Xer0_

Hands off the merchandise!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 4 weeks ago

A note for Pascal GPU users: since Nvidia has locked voltages to a maximum of 1.095v, large overclocks of over 100 Mhz are very unstable oftentimes with GTA V and will most likely cause a gfx crash. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users